Obi-Wan Kenobi

I had the same thought re the younglings

Spoiler

Reva does seem much too old, and the Jedi on Tatooine also seemed too old. I couldn't really think of any reason why they included that scene since we already know not all the younglings were killed from Mando. I was even more surprised that it didn't get removed at the last minute given the events in Texas. I can only assume that it's going to have some big significance later. 

Re younglings:

Spoiler

The kids are definitely important, or they wouldn't have been the first shot of the series. You wouldn't waste that on a red herring.

(a) Still betting Reva is one of them. (Aside from the fact you can cast anyone you want as anything you want if they can convince an audience, a connection to the Dark Side is rough on the ol'skincare routine. Just ask Palpatine. Never moisturised once.) 

...or if we're being strict about cast ages...

(b) one of them is her kid who may or may not have made it out.

...or if there's no connection and the writers have something else entirely in mind...

(c) Leia's most specific Force gift was/is enhanced perception. She might stumble across them or they might reach out to her.  The possibility of a new generation of Jedi, albeit angsty teens by this point, might give hope to Obi-Wan - but also be a very, very bad thing for Anakin or the Emperor to know about. That'd be another Rebels lift (Future Of The Force), but not such a bad one.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

10 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Re younglings:

Hide contents

The kids are definitely important, or they wouldn't have been the first shot of the series. You wouldn't waste that on a red herring. Agreed.

(a) Still betting Reva is one of them. (Aside from the fact you can cast anyone you want as anything you want if they can convince an audience, a connection to the Dark Side is rough on the ol'skincare routine. Just ask Palpatine. Never moisturised once.)   Despite the age differences I've cited, I'd say it's still a fair bet.  I re-watched the sequence closely.  First, the camera starts the scene focused on just one youngling, the black one.  Second all other younglings are pale skinned. So the one the camera started with visually stands out. (I'd also add that all of them are human.  I was looking for evidence of the other Inquisitors, but so far, except for 2nd Sister, known Inquisitors all near-human species or humanoid in the case of 9th Sister.) Third, the black youngling has two hair braids visible in addition to her padawan braid. This could be a further implication of Reva who sports a braid, though I admit it is the weakest of the arguments.

...or if we're being strict about cast ages...

(b) one of them is her kid who may or may not have made it out.  Or kid sister. Strictly speaking, if we're following the actress' age, Reva would have been around 19 during Order 66, making her 9 or 10 when the younglings were born.

...or if there's no connection and the writers have something else entirely in mind...  If it is Reva, it might be shown that she was in hiding nearby when Yoda and Kenobi assaulted the seized temple.  If she didn't trust to come out of hiding, that might have started her fixation on Kenobi, though I rather think it stems from a knowledge that Vader would take a powerful personal interest in Kenobi above all others, even Yoda.  But I'd personally find it fascinating if the story of the younglings took a different path.

(c) Leia's most specific Force gift was/is enhanced perception. She might stumble across them or they might reach out to her.  The possibility of a new generation of Jedi, albeit angsty teens by this point, might give hope to Obi-Wan - but also be a very, very bad thing for Anakin or the Emperor to know about. That'd be another Rebels lift (Future Of The Force), but not such a bad one.  One thing that's always puzzled me about the stories of Jedi escapes:  Why did none of them think to head to the Unknown Regions or Wild Space worlds? The ones beyond the Empire.  Putting as much distance as possible between the search parties and themselves seems a no-brainer, and the best chance to rebuild the Order quietly.

By the way, one of the questions that has sprung up by others as I was reviewing various reactions and break-downs is:  How did Reva know Vader is Anakin?  It's always been understood his identity was hush-hush even among the elites.  The answer is simple:  Reva stated she went looking into the Jedi archives to find a weakness to draw out Kenobi (which ended up being Organa).  In Revenge of the Sith we watch Kenobi quickly reviewing Temple security camera archives and discovers a video showing Anakin as the Sith leading troops and then one of Sidious actually naming him Vader.  Reva would have had access to all of that.

Comments in orange

Edited by Techwright

Proof that

Spoiler

She's always been a firecracker like her mom 😉

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Side note 1: I'm not sure if there's been a change at top management.

But I think after what the Star Wars mods/PR had to deal with for Boyega and Kelly Marie Tran...

...they did not come to play this time.

