Obi-Wan Kenobi

iirc the holiday special made the official list back when they separated out the legends. i'm sure we all have our fingers crossed for cgi bea arthur force ghost.

It's been like 25+ years since I read the original Thrawn trilogy as a teen. My memory of it is just that I really liked it. He seems a bit too Brainy Smurf to me in the newer stuff, but I might just be romanticizing the original based on 0 content recall.

I've only seen 7-9 once, which is once more than I wish I'd seen them. Are we entirely sure Bea Arthur's purse wasn't where Rey found the lightsaber in Mitch McConnell's basement?

"It called out to me like a pal, a confidante. It told me my heart was true."

Edited by Mr. Vee

57 minutes ago, Krimson said:

Not many people know what a Jawa looks like under the robes.

Pelli does. I presume it's canon.

2 hours ago, Krimson said:

I bet Matt Smith could do a nice job.

I don't remember Thrawn getting a dance number, but frankly I'm all for it. #ItsThrawninTime

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

10 hours ago, Voltor said:

By that point, Obi should have gotten his head back into the game and regained his fighting edge and spirit.

I honestly hope this is the case as this would be truly epic to see.  However, I temper that in knowing that this is Disney Star Wars which does not have the best track record in handling characters from the original films.  I have a sinking feeling that Obi Wan is going to remain the broken old man and it will be young Leia saving him. 

30 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

I honestly hope this is the case as this would be truly epic to see.  However, I temper that in knowing that this is Disney Star Wars which does not have the best track record in handling characters from the original films.  I have a sinking feeling that Obi Wan is going to remain the broken old man and it will be young Leia saving him. 

Unless they reveal there's a season 2 of Obi-Wan Kenobi, he's going to bounce back by the end of these 6 episodes.  Canon material set 8 & 9 years from these events shows him very confident and in control.  I don't think I'm giving anything away to point to his noble spirit in A New Hope.

3 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

I had heard Thrawn was back thanks to Rebels but hadn't watched it,

As to the Obi series, rumors abound that it was expanded to 3 seasons with Obi slated to appear in other TV series set before the classics.

As to Disney not handling characters from the classic movies very well, that is due to Kathleen Kennedy, imo.   Her TV show for Star Wars called Acolytes I believe, is facing troubles all due to her disorganization and constantly changing things.  Rumors abound that CEO Chapek is phasing her out of the Star Wars projects, Rumors state that Lucas will become President of Lucasfilm and rebuild it and then pass the torch to Fiege and remain as consultant.

As to young Leia saving Obi Wan, maybe. However that would likely occur in such a way as Vader does not see her directly or make contact with her at all via the Force. IF he were to see her or sense her in the Force he may notice the strong resemblance to Padme and do the math or he might just kill her for being a Force sensitive and thus a future threat.  While he does encounter her in Ep 4 and 5 he doesn't do the math until Ep 6.

I suspect that the next 2 eps of Obi Wan will be him seeking Leia while at the same time restoring his connection to the Force and getting his groove back.  The final ep would be Obi vs Vader and possibly Qui-Gon's ghost giving Obi an assist.

25 alts with all the badges!

6 hours ago, Krimson said:

It was Maz Kanata's basement, but I can understand the confusion. Not many people know what a Jawa looks like under the robes.

I was vaguely remembering Bad Fox Graphics on Twitter: "“Meanwhile, Senator Mitch McConnell, fresh  off his cameo in the new 'Star Wars' movie…” #SNL https://t.co/HkA0wUOxjV"  / Twitter

which must've gone viral since I've not watched an ep of SNL since the 90s.

2 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Remember, this is Disney Star Wars.  That is a very, very, very strong maybe. 😉

Well at least Kennedy's influence is diminished now.

However Leia could save Obi Wan from the "certain point of view" that her being kidnapped makes him realize that while he must guard Luke that he is still a Jedi, and that evil triumphs when good does nothing. Thus he retrains and gets his fighting edge back and Qui-Gon helps him with the advanced training to become a ghost. Right now I suspect Qui-Gon doesn't speak to him at all because of Obi's current mindset of despair and now horror at seeing Vader.

Also I suspect this season will be what convinces Obi-wan that Anakin is truly destroyed as he tells Luke in ROTJ.  "Your father was seduced by the Dark Side. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened the good man that was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view"   and also

"He's more machine now then man, twisted and evil"

Obi and Yoda are convinced that Vader is beyond redemption and must be destroyed.

15 hours ago, Voltor said:

As to the Obi series, rumors abound that it was expanded to 3 seasons with Obi slated to appear in other TV series set before the classics.

As to Disney not handling characters from the classic movies very well, that is due to Kathleen Kennedy, imo.   Her TV show for Star Wars called Acolytes I believe, is facing troubles all due to her disorganization and constantly changing things.  Rumors abound that CEO Chapek is phasing her out of the Star Wars projects, Rumors state that Lucas will become President of Lucasfilm and rebuild it and then pass the torch to Fiege and remain as consultant.

