Fire Fire FIRE project

Snarky

4 hours ago, Dark Current said:

What I noticed was it didn't activate passively. Only when I stood in a group of enemies and dealt them damage did mine fire.

I'm going to test again to confirm. I'll record results and post.

Okay, I just ran the test and made the video so you can see the results.

The question is does Numina's proc work in Cauterizing Aura?

Answer: yes, but with a condition. You must be in melee range of enemies. The proc is tied to an active 'to hit' check against foes. It is NOT passively firing as it does in Health.

Video Link of Test

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/1/2022 at 3:02 PM, Dark Current said:

What I noticed was it didn't activate passively. Only when I stood in a group of enemies and dealt them damage did mine fire.

I'm going to test again to confirm. I'll record results and post.

Same thing i stated above.

BUT it does last for 2 minutes regardless of if there is a npc in the aura.

Having an NPC in the aura just resets the timer on it.

Putting the numina in health would result in the loss of the regen bonus and this build needs all the regen it can get.

It works fine as is.

17 hours ago, Dark Current said:

Ok, it's DFB time!

How does fire / fire / fire handle the lowest game levels?

Check out the video to find out!

(Spoiler: could use another ST ranged attack)

I just ran mine in a Posi 1 and 2 event with the Cosmic Council SG.  Granted this was an exemplared 50.  Still.... it did better than I thought it would.  These people speed, so the hardest part was if we did not stay together my little squishy Blaster could (and did) faceplant.  Highlight was an SG member calling for help getting a bomb in the interior dam on Posi 2.  (in Discord "I'm on a bomb, can someone take the agro?") I was the only one near....so I hit aim, build up, fire ball, etc....actually went way better than I expected.  Fire does a ton of damage.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, Snarky said:

I just ran mine in a Posi 1 and 2 event with the Cosmic Council SG.  Granted this was an exemplared 50.  Still.... it did better than I thought it would.  These people speed, so the hardest part was if we did not stay together my little squishy Blaster could (and did) faceplant.  Highlight was an SG member calling for help getting a bomb in the interior dam on Posi 2.  (in Discord "I'm on a bomb, can someone take the agro?") I was the only one near....so I hit aim, build up, fire ball, etc....actually went way better than I expected.  Fire does a ton of damage.

Yeah, the build gets lots of attention. I've been using that to my advantage... draw in the enemies and then roast em!

Here's the other vid I made last night - I had level 33 powers (set to lvl 28 vs lvl 30 foes). So far this is my favorite level range (mid-30s). Build just burns the neighborhood down. I think Chelsea created a monster.

I had recorded a bunch of other stuff the last couple days, but my OBS was pitching fits and had a bunch of frame drops that made the vids too jerky to post. Fixed it, so I finish out my testing.

Singles - done

Teens - done

20s - done

30s - done

40s - skipped

50 - done

50 + incarnates - done

Edited by Dark Current
progress update
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dark Current said:

Yeah, the build gets lots of attention. I've been using that to my advantage... draw in the enemies and then roast em!

Here's the other vid I made last night - I had level 33 powers (set to lvl 28 vs lvl 30 foes). So far this is my favorite level range (mid-30s). Build just burns the neighborhood down. I think Chelsea created a monster.

I had recorded a bunch of other stuff the last couple days, but my OBS was pitching fits and had a bunch of frame drops that made the vids too jerky to post. Fixed it, so I finish out my testing.

Singles - done

Teens

20s

30s - done

40s

50 - done

50 + incarnates

To answer your question.

Yes.. Rain of fire then FSC and fireball.

I play it like a Blapper mostly.

You will carry every team at all levels 🙂

All my builds get played as i don't do power leveling and i don't do farming.. it's boring.

And that build isn't even the crazyiest one i've got, i have an elec/elec that just won't die.

Edited by Chelsea Rorec
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Dark Current said:

30s - done

Try Ward's arc from Night ward, you can access it from ouro. Bring a team or solo it with a spawn density for a full team. NGL I think you will get torn apart due to lack of slow resist starting at maybe +2/8

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

Ok, I just ran another Level 50 test, but this time the team was set against 54 enemies and the missions were the harder I23ish stuff with the UPA.