Yes, there have been death threats to Moses, and to Vivien Blair. Who is, incidentally, ten years old this week.

As much as I've loved these movies since I first sat in a vast, dark shed on a ratty seat covered in substances that would probably get the place shut and/or thermited now, wondering why other kids were quaking at that weird but stylish dude who probably needed to lay off the smokes...

...and as much as I love (most of) the fandom, their creativity, passion, mildly unhinged encyclopedic knowledge and dedication...

...they are fictional movies set in a place and time so remote no-one could conceivably know the truth of them. 

And the choice of stories, actors, directors, whatever are fully up to Lucasfilm. Like them, dislike them, ignore them, rant if you wish, but do not threaten actors for something they didn't write - or writers for trying to take you new places you haven't seen before.

Side note 2: GRRM also did an interview this week, where he's puzzled about the toxicity of certain bits of fandoms.

Not least that he got slated for the Red Wedding, whereas Lucas killed off 20 billion at a stroke with Alderaan.

Still, always good to have goals: and he's catching up. 

12 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Man half the fun is watching the Disney/Marvel/StarWars stuff then coming back here to read what folks who are way smarter than me come up with 

...and probably be wrong about it. But that's half the fun for me too. Seriously, I've been overjoyed that this whole show took a massive Joysee left turn from where I thought it was going and I'm hoping to be wrong some more.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Don't get me started on Disney and PR...they're all over the place and do some rather stupid things *coughs*Johnny*coughs*. I get Why they may choose to, but still.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

On 5/30/2022 at 8:18 PM, Glacier Peak said:

Man half the fun is watching the Disney/Marvel/StarWars stuff then coming back here to read what folks who are way smarter than me come up with 😁

12 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

...and probably be wrong about it. But that's half the fun for me too. Seriously, I've been overjoyed that this whole show took a massive Joysee left turn from where I thought it was going and I'm hoping to be wrong some more.

Was thinking the exact same thing.  I started a deliberate effort to ramp up my Star Wars lore several years ago when I was watching The Clone Wars for the second time.  I'm nowhere near the level of some reactors I watch on YouTube*, but I feel much greater satisfaction in understanding the attention to detail and connections that the creators weave into that vast fictional universe.  And yeah, I guess wrong often, but that's indeed half the fun (unless we're talking the Sequel Trilogy, but that's another matter).

*And I probably will never be.  Honestly, if you're telling me how many elevators are on Darth Vader's flagship Executor in comparison to those on Grand Admiral Thrawn's flagship, the Chimaera, you probably need to spend a few days hiking or involved with some other sunshine activity.

So, let's see what we were wrong about this week, shall we?

Spoiler
  • Opening is suitably fearful (but lovingly shot: the sweep up from the floor is great). Obi-Wan is trying desperately to reach out into the Force for help and reassurance - but guilt, fear and pain seem to be getting in the way.
  • Properly epic intro to Vader and Castle Dracula Mustafar.
  • Thing I Was Wrong About #1not an apprentice...yet. It doesn't feel like a back channel comm either. But Vader has been watching Reva, and is aware of what she wants. 
  • "Are we nearly there yet"? My hands clenched reflexively on an invisible steering wheel at that. 🤣
    (Oh, and LZ0-LA59's back, who's likely to be helpful - and making friends already).
  • Welcome to Coachella Valley Mapuzo. If you wanted a place for a showdown, then this is it. And the music to boot.
  • Genuine surprise moment #1: Hayden's first appearance on the hill. Is Obi-Wan's guilt making him hallucinate or is Anakin actively messing with his mind?
  • Cut to Inquisitor HQ: nice design, though why the Empire insists on building in really impractical places is beyond me. Just get a WeWork.
  • Things I (probably) was wrong about #2: barring a second big twist, the GI is dead dead. [punches large button marked RETCON ALARM]
  • "I will get what I deserve and so will you." Nicely ominous line, nicely lampshaded.
  • Speaking of which, "Hi, I'm Frank" is a nice bubble-popping moment. Alien mole, sure, but he's got a beat-up pickup, he's called Frank, he's friendly and sounds like Rowlf. What could possibly go wrong?
  • ...oh, that could go wrong. Guess a cog on your truck is a bit like the Stars & Bars around here. Leia holding it together better than Obi-Wan.
  • Obi-Wan's backstory is interesting. Is there an Obi-Two kicking around?
  • An underground railrohhhhh... NOW we know why Leia's really in this. What exactly does the Empire do with Force-sensitive kids, and why does it sound like she's in even deeper trouble than she was before?
  • Talla? Ria Talla is one of Sabine's many aliases. Wonder if it's a relation?
  • Reva clearly Having Deep Emotions seeing a scrawled Jedi symbol, but also seeing random cruelty dispensed to citizens. She wasn't averse to that before... (Thing I Was Wrong About #3: from the trailer, I thought this shot was about mystical symbols in a Jedi temple, not the back end of a droid shed. This does mean, though, that we've seen pretty much everything that was in the trailer now and the next 3 eps are all going to be new stuff.)
  • Second surprise: I shall deal with this myself... and Obi-Wan is in no shape to fight back right now.
  • Big ol' cliffhanger, though you kind of knew what was coming when Obi-Wan decided to distract Vader and leave Leia rather than flee. Self-serving self-sacrifice out of guilt is a very poor tactical move. Never, never leave kids alone.
  • Stick around for the credits: it's apparently Zach Braff under all that makeup, and yes, it's him - the one, the only, the mighty James Earl Jones is back on the mic.

