Obi-Wan Kenobi

Thought on Techwright's thought:

Spoiler

Why are there no Inquisitors left in A New Hope?

Again, Filoni I am not, and we've seen two very short teasers. So wild speculation again. BUT...

• I am sensing very, very strong Hero's Journey / Seeker / dark-to-light energy from Third Sister, especially the way she's shot and framed.
    Nobody gets The Hero Angle in Filoni's world unless they're a Hero. 
  • There's also the shots of the Inquisitors exploring what looks like a temple. A common thing when you're dealing with fanatics - either in stories or realtime - is that they don't like new information that jars with dogma. They either rationalise it away, denounce it as a lie, and/or try to violently destroy any evidence. What inconvenient truth might Third Sister find?
  • A rebellion or even a loss of absolute faith among the Inquisitors - even one Inquisitor - could spook the Emperor into 66'ing the lot of them.
  • Spudhead also seems like an expendable mid-level Boss to me before Vader.

• Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND MEDIOCRITIES!

Look out for me as: Miss Dream Weaver (Corr-Psi/Emp), Ranger Emily (Blaster-AR/Dev/Mun), Dr Amy Weaver MD (Corr-DP/Emp/Power), Dr Regan Sprungler (Sentinel-Beam/Ninja), Agatha Heterodyne (MM-Robots/Devices), Powerstar Gold (Blapper-Energy/Energy/Elec/Chaos/Puns), HarveyTWonderhamster (Tank-Rad/Titan) Elsa Van Arendelle (Domi-Ice/Ice/Showtunes)

17 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Thought on Techwright's thought:

Hide contents

Why are there no Inquisitors left in A New Hope?

Again, Filoni I am not, and we've seen two very short teasers. So wild speculation again. BUT...

• I am sensing very, very strong Hero's Journey / Seeker / dark-to-light energy from Third Sister, especially the way she's shot and framed.
    Nobody gets The Hero Angle in Filoni's world unless they're a Hero. 
  • There's also the shots of the Inquisitors exploring what looks like a temple. A common thing when you're dealing with fanatics - either in stories or realtime - is that they don't like new information that jars with dogma. They either rationalise it away, denounce it as a lie, and/or try to violently destroy any evidence. What inconvenient truth might Third Sister find?
  • A rebellion or even a loss of absolute faith among the Inquisitors - even one Inquisitor - could spook the Emperor into 66'ing the lot of them.
  • Spudhead also seems like an expendable mid-level Boss to me before Vader.

I'm getting the vibe that you might not have viewed Star Wars: Rebels.  Is that accurate? 

A lot of people haven't viewed Star Wars: Rebels for one reason or another, but it (ironically since in canon it takes place about a decade after Obi-Wan Kenobi) lays the groundwork for all stories of the Inquisitors.

I'll respond to a couple of your comments, but strong spoiler warnings if anyone hasn't seen Star Wars: Rebels yet:

Spoiler

There's also the shots of the Inquisitors exploring what looks like a temple. A common thing when you're dealing with fanatics - either in stories or realtime - is that they don't like new information that jars with dogma. They either rationalise it away, denounce it as a lie, and/or try to violently destroy any evidence. What inconvenient truth might Third Sister find?  

It's an interesting idea, but I'd also point out that at least twice in Rebels there were efforts by the Empire to control what's in a temple, rather than rationalize, denouce, or destroy.  The Inquisitors were part of those efforts.  The Empire is happy to accept what is past, it will just bow to the Emperor's will going forward.

A rebellion or even a loss of absolute faith among the Inquisitors - even one Inquisitor - could spook the Emperor into 66'ing the lot of them.

Rebels ended 4 of the 10 we've seen so far in all sources.  Those 4 were all gone by the end of the second season which corresponds to year 3 BBY (or 3 years before the destruction of the first Death Star).  It's possible they are intended to be the last 4, but nothing was said in Rebels towards that end, though no further Inquisitors came. That may be due to Grand Moff Tarkin's barely disguised disgust at their repeated failures to capture what he considered two weaker Jedi.  He had faith in Thrawn instead.  It's plausible that the blow to the Empire that occurs in the last minutes of Rebels might just have been the trigger for an enraged Emperor to deep-66 the Inquisitors, and turning their remaining jobs over to Vader.

Spudhead also seems like an expendable mid-level Boss to me before Vader.

If you're referring to the Grand Inquisitor, obviously he's beaten or outwitted by Kenobi somehow, yet lives, as both characters survive to show up in later works.