I did NOT slot my incarnates, yet.

Survivability dropped a bit vs the higher level foes' greater to hit. Plus, these enemies have a decent amount of debuffery.

I dove in a few times to see what would happen. I blame Chelsea for the idea!

End issues with so many toggles. Mez = death in melee. Hot Feet's utility is minimal.

I provide my thoughts on switching Hot Feet for something else.

I repeat my assertion this is a superior 'beta' hitter build - if there's a tank or buffs, you can go off on every spawn without worry.

On 4/4/2022 at 3:36 PM, Snarky said:

Fire does a ton of damage.

well shit, I should probably check this out then..

• Haha 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Ok, just got my low 20s test in.

Ran Posi 2 TF @ lvl 16, so I had my powers up to lvl 21.

Here's the vid.

Similar experience as with the lvl 30ish runs I posted earlier. Plenty of damage. Lots of attacks. Great fun.

Didn't have a ton of Def / Res at that level, but the team was solid with defender, controller, MM for buffs. Plus, there was a tank and a dominator, so safety was high just from the team composition.

I'd say putting everything together so far, I vastly prefer playing this toon in the 20s - 30s. Just a ton of fun and you have endless destruction options. I've found the lvl 50 experience to not be nearly as exciting because mez is much more a negative factor and everyone at that level can throw out lots of damage, so this isn't that special.

The early levels I experienced on the DFB (pre-level 10), were ok, but a bit frustrating with lack of ST attack options and endurance issues with big AoE end hog attacks.

I suspect the sweet spot begins somewhere around level 20 when you have fireball and firebolt to fill out the ST attack chain combined with all the AoE goodness of fireball, RoF, Fire Sword Circle. Need to confirm this still with some upper teen, lower 20s missions.

I don't know if the build gets exciting once it has all its main attack toys by mid-30s. I don't think the powers picked up at end of 30s and 40s make an impact in the fun dept. Need to check that with an early 40s mission.

I also still need to activate my incarnates. Plan is to do a head-to-head comparison of some lvl 50 solo missions with / without incarnates. How much do they matter and do they inject excitement into the late game for this Triple Fire?

Let the vids keep on rolling! After my Posi 2 run (above), I found another PuG doing level 9 missions.

Here's my test of the upper teen levels. Ran with a redside team for levels 15-20 after the course of an hour or so. Recorded first half.

Spoiler opinion: early level power picks need rearranging from the posted Mids build. There are not enough range ST attacks, and too many AoEs IMO.

Suggestions: take Flares, or slot Ring of Fire for attack. Can respec them out later.

The Level 50 Solo Tests are here!

Ran a series of Council 'defeat boss' radio missions at increasing levels of challenge from +0 up to +4, each at x8 foes.

So a total of 5 missions in a row against same enemy with same objective. Incarnates NOT slotted.

Summary: very survivable, farming level damage output

Oh, and check out my prophetic vision at 62 min!

Edited by Dark Current
incarnate negative

On 3/26/2022 at 12:34 PM, Chelsea Rorec said:

I'll be interested to view your findings.

Incarnates-

alpha - Musuclature radial paragon

interface - Degenerative core flawless interface

destiny - Barrier core epiphany

judgement - Ion core final judgement

hybrid - Assault radial embodiment

Lore - demons core superior ally

I leveled it to 50 and had a lot of fun doing it.

I want to start by thanking you for the build to use. Also want to thank Snarky for starting this thread. It gave me a lot of fun playing time as I tested what a Triple Fire can do.

So now that I've completed all my level tests, I'm posting my findings, thoughts, experiences, etc.

I break the video into Pros and Cons, Level Range breakdown, Deep Dive analysis, Changes and Suggestions, Final Thoughts... would I keep playing this?

Here's the link.

Edited by Dark Current

3 hours ago, Dark Current said:

I want to start by thanking you for the build to use. Also want to thank Snarky for starting this thread. It gave me a lot of fun playing time as I tested what a Triple Fire can do.

