VidiotMaps for Issue 24 and Beyond

Thanks, @Juggy!  It checks out okay for all 8 Badges and the 1 Plaque in Siren's Call.  Map alignment was very good.

Here's your .7z renamed so as to not confuse people. 🙂

map_V_PvP_03_01.8badge-i27.7z

@The Philotic Knight, you should update this map for your City Modder.

Had already downloaded GIMP for Windows as well as the GIMP DDS plugin.  Was just discovering that to the GIMP, it sees Windows links as .lnk files.  Which it can't handle.  Was figuring out what to do when I saw your post.  Really appreciate it!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SpookTheHerd said:

I notice there's a .dds file and a .texture file in the zip, but my maps folder only has textures. Is the dds file required? Same directory, I take it?

The DDS file is not required, that's the image version of the file. You can leave it in as it doesn't affect the game (it disregards it entirely) or you can delete it, whichever suits your fancy 🙂

So, I know much of this modding stuff kind of eludes me, but I swear I have followed the directions from the front page, and then from @The Philotic Knight's CoH Modder thingy, and it still doesn't seem like this thing is loading properly (I don't feel like I'm seeing anything extra on my mini-maps in game; I was hoping to use VidiotMaps to help me get the exploration badges to earn the LRTP). 

This is where I have it installed:

rPCSv9v.png

I'm not sure if I need to send it to a different folder or what. I am currently using the HC launcher, so idk if that's it... Any help for my dumbass would be appreciated. 🙂

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

1 hour ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

So, I know much of this modding stuff kind of eludes me, but I swear I have followed the directions from the front page, and then from @The Philotic Knight's CoH Modder thingy, and it still doesn't seem like this thing is loading properly (I don't feel like I'm seeing anything extra on my mini-maps in game; I was hoping to use VidiotMaps to help me get the exploration badges to earn the LRTP). 

This is where I have it installed:

rPCSv9v.png

I'm not sure if I need to send it to a different folder or what. I am currently using the HC launcher, so idk if that's it... Any help for my dumbass would be appreciated. 🙂

You'll know you have extra because there's a TON of things marked on the map compared to the vanilla maps, so it should be obvious. As for installing, use PK's thread for assistance there, but he's done his damnedest to make it as simple as possible. It basically just needs to get aimed at the game folder and it'll go from there. Manually speaking, just make sure any zipped folder gets unpacked so that you get /data and drop that in the game folder accordingly.

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

2 hours ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

This is where I have it installed... I am currently using the HC launcher, so idk if that's it...

I'm not 100% sure but the folder structure in your screenshot looks more like what Tequila uses, and not what the new HC launcher uses. The directory structure for the new HC launcher install should look more like this:

hc_root.png.b5c01735bdc2de5574d4d11e125e11f4.png

If you open the HC Launcher, hit the settings button in the upper right (it shows up as green in the screenshot below) and at the top of the settings window it should tell you where your install is located.

hc_location.png.1333fca0ebcada35103a9b939bcf5f79.png

1 hour ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I'm not 100% sure but the folder structure in your screenshot looks more like what Tequila uses, and not what the new HC launcher uses. The directory structure for the new HC launcher install should look more like this:

hc_root.png.b5c01735bdc2de5574d4d11e125e11f4.png

If you open the HC Launcher, hit the settings button in the upper right (it shows up as green in the screenshot below) and at the top of the settings window it should tell you where your install is located.

hc_location.png.1333fca0ebcada35103a9b939bcf5f79.png

Thank you! That would explain it; I was trying to put the maps stuff in the Tequila install folder and not the HC one. I knew I was missing something simple and kinda stupid. Thank you @WanderingAries for pointing that out as well. Thought it weird I didn't see the HC launcher in my CoH folder; didn't realize I put it somewhere different. Thank you both again!

• Like 1

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

On 8/20/2019 at 9:31 PM, Blondeshell said:

Make sure the path is actually ..\<game folder>\data\texture_library\MAPS\static and that the date and time of the file is 6/11/2019 6:12:25 PM.

I'm starting to wonder if there's something common among some peoples' installations that I'm not able to see or diagnose with this map. I can load it just fine while running Windows 7 and the new 64-bit client. If there's some consistency with the people who are still having problems with it, I'll try re-generating it with a different conversion method.

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm stuck on installing MORE MAPS 4 U. 😞

I get that duplicating folders is bad. Do I replace the I23 files with the MM4U files? Do I replace the 'city' folder? At what level in the file path do things get replaced?

Sorry, I'm just used to using an install wizard...

Edited by Miltonaut

55 minutes ago, Miltonaut said:

I get that duplicating folders is bad. Do I replace the I23 files with the MM4U files? Do I replace the 'city' folder? At what level in the file path do things get replaced?

