Mace vs Claws

00Troy00

I also prefer Claws in how it plays since I prefer faster playing sets, and the needlessly there ranged attacks. WP doesn't need Body for an Epic, but you honestly don't need Epic attacks either when you have Claws. WP can give you a bunch of End, but it also doesn't protect from End Drain either so more End isn't a bad thing.

I have no qualms with WM, and I am getting back to leveling one soon enough. It is just a playstyle thing as I have taken Claws to 50 three times.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

9 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

Burst? Mace.

DPS? Claws.

AOE? Claws.

Claws dog walks most other sets in the DPS department.

*this isn't opinion. This is proven fact.

Ya know, I don’t do the whole spreadsheet thingy, so maybe? But claws never seems to dog walk a single melee 50 of mine. In fact I dog walk them, but maybe I guess on a more technical level they would? But I know if they’re on my team, I never have to worry about contending with them for damage

And if I’m on my ranged? Claws doesn’t exist even as a damage set period, on a team setting that is, unless, say im just on my terribly slow animation ranged toons. Or my FM brute, but I didn’t expect much from FM

***Based on my performance I’ve never felt like Claws came anywhere close to stealing the spotlight so to speak against any of my melees, they were just another melee to me

Edited by Seed22

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

2 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Ya know, I don’t do the whole spreadsheet thingy, so maybe? But claws never seems to dog walk a single melee 50 of mine. In fact I dog walk them, but maybe I guess on a more technical level they would? But I know if they’re on my team, I never have to worry about contending with them for damage

And if I’m on my ranged? Claws doesn’t exist even as a damage set period, on a team setting that is, unless, say im just on my terribly slow animation ranged toons. Or my FM brute, but I didn’t expect much from FM

***Based on my performance I’ve never felt like Claws came anywhere close to stealing the spotlight so to speak against any of my melees, they were just another melee to me

image.png.68a345e79140bc8bca382450496cf901.png

image.png.c481123af38363b6f942a934c6050b82.png

Claws is like politics. Feels and facts are separate things. How ya feel matters, but the facts are facts.

And my findings aren't exclusive. Mace feels a lot chonkier than Claws, but Claws definitely wins the DPS game. And those times are averages. They aren't "best".

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Thumbs Up 2

Claws has less burst damage.  So the way to squeeze high DPS out of Claws is high recharge allowing for an attack chain of only the best attacks. Think Follow Up, Slash, Focus - Repeat.  Where you stack the Follow Up buff constantly.   It's still pretty good if you are filling in with Strike or possibly Shockwave.  Shockwave has good utility, but not something I'd use for single targets in most cases.

For AoE, SPIN is fantastic on recharge and endurance.  You can add in Shockwave (probably with a KB to KD IO).  Follow Up, Spin, Shockwave - Repeat burns through minions. 

But if like the stratifying crunch of big burst damage. The heavier hitters plus build up in Mace is going to be more enjoyable. 

7 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

image.png.68a345e79140bc8bca382450496cf901.png

image.png.c481123af38363b6f942a934c6050b82.png

Claws is like politics. Feels and facts are separate things. How ya feel matters, but the facts are facts.

And my findings aren't exclusive. Mace feels a lot chonkier than Claws, but Claws definitely wins the DPS game. And those times are averages. They aren't "best".

And reading and understanding are two seperate things. I see you READ my message but fail to understand it. I agreed it probably tops the charts on DPS but, seeing it in action, what I said still stands, in my PERSONAL experiences, as well. 

Fun fact: DPS too is not really relevant overall, it’s burst. Why do you think people rag on Judgements so hard? DPS is nice sure but why would I want to take 5-6 hits on something that could, with good burst, 2-3, or even 1? 

And  lastly? Were those sheets from your build? Why would I care? For all I know you may very well be a middling builder and not know how to min-max. Not to say I think you’re well, that, but you get my point there? You do not constitute any kind of authority on what is a fact, neither do I.

