VidiotMaps for Issue 24 and Beyond

22 hours ago, Alverant said:

Do I run the exe from anywhere or do I need to run it in a specific folder?

The original map pack can be ran from anywhere and will ask you where to install it. You'll want to point it to your main City of Heroes folder.

Hi Blondeshell, is there any place we can view the maps online without installing the map pack? I run 2 monitors and often have supporting info like this on my second screen while playing. I was thinking the unofficial HC wiki might be a good place? Thanks for all your hard work very appreciated.

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

3 minutes ago, Peacemoon said:

Hi Blondeshell, is there any place we can view the maps online without installing the map pack? I run 2 monitors and often have supporting info like this on my second screen while playing. I was thinking the unofficial HC wiki might be a good place? Thanks for all your hard work very appreciated.

It's on the new wiki here.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Apparition said:

It's on the new wiki here.

It's a shame we don't have that interactive one anymore.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

8 hours ago, GetRidOfWires said:

Can someone please point me to the Mac install instructions? I'm sure someone else has figured it out.

Basically:

1. Download both files
  2. Unzip the master file and you get a "data" folder that needs to go inside the "coh" folder that should be in your Applications folder
  3. Unzip the add-on file
  4. Drag the contents of the new "data" folder inside of the "coh" folder
  5. I forget the verbiage, but you need it to overwrite the existing files with those that the add-on contains

I remember having an issue during my test with this because unlike windows, it unzips directly into the folder I was in. So you may wish to make a new folder inside wherever you unzipped the original first, drag the add-on zip into it, and unzip into That folder so that it doesn't rename the data folder it makes. Then you can drag the data folder from the child folder into the root and it 'should' ask to overwrite the files. At that point you can drag the combined "data" folder into the "coh" folder. I keep meaning to do a write-up, but I have about 10x the life stuff to work on right now than before spring.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

On 5/24/2020 at 9:08 PM, Blondeshell said:

The original map pack can be ran from anywhere and will ask you where to install it. You'll want to point it to your main City of Heroes folder.

Got it up and working, thank you.

• 3 weeks later
  • 3 weeks later

This may have been brought up previously, but 10 pages is a bit to sift through. 

I am not sure why, but I've decided to get all the badges on a second character. In pursuit of this, I just happened to notice a plaque in RWZ, and the caption reads:

"This plaque commemorates Lovers' Point, the most popular spot in all of White Plains for a wedding proposal."

/loc is 1469.3 16.7 -5409.4

I share this here because the plaque doesn't show up on my version of VidiotMaps. And I'm fairly certain I've got the updated version. Has there been more than one update? 

Nevermind. A quick search reveals that this plaque isn't associated with any history badges. I'll leave it here so others don't make the same mistake I did. 

Edited by Ukase
Correction

• 2 weeks later

I'm currently using my Macbook & now I'm kinda unsure where to copy these new texture files to since the map structure is a bit different on OS X..

There seems to be no "Data" folder for instance.

Should I just try to create the Data folder or are these kind of files located in a different folder on OS X?

- - - - - - - -

Nevermind! Creating a Data folder seems to do the trick! :)

Edited by GUTROT
Fixed

• 2 weeks later
On 6/14/2019 at 7:02 AM, War said:

i downloaded the PC file, saved it...ran it to data ...downloaded the zip file....extracted to data file...and my maps have not changed. what am I missing or doing wrong?

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I have a similar problem.  I downloaded the PC file and ran it.  No changes to the maps.  No map_city_05_03.texture found in the whole PC.  What am I doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later

I'm computer illiterate. I downloaded the program (both the original & the "more maps" file) and.... nothing. 

When I click the folder to view the map/maps, I'm brought into subfolders which eventually always becomes this pop-up road block:

"How do you want to open this file?"

Looking in the Microsoft store does not help either:

"No results found for this filtering."

Sorry for the infantile question.  And direction would be greatly appreciated.

On 8/9/2020 at 7:08 AM, Mr Shamrock said:

I'm computer illiterate. I downloaded the program (both the original & the "more maps" file) and.... nothing. 

When I click the folder to view the map/maps, I'm brought into subfolders which eventually always becomes this pop-up road block:

"How do you want to open this file?"

Looking in the Microsoft store does not help either:

"No results found for this filtering."

Sorry for the infantile question.  And direction would be greatly appreciated.

That's okay Shamrock, we all have to learn somwehre. What version of windows are you running on? ( sounds like windows 10, the one with the two panel start menu)

8 hours ago, Eoraptor said:

That's okay Shamrock, we all have to learn somwehre. What version of windows are you running on? ( sounds like windows 10, the one with the two panel start menu)

Windows 10,.  I'm very proud of myself for having navigated even that!  LOL

20 hours ago, Mr Shamrock said:

Windows 10,.  I'm very proud of myself for having navigated even that!  LOL

Okay, the first step is to download the old vidot maps as listed on page 1. double clicking the exe SHOULD automatically install it wherever you want it. make note of where you're installing it, you'll need that later.

11 hours ago, Eoraptor said:

Okay, the first step is to download the old vidot maps as listed on page 1. double clicking the exe SHOULD automatically install it wherever you want it. make note of where you're installing it, you'll need that later.

Thanks, and done.

4 hours ago, Mr Shamrock said:

Thanks, and done.

Next download (save) the .zip file at the top of page 1 called More Maps for you. Once downloaded, you want to open it. windows 10 should open it just fine on its own. It whould look something like the pictures below. Along the top of that window will be a highlighted area called "EXTRACT: Compressed folder tools." click on that, and then on Extract All. a new window will open asking you where you want to extract the file. Point it to the folder you put the Vidiot Maps .exe program into when you installed it and click EXTRACT at the bottom. if it asks, then yes, you want to replace existing files.

if you did everything right, then you should be golden. the vidiot maps should have replaced the stock maps in city of heroes ( though they may be hard to read) 362587628_COHextract1.thumb.png.6e5dbca53c6ba7409eadd96be5434da7.png596351260_COHextract2.thumb.png.d8d703e5aba5297a97d0b32b71b0fcf6.png1382527378_COHextract3.png.e471db1f14c3560b412b3835022ea067.png

Edited by Eoraptor

5 hours ago, Eoraptor said:

1382527378_COHextract3.png.e471db1f14c3560b412b3835022ea067.png

That is NOT where the maps should end up. Using your example, all maps should end up in the D:\Games\Tequila\data folder by telling the installer to install to D:\Games\Tequila folder and then directing the second file to extract to the D:\Games\Tequila\data folder.

I am having problems with some bank mission maps. Sometimes they don't line up, not even close. Not all of them. Seems to mostly happen on higher level ones (Founders Falls and maybe IP). Doesn't even seem to every time happen on the same map.  Not sure if it's related to vidiot maps, but I am using both the base and the upgrade. Is it a know issue with banks? Any way to fix it?

Example: See the character marker on the map. That is not where she located. She is really up in the upper right corner near the badge (1).

Bugged Founders Falls Bank.jpg

The Founder's Falls Safeguard mission map is bugged, and as I understand it, that dates all the way back to live. I do not know of a way to fix it. I don't know if there are other maps that are bugged in the same way, but it is certainly possible.

4 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

The Founder's Falls Safeguard mission map is bugged, and as I understand it, that dates all the way back to live. I do not know of a way to fix it. I don't know if there are other maps that are bugged in the same way, but it is certainly possible.

I'm not sure there is as (AFAIK) they simply reuse existing maps and have (as you stated) known glitches that likely require a dev to understand what's broken and fix in the specific mission in the game.