Honestly, just use the CoH Modder application from @The Philotic Knight to download vidiotmaps. It makes it so much easier than trying to do it the other way. And if you're using the new HC launcher, make sure it goes into those folders and not the tequila ones (saying that because that's where I messed it up).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miltonaut said:

Manual is simple really. Unzip the data folder and drop it into the root of whichever launcher you're using accordingly. Yes, there will already BE a data folder, just tell it to replace and it'll work when you drag/drop into the folder.

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 11/29/2020 at 4:08 PM, Juggy said:

You're welcome!

Also.. does it show I barely ever set foot in PvP maps? 😁

Used your upload and added the additional 4 in, including the bit with their names.

I'll edit the earlier post as well while I'm at it.

map_V_PvP_03_01.8badge-i27.7z 132.05 kB · 25 downloads

Hello all. After the latest update Bloody Bay map keeps glitching even after I use the updated map above.
Here's a short video of how my map looks before I used the updated map above -

Attached is the photo of how it loos like after I updated the file.

Please help!

1.JPG

3 hours ago, Sneeze said:

Hello all. After the latest update Bloody Bay map keeps glitching even after I use the updated map above.
Here's a short video of how my map looks before I used the updated map above -

That's because as part of Issue 27 Page 1, the map for Siren's Call, which used to have West at the top, was rotated to have North at the top.  Even with Vidiot Maps installed, the active widgets on the map are put there by the City client where it thinks they should be.  The map rotation that @Juggy did to the Vidiot Map for Siren's Bay turned it to have North at the top to match what the City client has now.

Attached is the photo of how [ Siren's Call ] looks like after I updated the file.
Please help!

It's likely you replaced the correct map, because it got changed, but the file put in place appears to be wrong in its content.

Because you're having issues on 2 maps, I'm going to suggest you download again and completely reinstall Vidiot Maps including the Siren's Call replacement map.  I assume you're on PC.

1. Follow the link for the installer for the i23 maps, "vm_mappack_i23.exe", from here (link copied from the first post of this topic then followed):
    1. https://sourceforge.net/projects/vidiotmaps/files/vm_mappack_i23.exe/download
  2. Download the map pack that brings the i23 maps up to i26, "More Maps 4 U", from here (link copied from the first post of this topic):
    1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/q56yb1wboqqsowx/moremaps4u.zip?dl=1
  3. Download the archive with the single Siren's Call map for i27, from the post above, linked here:
    1. https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/3523-vidiotmaps-for-issue-24-and-beyond/page/11/?tab=comments#comment-299828
  4. Find your City install root folder, which I refer to as <root>, using my guide.
    1. https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/24822-finding-your-city-install-root-on-windows/
  5. Move the folders and files of the existing Vidiot Maps install to remove them.
    1. Under <root>, the folder "data" contains all the files that modify the defaults in the City client, including Vidiot maps
    2. 3 folders under "<root>\data\texture_library\" contain the maps that make up Vidiot Maps, "MAPS", "P_MAPS", and "V_MAPS".
    3. Move these 3 folders to a safe location to save them for now.
  6. Run the installer from Step 1 for the i23 maps, "vm_mappack_i23.exe".
    1. For "Destination Folder", give it the City Install Root <root> you determined in step 4, and install all maps.
  7. Open the zip from Step 2, "moremaps4u.zip".  It contains a folder "data".
    1. Copy it from the zip to the City Install Root, <root>, to merge it with the existing "data" folder, overwriting all.
  8. Open the 7zip from Step 3, "map_V_PvP_03_01.8badge-i27.7z" and go into its only folder "map_V_PvP_03_01.8badge-i27".
    1. Take the file "map_V_PvP_03_01.texture" and copy it to this location in your City Install to overwrite the i26 file.
    2. "<root>\data\texture_library\V_MAPS\Static\"
  9. Start your City launcher and run the City client.  It will load the modifications in "<root>\data\".
  10. Go to Bloody Bay and Siren's Call to check those maps specifically.  Also see how the Vidiot maps are in the other zones too.

Report back what happened.  If it appears okay, you installed the latest Vidiot Maps okay and you can dispose of the 3 folders you removed in Step 5.

Edited by Jacke
  • Thanks 1

Gotta say, just downloaded @The Philotic Knight's Modder and it works like a dream. Couldn't be a more intuitive interface. I know he's a pro but with this being a spare-time project it's extremely well thought out and developed. Getting VidiotMaps on the HC Launcher version of CoH with it took about four clicks and I did it the long way on purpose. From what I can tell, it should just be 1) Select Mod. 2) Click Install. Done.

Very, very nice.

Coyote

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shaman Coyote said:

Gotta say, just downloaded @The Philotic Knight's Modder and it works like a dream.