As to young Leia saving Obi Wan, maybe. However that would likely occur in such a way as Vader does not see her directly or make contact with her at all via the Force. IF he were to see her or sense her in the Force he may notice the strong resemblance to Padme and do the math or he might just kill her for being a Force sensitive and thus a future threat.  While he does encounter her in Ep 4 and 5 he doesn't do the math until Ep 6.

I suspect that the next 2 eps of Obi Wan will be him seeking Leia while at the same time restoring his connection to the Force and getting his groove back.  The final ep would be Obi vs Vader and possibly Qui-Gon's ghost giving Obi an assist.

While I'm all for seeing more of Ewan as Kenobi, how many adventures can the old Jedi have and still claim he's properly watching the boy?  This one makes sense as saving Leia seems the one thing that would drive him off Tatooine.  Then again, Disney might just be trying to get mileage out of those Tatooine sets...

While I welcome the removal of Kennedy, and would welcome strong input from Lucas, let Feige stay with Marvel.  John Favreau would seem the best Heir Apparent, with Dave Filoni as his Apprentice.

You're on the money...Vader cannot be place in a proximity where he'll know the child is force-sensitive, regardless of whether he realizes the family connection.  Other canon material, however, shows that the Sith are taking force sensitive children to raise as future Inquisitors, or at least a force army.

LOL..I can see that as the title of the last episode:  "How Obi Got His Groove Back".  You're mentioning of Qui-Gon's ghost yields a very interesting possibility, something to close a plot hole.  Qui-Gon, as part of the Force, might not view Vader as something to destroy, but to turn back to the light side.  We've seen other works, especially non-canonical works, where bits of Anakin show through, though he feels there's no way to leave the dark side, as spoken of canonically in Return of the Jedi.  He schemes against the Emperor in some of these.  What if Qui-Gon reaches out to the boy he cared about with his last breath, appeals to that ember within Vader and decides to teach him the ways of the force ghost, with the understanding that the Emperor cannot be told?  That would free Anakin at death, and allow him to appear next to the funeral pyre in Return of the Jedi.

While I have enjoyed watching it, I can't get over how badly Disney is Wrecking established Cannon. By time they are done milking their cash cow, The lore and cannon will be a complete mess. I would not doubt that some executive has already pitched the idea of making it a part of the  MCU multiverse, so that they can do anything they want script wise.

2 hours ago, Techwright said:

You're on the money...Vader cannot be place in a proximity where he'll know the child is force-sensitive, regardless of whether he realizes the family connection.  Other canon material, however, shows that the Sith are taking force sensitive children to raise as future Inquisitors, or at least a force army.

This is one of the gripes I have with this show.  If Leia is supposed to be "showing" her force sensitivity on this series, did she somehow lose it prior to Episode IV: A New Hope?  Luke, Obi Wan, Vader et al did not have any inkling about Leia being force sensitive in the original trilogy.  Vader could sense Luke in RoTJ.  Did Leia somehow have the force as a kid and then it went away until she was much, much older? 

Vader might regard it as a curiosity, nothing more. As the Jedi are no longer functioning, there are probably dozens of untrained Force-sensitive kids wandering around - hence why the Empire's rounding them up in OWK.

Certainly, Vader notes it in EpIV while chasing down Luke - "the Force is STRONG with this one..." but doesn't seem concerned, more amused / annoyed. A Force user that doesn't necessarily know what they're doing or how isn't a problem: even a fully trained Jedi is just a fun challenge for someone of his prowess. Your arrogance is your undoing...

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

27 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Vader might regard it as a curiosity, nothing more. As the Jedi are no longer functioning, there are probably dozens of untrained Force-sensitive kids wandering around - hence why the Empire's rounding them up in OWK.

Yes, they specifically said that the Empire is rounding up force sensitive children, which would include Leia were she discovered.  Were they to find Luke and Leia without knowing who they really are, I seriously doubt either would be getting a pass over as a  "curiosity."  It certainly did not sound like anyone was getting passed over.

That was not really my point though.  If she is supposedly showing now, why was she not showing again and no one knew or sensed what she was in Episodes IV, V and VI until the very end?    It is like her force sensitivity comes and goes on a whim.

Edited by ShardWarrior

4 hours ago, Krimson said:

Sorry but if Star Wars crosses over with Marvel, I'm going to watch the Hell out of that. 

Me, I'm still waiting for the Star Trek/Star Wars crossover.  Well, honestly I just want to see a star ship start beaming stormtroopers into space and inflicting massive damage on Star Destroyers using the cargo transporters to beam bombs in and beam chunks of the ship out.

4 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

This is one of the gripes I have with this show.  If Leia is supposed to be "showing" her force sensitivity on this series, did she somehow lose it prior to Episode IV: A New Hope?  Luke, Obi Wan, Vader et al did not have any inkling about Leia being force sensitive in the original trilogy.  Vader could sense Luke in RoTJ.  Did Leia somehow have the force as a kid and then it went away until she was much, much older? 

The old saying "use it or lose it", Leia may be instinctively using the Force at this time in the Obi series, but without training and being sheltered by Bail Organa and trained as a diplomat and joining the rebellion, her Force powers could have faded.  

