Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

If the story is good, the characters well written and acted, and things fit into the greater LotR mythos organically, more power to the creative team.  If, as some have voiced concern about, modern day politics take center stage, it'll be a trainwreck that does a disservice to Tolkien's legacy...

• Thumbs Up 4

I have seen those videos where the producers and writers are already insulting actual fans who are (rightfully so in my opinion) questioning some of their creative decisions.  This is definitely a huge red flag for me.  Honestly, I am no Tolkien scholar, however I do not think Galadriel was ever Galadriel Warrior Princess.  This is just one of several things I notice so far.  I get that there will always be some liberty being taken, however deviating too far from the source material is never a good idea, at least to me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll give it a try when it comes out. I enjoyed Wheel of Time but it definitely had its flaws and I felt some the story changes took the focus off of the actual story. We'll see how this one goes.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

For me personally, it all depends on how far a departure the changes are.  There were quite a lot of deviations from the source material in the Peter Jackson LoTR films.  Some were unfortunate albeit necessary to keep the film to a reasonable length, some were true improvements, some were just awful in my opinion.  I will say that from interviews I have seen, everyone involved with the Jackson LoTR films were very careful and consideration about the source material and keeping as close to Tolkien as possible.  Many of the changes I am seeing with this Amazon series seem to be motivated by political correctness over anything else.  I do not think that is a good place to start from. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Mopery said:

Taking offense in the name of Tolkien?

I've reread the thread just to make sure I didn't miss something, but did anyone claim to be taking offense "in the name of Tolkien"?  What I did see was a bunch of people stating their opinions or pointing out how creative decisions made wildly deviate or outright contradict Tolkien's original writings...

• Thanks 1

I'm a sucker for anything in this genre, so of course I'll watch it. 

WoT showed us that it's actually possible to deliver some fantastic fantasy visuals in the first season of TV show.  I'm hoping this will continue that trend.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

3 hours ago, biostem said:

What I did see was a bunch of people stating their opinions or pointing out how creative decisions made wildly deviate or outright contradict Tolkien's original writings...

I think I get it, you all don't want to see the story butchered the way it was in the LOTR Trilogy, right?

• Haha 2

What, me worry?

4 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I'm a sucker for anything in this genre, so of course I'll watch it. 

I am thrilled that I don't have to be.  In the 80's I'd watch anything fantasy or sci-fi because there was so little of it.  Now I can be choosy.  It is nice that the genres I like are finally big enough that I actually have choices.

• Thumbs Up 2

Amazon needs to redo LOTR verbatim, without any music(outside what is played or sung by characters in the book), and exacting detail on all of the costumes, recipes and accents in the show.

True fans would be overjoyed with the Council of Elrond taking 5 episodes to complete, and I can only imagine the fanfare of old Tom Bombadil's 3 hours on screen.

Yes, what we really need to do is keep it all exactly how Tolkien wrote it.

• Haha 3

What, me worry?

On 2/15/2022 at 10:01 AM, DougGraves said:

I am not a Tolkein fan so I am happy with them making any changes to make it a good show.

Which is a big change from the MCU where I was bothered by anything that did not match the comics from 40 years ago.

At which point, why not simply create their own thing?
Why take someone else's stuff and jack it around into an unrecognizable form?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

On 2/15/2022 at 1:42 PM, Mopery said:

Taking offense in the name of Tolkien?

I believe there's a term for taking offense for things you'd think others would take offense at, but I can't think of it offhand...

I'm not "offended".
I simply think that if they want to tell a certain type of story with a certain message, they should create their own thing.
Not hijack someone else's property and jack it around to make it fit.

It's not "right".  It's not "wrong".  It's just how I feel about it.

2 hours ago, Mopery said:

Amazon needs to redo LOTR verbatim, without any music(outside what is played or sung by characters in the book), and exacting detail on all of the costumes, recipes and accents in the show.

True fans would be overjoyed with the Council of Elrond taking 5 episodes to complete, and I can only imagine the fanfare of old Tom Bombadil's 3 hours on screen.

