Obi-Wan Kenobi

Thought on Techwright's thought:

Spoiler

Why are there no Inquisitors left in A New Hope?

Again, Filoni I am not, and we've seen two very short teasers. So wild speculation again. BUT...

• I am sensing very, very strong Hero's Journey / Seeker / dark-to-light energy from Third Sister, especially the way she's shot and framed.
    Nobody gets The Hero Angle in Filoni's world unless they're a Hero. 
  • There's also the shots of the Inquisitors exploring what looks like a temple. A common thing when you're dealing with fanatics - either in stories or realtime - is that they don't like new information that jars with dogma. They either rationalise it away, denounce it as a lie, and/or try to violently destroy any evidence. What inconvenient truth might Third Sister find?
  • A rebellion or even a loss of absolute faith among the Inquisitors - even one Inquisitor - could spook the Emperor into 66'ing the lot of them.
  • Spudhead also seems like an expendable mid-level Boss to me before Vader.

• Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

17 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Thought on Techwright's thought:

Hide contents

Why are there no Inquisitors left in A New Hope?

Again, Filoni I am not, and we've seen two very short teasers. So wild speculation again. BUT...

• I am sensing very, very strong Hero's Journey / Seeker / dark-to-light energy from Third Sister, especially the way she's shot and framed.
    Nobody gets The Hero Angle in Filoni's world unless they're a Hero. 
  • There's also the shots of the Inquisitors exploring what looks like a temple. A common thing when you're dealing with fanatics - either in stories or realtime - is that they don't like new information that jars with dogma. They either rationalise it away, denounce it as a lie, and/or try to violently destroy any evidence. What inconvenient truth might Third Sister find?
  • A rebellion or even a loss of absolute faith among the Inquisitors - even one Inquisitor - could spook the Emperor into 66'ing the lot of them.
  • Spudhead also seems like an expendable mid-level Boss to me before Vader.

I'm getting the vibe that you might not have viewed Star Wars: Rebels.  Is that accurate? 

A lot of people haven't viewed Star Wars: Rebels for one reason or another, but it (ironically since in canon it takes place about a decade after Obi-Wan Kenobi) lays the groundwork for all stories of the Inquisitors.

I'll respond to a couple of your comments, but strong spoiler warnings if anyone hasn't seen Star Wars: Rebels yet:

Spoiler

There's also the shots of the Inquisitors exploring what looks like a temple. A common thing when you're dealing with fanatics - either in stories or realtime - is that they don't like new information that jars with dogma. They either rationalise it away, denounce it as a lie, and/or try to violently destroy any evidence. What inconvenient truth might Third Sister find?  

It's an interesting idea, but I'd also point out that at least twice in Rebels there were efforts by the Empire to control what's in a temple, rather than rationalize, denouce, or destroy.  The Inquisitors were part of those efforts.  The Empire is happy to accept what is past, it will just bow to the Emperor's will going forward.

A rebellion or even a loss of absolute faith among the Inquisitors - even one Inquisitor - could spook the Emperor into 66'ing the lot of them.

Rebels ended 4 of the 10 we've seen so far in all sources.  Those 4 were all gone by the end of the second season which corresponds to year 3 BBY (or 3 years before the destruction of the first Death Star).  It's possible they are intended to be the last 4, but nothing was said in Rebels towards that end, though no further Inquisitors came. That may be due to Grand Moff Tarkin's barely disguised disgust at their repeated failures to capture what he considered two weaker Jedi.  He had faith in Thrawn instead.  It's plausible that the blow to the Empire that occurs in the last minutes of Rebels might just have been the trigger for an enraged Emperor to deep-66 the Inquisitors, and turning their remaining jobs over to Vader.

Spudhead also seems like an expendable mid-level Boss to me before Vader.

If you're referring to the Grand Inquisitor, obviously he's beaten or outwitted by Kenobi somehow, yet lives, as both characters survive to show up in later works.

Actually, I'm hoping against hope that this Grand Inquisitor isn't the one from Rebels, and that another will be appointed at his death.  He barely looks like the character from Rebels, and even his mannerisms come off as a smarmy thug, rather than the polished, controlled, velvet-voiced villain in Rebels.  The face markings are a problem to that viewpoint though. 

On 5/13/2022 at 2:57 AM, Techwright said:

I'm getting the vibe that you might not have viewed Star Wars: Rebels.  Is that accurate? 

Not the whole thing. Tricky to work out when in the Rebels timeline Obi-Wan is set. Luke is shown as a kid - let's assume he's 9, which would be a nice writing callback to Obi-Wan and Anakin's meeting in Ep1 - and it's canon that Luke was 19 in Ep4. So, call it 10 years before.

spacer.png

This could have been quite a lot of fun for the writers, as Kanan and the crew could well show up if they felt like it or at least get namechecked. However, Deborah Chow has confirmed she's aware of and working around some of Filoni's storylines - sadly, no Maul. 