As a very nasty Australian newspaper editor said to my dad back in the 80s, "there's one story in making a hero: there's ten stories in breakin'im". He was right, I suppose, and he's got very, very rich off that. Though he seems to enjoy the breaking part a bit much.

So it's so far, so Hero's Journey. You have to take a hero to their absolute lowest point before you can start building them up again. Fear. Failure. Guilt. Shame. And a fairly mild but ironic ass-kicking. Then give them a job to do, a thing to find, a kingdom to win, someone to protect.

Unless there's some kind of massive twist/parallel universe/World Between Worlds malarkey, we know all three of the key characters get out of this alive. But I think Deb & co are going to put us through the wringer to get there.

Good thing he had that blaster since there was no town to go back to for a big sack o' dimes. 

Spoiler

Evidently no one can go around anything in this galaxy far, far, away. I see no more reason Vader's troops couldn't have gone around the fire fast enough to catch up with the slow moving droid dragging a limp body than that Obi-Wan and Leia couldn't just squeeze around the energy barrier.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Vee said:

Good thing he had that blaster since there was no town to go back to for a big sack o' dimes. 

Hide contents

Evidently no one can go around anything in this galaxy far, far, away. I see no more reason Vader's troops couldn't have gone around the fire fast enough to catch up with the slow moving droid dragging a limp body than that Obi-Wan and Leia couldn't just squeeze around the energy barrier.

This felt intentionally done, imo. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

16 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

So, let's see what we were wrong about this week, shall we?   In orange, yadda yadda...

