Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Trailer

11 minutes ago, Techwright said:

And then there are the guest appearances of characters from other Marvel TV and movie properties, the season 7 guest being my personal favorite.

Oh man, looks like I'll have to give the series a re-watch as well because I can't remember to whom you are referring! 😄

Nice adds to the list! 🍻

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

8 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Nah, let's keep that one a surprise. 😉

Adding to the list of appearances ....

Are we forgetting Samuel L Jackson his very badass self for a great, small moment?

Spoiler

Nick shows up to deal with someone particularly nasty. In a small aside, he and Phil argue about whether Phil should have been resurrected, which is dealt with in-universe. The nasty, invasive, highly unethical procedure and very limited resources needed were reserved for the death of an Avenger.

Nick says... "I know."

Because Phil is an Avenger.

To haul this mildly back on topic, it's odd that AOS isn't considered "official" MCU since they reflected and interacted in small ways with the main MCU continuity.

The biggest of which was...

Spoiler

The Winter Soldier's HYDRA reveal. Even as a diehard Phil fan I admit it seems like S1 takes a while to get going. But they're just building you up. 

Lulling you into a false sense of security that this is a neat little freak-of-the-week show like Grimm or The Blacklist that ABC and others thrive on.

Then it delivers the kind of I am your father punch actors and writers kill for.

Equally strong was the bit in S2 where a fan fave looks like they've been killed off... but then...

If you're getting technical, AOS identified themselves as Earth-616 - the main Marvel comics continuity - whereas MCU is Earth-199999. 

I think it's not so much to do with preserving canon as a straight fight for control of Marvel IPs within Disney - of which ABC is a part, but one was publically relegated to "legacy media" (ouch). That fight's been sorted out. Brutally. All Marvel IPs are now back under control of a central content management team, and the MCU is beginning to sneak in good bits and key actors from the other films and shows: Cox, D'Onofrio, and Hardy so far. So there's hope that the AOS crew could show up in new IPs or movies. Quake already has in multiple cartoons and games.

Speaking of which... since Sinister Strange from What If? seems to be making a guest appearance in DS:MoM, I would love to see Super-Peggy and maybe Hydra Stomper skinny-Cap on screen (Atwell was extremely up for it, but was also filming a Mission:Impossible at the time.) 

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:21 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Are we forgetting Samuel L Jackson his very badass self for a great, small moment?

To haul this mildly back on topic, it's odd that AOS isn't considered "official" MCU since they reflected and interacted in small ways with the main MCU continuity.

If you're getting technical, AOS identified themselves as Earth-616 - the main Marvel comics continuity - whereas MCU is Earth-199999. 

First off, nice catch on our fumble.

Second, AoS is essentially what He Who Remains was explaining in Loki:  they're a timeline that dovetails into everything the MCU does right up until the snap (blip). It's right at that point that there's a variance that shoots their universe into another branch on the timeline.  Because no one blips out, I still maintain Thor went for the head, but I'll accept the argument that it was a combination of the changes to the big bad fight for the AoS as well as something the Avengers & Waukanda did differently.  Perhaps Quill listened to reason on Titan...

Naaah.

• 3 weeks later

Or is it Zombie Scarlet Witch finishing a meal of brains (or if it's Peter Quill's head, a light snack?)

They hired Raimi... they got Raimi.

• Haha 2

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

On 4/15/2022 at 4:12 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Or is it Zombie Scarlet Witch finishing a meal of brains (or if it's Peter Quill's head, a light snack?)

They hired Raimi... they got Raimi.

Well, they did put out a warning some time back that this would be MCU's first true horror movie.  (Though the What If...? zombie episode was probably the first horror production in the MCU.)

That said, it doesn't feel like zombie Baba Yaga.  The clothes are in great shape other than what's smeared on them, and Wanda looks mostly intact.  That's not to say we're not witnessing yet another terrifying version of Wanda, something worse for not having the quantum plague.

On 4/20/2022 at 4:17 AM, Techwright said:

(Though the What If...? zombie episode was probably the first horror production in the MCU.)

The Ultimate Strange episode was nudging into that territory - thematically darker than anything they'd done on screen before.

(Especially if you're a gnome.)

And was kind of a Hammer-ish morality tale to itself: is it that Ultimate Strange showing up in MoM?

Speaking of which: Our Peg got stuck fighting an interdimensional creature not unlike Gargantos - is she going to make a cameo too?

(Hayley was filming a Mission Impossible at the time, so I'm not hopeful - but you never know...)

13 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

The Ultimate Strange episode was nudging into that territory - thematically darker than anything they'd done on screen before.

(Especially if you're a gnome.)

And was kind of a Hammer-ish morality tale to itself: is it that Ultimate Strange showing up in MoM?