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:57 PM, Techwright said:

A lot of people haven't viewed Star Wars: Rebels for one reason or another, but it (ironically since in canon it takes place about a decade after Obi-Wan Kenobi) lays the groundwork for all stories of the Inquisitors.

When Obi-Wan scouts out the Lars homestead toward the end of Rebels, he sees a young Luke, so I don't see how it could be a decade after the Obi-Wan series.

Edited by biostem

55 minutes ago, biostem said:

When Obi-Wan scouts out the Lars homestead toward the end of Rebels, he sees a young Luke, so I don't see how it could be a decade after the Obi-Wan series.

That's actually Luke's older cousin, Puke Lars.  He falls in with a speeder bike gang very young and comes to a bad end.  Most unfortunate.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, biostem said:

no not a young Luke, but a tiny distant outline of late-teens Luke.

image.png.1e91f936fe1cd177e634c6cd7a5bfa89.png

The lore of Star Wars: Rebels is very clear.  You see, the Force provided 3 new Jedi on the day Padme died, and the Jedi Order fell:  Luke, Leia...and Ezra Bridger.  Yes, Ezra of Rebels was born on the same day.  The events in Rebels play out over the 4 to 4.5 years before the Battle of Yavin, where the first Death Star was destroyed, and the Star Wars timeline changed to show a change in epochs.  "Twin Suns", the episode where this screenshot comes from, was season 3 episode 20, so roughly Luke's 18th year.  Luke appears to be half that age in Obi-Wan Kenobi, so the events of the upcoming miniseries are roughly halfway between the 19 year gap of Episode III to Episode IV (and technically Rogue One as well).

7 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

This could have been quite a lot of fun for the writers, as Kanan and the crew could well show up if they felt like it or at least get namechecked. However, Deborah Chow has confirmed she's aware of and working around some of Filoni's storylines - sadly, no Maul. 

I'd not considered Kanan.  The time of the miniseries is very close to 11 BBY, up to which Kanan was laying low working as a freighter pilot and sometime smuggler, but afterwards due to the Gorse Conflict (Gorse being the name of a moon where it happened), worked with Hera Syndulla.  So maybe Kanan might have a cameo as a smuggler, a parallel to the Episode IV Han Solo role shuttling Kenobi? But only briefly.  Two Jedi in proximity to each other is too dangerous to maintain for long at this point.  EDIT:  I don't recall where, exactly, but I think there's a moment in Rebels where Kanan questions whether Kenobi is still alive.  But as it would have been several years after the miniseries, he could still meet him and yet wonder regarding his survival.

Actually, I'd like to think that the cameos we're likely to see are Yoda and Senator Organa.  I strongly suspect, especially with a canon moment in Rebels, that the lore will show that Yoda has learned to communicate over vast distances, if possibly requiring a site with a strong force connection.  I'd not be surprised to learn that he and Kenobi have kept up a careful dialog in part to keep tabs on things, and in part to co-train in force ghost preparations.  I suspect Kenobi likewise keeps a carefully-protected dialog with Organa to make sure Leia is safe.

Edited by Techwright
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later

So, this will be a day... long remembered...

Thoughts so far (on Ep1):

Spoiler
  • Don't skip intro. The recap of Ep1-Ep3 is only a minute and a half, sets the tone nicely...
  • ...and includes one Chekhov's Blaster: while Obi-Wan is watching Luke, he's also training in how to commune with Qui-Gon. But I get the feeling with his loss of faith - in the Force, and in himself - he's lost that connection.
  • Badass imperials in badass ride arrive, badassly. Not sure I'd want to do any kinetic fighting in that hat, though.
  • Judge Doom himself is straight out of someone's WW2 Gestapo central casting, and likes a monologue. (It's never a smart idea, therapeutic as it is.) Not impressed with him so far.
  • First unexpected twist: our first ever proper view of Alderaan, and it's gorgeous. Leia is already enough of a wisecracking royal pain in the ass to make Space Mom proud. But also attracting unwanted interest...
  • Third Sister being rebellious, impulsive, and cruel - eventually going way off the books taking Leia... but doesn't know their real connection. I get a feeling, this being early in the series, that this plot will fail - badly. Not just that she won't catch Obi-Wan - she'll restore his self-belief - and will be exposed. Whatever else 3S has done, kidnapping a Senator's daughter ought to be enough to get her kicked out of the Inquisition. And if that happens, I feel that disillusionment might just be the start of her Vision Quest/Heroine's Journey. Unless I'm completely wrong about her...
  • Script is a tiny bit Lucas-portentious. Visuals suitably sweeping and epic. Music has unmistakable stamp of Williams. So far, I dig.

Definitely enjoying what they've got so far!