Hide contents
  • Opening is suitably fearful (but lovingly shot: the sweep up from the floor is great). Obi-Wan is trying desperately to reach out into the Force for help and reassurance - but guilt, fear and pain seem to be getting in the way.I read some writing by folks soundly trashing the first two episodes for just such an emoting from Kenobi. Frankly, I think they just want to make trouble, but I suppose it is a valid point if one has no idea that Star Wars: Rebels episode Twin Suns exists.  One definitely has less of a valid point if one has seen Episode IV.  Clearly, Kenobi will grow stronger.
  • Properly epic intro to Vader and Castle Dracula Mustafar.
  • Thing I Was Wrong About #1not an apprentice...yet. It doesn't feel like a back channel comm either. But Vader has been watching Reva, and is aware of what she wants.   It's a tad weird to hear 5th Brother talk like he's the heir apparent to the seat.  Reva's ambition make sense due to her aggression.  But in Rebels, 5th Brother seemed forever to be playing second fiddle to 7th Sister, who seemed to show greater brains.  Here, he's seemingly pretty intelligent.
  • "Are we nearly there yet"? My hands clenched reflexively on an invisible steering wheel at that. 🤣
    (Oh, and LZ0-LA59's back, who's likely to be helpful - and making friends already).
  • Welcome to Coachella Valley Mapuzo. If you wanted a place for a showdown, then this is it. And the music to boot.
  • Genuine surprise moment #1: Hayden's first appearance on the hill. Is Obi-Wan's guilt making him hallucinate or is Anakin actively messing with his mind?
  • Cut to Inquisitor HQ: nice design, though why the Empire insists on building in really impractical places is beyond me. Just get a WeWork.  You wonder about building placement from an Empire yet to discover guard rails over deep and deadly locations?
  • Things I (probably) was wrong about #2: barring a second big twist, the GI is dead dead. [punches large button marked RETCON ALARMOkay, this one really kicked the little gray cells into overdrive.  If you've paid attention, many fans, myself included didn't like the look of the live action Grand Inquisitor.  It was close but...off.  I couldn't understand how a production crew so good at details, even in the background signage, could get the GI's look so off.  Then he took Reva's point to heart.  What if...what if he was never suppose to completely match the animated Grand Inquisitor?  What if the tattoos weren't individualistic, but familial?  This could leave room for a relative to step forward and claim the title Grand Inquisitor, perhaps a inquisitor "Brother" as yet unseen, at least in the lesser role.  This would allow a surprise, and allow Jason Isaacs to play the part in live action, even if he merely cameos at the end.  He has said he wanted to play the role in live action.  Perhaps this is the way.
  • "I will get what I deserve and so will you." Nicely ominous line, nicely lampshaded.  "Lampshaded":interesting choice of words, considering the look of his helmet.
  • Speaking of which, "Hi, I'm Frank" is a nice bubble-popping moment. Alien mole, sure, but he's got a beat-up pickup, he's called Frank, he's friendly and sounds like Rowlf. What could possibly go wrong? Freck.  He's fun, sure.  Tiny bit of a nitpick:  I wish they'd stop the recent trend of making humanoids that are flat out animals from earth.  Star Wars should be about mixing up characteristics to get something alien.  Ithorian "Hammerheads" only bear a superficial resemblance to the sharks, unlike the moleman here, or the frog lady (cute as she was) over in The Mandalorian.
  • ...oh, that could go wrong. Guess a cog on your truck is a bit like the Stars & Bars around here. Leia holding it together better than Obi-Wan.
  • Obi-Wan's backstory is interesting. Is there an Obi-Two kicking around? Season 2 "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?"
  • An underground railrohhhhh... NOW we know why Leia's really in this. What exactly does the Empire do with Force-sensitive kids, and why does it sound like she's in even deeper trouble than she was before?  This is a concept extension of Star Wars: Rebels season 2 episode The Future of the Force.  That episode shows more of this concern, but is set about 6 years from these events.
  • Talla? Ria Talla is one of Sabine's many aliases. Wonder if it's a relation?  Tala (one L) and as much as I'd like her to be a member of House Wren, I suspect her background as explained to Kenobi probably rules it out.  *Sigh* Well, it's a mighty big galaxy.  Wouldn't want to paint it so small that everyone can locate someone we recognize, or Kevin Bacon, in six tries.
  • Reva clearly Having Deep Emotions seeing a scrawled Jedi symbol, but also seeing random cruelty dispensed to citizens. She wasn't averse to that before... (Thing I Was Wrong About #3: from the trailer, I thought this shot was about mystical symbols in a Jedi temple, not the back end of a droid shed. This does mean, though, that we've seen pretty much everything that was in the trailer now and the next 3 eps are all going to be new stuff.)  That was unexpected and kind of interesting. One who has no problem maiming an old woman is shocked by Vader's brutality. It's the first stirrings, to me anyway, that she might be something more than a one-dimensional character.
  • Second surprise: I shall deal with this myself... and Obi-Wan is in no shape to fight back right now.  Seething as he is, Vader knows a quick death wouldn't satisfy him.  He could have force jumped over the fire (unless the writers forgot), but is content to let Kenobi escape for now, knowing his wounds will cause significant suffering.
  • Big ol' cliffhanger, though you kind of knew what was coming when Obi-Wan decided to distract Vader and leave Leia rather than flee. Self-serving self-sacrifice out of guilt is a very poor tactical move. Never, never leave kids alone.  Especially willful, impulsive kids who think themselves so clever that they're a danger to themselves and everyone around them.
  • Stick around for the credits: it's apparently Zach Braff under all that makeup, and yes, it's him - the one, the only, the mighty James Earl Jones is back on the mic. I honestly thought it was Seth Rogan voicing Freck until you ferreted out the right name.  JEJ, like John Williams: always a pleasure.