Actually, I'm hoping against hope that this Grand Inquisitor isn't the one from Rebels, and that another will be appointed at his death.  He barely looks like the character from Rebels, and even his mannerisms come off as a smarmy thug, rather than the polished, controlled, velvet-voiced villain in Rebels.  The face markings are a problem to that viewpoint though. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2022 at 2:57 AM, Techwright said:

I'm getting the vibe that you might not have viewed Star Wars: Rebels.  Is that accurate? 

Not the whole thing. Tricky to work out when in the Rebels timeline Obi-Wan is set. Luke is shown as a kid - let's assume he's 9, which would be a nice writing callback to Obi-Wan and Anakin's meeting in Ep1 - and it's canon that Luke was 19 in Ep4. So, call it 10 years before.

spacer.png

This could have been quite a lot of fun for the writers, as Kanan and the crew could well show up if they felt like it or at least get namechecked. However, Deborah Chow has confirmed she's aware of and working around some of Filoni's storylines - sadly, no Maul. 

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND MEDIOCRITIES!

Look out for me as: Miss Dream Weaver (Corr-Psi/Emp), Ranger Emily (Blaster-AR/Dev/Mun), Dr Amy Weaver MD (Corr-DP/Emp/Power), Dr Regan Sprungler (Sentinel-Beam/Ninja), Agatha Heterodyne (MM-Robots/Devices), Powerstar Gold (Blapper-Energy/Energy/Elec/Chaos/Puns), HarveyTWonderhamster (Tank-Rad/Titan) Elsa Van Arendelle (Domi-Ice/Ice/Showtunes)

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2022 at 9:57 PM, Techwright said:

A lot of people haven't viewed Star Wars: Rebels for one reason or another, but it (ironically since in canon it takes place about a decade after Obi-Wan Kenobi) lays the groundwork for all stories of the Inquisitors.

When Obi-Wan scouts out the Lars homestead toward the end of Rebels, he sees a young Luke, so I don't see how it could be a decade after the Obi-Wan series.

Edited by biostem

55 minutes ago, biostem said:

When Obi-Wan scouts out the Lars homestead toward the end of Rebels, he sees a young Luke, so I don't see how it could be a decade after the Obi-Wan series.

That's actually Luke's older cousin, Puke Lars.  He falls in with a speeder bike gang very young and comes to a bad end.  Most unfortunate.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, biostem said:

no not a young Luke, but a tiny distant outline of late-teens Luke.

image.png.1e91f936fe1cd177e634c6cd7a5bfa89.png

The lore of Star Wars: Rebels is very clear.  You see, the Force provided 3 new Jedi on the day Padme died, and the Jedi Order fell:  Luke, Leia...and Ezra Bridger.  Yes, Ezra of Rebels was born on the same day.  The events in Rebels play out over the 4 to 4.5 years before the Battle of Yavin, where the first Death Star was destroyed, and the Star Wars timeline changed to show a change in epochs.  "Twin Suns", the episode where this screenshot comes from, was season 3 episode 20, so roughly Luke's 18th year.  Luke appears to be half that age in Obi-Wan Kenobi, so the events of the upcoming miniseries are roughly halfway between the 19 year gap of Episode III to Episode IV (and technically Rogue One as well).

7 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

This could have been quite a lot of fun for the writers, as Kanan and the crew could well show up if they felt like it or at least get namechecked. However, Deborah Chow has confirmed she's aware of and working around some of Filoni's storylines - sadly, no Maul. 

I'd not considered Kanan.  The time of the miniseries is very close to 11 BBY, up to which Kanan was laying low working as a freighter pilot and sometime smuggler, but afterwards due to the Gorse Conflict (Gorse being the name of a moon where it happened), worked with Hera Syndulla.  So maybe Kanan might have a cameo as a smuggler, a parallel to the Episode IV Han Solo role shuttling Kenobi? But only briefly.  Two Jedi in proximity to each other is too dangerous to maintain for long at this point.  EDIT:  I don't recall where, exactly, but I think there's a moment in Rebels where Kanan questions whether Kenobi is still alive.  But as it would have been several years after the miniseries, he could still meet him and yet wonder regarding his survival.

Actually, I'd like to think that the cameos we're likely to see are Yoda and Senator Organa.  I strongly suspect, especially with a canon moment in Rebels, that the lore will show that Yoda has learned to communicate over vast distances, if possibly requiring a site with a strong force connection.  I'd not be surprised to learn that he and Kenobi have kept up a careful dialog in part to keep tabs on things, and in part to co-train in force ghost preparations.  I suspect Kenobi likewise keeps a carefully-protected dialog with Organa to make sure Leia is safe.

Edited by Techwright
  • Thumbs Up 1