Mapserver Madness! (Four-One 2022 Invasion Event)

36 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Cool beans, nice to know I'm not crazy (at least not in this one regard!).

Related: how does one delete the 2x booster?

If you go into your powers tab and then scroll through your Temp Powers/Buffs just right click it and delete it.

• Thanks 1
  • Banjo 1

Surprisingly I thought there would be more lag for this last one we did in Talos tonight. I'm not sure how full the second league was but I'd guess there coulda been 70 players in or around here. Thx for the fun. 

screenshot_220404-21-50-19.jpg

• Like 2
  • Banjo 1

faceplant.jpg

Torchbearer Temporary Hero-ing:

Experts in - Soil Analysis, Hamidon & Hive Viscera Clean-up, Mayhem Motel Menacing, Advertising Aficionados, Undertaking, Undertaken, and........

Spoiler

The Spanish Inquisition!!!

This is a fun event and a great opportunity to level some alts.  That being said, I would really appreciate a little more clarity on just how often it actually occurs - every 90 minutes seems to be best guess I've heard.  Either way, kudos for the devs for having a little fun!

Edited by biostem
  • Like 4
  • Banjo 1

How is exp shared in a raid situation?  everyone in the raid getting the same?  or do some teams get more exp than others?

I would imagine TEAMS who have more AoE damage getting more exp.  In my own personal experience my plant/fire/fire dom was getting 2-3 vet levels per raid because of creepers/rain/fireball with a pet to target through

• Banjo 1

2 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

How is exp shared in a raid situation?  everyone in the raid getting the same?  or do some teams get more exp than others?

I would imagine TEAMS who have more AoE damage getting more exp.  In my own personal experience my plant/fire/fire dom was getting 2-3 vet levels per raid because of creepers/rain/fireball with a pet to target through

Like all combat/xp rewards, it's shared per team whilst in a league. This is the reason why MSR leaders encourage everyone to participate and be active so we can all reap the most out of each run. It's similar to this with the Mapserv events.

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

• Developer

Phew!

Thanks to everyone's combined efforts to hold back the Dreaded Mapserver, our hard-working server engineers had the time needed to suppress and contain the dangerous sentient code!

Invoking an ancient ritual known only as CTRL+X&CTRL+V, we have sealed the glitchy threat away on a very secure USB thumb drive that we hid in the janitor closet, where it will surely never be unleashed again! Definitely. 100%. Nobody ever goes in that closet anyway!

Contained.png.faf71f0651c1897d4b399ef4bdfd2814.png

We hope everyone had fun and walked away with a few extra levels under their belt!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Banjo 1

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

Gonna be as safe in there as the MAGI vaults, right?

• Haha 4
  • Banjo 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I want to add my thanks for the event. It definitely harkened back to the days of the very first Winter Lord event and I did with this one what I did back then: Level up things that I thought sounded cool on paper, but could not bring myself to play for an extended period of time at low levels. This included necro-alting a few characters from 2019.

Now I just have to slot them all, but that's the fun part. Thanks for your time and efforts!

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

Overall event was fun but the design of the GM is perhaps the single worst thing I've encountered in the entire game [Live and beyond] because of how much it removes player agency when on a tank of some kind. It managed to approach the point why I disliked the SWTOR MMO so much because there the only real CC the SWTOR devs seemed capable of coming up with was chain KBs and stunlocks that couldn't be mitigated which the event GM with it's Mag 1000 stuns, holds, end drains, and other abilities inflicts on any and all tanks trying to do what their AT is made for.

Going from full hp to: Stunned, Held, Confused, OOM, Repelled, Attracted, then dead in several hits on a mostly RES capped Willpower Tank is one of the least enjoyable experiences I've had on Homecoming and having it happen several times in a row [some invasions it was 3 deaths back to back, some it was 5] ruined the whole thing. You can't even begin to reach a way to survive that as a) The Threat system in CoX is so badly designed Tank-Swapping doesn't work as it does in other games, and b) you can't reach Mag 1000 protection to prevent being ragdolled despite being on an AT that is meant to have some measure of safety from such effects.

It again deals with players having zero agency on how their toon performs much like how attacks always have that 5.01% chance to miss regardless of what players try despite plenty of other games offering some way to mitigate that. And no, Streakbreaker isn't a fix considering you can end up with attack chains that go: Miss/SB/Miss/SB/Miss/SB as has been documented and reported before despite there being existing tools in game that could work for this.

Event would be 8/10 for fun without considering the GM but with it that drops to -1/10.

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Banjo 1

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

2 minutes ago, LQT said:

Overall event was fun but the design of the GM is perhaps the single worst thing I've encountered in the entire game [Live and beyond] because of how much it removes player agency when on a tank of some kind. It managed to approach the point why I disliked the SWTOR MMO so much because there the only real CC the SWTOR devs seemed capable of coming up with was chain KBs and stunlocks that couldn't be mitigated which the event GM with it's Mag 1000 stuns, holds, end drains, and other abilities inflicts on any and all tanks trying to do what their AT is made for.

Going from full hp to: Stunned, Held, Confused, OOM, Repelled, Attracted, then dead in several hits on a mostly RES capped Willpower Tank is one of the least enjoyable experiences I've had on Homecoming and having it happen several times in a row [some invasions it was 3 deaths back to back, some it was 5] ruined the whole thing. You can't even begin to reach a way to survive that as a) The Threat system in CoX is so badly designed Tank-Swapping doesn't work as it does in other games, and b) you can't reach Mag 1000 protection to prevent being ragdolled despite being on an AT that is meant to have some measure of safety from such effects.

