Earth/Thermal - giving Thermal the respect it deserves

Onlyasandwich

Edit: Updated build per some suggestions by @oedipus_tex

I posted on a Plants/Thermal in an earlier thread, but ended up deciding to make a Plants/fiery dom instead, which worked out beautifully.

In my previous discussion around /Thermal, I received some feedback that perhaps I was undervaluing the support power it brings, especially in really tough content. My very proccy Plants/Thermal put minimal investment into the shields and heals, but I'm here to correct that with a new combo, and as always would love your collective insight.

Goals for this build:

• As is my way, proccing them powers out real nice-like.
  • S/L softcapish - achieved. Would love ranged too, but this is a no go with a proc focus.
  • A side dish of recharge resist as I can squeeze it in.
  • Reliably hit +4's.

Where I'd like to see some improvement if possible:

• Some more S/L resist to supplement the defense would be nice. I don't want to sacrifice above goals, however.
  • More recharge would be good. In my proccing, I have sacrificed some of the obvious big recharge opportunities.
  • One free slot somewhere to drop a -KB IO in. Not really sure where right now. I gueeeess I could downslot stone cages a bit more, but I like the S/L resist. Adjusted for this.

General unanswered questions:

• Ideal proc slotting for Volcanic? @Carnifax gave me some guidance on how to test, and I will do so for sure once leveled. I don't really feel like spooling everything up on Beta to test in the meanwhile. Right now I'm going with hold procs as optimal, but if anyone has done the testing already on how effective Ranged aoe is, I'd love to hear, or if it's just a waste of time entirely and I should just do a Purple set instead.
  • Is Earth's Embrace a waste? Between the Extra HP here and the occasional burst of absorb, this guy could theoretically get quite a big pad! I'm open to other ideas about a better one slot wonder though. Quicksand is a consideration - I have always liked it in the past.

The build:

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Technology Controller
Primary Power Set: Earth Control
Secondary Power Set: Thermal Radiation
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Stone Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Fossilize -- GldNet-Dam%(A), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(3), NrnSht-Dam%(3), UnbCns-Dam%(5), GldJvl-Dam%(5), Apc-Dam%(7)
Level 1: Warmth -- Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(7), DS:DSyncHealRech(9)
Level 2: Thermal Shield -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(13), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(13), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(15), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(17), StdPrt-ResKB(50)
Level 4: Stone Cages -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(19), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(19), Rgn-Knock%(50), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(50)
Level 6: Cauterize -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(21), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(23), Prv-Absorb%(25)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(25), Ksm-ToHit+(27)
Level 10: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(27), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(29), GldArm-3defTpProc(29)
Level 12: Stalagmites -- AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(A), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(31), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(31), JvlVll-Dam%(31), PstBls-Dam%(33), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(33)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 16: Teleport -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 18: Earthquake -- DS:DSyncSlowRechEnd(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(34)
Level 20: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 22: Tactics -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(34)
Level 24: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Volcanic Gasses -- SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg(34), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End/Rchg(36), GldNet-Dam%(36), NrnSht-Dam%(36), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(37)
Level 28: Forge -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(37)
Level 30: Salt Crystals -- CaloftheS-Heal%(A)
Level 32: Animate Stone -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(39), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SlbAll-Build%(39), ExpStr-Dam%(40)
Level 35: Heat Exhaustion -- DS:DSyncThreatAccRech(A)
Level 38: Melt Armor -- DS:DSyncThreatAccRech(A), RechRdx-I(40), ShlBrk-%Dam(40), TchofLadG-%Dam(42), AchHee-ResDeb%(42)
Level 41: Fissure -- HO:Nucle(A), PstBls-Dam%(42), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(43), JvlVll-Dam%(43), ExpStr-Dam%(43), FrcFdb-Rechg%(45)
Level 44: Seismic Smash -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), TchofDth-Dam%(45), Hct-Dam%(46), NrnSht-Dam%(46), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Rock Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(48), ShlWal-Def(48), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(48)
Level 49: Earth's Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(9), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(11)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Vigor Core Paragon 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: Task Force Commander 
------------

Edited by Onlyasandwich

Thanks for sharing your build!

First glance reaction: You've picked the same powers I would have and overall slotting is good.

Most of the overall build

Looks solid. You have done a really good job balancing the needs of each individual power while laying the bricks needed to achieve overall goals. There's some really clever use of Hami Os in a few powers I haven't thought to do in the past and will now probably copy--particularly the Taunt Hami in Heat Exhaustion. I've never thought to slot it that way, and your way is superior to how I would probably approached it.