So now that I've completed all my level tests, I'm posting my findings, thoughts, experiences, etc.

I break the video into Pros and Cons, Level Range breakdown, Deep Dive analysis, Changes and Suggestions, Final Thoughts... would I keep playing this?

Here's the link.

I lost interest after you made the statment about removing tough/weave for Aid self.

And the final nail in the coffin was -

"Do you really need more damage ?"

Nice build but a couple of things.

The defence is not 52%.

It's 44% when surpressed.

So you when you get attacked it's less defence than the original.

Panacea in Cauterizing if it's the same as numina is going to run into the same problems only it will have less of a chance to proc than if it was in health.

Since it is a chance to proc there is no guarantee it will proc thus loosing the 64HP heal/7.5% end than if it was in health constantly procing.

That is a loss of survivability.

Consume V Hotfeet

Consume = 3.81 damage over hotfeet 27.83 damage.

seems like a bad trade off to me.

Weave

It really isn't just a loss of 5% def when 6 slotted its a massive drop of 8% ranged def because you didn't factor in the slot bonus.

Weave is 5.5% +slot bonus 2.5% = 8%

Your slotting dropped weave down to 4%

Not to mention S/L res +Rech and +dmg

Taking stealth didn't recover the def loss as stealth is 2% when surpressed and still leaves you with a def loss.

Travel Powers

Sure taking P2W powers are an option but some like void skiff you can not attack with it on.

Plus people might not want to pay for a travel power.

Also the P2W powers are none enhanceable so any kind of end reduction goes out the window.

And some are an end hog.

Endurance

Throughout the videos you have complained about endurance.

Ok sure it is end heavy.

Problem is you ran Sprint and Hover ALL the time.

The build has enough def not to use hover all the time and running sprint at the same time ?

Thats 0.47/s end (hover+sprint) that is the difference between being stable and not being stable.

Overall

You basicly changed a cheap build and tried to fix it with inf.

More LoTG

More Expensive procs.

Taking hasten at 50 (not fixing anything with inf but omg hasten at 50!)

Defence reduction.

Damage reduction

OMG i need hover then didn't take it in your build.

The original is a balance between end/def and damage.

I am open to improvements and suggestions but honestly i havn't seen any to convince me to change anything yet.

Edited by Chelsea Rorec

5 hours ago, Dark Current said:

I'm posting my findings, thoughts, experiences, etc.

You came to the same conclusion about Hot Feet as what I've been saying for ages:

Auras that can be detoggled on blasters are trap powers if you actually intend to use them rather than have them as mules for set bonuses.

I suspect this is a carry over from melee players who are indoctrinated into the school that damage auras are "free damage" and adds a lot of value on Melee AT builds. I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't carry over well across to blasters, and blasters are not designed to stand in one spot chipping away at one foe and letting the aura nick away at the rest.

If you desire a smoother attack chain at lower levels proccing ring of fires is a terrible idea. Powers with low base recharge don't proc well, and you are better off switching fire blast for flares. Flares has higher DPA than fire blast and can basically chain itself.

On your note about endurance consumption. Have you looked at the recovery numbers stamina offers vs Cauterizing aura? The reason you are starved for end is because you chose to 2 slot cauterizing aura not with endurance mods, but with heal. Did you feel that healing made any significant contributions to your survival?  Again I'll echo what I've been saying for ages about blaster sustains - their primary purpose is endurance recovery, slotting them for heal/regen won't significantly impact your game play whereas slotting them for end mod will.

On another note, panacea +end +hp is way better than a Numina in health.

I'd also recommend digging deeper into the flight pool for evasive maneuvers for more combat mobility. Mobility is key for melee heavy blasters. I would have preferred Combat Jumping + Super speed as that is the most power/slot efficient way to achieve good mobility AND invisibility. If you didn't know, SS + a stealth proc makes you invisible to almost all mobs. But if you are enamored with hover then I would try to fit in Evasive Maneuvers. I prefer SS+combat for it's ability to joust, but flight does have it's merits in difficult encounters where keeping out of range is advantageous. In those scenarios I just use a P2W temp jetpack.

