Tankiest Non Brute/Tank???

Snarky

I got a final play on my Fire/time before I stripped it of common IOs, did a respec, and started to slowly add in more ideal slotting. That build was nearly unplayable even on a team mostly due to end issues. It is level 33, so it is basically all good from here.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 4/7/2022 at 4:45 PM, Snarky said:

Ooooooh.  Lol.  I am not trying to “Tank”.   I am just trying to survive.   Substitute “Tanky” with “Most Survivable”.   Unfortunately I cannot use powers like Phase Shift or anything that interferes with attacking.  Invulnerability Unstoppable and Rune of Protection are allowed

As a self-report fan of "dark" powers, I suggest you look at a build where you can set aside 3 (preferably 4) powers from the Presence Pool, you must take 2 to get a third, but both third choices are good:

1. Provoke is an inferior Taunt, but ya gotta pick 2. Don't waste slots on it. The Taunt requires a to-hit, and the MaxTargets is something like 5.
  2. Intimidate is a single target Fear, not worth investing slots in it, good for stacking with
  3. Invoke Panic a very fun PBAoE, doesn't need many slots to be useful. Set bonuses are somewhat mediocre, but there are a couple of %procs available.
  4. Unrelenting is the crown jewel of the set. 6-slot it and you have a reliable self-buff/heal in addition to a self-rez (should you need one)

The Fear affects are a nice backup for ATO pieces that invoke Fear, such as the VEATs. I've never taken the pool with a Stalker.

If the goal is outliving teammates, whether or not they are even near you (i.e. run to the last room and engage multiple spawns) and stand a chance of defeating everything in those spawn, I quite like Ranged w/ AoE control-oriented (Confuse, Fear) Fortunata. You will need other tricks to enhance the scaling damage resistances, but with Unrelenting to fall back on, and the ability to Confuse bosses/support enemies, they can be surprisingly sturdy. I don't really consider this being "tanky" as much as being able to be self-sustaining.

• 4 weeks later
On 4/21/2022 at 5:12 AM, Troyusrex said:

As an update, I’m now 28 or 29 and coming into my own. Not as Tanky as a tanker, but getting close. 

im looking forward to fire imps. I think they’ll increase my DPS significantly 

At level 44 now. I'm enjoying the toon a lot. It's versatile and fairly powerful. 

Mez protection remains a serious pain. Any recommendations?

Edited by Troyusrex
typos

I realize now this is sort of a trick question.  How many people remember what the Devs thought would be the Tank Redside?  Not Brutes.  But then teams got tired of waiting and Brutes were charging in to get Fury.  Masterminds!  While never being the official Redside Tank in anything but a Devs dream the AT is quite sturdy in non incarnate content.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, Snarky said:

Always looking for the odd....

As a thought experiment: What Archetype/Powersets could be made

1) extremely Tanky (at 50/incarnate)

2) damage output is irrelevant (just roll with it)

3) preferably self buffing rather than team buffs (selfish thing, ain't it?)

I was thinking Scrapper would be obvious.... Then I started thinking about a Elec or Dark or ? / Invulnerability Sentinel built for Ranged Defense.....  Invul has good DDR and you stay at Range as much as possible.  Might even grab Unstoppable for the 3 minutes you are forced to be in melee....then back to the hills!

Anything defensed base. Soft Cap yourself, you'll be very tanky on who ever honestly.

Every toon I build, no matter AT is built to Soft Cap Defenses, be it specific S/L/Ranged or traditional sets with either Typed or Positional Defense.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:43 AM, Troyusrex said:

At level 44 now. I'm enjoying the toon a lot. It's versatile and fairly powerful. 

Mez protection remains a serious pain. Any recommendations?

At 50 I'm totally sold on Fire/time. Very tanky. On an ITF +4 I'd run around and aggro mobs to bring them to the group. Wasn't foolproof, once or twice I got busy and did not re-up farsight and faceplanted, but very, very solid. Looking forward to incarnate and a little relief from the endurance puddle. I'm fully IOed up, which helps, but it still need a bit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later

I would like to throw fire/dark controllers into the discussion. 

Soft capped to all positions w/o clarion radialing fade.  Capped S/L/E resist. Soul absorption gets you 15% Hp per second. All that and you are always standing in a bonfire. And you have a heal.

Hotfeet gives you so much "love" its tied with times juncture (probably ice AA and /poison t9 also) on speed to get the mezzed badges until you get your defenses in order.