Speaking of which: Our Peg got stuck fighting an interdimensional creature not unlike Gargantos - is she going to make a cameo too?

(Hayley was filming a Mission Impossible at the time, so I'm not hopeful - but you never know...)

You're right.  I'd forgotten the Ultimate Strange episode came first.  If it is that Ultimate Strange, I've got a lot of questions, starting with, how did he end as a good guy guarding possibly the most important McGuffin in the MCU and suddenly show up in live action as what appears to be a bad guy?

I know Hayley is probably the biggest fan of of the Captain Carter concept and has clearly expressed an interest in playing such in live action.  Here's hoping for at least a cameo.

There's Ultimate Strange (who may or may not be a bad guy) and Defender Strange (who might face/heel turn on the Emperor Cole principle - remember, people putting up statues to you doesn't make automatically you the Good Guy. At All.)

I saw a fan-made video which slowed down a clip with Wanda, and Zombie Wanda does look to be in it as well - or at least Wanda with a lethal-looking facial burn and very glowy eyes.

Here's hoping for Cap Carter in DS:MoM or CapA IV.

So, new TV spot for DS:MoM just dropped, aaaaaannndd...

Spoiler

guesswho.thumb.jpeg.7511d3798450f559ae9a530e3884593a.jpeg

Peggy's back, y'all. *happy dance* 

...annnnd apparently getting her ass kicked by Wanda, but, well, I think that's going to happen to a lot of people.

Also, we get a Maria Rambeau-variant Captain Marvel from Lashana Lynch, John Krasinski as Mr. Fantastic, and Anson Mount as Black Bolt.

(Well, he's getting something out of that damn silly series finally).

What's interesting is where this fight is taking place - this appears to be the interdimensional Illuminati's HQ. As a Guardian Of The Multiverse, Cap Carter might well be summoned to help that lot out. But which witch is bein' a... okay, are there multiple Wandas wandering around too?

1 hour ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

So, new TV spot for DS:MoM just dropped, aaaaaannndd...

Hide contents

guesswho.thumb.jpeg.7511d3798450f559ae9a530e3884593a.jpeg

Peggy's back, y'all. *happy dance* 

...annnnd apparently getting her ass kicked by Wanda, but, well, I think that's going to happen to a lot of people.

Also, we get a Maria Rambeau-variant Captain Marvel from Lashana Lynch, John Krasinski as Mr. Fantastic, and Anson Mount as Black Bolt.

(Well, he's getting something out of that damn silly series finally).

What's interesting is where this fight is taking place - this appears to be the interdimensional Illuminati's HQ. As a Guardian Of The Multiverse, Cap Carter might well be summoned to help that lot out. But which witch is bein' a... okay, are there multiple Wandas wandering around too?

Waiting for New Rockstars' breakdown predicting a Mephisto appearance.  😉

As to some of the names you brought up:

Spoiler

We've got a confirmation of Krasinski and Mount?  I've not been following this closely, so I'm not sure where that comes from.  Are Mr. Fantastic and Black Bolt supposed to be seated members of the Illuminati?

I will say this:  Anson Mount was the best part of the otherwise rubbish heap that was The Inhumans.  I'd never seen him before, and he quickly won me over with his skill at communicating wordlessly.  He cemented my opinion of him when he took on the Captain Christopher Pike role and made it his own.

Definitely looking forward to Captain Carter.

One last thought:  This trailer gave a close-up of the Ultron robots faces, and I'm thrilled to see they went for the ant mouth look that I always found so cold and alien.  It also hints, to me anyway, that these Ultrons were created by an Ant-Man, so we might see a Hank Pym in one of the Illuminati seats.

The makeup of the Illuminati council is still (strong) rumour right now, but it would make sense. The original Illuminati represented each archetype of hero: Science, Mutant, Law (Iron Man), Magic (originally Doc Strange, obvs, but maybe Mordo nabbed that gig?), Inhumans, so on and so forth.

I would guess each one of these are the top dogs from across the Multiverse, not just one world or the MCU.

BTW, I think you missed something in an earlier movie...

Spoiler

1760922361_Screenshot2022-04-29at13_43_30.thumb.png.84bba939bd2f9261f6eb51b0decfe79d.png

See? SEE? Marvel are that sneaky they got it past you by putting it into a whole other franchise.

*wanders off frothing and shouting MEPHISTO at pigeons*

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2022 at 12:37 AM, Techwright said:

We've got a confirmation of [REDACTED]?

Welp:

Spoiler

Yes. There's been a leak of part of the Illuminati scene and Krasinski and Mount both present (Mount's outfit still regrettably including head-mounted tuning fork.)

Also: four superpowered heroes vs a Wanda? No contest. While I might be a Super-Peggy superfan, her return to the MCU is likely to be short-lived: Black Bolt buys it when Wanda inverts his scream attack back onto his own head, and if she can do that, flinging a chunk of vibranium around isn't going to make a dent.