EDIT: Wait a minute are those damn PYLON TIMES? You’re kidding me right? THATS your argument? Pylons?! Aren’t folks universally aware thats a niche way to compare builds? (They are, btw, that was a rhetorical question)

Edited by Seed22

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

7 hours ago, Jaxman100 said:

Claws has less burst damage.  So the way to squeeze high DPS out of Claws is high recharge allowing for an attack chain of only the best attacks. Think Follow Up, Slash, Focus - Repeat.  Where you stack the Follow Up buff constantly.   It's still pretty good if you are filling in with Strike or possibly Shockwave.  Shockwave has good utility, but not something I'd use for single targets in most cases.

For AoE, SPIN is fantastic on recharge and endurance.  You can add in Shockwave (probably with a KB to KD IO).  Follow Up, Spin, Shockwave - Repeat burns through minions. 

But if like the stratifying crunch of big burst damage. The heavier hitters plus build up in Mace is going to be more enjoyable. 

Now this sounds well, more reasonable than just claiming clawz is best. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

And reading and understanding are two seperate things. I see you READ my message but fail to understand it. I agreed it probably tops the charts on DPS but, seeing it in action, what I said still stands, in my PERSONAL experiences, as well. 

Fun fact: DPS too is not really relevant overall, it’s burst. Why do you think people rag on Judgements so hard? DPS is nice sure but why would I want to take 5-6 hits on something that could, with good burst, 2-3, or even 1? 

And  lastly? Were those sheets from your build? Why would I care? For all I know you may very well be a middling builder and not know how to min-max. Not to say I think you’re well, that, but you get my point there? You do not constitute any kind of authority on what is a fact, neither do I.

EDIT: Wait a minute are those damn PYLON TIMES? You’re kidding me right? THATS your argument? Pylons?! Aren’t folks universally aware thats a niche way to compare builds? (They are, btw, that was a rhetorical question)

Yup, they sure are. And I started attacking them with that same mindset. I wanted to see for myself and guess what? They DO translate to overall performance in the rest of the game. The "OmG PyLoN tImEs" is a silly argument, but hey, people want affirmation without effort. I've been doing this back and forth since well before the game shut down originally, it's nothing new. I'm honestly surprised I'm taking this much time to even respond to this,

7 minutes ago, SomeGuy said:

Yup, they sure are. And I started attacking them with that same mindset. I wanted to see for myself and guess what? They DO translate to overall performance in the rest of the game. The "OmG PyLoN tImEs" is a silly argument, but hey, people want affirmation without effort. I've been doing this back and forth since well before the game shut down originally, it's nothing new. I'm honestly surprised I'm taking this much time to even respond to this,

Sure they do. And likewise, though it usually wasn’t over something this…trite. Going forward(pro tip, if I may?):

1.) It’s okay to not have the full picture,  or to be wrong. 

2.) Never show a person who knows builds(not me, btw! I make plenty of mistakes on my builds haha) pylon times. Ever.

3.) When you say something, have ample evidence if you’re wanting to assert a “fact”(read up on that words definition too), not one piece and some vague passive aggressive remark.

Have fun out there!

Edited by Seed22

3 minutes ago, Pzn said:

you need to read this part of your own post and stop there

Where was I wrong? Please elaborate (no seriously, if I missed something here, please direct me.) 

Why are people so defensive over this? I’m just saying Pylons aren’t end all be all. I do acknoweldge my passive aggressive snark at the end there though, whoops! 

Edited by Seed22

11 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Where was I wrong? Please elaborate (no seriously, if I missed something here, please direct me.) 

your first post in this thread where you picked a fight instead of just sharing your opinion like everyone else

On 3/24/2022 at 5:57 PM, 00Troy00 said:

I *think* mace does more burst damage, but I'm wondering if the faster animation of claws gives it an edge in damager-per-minute.

For the record, I'm thinking of Willpower for the secondary.

Make a Mace. WP’s recovery can be more appreciated with Mace 

3 minutes ago, Pzn said:

your first post in this thread where you picked a fight instead of just sharing your opinion like everyone else

I’m sorry if that came off as me picking a fight, that WAS my opinion I meant to convey, not to pick a fight. 