Yes, what we really need to do is keep it all exactly how Tolkien wrote it.

Snide over-reaction doesn't become you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mopery said:

I think I get it, you all don't want to see the story butchered the way it was in the LOTR Trilogy, right?

For nearly half a century, LOTR was considered unfilmable due to the depth and breadth of the material.

Film is a VERY different medium, and there were always going to be compromises.

Jackson, and the people he worked with were actual fans of the works, and tried to retain as much as they could.  But, in the end, some things didn't translate well into film.  And you can't ask someone to sit for 6 hours in a movie theater (especially not with the "Bladder Assassinator" size drinks).  Nor can you ask theater owners to take a massive haircut due to what such films would do to their per-theater revenues.

Jackson & Co walked right up to that line, toed the line a few times, played around with jumping over, and made as few cuts and changes as they possibly could to still deliver the films on-point.

And most of the cuts were things that simply didn't move the plot forward and were just "Oh and this happens", with no actual payoff.

What we're looking at with the Amazon series is the equivalent of handing it over to JJ Abrams.
"Cut out all the dialog!  We need 300% more lens flare!"

It's the difference between having a skin tag removed and having your entire epidermis flayed off.

• Thanks 1

Ha!  I accidentally posted another thread, somehow missing this one.  I deleted it.

The video in the OP is pretty much pretty pictures at this point but it did raise a couple of questions.  To better understand Tolkien timings, I tried to put together a pretty large timeline last year, and I just referenced it to aid me in my questions:

1. When is the series set?  I know it is the Second Age, but that was 3441 years (ending in Sauron having the ring cut from his hand in battle).  The rings of power were forged circa S.A. 1500, but Sauron came to the elves in disguise around S.A. 1200 and began to teach them the craft that would lead to making the rings of power.   So that's 3 potential time periods to select from, or perhaps span, but if so, that's 2241 years.  True the elves and Sauron are pretty much immortal, but you'd have to be replacing dwarf and human characters regularly if doing the span story.

2. What is that port city in the early shot?  It's clear from the statue that it is either Numenorian or that of their descendants.  Numenor was settled in S.A. 0032, and settlers from Numenor began settling the coastline in S.A. 600.  Numenor was sunk in S.A. 3319, so it could very well be a port city on the island.  I also wondered if it might be Dol-Amroth which was settled in the Second Age, but as there's a single tall mountain in the background, I suspect the port city might be Romenna.  Other possibilities?

Other than that, I must say the elf who grabbed an arrow mid-flight seems just like I'd imagine an elf to be who'd had a thousand years or more to practice his craft.  I'm guessing by his appearance that he's a wood elf.

18 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

I'm not "offended".
I simply think that if they want to tell a certain type of story with a certain message, they should create their own thing.
Not hijack someone else's property and jack it around to make it fit.

It's not "right".  It's not "wrong".  It's just how I feel about it.

Already seen the whole series already? Nice!

Good job!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

What, me worry?

8 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

For nearly half a century, LOTR was considered unfilmable due to the depth and breadth of the material.

Film is a VERY different medium, and there were always going to be compromises.

Jackson, and the people he worked with were actual fans of the works, and tried to retain as much as they could.  But, in the end, some things didn't translate well into film.  And you can't ask someone to sit for 6 hours in a movie theater (especially not with the "Bladder Assassinator" size drinks).  Nor can you ask theater owners to take a massive haircut due to what such films would do to their per-theater revenues.

Jackson & Co walked right up to that line, toed the line a few times, played around with jumping over, and made as few cuts and changes as they possibly could to still deliver the films on-point.

And most of the cuts were things that simply didn't move the plot forward and were just "Oh and this happens", with no actual payoff.

What we're looking at with the Amazon series is the equivalent of handing it over to JJ Abrams.
"Cut out all the dialog!  We need 300% more lens flare!"

It's the difference between having a skin tag removed and having your entire epidermis flayed off.

Right.

So the changes you approve of are perfectly fine and dandy, but any changes you don't approve of are horrible and potentially lethal.

Got it.

• Thumbs Up 1

What, me worry?