Note again: a Wanda. I have a strong feeling we're dealing with multiple Wandas and Stranges interacting; certainly the hint is that the Illuminati have dealt with a few different ones before - and this version of Peggy isn't a fan of his...

1 hour ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Welp:

Hide contents

Note again: a Wanda. I have a strong feeling we're dealing with multiple Wandas and Stranges interacting; certainly the hint is that the Illuminati have dealt with a few different ones before - and this version of Peggy isn't a fan of his...

Which is very interesting because we've seen this theme before in the symphony that is MCU...

Spoiler

Namely multiple Lokis having been dealt with by the powerful controlling group, the TVA.  If this is indeed the way StrangeWanda goes, the parallels can't have been missed by the MCU top brass.  Which makes me wonder if there's a crossing point.

On 4/29/2022 at 7:37 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

The makeup of the Illuminati council is still (strong) rumour right now, but it would make sense. The original Illuminati represented each archetype of hero: Science, Mutant, Law (Iron Man), Magic (originally Doc Strange, obvs, but maybe Mordo nabbed that gig?), Inhumans, so on and so forth.

I would guess each one of these are the top dogs from across the Multiverse, not just one world or the MCU.

BTW, I think you missed something in an earlier movie...

Reveal hidden contents

1760922361_Screenshot2022-04-29at13_43_30.thumb.png.84bba939bd2f9261f6eb51b0decfe79d.png

See? SEE? Marvel are that sneaky they got it past you by putting it into a whole other franchise.

*wanders off frothing and shouting MEPHISTO at pigeons*

If you liked :What If?, you'll enjoy this film.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

So: many spoilers ahoy...

Spoiler
  • Don't be put off by the excessive running time. There is barely a minute that drags. 
  • Yup, Peg vs Darkhold*-enhanced Wanda doesn't go well for Team Britain... eesh...
  • ...Though perhaps the most classically Raimi exit is reserved for Chuck X. Not a dry seat in the house, I tell ya.
  • We are indeed in a multi-Wanda scenario, though not in the way I thought.
  • Honestly... felt a tiny bit let down by the way it played out with W and the kids. (May have ordered a Wanda Was Right t-shirt off RedBubble)
  • But having both of them see what they could've won and fate dictates they can't have, yeah, that's a classic. As is the "every universe" line.
  • Cumberbatch may have his character's name on the title, but this is no question Olsen's movie.
  • Still no Mephisto. Sorry, nerds.

*WARNING: Reading the Darkhold may cause feelings of depression, megalomania, and feelings of euphoria followed by ultimately crushed dreams. Other side effects may include spontaneous limb or organ growth, itching, irritable bowel syndrome, the accidental destruction of the Multiverse / and or your current franchise, and piles. The Society of American Wizards recommends a dose of no more than one page per day in isolation, in an apple orchard, where things are very calm. Do not take if suffering from previous loss or trauma or if you have previously created your own pocket reality with showtunes. Report any new effects to your nearest dimensional warder.

• 1 month later

Just rezzing this thread for a small thing.

Today, I went to the Salesforce World Tour conference in London, which, for no particular software-related reason at all and everything to do with their CMO being a mahoosive fangirl, had one Benedict Cumberbatch as their final keynote speaker.

He was charming, self-effacing, and more than a bit sweary (for which he kept self-effacingly apologising). Talking about the movies, acting, and being a sorta-activist for good causes. Some of which, like MND and cancer research, he admits he knows little about technically but is happy to lend his megaphone.

I'm aware this wouldn't be news, except for one tiny slip...

Spoiler

[on the topic of the forthcoming Multiverse movies]

"I like being the gateway character for all of these new stories, and what they're doing between Disney and Fox...

[stops dead, possibly spotting one of Feige's ninjas in the rafters]

...I've said too much."

Chuck X has already sorta crossed into the MCU, but more X-rated fun on the way?

FYI, if you've not seen it yet, DS:MoM is now on Disney+.

No deleted scenes or gag reel yet, but they do have a full widescreen version, and a new one they call "IMAX-enhanced": like the regular crop-n-track TV/airplane version, but which changes ratio in key scenes where you might miss something. Might give that a try.

On 6/22/2022 at 8:41 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

FYI, if you've not seen it yet, DS:MoM is now on Disney+.

Finally got the chance to see it.  It's got the Sam Raimi stamp all over it, right down to you-know-who in a goofy fun cameo.  (Well, at least he wasn't selling chainsaws.)

Thoughts with notable spoilers:

Spoiler

Did it look so cheesy in the theater?  The CGI felt far off at times, and this coming from one who normally doesn't whine about CGI (remembering when we only had Harryhausen stop-motion makes me appreciative).  Perhaps that was a deliberate Raimi choice?