As a very nasty Australian newspaper editor said to my dad back in the 80s, "there's one story in making a hero: there's ten stories in breakin'im". He was right, I suppose, and he's got very, very rich off that. Though he seems to enjoy the breaking part a bit much.

So it's so far, so Hero's Journey. You have to take a hero to their absolute lowest point before you can start building them up again. Fear. Failure. Guilt. Shame. And a fairly mild but ironic ass-kicking. Then give them a job to do, a thing to find, a kingdom to win, someone to protect.

Unless there's some kind of massive twist/parallel universe/World Between Worlds malarkey, we know all three of the key characters get out of this alive. But I think Deb & co are going to put us through the wringer to get there.  Getting out alive and getting out unscarred are two different things.  What injuries are revealed to be hidden under the robe we always see?  What psychological scars are hidden under the hood?  What ages a man prematurely?  How many roads must a man walk down before you call him...  oh, sorry, wrong discussion.

Oh, and -wan other thing:

Spoiler

Leia is now totally the Peter Quill of this miniseries: Insisting on throwing caution and careful planning to the wind to satisfy her impulsive desire.

So far I am very much loving this series.  I have watched every episode several times already, which is something I very rarely do.  I just absolutely adore Ewan McGregor in this role.  You can really see his passion for the character coming through in his performance.  I cannot say enough good things about him.  He is so perfectly cast in the part of Obi Wan in my opinion and his performance is so nuanced and layered, McGregor is showing what a phenomenal actor he is.  You can see and feel how heart broken and defeated Obi Wan is with the weight of everything that happened on his shoulders.  I very much enjoy the "Unforgiven" vibe here - the aged and broken down gunfighter going out on one last mission. 

My gripes are very minor -

Spoiler
  • This series causes something of a continuity error with regard to the dialogue in Episde IV: A New Hope.  The lines as written made it appear as if Anakin/Vader and Obi Wan had not seen each other prior to the events of that film.
  • Leia and a few others mention how old Obi Wan is.  Ewan McGregor is 51, which to me is not old at all.  Sure, that is not exactly a spring chicken, but it is not decrepit old man age either.  I am not sure Obi Wan is supposed to be much older than that at this point in the story. 
  • Leia is a bit too smart for her age in my opinion.  She figures things out much too quickly for a ten year old.
  • I find Third Sister to be a little too over the top moustache twirling.  I was disappointed they got rid of the Grand Inquisitor so quickly.  I think there should have been more time given to the jealousy/sense of entitlement battle between Third Sister and the Grand Inquisitor.  

Not at all a gripe - I love that Darth Vader is scary again in this one.  Really scary!

I am looking forward to how they wrap this one up.  Absolute best of the Star Wars on D+ so far in my opinion.  They really hit it out of the park with Obi Wan.