Spoiler

Also have to admit, I wasn't expecting 'Young Leia' content to be a focus of the show, but it makes so much sense in-context. When we first find Luke in the original trilogy, he's a somewhat whiny farmboy with limited combat skills whose been couped up on a tiny family homestead in the boonies of a vastly over-done desert. Leia? Already fighting back against the Empire, supporting the Rebels, standing up to Vader, and knows who Obi-Wan is - to the point of trusting him with her life. Plus, Alderaan hasn't been detailed much at all so there's actual new settings to explore. There's a ton of story room to play around with there.

Grumpy, out-of-practice Obi-Wan and feisty child Leia is the duo I didn't know I wanted, but damn if I'm not glad we're getting it. xD

Edited by El D
  • Thumbs Up 2

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

As it's a quiet afternoon - appears my American colleagues have knocked off early for Memorial Weekend, or are bingeing all the content early - here goes Ep2...

Spoiler
  • Daiyu's a big ol'hive of scum'n'villainy. Very Blade Runner. Good snacks. My kinda place.
  • And was that... Captain Rex? He's just listed as Clone Trooper Veteran in the credits, but it'd be hella fun if that lot show up.
  • I just spotted the nasty captain was Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    (Well, these days, more of a smooth chilli pepper salsa. Probably why Inquisitors like wipe-clean armour.)
  • I guessed right from the trailer! Kumail Nanjani was a Jedi... a Jedi Of Oz, scamming his way through life with sleight of hand, and incidentally skewering the over-intense gravity of Ewan's performance. Do we think he's a potential sidekick or is this a one-off? There's a few more high-profile appearances to come...
  • Leia is showing her proto-Jedi intuition that will help her in later life, and might need to learn to hide it a bit better. BTW: I’m not usually fond of child actors. Especially not ones saddled with Lucas-portentous dialogue. But sink me if Vivien Blair isn’t killing it already. I can think of no higher compliment to Baby Leia than comparing her to the mighty  Mara Wilson in 34th St and Matilda.
  • 3S/Reva's nicked an idea from John Wick with the wideband bounty- but a good idea. Shishkabobbing the boss, probably not so much. But that's one hell of an early twist and I've been properly bamboozled by the trailers and writers: I like this. If we're keeping to Rebels canon, he'll be back, and I don't think he's going to like Reva much. Not that he or the others did to start with. Starting to doubt my heel-face-turn theory for her as well. Just a tiny bit.
  • Who's waiting on Mapuzo? We don't know, at least in the show. It's a Mid-Rim planet that's currently a two-line Wookieepedia entry, and belongs in the SWRPG rulebook from the 1990s. Amazingly, some of the Reddit nutters who went through the trailer frame by frame found it weeks ago and have been digging further: it's a home of miners, mercenaries, pirate scum... and Rebels.
  • And of course, we get that final full screen reveal that Anakin is very much alive, and still very much pissed off.

All in all... a very satisfying way to kick off the series, definitely throwing us plenty of twists already, and will happily be tuning in June 1st for Part 3.

Also, I'm now aware that alleged spoilers/leaks are in circulation. Be aware that:

(a) Reading the stories and "analysis" about these will probably reduce your enjoyment of the series, and/or your will to live

(b) Lucasfilm and other companies, including Marvel and Bad Wolf (His Dark Materials and some Dr. Who episodes) have started deliberately seeding false internet leaks about upcoming content to throw trophy hunters off the scent

(c) There are also plenty enough morons just making up shit for Fake Internet Points. Hence why I preface any of these threads I start with let the wild unfounded speculation begin - we can guess, we can conjecture based on canon and story threads and tropes, but we ain't gonna know what's true till we see it. Even if something was filmed and actual footage leaked, it might get cut for time/pace or a late rejig, or even be a deliberate decoy.

(d) Many of the sites claiming to "analyse" said leaks are just regurgitating the kind of whining, political posturing, gatekeeping and thinly veiled sexism/racism that pollute the fandom.

Let the writers write and actors act, FFS - enjoy where the the story goes for what it is.

• Like 2

I have been subjected to Arby's exactly once in my travels. It seemed like the right kind of place for scum of the system to have the meets.

• Haha 3

Watched ep 1 and have just started ep 2.  I'll not read others comments yet, just in case, but my thoughts on ep 1:

Spoiler

Curiously, I'm not digging the Grand Inquisitor and Sister (Third?) portrayals...yet. Conversely, I am liking 5th Brother, which seems to have more character than all his portrayal in Star Wars: Rebels.  Maybe TPTB realized their previous writing weakness with him.  Yeah, probably not.  They just got lucky.

So glad to have Jimmy Smits back.  I'm surprised, however, that they didn't use the de-aging process on him as they did with Luke.  I'm also thrilled to finally see Aldoran in all its glory.  I played The Old Republic back in the day, and it was possibly my favorite planet.  I'm appreciative of how Bael's wife is being portrayed.