The rest of comments are just suggestions and things to pique your interest.

Knockback Protection

I didn't see any. It's possible I missed it. If not though, be sure to slot it somewhere in the mix.

-Recharge Resist

I notice you've slotted for a lot of it using the Frozen sets, which is fine, and potentially useful. I do think it's less critical on a Controller versus a Dominator build though, and you might be able to use those slots in ways that would be more beneficial for a Controller. The Frozen sets are really expensive, so it might also save you a couple million influence.

Thaw

Choosing to take or skip Thaw will always be one of those controversial decisions, but I think skipping it is fine if it just won't fit. It's the sort of power that falls into the "sometimes useful, always annoying to maintain" category. If you do take it, the good news is its an easy mule for a free +3% Defense IO. 

Stalagmites

You've done a good job turning this into a proc bomb, so that aspect is fine. I worry that you're not getting enough Stun duration here though. I'd consider swapping out the Frozen set for Absolute Amazement, a Acc/Mezz Hami O, or similar set, depending on what makes the most sense. It's also fine to slot this with x5 Will of the Controller x1 damage proc. That will get you 2 damage procs in the power (instead of 4) and an additional +10 global recharge and a much longer stun duration. In the end this one is really up to you and how you view your role.

Salt Crystals

Is now autohit in PVE, so there's no need to heavily slot it. I'd remove the 5 slots here and replace with 1 slot of Call of the Sandman: Chance for Self Heal or the purple Placate proc. Even as an autohit power, I suspect this will be one of your "weaker link" powers, and it would be on my list of potential chopping block powers.

Earthquake

I usually 5 slot this. One Chance for 100% recharge proc, and then 4 Dark Watcher's Despair, focusing on Recharge/End Cost/-To Hit. If you can't make the -ToHit fit I'd just do the 100% recharge proc.

Stone Cages

Earth has one of the faster casting AoE  immobilizes so I'd probably try to put damage here and ignore mezz duration. I think a lot of folks just slot x5 Positron's Blast, for the +6.25% recharge. Sometimes people also just single slot with one accuracy or Hami O. I don't think the slots you're putting in this right now are serving you as well as they could.

Power of the Phoenix

If you're teaming a lot and after your next build review you find yourself with an open slot e.g. because of dropping Salt Crystals, I'd consider taking Power of the Phoenix, to tie in nicely with your Vengeance power. RoTP is a really fun rezz, even unslotted it does 343 base damage. If you put a Overwhelming Force: KB to KD, you convert its knockback to KD and the damage rises to 432. What's funny is you probably don't need any Accuracy in it, because you'll be casting Vengeance moments before, which will give you +28 ToHit. It's a nice 1, 2 combo enemies won't even see coming.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

The rest of comments are just suggestions and things to pique your interest.

Thank you as always for the feedback, @oedipus_tex!

I took a few of your suggestions to heart and updated the build in OP.

As noted in my write-up, I was lacking KB protection, but was stretching for what to pull. I decided that the extra S/L beef in Cages from Overpowering, while nice, wasn't worth the slots dedicated as you mentioned. Siphoned slotting from Salt Crystals to round this out with Ragnarok and used the extras for -KB and also FFback in Earthquake. Keeping Salt Crystals instead of another one slot wonder like Quicksand or Power of the Phoenix for now, but may change with play. The fact that it's auto-hit, huge radius, and super fast cast makes it a pretty handy pause button solo if I need a moment for more durable controls to recharge. If only it took -Def IOs so I could proc it!

I do like to be a bit mindful of slot value in addition to set value, and am not sure the 4 slot Dark watcher's is really worth the payoff here in Earthquake. The D-sync does a decent enough job of getting it up often enough for cheap. I had avoided FFback here, as it is on a mediumish cooldown. However, similar to tornado on my stormies, this is a power that I will be casting on cooldown most of the time, so FFback will still have reasonable uptime overall.  Good advice!

I did take the -slow hit and swapped some slotting for better mez in Stalagmites. Still retained 50%, so not too bad. I may have become a bit too stuck on this stat lately, as good as it is.

Those new D-Syncs are mighty handy! Acc/recharge is a powerful combo, especially in a power that doesn't take have access to it through a purple set. Particularly useful in powers like Heat Exhaustion that don't otherwise take sets, giving you that little extra squeeze of value over a plain IO. End/Rech/slow is also a new favorite, though the slow is often wasted. Extra bonus if it's also a slow power like Tar Patch or Howling Twilight - perfect for these.

Edited by Onlyasandwich