6 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

My gripes are very minor -  (I'll address them using orange text) - Techwright

Hide contents
  • This series causes something of a continuity error with regard to the dialogue in Episde IV: A New Hope.  The lines as written made it appear as if Anakin/Vader and Obi Wan had not seen each other prior to the events of that film.  Which lines, if I may ask?  I've reviewed the scene of their meeting and dual in A New Hope, and see nothing there that is broken.  "We meet again at last":  nine years is a long time.  If anything this episode added nuance to the dialog and action in A New Hope.  "Your powers are weak, old man": under new canon Vader in A New Hope is not just taunting, but taunting based on their clash in the miniseries, saying Kenobi has once again succumbed to a withering life.   There's long been a complaint that the pacing and action of the dual in A New Hope does not match that of later swordfights.  This episode gives a possible reason:  Vader is actually powerful, but continues to toy with Kenobi in hopes of dragging out his psychological suffering.
  • Leia and a few others mention how old Obi Wan is.  Ewan McGregor is 51, which to me is not old at all.  Sure, that is not exactly a spring chicken, but it is not decrepit old man age either.  I am not sure Obi Wan is supposed to be much older than that at this point in the story. Obi-Wan was born in the year 57 BBY.  The events of the miniseries are in 9 BBY, making Obi-Wan 48, pretty close to Ewan's age of 50 at the time of filming (started May 2021).  Obi-Wan will be 57 at the time of A New Hope.  Alec Guinness turned 62 during the filming of A New Hope.  I'm not sure of your age, but I can tell you that at age 50, my hair just starting to gray, I had a number of people under 25 refer to me as "old".  I'm also entertained when my friend's young children call them old.  The perceptions of youth are skewed.  That said, Obi-Wan is aging faster due to the stress, the weight of care, and frankly despair.  I look forward to seeing something reignite his vitality.
  • Leia is a bit too smart for her age in my opinion.  She figures things out much too quickly for a ten year old.  And that is exactly the point, though possibly a bit subtle, since no one has come straight out and stated it (they may yet when she's not around).  Leia is "showing" to use the term from the miniseries.  The force manifests itself in wielders in different ways.  With Leia it is an inherent insight.  It's when she doesn't rely on this, and sinks back to the level of plain old kid that she gets them into trouble.
  • I find Third Sister to be a little too over the top mustache twirling.  I was disappointed they got rid of the Grand Inquisitor so quickly.  I think there should have been more time given to the jealousy/sense of entitlement battle between Third Sister and the Grand Inquisitor.  I agree with your sentiment regarding Third Sister.  I've previously referred to it as one-dimensional.  However, there were subtle indications during this episode that there's more lurking within her than at first glance.  Particularly the way even she flinches at Vader's ruthlessness.  I've hope for character development before she gets the axe.  Actually, a commenter on YouTube made a fascinating observation:  Leia's comment in dressing down her cousin can apply to Third Sister:  You're scared of him. Your father (substitute Vader). You want him to like you, so you repeat what he says even though you don't really know what it means. You think being like him will make people frightened of you, but really, you're the one who's scared. As I commented in an earlier post, don't be quick to dismiss the Grand Inquisitor, he, or one like him, will be back.

Not at all a gripe - I love that Darth Vader is scary again in this one.  Really scary! Ohhh yeeeeaaah

image.png.e0cc20dca8c98986b0757dd03f32d79f.png

I am looking forward to how they wrap this one up.  Absolute best of the Star Wars on D+ so far in my opinion.  They really hit it out of the park with Obi Wan.

👍👍👍👍 4 General Grievous thumbs up

@Techwright -

Spoiler

The specific dialogue in Episode IV: A New Hope was  - "The circle is now complete.  When I left you I was but the learner.  Now I am the master."  That does not seem to fit well with what we saw last episode.  Quite clearly Vader is no longer the pupil.  The line fit well with the events from Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.  Again, a very minor continuity nitpick. 

As for Leia, yes I understand that she is supposed to be showing Jedi foresight.  It is just a bit much for someone that age to my liking though and borders on making her a mary sue in that regard.  It is a fine line for suspension of disbelief and a similar complaint others have had over the years about Jedi foresight. 

2 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

@Techwright -

Hide contents

The specific dialogue in Episode IV: A New Hope was  - "The circle is now complete.  When I left you I was but the learner.  Now I am the master."  That does not seem to fit well with what we saw last episode.  Quite clearly Vader is no longer the pupil.  The line fit well with the events from Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.  Again, a very minor continuity nitpick. 

As for Leia, yes I understand that she is supposed to be showing Jedi foresight.  It is just a bit much for someone that age to my liking though and borders on making her a mary sue in that regard.  It is a fine line for suspension of disbelief and a similar complaint others have had over the years about Jedi foresight. 

Ah, I see what you're on about.  But I'd note it is "what we saw last episode".  I rather think you'll see a very different result by the the end of the miniseries, one that dovetails with the canon future

On 6/1/2022 at 6:46 PM, Glacier Peak said:

This felt intentionally done, imo. 

I saw that scene and was like:

• Like 1

So apparently there's been a couple of nods to the Legends books which might be setting material up for the future:

Spoiler

I've read very few of the Star Wars books and comics, so this one went by me and I learned of it via others.

In the second episode when Kenobi observes the Haja working his con game on a mother and son, the force-sensitive (implied) son is briefly named:  Corran.  A tie-in to the planet Corellia is also made.  This has fans of the Legends books excited.  There's a very lengthy entry in the wiki regarding Corran Horn, a force-sensitive who occupied a lot of material in the Legends tales.  Erik Voss over at New Rockstars YouTube channel added further fuel to the fire by translating some of the Jedi graffiti in the hidden tunnels of episode 3.  One of those was a reference to the father of Corran Horn, who apparently was also a force-sensitive.