Was that C3PO in the background?  I know the other, silver protocol droid was not.

The kid playing Lea is nailing the part  I'm loving it. I could totally see Carrie's Lea as a kid through this youngling's interpretation.  I'm only done with Ep 1, mind you, but I'm getting a bit of a "Ransom of Red Chief" vibe. 

Joel is great as Lars.  I do wish they'd expanded his response to Kenobi after his near death, something like "You're not the only one who wants to guard him, you know."

Possibly a more subtle but powerful idea the show is expressing is just why Kenobi seemed older than his years in Episode IV.  Living his harsh existence as witnessed here would prematurely age anyone.  (More or less making up for Sir Alec portraying a character younger than his age at the time.)

Love the interaction with the Jawa.

I am puzzled why Kenobi is laboring.  According to now-Legends material, he and Yoda removed significant credits from the Jedi temple before leaving.  The story goes on to say he was very frugal with them, but was able to make a hermit's life with them.  I'd like to see something that says he labors to keep up appearances, and actually does have a small treasure to support emergency needs.

Okay, watched ep 2. 

Spoiler

Not really caring for Daiyu.  No seriously, other than the lack (I presume) of Hutts, what's to distinguish it from Nar Shaddaah?  I can see there would be patterns, but one could change the name to Nar Shaddaah, and it wouldn't make a lick of difference at this point.  I'd like for there to be something distinctive.

Kenobi went through a drug factory in Daiyu and had dozens of bounty hunters within blocks of him and he ends up labeling Mos Eisley an untoppable hive of scum and villany? Mos Eisley must be a lot worse than we've seen so far.

I sort of like the idea that not using the Force in 10 years withers one's connection.  However, I also recall stories involving force users, untrained even, who casually use it, and I wonder if the writers goofed.  Much as I hate the Sequel Trilogy, the kid with the broom is still canon.

Still not digging the 3rd Sister.  2nd Sister (Fallen Order) and 7th Sister (Rebels) were much more interesting characters.  This one, so far, is just a 1-dimensional punk. Please let there be character development.

Ben must have taken gun lessons from the Stormtroopers.  How did he ever manage to hit Grievous?

I'm a tad puzzled why Organa came all the way to a Tatooine cave to ask for help and then didn't give Kenobi a lift in his diplomatic shuttle  Least he could do was give him a lift to the lightsaber, rather than a time-consuming desert trek on an eopi.  We're on the clock here for a rescue, people!

Inquisitor Neck-Tendrils needs to have a name and a rapid character development.  I'm not even sure she talked.

That's a lot of negatives.  I actually did enjoy the show, however.

My responses in orange in the hidden contents below:

5 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:
  Hide contents
  • Daiyu's a big ol'hive of scum'n'villainy. Very Blade Runner. Good snacks. My kinda place.
  • And was that... Captain Rex? He's just listed as Clone Trooper Veteran in the credits, but it'd be hella fun if that lot show up. I suspect that was not Captain Rex, but it may have been a survivor of the 501st, which in itself is interesting since so many of them died when the ship went down.  Rex has shoulder pads white with a center blue stripe; standard 501st clones have a solid blue pad.  The helmet was mostly hidden in shadow, but if you freeze frame it, it has the standard skinny blue V down the center of the face. It notably lacks the orange "Ahsoka" look of Clone Wars Season 7, though.   None of those boys made it out. So nice to see Temuera get to cameo, and he looked great in the bit part.   And yes, it would be very nice if Kenobi was forced to seek Rex's help.  We're not sure what Rex is up to in this time period.  We just know he's in Bad Batch doing undercover stuff, and he begins in Rebels living off-the-grid in retirement.  It would be nice to connect the dots.
  • I just spotted the nasty captain was Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    (Well, these days, more of a smooth chilli pepper salsa. Probably why Inquisitors like wipe-clean armour.)
  • I guessed right from the trailer! Kumail Nanjani was a Jedi... a Jedi Of Oz, scamming his way through life with sleight of hand, and incidentally skewering the over-intense gravity of Ewan's performance. Do we think he's a potential sidekick or is this a one-off? There's a few more high-profile appearances to come...  I doubt it is a one-off. Why leave him alive if it is?  He may fill the Han Solo smuggler/rogue role in this work. As to high-profile appearances, at this point SW has become so attractive that big name actors will work for base pay just to get bit parts. 
  • Leia is showing her proto-Jedi intuition that will help her in later life, and might need to learn to hide it a bit better. BTW: I’m not usually fond of child actors. Especially not ones saddled with Lucas-portentous dialogue. But sink me if Vivien Blair isn’t killing it already. I can think of no higher compliment to Baby Leia than comparing her to the mighty  Mara Wilson in 34th St and Matilda.  I suspect this will be the child's breakout role.  I actually felt embarrassed for her in the chase scene where her character had to degrade to a panicked kid. She'd played it so smart to that point, only to have the writing slack off some.
  • 3S/Reva's nicked an idea from John Wick with the wideband bounty- but a good idea. Shishkabobbing the boss, probably not so much. But that's one hell of an early twist and I've been properly bamboozled by the trailers and writers: I like this. If we're keeping to Rebels canon, he'll be back, and I don't think he's going to like Reva much. Not that he or the others did to start with. Starting to doubt my heel-face-turn theory for her as well. Just a tiny bit.  That was one very surprising twist. It actually left me wondering if it was the same Grand Inquisitor from Rebels, or perhaps his rounder-headed brother.  For a moment I had high hopes we'd get a second Grand Inquisitor from the same family with Jason Isaacs taking his role to live action.  But there's this little SW thing called a Bacta tank.
  • Who's waiting on Mapuzo? We don't know, at least in the show. It's a Mid-Rim planet that's currently a two-line Wookieepedia entry, and belongs in the SWRPG rulebook from the 1990s. Amazingly, some of the Reddit nutters who went through the trailer frame by frame found it weeks ago and have been digging further: it's a home of miners, mercenaries, pirate scum... and Rebels.  Pirates you say? Pirates?  And just what sort of ...sniff...pirate do you think might respect Kenobi enough to make a surprise appearance?
  • image.jpeg.78532e5c992a8bc41a0ba8eceeafa4b1.jpeg
  • And of course, we get that final full screen reveal that Anakin is very much alive, and still very much pissed off.