Hate to be the clean-up crew called in to remove a giant tentacled thingy and giant eyeball before the stench takes Manhattan.

Curious that all that it took to stop Mordo was a fall in a ditch.  Did he have no parkour skills like his opponent?  You'd think he'd want to free himself and go after the real threat to his universe.

Not really appreciative that alt-universe heroes decide the best way to deal with a Scarlet Witch is a full frontal assault.  That might be Photon's (Miss Marvel's) style, but even Captain Carter would be more inclined to assess the situation and use strategy.  Multiply that times 1000 when talking about Reed Richard.  At least Prof. X played to his strengths.

Does nobody in any universe realize that people imprisoned in plexi-glass prisons might need a chair or cot, and definitely will need a commode and a touch of privacy?  Barbarians.

Three days of self-punching over a little disagreement?  Forget Strange.  That's Dr. Savage right there.

Anyone else see the wizards' fortress shield go up and think:  Okay, now what, eggheads?  It's not like she's going to leave anytime soon.  No real plan for ending an assault.

Why wasn't rag-spear monster waiting for them at the second attempt at acquiring the white book?

Interesting multi-universe "law" there about incursions breaking down other universes, thereby preventing romances, families, etc.  It will be interesting to see if it is consistently held to in the MCU, especially with the show Loki and the coming of Kang.

Odd that they didn't offer Scarlet Witch the chance to find a universe where the boys had lost their mother.  That seems the easy fix, though still the whole universe melting would probably occur.

I like how they explained that Scarlet Witch required the multiverse travel powers beyond finding a pair of kids, but to adapt to any situation for her boys.

Loved the Ultron classic-look bots.  Just wish they'd been more than window dressing.

I do wish they'd sojourned in more universes.  Seeing a host of them in mere seconds wasn't as satisfactory.  What we did set foot in was fascinating, though.

Props to Olsen and Cumbersome.  They did a great job.

Find another universe and bring us more Captain Carter!

It did good to tie in the last few Marvel productions and kept my attention for the most part. It felt rather short and I would have rather not known the 'villain' so early in the film, but they did manage to keep me from guessing 100% of the twists (some, not all). Def better than the related Wanda show.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

20 hours ago, Techwright said:

right down to you-know-who in a goofy fun cameo.

...and a very Evil cameo right at the end of the credits.

And, yes, the Delta '88 is in there. Twice.

Thoughts in purple, because goth:

Spoiler

Perhaps that was a deliberate Raimi choice?

Raimi always preferred practical effects and uses CGI more sparingly, so I can imagine him having some fun with it if he's got to go nuts with it for Strange spells.
In particular, the sawblade was very Green Lantern, but the music room duel felt straight out of Looney Tunes.

But that said, the sequence where Wanda figures out how to use reflections to escape the mirror realm - then getting out Ringu-style - that was beautiful.

Hate to be the clean-up crew called in to remove a giant tentacled thingy and giant eyeball before the stench takes Manhattan.

Of all the projects Marvel thought up and cancelled, I still want to see Damage Control. Think Agents Of SHIELD meets Parks & Rec.

Curious that all that it took to stop Mordo was a fall in a ditch.  Did he have no parkour skills like his opponent? 

Parkour! This Mordo seemed smug(ger), and a little out of shape from his successes.

Interesting multi-universe "law" there about incursions breaking down other universes, thereby preventing romances, families, etc.  It will be interesting to see if it is consistently held to in the MCU, especially with the show Loki and the coming of Kang.

Odd that they didn't offer Scarlet Witch the chance to find a universe where the boys had lost their mother.  That seems the easy fix, though still the whole universe melting would probably occur.

Already broken in What If, where Uatu relocates a Natasha to a universe where the local version had been murdered.
That could be because Uatu being the superbeing and all, he can do what he feels like.

Or they could develop it a bit towards the original version - the Incursions are triggered by paradoxes. Dreamwalking - two versions of Wanda existing in the same realm at the same time - could be one such method. Creepy Strange wandering the multiverse knocking off his counterparts via dreams could well be another for the same reason. Natasha picking up where the old one left off, or 616 Stephen and 838 Christine adding up to a multiple of 2 - not such a problem?

(This was also the gag they used in Man In The High Castle - people could only jump universes if their counterpart in the other universe was already dead.)

Props to Olsen and Cumbersome.  They did a great job.

Absolute bravura performance from Olsen - every flavour of emotion on display, even a genuinely frightening unstoppable-monster sequence. Benadryl Chumbawumba also had a good day at the office, especially in any scene with Christine: but playing Zombie Strange must have been all kinds of fun.

Find another universe and bring us more Captain Carter!

I have a feeling they will. Peg's already a fan favourite, and the two-part Mission Impossible saga coming up should make Hayley even more of a bankable star.