Vader sensed Luke in the trench attack on the Death Star and later learned he was the one that blew up the Death Star and that his name was Skywalker. That was when Vader knew his child survived and he began to change.   In Empire Luke's training unlocked his power and the Emperor realized what a threat Luke could be.  ROTJ Vader and Luke sense each other but that could also be the father/son bond via the Force.   Until Luke revealed the truth to Leia she had no real awareness of her power, with her awareness comes her power as she sensed Luke survived at the end. However she wasn't trained yet and did not seem able to see the ghosts at the end.

49 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Me, I'm still waiting for the Star Trek/Star Wars crossover.  Well, honestly I just want to see a star ship start beaming stormtroopers into space and inflicting massive damage on Star Destroyers using the cargo transporters to beam bombs in and beam chunks of the ship out.

And there 's the old question of how would the Enterprise fare against the Death Star

4 hours ago, Voltor said:

The old saying "use it or lose it", Leia may be instinctively using the Force at this time in the Obi series, but without training and being sheltered by Bail Organa and trained as a diplomat and joining the rebellion, her Force powers could have faded.  

Vader sensed Luke in the trench attack on the Death Star and later learned he was the one that blew up the Death Star and that his name was Skywalker. That was when Vader knew his child survived and he began to change.   In Empire Luke's training unlocked his power and the Emperor realized what a threat Luke could be.  ROTJ Vader and Luke sense each other but that could also be the father/son bond via the Force.   Until Luke revealed the truth to Leia she had no real awareness of her power, with her awareness comes her power as she sensed Luke survived at the end. However she wasn't trained yet and did not seem able to see the ghosts at the end.

I simply do not buy any of this at all.  I seem to recall several lines of dialogue along the lines of "the force will be with you always" and the like, so the force "fading" makes absolutely zero sense and seems a rather large stretch.

Edited by ShardWarrior

3 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

I simply do not buy any of this at all.  I seem to recall several lines of dialogue along the lines of "the force will be with you always" and the like, so the force "fading" makes absolutely zero sense and seems a rather large stretch.

Ahsoko Tano tells Mando that Grogu/baby Yoda has a lot of fear in him and that it may be best to let his abilities fade.

The classic game: Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast had Kyle Katarn go through the process of rediscovering his abilities as he let them fade after Dark Forces 2.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

I don't think it's so much that the force is fading, just that a Jedi, who likely is able to "reach out with their feelings" or letting "the force flow through them" at an almost instinctual level, due to training from an early age, is able to suppress that.  It'd be almost like a person, who passively breathes without thinking much about it, may have to switch to taking only shallow breaths, if they were working in a particularly stinky environment or such...

Edited by biostem

12 hours ago, Voltor said:

And there 's the old question of how would the Enterprise fare against the Death Star

It all goes down to shielding.  I don't recall every detail from Episode IV, but if, as folks used to point out,  there's no shielding, Enterprise has torpedoes that can make stardust of a small moon.  And they have the ability to make antimatter bombs (episode "Obsession").  Take out the array, and the only other dangerous defence, the TIEs, fall to transporters and phasers.  The surface-level weapons towers would be incapable of reaching a ship that can phaser-drill a planet's core from orbit.

If they fire first (or spot the primary weapon array charging and get lucky with evasive maneuvers), Classic/Pike Enterprise could run'n'gun around the Death Star.

Defiant's more suited to this gig - could even just about do the Trench Run sideways.

Disco could use Magic Mushroom Drive to jump out of the firing arc repeatedly.

Picard gets obliterated before they've even got coffee set up for the board meeting. Which is frankly just rude, but that's Imperials for ya.

EDIT: thought strikes me. How do the Enterprise cope when they meet their first Force user? Are Spock / Troi Force-sensitive?

(Or maybe another member of the crew - Bones would be pretty hilarious...)

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

It all goes down to shielding.  I don't recall every detail from Episode IV, but if, as folks used to point out,  there's no shielding, Enterprise has torpedoes that can make stardust of a small moon.  And they have the ability to make antimatter bombs (episode "Obsession").  Take out the array, and the only other dangerous defence, the TIEs, fall to transporters and phasers.  The surface-level weapons towers would be incapable of reaching a ship that can phaser-drill a planet's core from orbit.

I think in ep 4 the Death Star defenses were designed to ward off capital ships, but their deflectors weren't built to effectively block starfighters.

Also the original Enterprise DID take a few blasts from the Doomsday Machine's planet destroying beam before shields went down and the hull began to suffer. So maybe one blast from the Death Star super laser could have been withstood.  But once Enterprise shields dropped, the Tie fighters and laser cannons may well end the fight.

10 hours ago, Krimson said:

I'm betting it's some ability to mask your presence or make yourself Dim like Randall Flagg. Palpatine was able to mask his presence without losing any power, and that ability might not be exclusive to the Sith. Heck, Obi-wan might know it and might be the one to teach it to her. Or he just gives her a set of cortosis hairpins. 😄

Just a slight difference in power and ability between Palpatine and a ten year old with no knowledge or training, no? 😉

7 hours ago, Voltor said:

Ahsoko Tano tells Mando that Grogu/baby Yoda has a lot of fear in him and that it may be best to let his abilities fade.

That line did not make sense to me either.