Edited by Techwright

Spoiler

Pirates you say? Pirates?  And just what sort of ...sniff...pirate do you think might respect Kenobi enough to make a surprise appearance?

well now you mention it

taika-waititi-rhys-darby.jpg?w=780

...okay, maybe stretching canon just a tiny bit but what the hell. (And while Taika doesn't need to be in everything, he'd make a great live-action Hondo).

I actually felt embarrassed for her in the chase scene where her character had to degrade to a panicked kid.

Same. Honestly, that's my one major nitpick from the whole deal. As satisfying as it would have been to have her turn when the guard got shot and try to protect him - maybe nut-shot Flea with a log that no ordinary kid should be able to lift... I'd have been just as guilty of Mary Sue'ing her writing that. Cut the whole chase straight to her getting bagged and save 30 seconds, plus her dignity.

We're on the clock here for a rescue, people!

We're also trying not to get noticed. Obi-Wan didn't spend ten years prepping Arby's entrées just for his cover to get blown palling around with Senators. 

I sort of like the idea that not using the Force in 10 years withers one's connection.

To quote a slightly related movie, I'd say it ain't the years, kid, it's the mileage. Age doth not wither a Jedi, at least not on the power front, though the Force can't do anything about wrinkles and ear hair. (Side note - are we going to explain how Ewan ages into Alec in just 9 more years? Forgetting the suncream on Tatooine'd go some way for that...)

It's more about the mind - and focus. So humiliating failure, crippling self-doubt and fear'll kill your mental link every time. How Obi Got His Mojo Back isn't quite the title of the series I'd go for, but it seems Reva has made a massive miscalculation. Instead of an emotionally and therefore Force-crippled shell, they're going to have to deal with the man himself, playing to a Jedi's single biggest strength: compassion. 

Thought strikes me:

- The Inquisitors report directly to Vader.

- The Grand Inquisitor hates Reva's guts on principle, not just because of her methods.

- Given her lowly background and obvious strength - and reckless attitude - Reva seems exactly who Vader would hand pick to join them, which'd annoy GI...

- Maybe even Vader's favourite, which would anger the GI more. She certainly seems to have an inside track...

- ...or even... dare we say it... an apprentice. Force Unleashed, anyone?

Second extra thought: when Obi-Wan starts talking about the "stubborn" person Leia resembles, he could be talking about Padmé, or equally Satine.

4 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:
  Hide contents

Pirates you say? Pirates?  And just what sort of ...sniff...pirate do you think might respect Kenobi enough to make a surprise appearance?

well now you mention it

taika-waititi-rhys-darby.jpg?w=780

...okay, maybe stretching canon just a tiny bit but what the hell. (And while Taika doesn't need to be in everything, he'd make a great live-action Hondo).

Interesting idea, though I rather hope they do the live-action Cad Bane trick and use a body actor with Jim Cummings voice.  It worked well at the Galaxy's Edge opening

(Side note - are we going to explain how Ewan ages into Alec in just 9 more years? Forgetting the suncream on Tatooine'd go some way for that...)

Yes, yes we are.  Actually, sadly, I've seen some people so greived, shocked or weighed down by care that they prematurely age almost overnight.  Add in Kenobi's scrappy existence on a harsh world, and I can see the Alec Guinness look in 9 years.