If you subscribe to the idea that hovering keeps you safe then powers that requires you to be on the ground and powers with small radius have poor synergy with that game plan. It's blasphemy to some firex3 blasters but I prefer combustion to fire sword circle for that kind of game play as it has a larger radius which allows you to use it while hover safely above mobs. Most people crap on it because of the animation time but why does that matter if mobs can't reach you to swing at you? Similarly I'd ditch burn - small radius and requires you to be near the ground to use.

Lastly I really don't get the popularity of Firex3. I wonder if it's popular because people really do dig the thematic approach or if people really believe Firex3 is the build that does the most damage because they just blindly believe what they are told from the help/general chat in game, and they don't look at the actual nuances surrounding balance between survival and damage, synergy, game play and strategy to see how it'd actually play out. Fire blast is so good it can carry any secondary, and aside from people clamoring about FSC, maybe burn from a damage perspective, there's not much that else that gets high praise in fire manipulation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

Puts on best hillbilly accent “I dont know nuthin bout numbahs but this heah thang kills awfal fast”

Seriously though I have been running a few Blasters in the last year and a half and this one kills very fast.  Part of that may be I built for zero defense all offense.  Still, Fire is the least resisted damage in the game and Fire’s secondary effect is more damage

• 1 year later

I took @Chelsea Rorec's build and did some tweaking since we don't have to take the Secondary's Tier 1 power (Ring of Fire). 

Also, freed up another power by dropping Aim (I can never fit Aim and Build Up into my rotation, so dropping one of them seems like a good compromise.)

I took Evasive Maneuvers and Rise of the Phoenix. EM pushed the S/L Res over 75% cap and Ranged DEF to 60%. 

I have a few questions:

Rise of the Phoenix or Melt Armor? Melt Armor is great but has such a long Rech. Rise of the Phoenix is good but situational and Inspirations are always an option. OR a third option?

With the Ranged DEF being so high, are there better ways to slot for DMG or RECH? I don't fully understand some of the math on the tradeoffs between DMG and RECH. Also I know that Incarnate content has a higher softcap for DEF. Maybe worth keeping it for that?

And on incarnates, I currently use Barrier Core Epiphany (+DEF(All), +Res(All)). Any suggestions for improvements?

Thanks in advance for all the help. 

https://www.midsreborn.com/builds/download.php?uc=1716&c=699&a=1398&f=HEX&dc=78DA6594594F135114C7FFD399A1D0851D0159B455F6528BDB0B2F0A5A4C800425F1954CA096D1DA36A54471FB202A8BBE18FC18EE0FFA297C56484C8C894B3D77CE1CB8B493DCDEDFDCFF39FF7367CE9DCEDFBF12F9F279EE128CE874CE595B5B9AA2DF72A664CF3B597719EA0AD2E8F697976E38F96C662599764B190E8D89B2B85E2C164A6596E69DBC5B5CCF3965B7904778A150C825D33937BB5A8E783C97718A6E3E1BF26E168B99CC4A9463540809AD578BEE326538779595B2DFE8A25D0CD2B8ACB66440AE8A0D6CD23C6121802D816D060B3B022F18EAF092E15EADCD2D09C932D46355C06508E1B6C01D8629E5A2DB18306D4F89C012B0191A5127106468463D4398DEB1A9D9C0C424CD9689699A6CBD802D059AA540AB14689502ED52A05D0A1CA30241BD4010B3A6A76CD06D835EA081EA720E0C810043174C018BE1386C86062A10D60B84F18BE63E0B7152A238548C28C6E027FBF080A6263DB909BB014F49D36D8BBEBB16E976AF74BB57BADD2FDDEE976EF74BB71FD2D4A6D9186DB86E78CA49DC6498A1F50EBD5207DEC20F7927F09E21860F021F053E313CA2A9D3383859157462921FE59AFA8CF402DD78CA2D38856702CF0536194E634B609BE131E5F6E8363DF81DF043FE300CE2AFC03F810AC3109D330F9EA8E6E8367D6233243643623322362362332236016AEE09ADB97453A10BAF488EEB1D8DE32B1F945D520634C51C408A3B308A09817302E7194C2A33ACEF76589212129B90D8042E308CAB46A813388EB3BC5B8B6CC6749B31842436CC70061181A84023C384774609DE8C0249FD3425B167FA213F185ED394D29F3F858BFC41F75AD0AF8A1AEA8DC5ACA37F4895B9AA051A313E630B962E9062B0C5B7504DC63867ECD52A31DEE8F75A659873F6AB14C27DCB7FCA9F0CF4CFA0CEC1E19E67E9CDA48E2CB451A0BE106F87D7E68385746755C44E75CA6EBC6AE13F0708CD4E