These may merely be easter eggs (the graffiti in Arabesh most especially) or, as Legends fans hope, they may be seeding future stories within the new canon.

For Corran Horn's Legends info try here.

Small note re the GI: series co-creator Joby-Wan Harold has said that they do not and will not break canon during this series in an interview.

Is he:

a) messing with the fans

b) saying Rebels != canon (or there's a slight spin on it)

c) saying GI = OK

d) GI = new GI

Please write your answers on a postcard, and feed it to the nearest bantha.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Vee said:

Translating graffiti is some high level nerdery even for star wars nerds. You start down that dark path and you may wind up with Klingon wedding vows.

Side note: my brain has a habit of storing useless trash rather than things I should actually be doing, so I know that HoGH'ran rln 'RAM vi va vi va va va va vogh, from a copy of The Face, which I read on a train going into Cambridge far too many years ago, translates to this.

(Of course, it's better in the original Klingon.)

Whigrolling
  • Haha 1

Rumors abound that they plan to incorporate Legends material and story elements/characters into the assorted Star Wars TV series, including Thrawn.  We shall see.

Another rumor is that Mace Windu may have survived, but I hope not. Nothing against Sam Jackson, but Mace took about a million volts after being literally disarmed and was blasted out the window for a long fall. If he survived, what reason would have for not seeking out Yoda, Obi Wan and other Jedi and forming a strike team to first shut down and destroy Vader and then the Emperor?

As to Obi-wan, I am enjoying this series and await the next episode with eager anticipation.  This skirmish was only round 1, I predict that round 2 may well occur on Mustafar as Leia might be taken there to lure Obi-wan to Vader.  By that point, Obi should have gotten his head back into the game and regained his fighting edge and spirit. 

At this point he is no match for Vader at all as we saw.  He is horrified at what Anakin has become, he does not believe he can defeat Vader and that lack of belief is making him even more unfocused.

Rumors also abound that the ghost of Qui-Gon will indeed appear to Obi Wan after Obi gets his head back into the fight.

25 alts with all the badges!

4 hours ago, Voltor said:

Rumors abound that they plan to incorporate Legends material and story elements/characters into the assorted Star Wars TV series, including Thrawn.  We shall see.

Thrawn's already been brought into 'official canon' with Rebels and new novels so it's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point we'll see him. Innertubes seems to want Benadryl Bandersnatch for the part, because innertubes.

6 hours ago, Voltor said:

Another rumor is that Mace Windu may have survived, but I hope not. Nothing against Sam Jackson, but Mace took about a million volts after being literally disarmed and was blasted out the window for a long fall. If he survived, what reason would have for not seeking out Yoda, Obi Wan and other Jedi and forming a strike team to first shut down and destroy Vader and then the Emperor?

Some of the Legends & Extended Universe material has already been remade into canon.  In addition to @Mr. Vee's comment on what was brought in via Rebels (incidentally the Inquisitors first appeared not in Rebels but in a 1987 sourcebook for Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game), other source material was used in the Mandalorian.  Although the general idea of disintegrations was mention in Empire, Mando's disintegration weapon was first featured in The Holiday Special, as were the mythosaurs that Mando's ugnaught buddie named.  And then there's Freetown and its marshall.  Probably lots of other stuff, too.

As to Windu, I have to agree.  Best leave him wherever he fell.  Your point regarding lack of contact is sound.  The only other possibility I see is that Windu was considered to be a Jedi that came close to the Dark Side at times.  As such, he might have pulled a Darth Maul, survived by going full dark side, but unwilling to join Sidious & Vader because of the last fight.  As such, he may be off roaming somewhere with a fractured mind, much as Maul did in the aftermath of his fall.   But its still cleaner storytelling to say he died.  Besides, how effective is Order 66 if most named Jedi survived?

2 hours ago, Mr. Vee said:

Thrawn's already been brought into 'official canon' with Rebels and new novels so it's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point we'll see him. Innertubes seems to want Benadryl Bandersnatch for the part, because innertubes.

Benny would be amazing in the role no doubt, but they'd have to do the opposite of Mark Hamill and notably age the actor for the role.  At the time of The Mandalorian season 2 episode "The Jedi" (14 ABY), Thrawn would be 73.  From what I've read online, Chiss are considered "venerable" if they reach 80 years, which appears to be their version of our 100 years. 

• Thumbs Up 1