It's more about the mind - and focus. So humiliating failure, crippling self-doubt and fear'll kill your mental link every time. How Obi Got His Mojo Back isn't quite the title of the series I'd go for, but it seems Reva has made a massive miscalculation. Instead of an emotionally and therefore Force-crippled shell, they're going to have to deal with the man himself, playing to a Jedi's single biggest strength: compassion.  Reva's a bit of a conundrum.  Just the use of her name by other inquisitors is breaking the "rule book". It's as if the others are expressing that she's not really one of them.  Second Sister's name in the Fallen Order video game came up because her opponent knew her from before the fall.  But I digress.  Reva's a conundrum because everything about the Empire focuses on control.  Reva is wanting to control but refuses to respect control of a superior.  Reva's dark, violent, ruthless tendancies are just what the Emperor likes, but not the lack of control.  She clearly got her role due to her ruthlessness, but she'll ultimately loose it because she won't recognize the chain of command as organized by the Sith.

Thought strikes me:

- The Inquisitors report directly to Vader.  Yes.  This is established in both Rebels and Fallen Order, though these may be moments you've not seen. Probably the comics, too, but I've not seen those.

- The Grand Inquisitor hates Reva's guts on principle, not just because of her methods.  Good point.  The man has taste...well, sort of.

- Given her lowly background and obvious strength - and reckless attitude - Reva seems exactly who Vader would hand pick to join them, which'd annoy GI... Fair point.

- Maybe even Vader's favourite, which would anger the GI more. She certainly seems to have an inside track...  Or at least believes she does, which may be her downfall.  I'd not be surprised to find her shocked when Vader himself strikes her down. (guess, no evidence)

- ...or even... dare we say it... an apprentice. Force Unleashed, anyone?  That may indeed be what she's hoping for.  There's some other canon material, such as Ventress' efforts to impress Lord Tyrannis in hopes of an apprenticeship, that suggest other dark side users don't understand that the Sith will only accept two, and that the Sith Apprentice would never create an apprentice unless he has clear plans to overthrow his master.  It's possible that Sith actually allow that, to foster competition among the force servant classes to weed out weaker fools.

Second extra thought: when Obi-Wan starts talking about the "stubborn" person Leia resembles, he could be talking about Padmé, or equally Satine.  Yes, I suspect that vagueness was deliberate.  It's sort of a "lady or the tiger" moment, leaving the viewer to make a choice.  With Leia present, Padme is the obvious comparison, but Satine would be an even deeper heartfelt loss.

Fresh comments in bold orange again.

3 hours ago, Latex said:

Hope we see a Cal Kestis cameo, seems like it's taking place at the exact same time as Fallen Order.

My understanding is the currently-released game is set 5 years before the events of Kenobi, so if Cal survives the game series, then yes, highly possible (and utterly cool if it happens.)

There's still the teaser that...

Spoiler

...a BD-1 droid was with Peli on Tatooine.  While this may just be any old BD droid, we know already that Peli adapted another droid that actually appeared in a previous story (R5-D4 which appeared in the Jawa scene in Episode IV).  So it may be possible that Cal Kestis parts with his BD-1 on Tatooine. Whether that is his death or not...

• Thumbs Up 1

Overall, it was very enjoyable to watch.  One thing bothers both myself and my son, though...

Spoiler

If 2nd sister has killed the inquisitor, Disney's so-called "Canon" doesn't agree with itself and fails in a glaringly obvious way.  If they want to avoid this, either the Inquisitor has to survive (not a big deal- Darth Maul survived being chopped completely in half) or they must use some remnant of Kaminoan cloning technology to clone a replacement (unlikely- I'm guessing he just lives through being impaled).

Edited by Cancrusher

50 minutes ago, Techwright said:

My understanding is the currently-released game is set 5 years before the events of Kenobi, so if Cal survives the game series, then yes, highly possible (and utterly cool if it happens.)

Quite possible. I think there may even be a bit of a tie-in...

(Remember that games take a looong time to complete and ready* to deliver, so it may have been in the works as long as the series.)

*the words "complete and ready" being relative and flexible terms for EA, but there ya go

13 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:
  Hide contents

We're also trying not to get noticed. Obi-Wan didn't spend ten years prepping Arby's entrées just for his cover to get blown palling around with Senators. 

I'd not even made that connection. Hopefully at some later point 

Spoiler

Obi-Wan will investigate what sort of shenanigans are going on such that the Arby's meat he produced on Tatooine didn't make it into the Arby's on Daiyu. Are space Arby's corporate folks in so deep with the Hutts or Crimson Dawn that they have to allow some of their franchises to be fronts for kidnapping operations? Or did they just have one of their signs stolen and used to disguise the building?

Without spoiling V's spoiler... that's just unfair to Hutts, frankly. They're not that bad.

BTW - side note from SW Celebration. We shouldn't be expecting any of the Ghost crew from Rebels to rock up in Obi-Wan...