It again deals with players having zero agency on how their toon performs much like how attacks always have that 5.01% chance to miss regardless of what players try despite plenty of other games offering some way to mitigate that. And no, Streakbreaker isn't a fix considering you can end up with attack chains that go: Miss/SB/Miss/SB/Miss/SB as has been documented and reported before despite there being existing tools in game that could work for this.

Event would be 8/10 for fun without considering the GM but with it that drops to -1/10.

Nobody got Mag 1000 stun protection. It's going to hit everyone regardless of how uber the player build. After the first encounter, players look for queues for when the attack is going to occur and step back (or out of the AoE range really). Same goes for other effects and their mitigation strategies. Bottom line, brand new enemy, its going to require learning and adapting instead of face tanking and saying its not fun.

• Thumbs Up 3

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

35 minutes ago, LQT said:

Overall event was fun but the design of the GM is perhaps the single worst thing I've encountered in the entire game

The whole point of the event is that it breaks the rules somewhat.  You want that 10X XP, gotta take an increased risk.  After it happens to you once or twice, you learn to compensate and keep your distance at first.  XP debt is shut off during the event, so it's really just a minor inconvenience anyway...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Banjo 1

TY for making this event happen, it was so much fun and serious EXP..

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Banjo 1

Main toons: Mistress-Six (Blaster), Cyber Bishop (Tank), D-Six (Blaster), Bowmistress (Blaster), Rina-Twelve (Blaster), Blazin' Bow (Blaster), 20 Fathoms (Blaster), Icee Qube (Blaster), Minaton (Tank), Princess Ariel Gabrielle (Tank), Lady Lilia M (Blaster)

7 hours ago, Cobalt Arachne said:

Phew!

Thanks to everyone's combined efforts to hold back the Dreaded Mapserver, our hard-working server engineers had the time needed to suppress and contain the dangerous sentient code!

Invoking an ancient ritual known only as CTRL+X&CTRL+V, we have sealed the glitchy threat away on a very secure USB thumb drive that we hid in the janitor closet, where it will surely never be unleashed again! Definitely. 100%. Nobody ever goes in that closet anyway!

Contained.png.faf71f0651c1897d4b399ef4bdfd2814.png

We hope everyone had fun and walked away with a few extra levels under their belt!

I think the best part of this was seeing the cop cars driving up and knocking people into the air, that made my absolute weekend. Thank you so much for all the hard work on this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Banjo 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

• Developer
3 hours ago, LQT said:

Overall event was fun but the design of the GM is perhaps the single worst thing I've encountered in the entire game [Live and beyond] because of how much it removes player agency when on a tank of some kind.

As others have mentioned, we ignored many of the usual balance considerations when it came to what a mob can or can't do because this was a for-fun event and the expected size of the groups fighting this GM would be league-sized (sometimes even two leagues!). 😱

Rest easy, the various crazy things that the Dreaded Mapserver did would never go into normal, permanent content.

The GM was a flavor wild card thrown into the event to liven it up with some bizarre-level nonsense. Given it's drop reward was a tiny fraction of the event's overall income and most times it was dead minutes into the zone's invasion, I don't believe it had any impact on the event's success.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Banjo 1

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

5 hours ago, biostem said:

The whole point of the event is that it breaks the rules somewhat.  You want that 10X XP, gotta take an increased risk.  After it happens to you once or twice, you learn to compensate and keep your distance at first.  XP debt is shut off during the event, so it's really just a minor inconvenience anyway...

No! Not my debt! Say it wasn't so. You know how hard it is to fill all of those graves in Striga all by myself?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Banjo 1

faceplant.jpg

Torchbearer Temporary Hero-ing:

Experts in - Soil Analysis, Hamidon & Hive Viscera Clean-up, Mayhem Motel Menacing, Advertising Aficionados, Undertaking, Undertaken, and........

Spoiler

The Spanish Inquisition!!!

2 hours ago, Cobalt Arachne said:

the Dreaded Mapserver

I thought it was hilariously fun to get thrown hundreds of feet into the air or across the map.

Good times.

Looking forward to it next year!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Banjo 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

My niece watched me play one of these invasions and she could not stop laughing at the computer with giant mekman legs, especially when it did the dragon's tail foot sweep. 🤣

Also, I don't mind the ridiculous knockback and other effects when I'm getting 10x experience.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Banjo 1

14 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I thought it was hilariously fun to get thrown hundreds of feet into the air or across the map.

Good times.

so i come off the talos island subway and I look up at the hill and there's a lot of past invasion memories.  I don't know if that hill was ever designed to be a gathering point or just became that way because of players' ingenuity.  I started to go down memory lane and then - hey did I just see like 10 bodies fly about 2 miles away in the stunned pose?

• Haha 2
  • Banjo 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

1 hour ago, starro said:

I don't know if that hill was ever designed to be a gathering point or just became that way because of players' ingenuity.

What? Never played "King of the Hill"? 

I found it to be a natural

1 hour ago, starro said:

I started to go down memory lane and then - hey did I just see like 10 bodies fly about 2 miles away in the stunned pose?

lol

• Haha 1
  • Banjo 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 4/4/2022 at 1:44 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

I had a lot of lag from the event as well, but then again

I found what I had found before, you may not alway be able to target things are retain targets ... but pets always can.

So if you target through pets, you can pretty much always have a target to attack.

But, you may talking about attacks by the AV Lag that was invisible and nearly untargetable through most of the event.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Banjo 1

16 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Good times.

Me too and since the meta was you're, essentially, fighting the game gone wrong, it makes sense to have things happen that normally couldn't.

Great job by the Devs!  

I appreciate all you do for us!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Banjo 1