Blaster - Fire Blast - Fire Manipulation Fiere NEW Chelsea Rorec.mxd

Just going to throw this out there: You pretty much always want to go Assault Core on a blaster. Blaster damage scale is so high that the damage boost with a full stack, when combined with the bonus from Defiance, easily eclipses the damage potential of the doublehit. 

The doublehit only deals part of the damage on the second hit, while it is ludicrously easy to have 100%+ damage bonus from Core if you're constantly attacking like a proper blaster. The doublehit is roughly 45% of the damage of the attack, while Core straight up doubles it. While it's active it's like having permanent Build Up. 

The doublehit is really only a good idea on ATs with a low damage scale like Defenders, Controllers, and MMs. Brutes can go either way equally well. 

It is strange to see this thread necro’d.  I have been taking a few Blasters through all low level TF SF Trial content sequentially.  The Fire dies incredibly well.  I just rebuilt him for 50.  

My current build ideas for Blasters is to cram in as many Winter and Purple sets as possible. Full sets. So for Fire Fire this meant the proc’d powers were changed. Because the Winters and Blaster sets have good Defense it is pretty easy to get Ranged AoE energy negative fire cold Def numbers in the 20-35% zone.  1 med purple and softcapped. My Fire blaster has a hair over 50% fire cold resist and that was not a build goal.  

I will post the build tomorrow but I am sure it will look both expensive and inefficient. 

With the change in procs does that effect all the heavy proc powers a lot?

• 1 month later
On 5/21/2023 at 2:10 AM, Snarky said:

It is strange to see this thread necro’d.  I have been taking a few Blasters through all low level TF SF Trial content sequentially.  The Fire dies incredibly well.  I just rebuilt him for 50.  

My current build ideas for Blasters is to cram in as many Winter and Purple sets as possible. Full sets. So for Fire Fire this meant the proc’d powers were changed. Because the Winters and Blaster sets have good Defense it is pretty easy to get Ranged AoE energy negative fire cold Def numbers in the 20-35% zone.  1 med purple and softcapped. My Fire blaster has a hair over 50% fire cold resist and that was not a build goal.  

I will post the build tomorrow but I am sure it will look both expensive and inefficient. 

With the change in procs does that effect all the heavy proc powers a lot?

what change in procs?  They change procs in game or you mean your build?  I just made a fire/fire. It’s only 23 so haven’t worried about a build yet. I might try and get melee def to 45 and 100 blapp. 

1 hour ago, Thrax said:

what change in procs?  They change procs in game or you mean your build?  I just made a fire/fire. It’s only 23 so haven’t worried about a build yet. I might try and get melee def to 45 and 100 blapp. 

about 6? months ago that made a significant change to procs.  removing some unintended effects and attempting to smooth them.  This coincided with a change in AE and (significantly) a change in agro mechanics. subtle unless you are a farmer or a serious tank, then huge.

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

about 6? months ago that made a significant change to procs.  removing some unintended effects and attempting to smooth them.  This coincided with a change in AE and (significantly) a change in agro mechanics. subtle unless you are a farmer or a serious tank, then huge.

I’ll have to look again. I thought they just changed procs in a few powers like burn, not procs in general.