Honestly, thank you for the clarification. I thought I was conveying an opinion instead of a hostile stance, I can be a bit crass haha

Edited by Seed22

1 minute ago, Seed22 said:

Sure they do. And likewise, though it usually wasn’t over something this…trite. Going forward(pro tip, if I may?):

1.) It’s okay to not have the full picture,  or to be wrong. 

2.) Never show a person who knows builds(not me, btw! I make plenty of mistakes on my builds haha) pylon times. Ever.

3.) When you say something, have ample evidence if you’re wanting to assert a “fact”(read up on that words definition too), not one piece and some vague passive aggressive remark.

Have fun out there!

I rarely post my builds and rarely give unsolicited advice/opinions. You're saying the exact thing towards me that you're doing yourself. This is a great example of my real life. I go to a new gym, some people there don't know who I am and what I've done/accomplished. That's fine. My actions do the work of that for me.

Just like at a chain gym, this game is no different. I see a LOT of amazingly stupid stuff, That's fine, I get it. People don't know and they learn as much as they need to get their happy. I don't see a lot of disrespect in either situation. Keep it that way. People enjoy crossfit, despite the fact it's incredibly in optimal for results. It's their happy and they're doing it. I see builds that I swear were put together by someone with a room temperature IQ, but they're having fun with it. All that matters. That's why I love this game. You can be a brawl 6 slotter or min/maxer and still get the job done.

26 minutes ago, SomeGuy said:

I rarely post my builds and rarely give unsolicited advice/opinions. You're saying the exact thing towards me that you're doing yourself. This is a great example of my real life. I go to a new gym, some people there don't know who I am and what I've done/accomplished. That's fine. My actions do the work of that for me.

Just like at a chain gym, this game is no different. I see a LOT of amazingly stupid stuff, That's fine, I get it. People don't know and they learn as much as they need to get their happy. I don't see a lot of disrespect in either situation. Keep it that way. People enjoy crossfit, despite the fact it's incredibly in optimal for results. It's their happy and they're doing it. I see builds that I swear were put together by someone with a room temperature IQ, but they're having fun with it. All that matters. That's why I love this game. You can be a brawl 6 slotter or min/maxer and still get the job done.

I getcha on the first part but I do kind of have to question why you included that whole little middle part about RL in there. I mean, I get what you’re saying, just seems umm..a bit unnecessary, ‘was just apologizing for being crass about Claws. Thought we were just talking about a game 😅

Edited by Seed22

7 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Pylon times are useful for when you are taking on things like Bosses and above. Minions and LTs are AoE cannon fodder. Since Scrappers are known for soling AVs, well, you aren't taking those down in 1-3 shots.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Guys, relax. 

I was just trying to get some opinions about a couple of powersets from people that might've had more experience with them than me. Next thing I know, people are spending more time giving each other hell than they are discussing my question.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 00Troy00 said:

Guys, relax. 

I was just trying to get some opinions about a couple of powersets from people that might've had more experience with them than me. Next thing I know, people are spending more time giving each other hell than they are discussing my question.

I want to apologize for that, I didn’t mean to, or even think, that I would throw it off like this. Truly just meant to give my opinion on the set (Claws) but, I can understand I came off as harsher than intended. 

Then it kinda got a lil weird with the uhm, RL stuff posted. But back onto which one to make; Like I said, Mace. Burst imo will serve you better in today’s meta, and /WP comes with free recov! 

13 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

Pylon times are useful for when you are taking on things like Bosses and above. Minions and LTs are AoE cannon fodder. Since Scrappers are known for soling AVs, well, you aren't taking those down in 1-3 shots.

Yeah I usually don’t like Pylons because they don’t factor in things like res and enemies running( very common issues for scraps unfortunately) but, if people wanna, I’ll just leave ‘em to it. After all, as long as the enemy’s dead that’s all that matters! (That’s right, imma rogue >:D)