Spoiler

...because they're all in Ahsoka. Sabine. Hera. And at 4:00 into this video, someone who weirds out even Dave Filoni.

There are phone-quality versions of the teaser that was shown after this presentation in circulation - I have now found one on Reddit that's not been Order 66'd by the Mouse's legal team yet, and I'd prefer you not to post one here directly if you find one. (Paragon City is a dangerous enough place without any Imperial entanglements).

Things we know:

• Subtitle could be Rebels II: The Search For Ezra. (This was teased in Mando anyway, as Ahsoka was enquiring politely about Thrawn).
  • Hera is only seen very briefly from the back: possible second superstar casting reveal they're waiting to drop on us. Slightly shorter than Dawson and quite, shall we say, slinky, but absolutely no clue otherwise.
  • The ship we first see Ahsoka and Hera on isn't the Ghost - it appears much larger and a bit less scruffy.
  • It ends pretty much exactly where Rebels left off, with Sabine (Nat Bordizzo) looking at the family portrait.
  • Multiple art references to the Wolf And A Door / World Between Worlds episodes, including the full version of the logo now I look at it.
  • Deep cut: return of Jedi master craftsdroid Huyang, hopefully voiced by Tennant. 
  • Audio is extremely sparse Japanese woodblock music with no speech - possible nod to some of the samurai and western movies that inspired Lucas, Filoni & co.
  • Dave is directing, with tutelage and assistance from Favreau.
  • Pedro Pascal will guest as Mando, presumably to introduce folks who haven't been through Rebels.
  • Neither Ezra nor Thrawn's presence nor casting were revealed. They might not have been cast yet, given it's very early days in filming. Many rumours there are:
    • Lars Mikkelsen is one I didn't expect. Jason Isaacs is a bit too obvious - maybe why he didn't get the Grand Inquisitor? - but would be hella fun. Not sure they can afford Scrumblebonce these days but he's an unpredictable bugger, and who wouldn't want to be in a Star War?
    • Mena Massoud (who got slightly short-changed both during and after the live-action Aladdin) might be in as adult Ezra. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

BTW - side note from SW Celebration. We shouldn't be expecting any of the Ghost crew from Rebels to rock up in Obi-Wan...

Hide contents

...because they're all in Ahsoka. Sabine. Hera. And at 4:00 into this video, someone who weirds out even Dave Filoni.

There are phone-quality versions of the teaser that was shown after this presentation in circulation - I have now found one on Reddit that's not been Order 66'd by the Mouse's legal team yet, and I'd prefer you not to post one here directly if you find one. (Paragon City is a dangerous enough place without any Imperial entanglements).

Things we know:

• Subtitle could be Rebels II: The Search For Ezra. (This was teased in Mando anyway, as Ahsoka was enquiring politely about Thrawn).  Not Rebels II: A Bridger Too Far?  😉
  • Hera is only seen very briefly from the back: possible second superstar casting reveal they're waiting to drop on us. Slightly shorter than Dawson and quite, shall we say, slinky, but absolutely no clue otherwise.  Hera would be 42-43 years old by the time of Ahsoka.  It's a shame if they couldn't use Vanessa Marshall. She's admittedly 10 years older than 43, but hey, Jimmy Smits is playing a younger Bael Organa currently. 
  • The ship we first see Ahsoka and Hera on isn't the Ghost - it appears much larger and a bit less scruffy.  I'm wondering if it could be that T-6 shuttle Ahsoka stood before in her last appearance in Rebels.  The shot did show a red/silver or red/white hall interior in keeping with the shuttle colors.  That said, the bridge area was pretty spacious in the clip, so possibly a small fleet ship? It would make sense for the restored Republic to provide a former Jedi with something with some heft if going after possibly the most dangerous of the remaining Empire leaders (well, that they know about).
  • It ends pretty much exactly where Rebels left off, with Sabine (Nat Bordizzo) looking at the family portrait.  I wonder if they'll bring back other surviving members of the Ghost crew besides Hera, Sabine, and Ahsoka. I'd love to see the two last seen in the Lasat homeworld system brought to live action. We know Rex fought on Endor.  I'd not be surprised to see a cameo of him asking to help his old friend Ahsoka and being kindly told that 9 years on now, he's officially too old to keep up.  Also, if Hera's there, can Specter 7 be far behind? 
  • Multiple art references to the Wolf And A Door / World Between Worlds episodes, including the full version of the logo now I look at it.  Those episodes are a smoking Chekhov's gun to the overall tale of Star Wars.  They're content is bound to be used at least once more.
  • Deep cut: return of Jedi master craftsdroid Huyang, hopefully voiced by Tennant.  Is that Huyang, or just one of the model?  Huyang had a dusty brass look (possibly to imply his fantastically long existence), while this one is all silvery chrome or brushed nickle.  To be fair, C3PO has undergone multiple visual changes, including gaining his best known gold electroplating, so maybe someone gave Huyang an upgrade.  Frankly, I'd love to see Huyang back (and Tennant, too), though I can't see him in his previous job, as Luke's school has yet to start.
  • Audio is extremely sparse Japanese woodblock music with no speech - possible nod to some of the samurai and western movies that inspired Lucas, Filoni & co.
  • Dave is directing, with tutelage and assistance from Favreau.  This thrills me. Dave is George's worthy successor, and better, because he can write romance that doesn't sound wooden.
  • Pedro Pascal will guest as Mando, presumably to introduce folks who haven't been through Rebels.  So long as he doesn't take 2 episodes until himself with little to no title character.
  • Neither Ezra nor Thrawn's presence nor casting were revealed. They might not have been cast yet, given it's very early days in filming. Many rumours there are:
    • Lars Mikkelsen is one I didn't expect. Jason Isaacs is a bit too obvious - maybe why he didn't get the Grand Inquisitor? - but would be hella fun. Not sure they can afford Scrumblebonce these days but he's an unpredictable bugger, and who wouldn't want to be in a Star War? It's Lars' role to lose, but there are so many amazing actors who could play the role.  It might be a bit too close to Benedict's Sherlock role, though with the high level of discipline Thrawn maintains it would be different from Sherlock as well.  I've heard other casting possibilities (Matt Smith was an interesting one though he'd need to bulk up), but they're going to need to keep Thrawn's age in the consideration:  He was born around 59 BBY, maybe a few years later, and would have been in his mid to late 50's during the events of Star Wars: Rebels.  Add 5 years to get to the end of Return of the Jedi (4 ABY), and another 10 years to the end of season 2 of the Mandalorian, and you're looking at a Grand Admiral in his mid-70's.  Of course, he's Chiss, so that may be explained as a longer lifespan than humans, but you're probably looking at an actor in his late 50s to late 60s and in top condition.  Ralph Fiennes comes to mind, though Isaacs would be amazing, and Lars Mikkelsen should still be handed it.
    • Mena Massoud (who got slightly short-changed both during and after the live-action Aladdin) might be in as adult Ezra.  Ezra would be 32, Massoud is 30, so yeah, good fit age-wise.  For that matter it could be Taylor Gray, Ezra's voice actor.  He's 28, but then Sabine's actress is 27, so aging them 4 years shouldn't be a problem.  I don't know Taylor body of live action work, however, so I don't know if he could carry over to a live action version.

First off, thank you for bringing this to our attention.  As always, comments within the spoiler in orange.

As a fun note, memes of Obi-Wan Kenobi have already been surfacing, especially of one scene:

Spoiler

kenobi | Obi-Wan Kenobi Binoculars | Know Your Meme

kenobi | Obi-Wan Kenobi Binoculars | Know Your Meme

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Frankly, I'd love to see [REDACTED] back

Rumour mill is also grinding away about him. There have been multiple plotlines - possibly one within Obi-Wan as well - about younglings escaping the Temple during Order 66. He also has kindness ingrained in every part of him, and he's been around way too long to take that kind of malarkey lying down. While it's almost an easy-out on the writing front, I'm kinda hoping he took some work home with him. But there may be other reasons he'd be around...

Also, re the Jimmy Smits comment - is he okay? I know he's 66 now - and while his acting was as gracious as ever, his physicality seemed... off. Not in a way that makes me think he's missing cues, in a rather too familiar way that makes me worry about him.

6 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Rumour mill is also grinding away about him. There have been multiple plotlines - possibly one within Obi-Wan as well - about younglings escaping the Temple during Order 66. He also has kindness ingrained in every part of him, and he's been around way too long to take that kind of malarkey lying down. While it's almost an easy-out on the writing front, I'm kinda hoping he took some work home with him. But there may be other reasons he'd be around...

Also, re the Jimmy Smits comment - is he okay? I know he's 66 now - and while his acting was as gracious as ever, his physicality seemed... off. Not in a way that makes me think he's missing cues, in a rather too familiar way that makes me worry about him.

As regards younglings escaping the Temple during Order 66:

Spoiler

One theory put forth is that Reva, Third Sister, is actually one of the younglings we saw flee the Temple at the beginning of Obi-Wan Kenobi.  I don't quite see it.  The time gap is 10 years and one of those younglings would be at most age 20 by the time of OWK. The Reva actress, Moses Ingram, is 29, more than a bit of a stretch to play a 20-year old.

In regards to Jimmy Smits, I find nothing to indicate a health problem, but I did find a news blurb from March of this year that said he's starring in a pilot for a possible CBS show.  That would imply his health is okay.  Perhaps filming began as he was recovering from an illness like COVID or flu.  I did get the impression that the makeup and hair department could have done a better job making him look like a wealthy, polished royal and Senator.