Which is the other way.  I use Debian apt, which has been bashed out over decades to be the best package manager for an Operating System.  @The Philotic Knight has provided a similar tool here for City mods.  I don't use Modder at this time as I'm used to doing the mods to City manually, I don't have that many of them, and the ones I have don't change that often.  But for Kerbal Space Program and XCOM 2, two programs which are often heavily modded and mods change often, I do use similar tools, CKAN for KSP and the Alternate Mod Launcher for XCOM 2, to do most of the modding heavy lifting while I do minimal manual modding on top of them in a safe manner.

However, if you wish to switch to Modder, @The Philotic Knight would have to comment, but one thing you're going to have to do and that's be careful what you do under "<root>\data\" manually.

At a minimum, I think you will need to remove the manual install of Vidiot Maps so it doesn't clash with Modder's install of it.  To do that, follow Steps 4 and 5 from my post above.  And as always, the City client program will only see the changes upon startup.

Modder's topic is here, where you can find more about using it as well as the download links.

Edited by Jacke

On 11/29/2020 at 6:29 AM, Juggy said:

I've made my own (crude) update, I've attached the map file.

I've rotated the map, flipped the various badges and whatnot rightside up and made the text readable again without breaking your neck.

I've run through the explorationbadges, their locations are all correct. 

Extract the file in <whatever drive/path combination to Homecoming>\data\texture_library\V_MAPS\Static

e.g.: C:\Homecoming\data\texture_library\V_MAPS\static

map_V_PvP_03_01.8badge-i27.7z 132.05 kB · 20 downloads

@Juggy when I try to use this file, this is what I see when I go in the zone:

image.png.546655105c3b81dc17dd130d5936da31.png

That doesn't... seem right, right? With all of this stuff outside the map on the left there? Any ideas? Here's where I have the file, and here's the file's modified datetime:

image.png.46a825b8beed2ff6e05366e198bb732d.png

I'm out.

24 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

That doesn't... seem right, right? With all of this stuff outside the map on the left there? Any ideas? Here's where I have the file, and here's the file's modified datetime:

The map in your screenshot is the pre-Issue 27 zone rotation. I checked the update Juggy made the other night and it shows up in-game properly as the 90-degree counterclockwise rotated zone per the Issue 27 change. The date of the file in your directory screenshot is the same date as the older MoreMaps4U version. The date on Juggy's version should be 11/29/2020. Perhaps it didn't get copied into the right spot?

Edited by AboveTheChemist
typo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Thanks everyone. I've updated the Vidiotmaps on CoH Modder with this.

Thanks PK! Hey just a heads up the CoH Modder page on your website still lists it as I23 Vidiotmaps under "Mods available in application" if you would like to update that part, too?

@archaelia - Torchbearer :: Pure Sunlight | Pure Starlight | Pure Voidlight | Pure Magic | Pure Radiation | Pure Diamond | Hyperline | Skittles | Wyndra | Stellagirl | Persephone Yin | Cilatra | Trance Gemini | Cyan Essence | Voidweaver | Zael | Multiplicate | Clanket | thiccuracy | Galaxy Gem | Infinite Rose | Nightflower | Hot Sands | Sandweave | Jetfuel | Plasmahead | Ice Chest | Internal Locus | Danger Dancer | PPD Parks Ranger | FDPC Cryoforce | Black Silver | Vanguard Viper | Arrowdyne | Adam Adrenaline | Violet Velocity | Hypervoltage | Star Huntress | Kat Huntress | Violet Vycanthys | Edge Witch | :.

3 hours ago, archaelia said:

Thanks PK! Hey just a heads up the CoH Modder page on your website still lists it as I23 Vidiotmaps under "Mods available in application" if you would like to update that part, too?

I just removed the list entirely. There's no point, since you can see everything in the application itself. Those were really just a relic of when you could download the mods separately outside the application.

• Thanks 1
I'm out.

On 11/29/2020 at 7:29 AM, Juggy said:

I've made my own (crude) update, I've attached the map file.

I've rotated the map, flipped the various badges and whatnot rightside up and made the text readable again without breaking your neck.

I've run through the explorationbadges, their locations are all correct. 

Extract the file in <whatever drive/path combination to Homecoming>\data\texture_library\V_MAPS\Static

e.g.: C:\Homecoming\data\texture_library\V_MAPS\static

map_V_PvP_03_01.8badge-i27.7z 132.05 kB · 33 downloads

For those who are trying this on Linux using Steam/Proton with Homecoming or Island Rum: 

Homecoming creates a "Data" folder. It's blank, but you can copy the contents of the Data folder from a Windows installation over to the Linux installation, and the overlay should work as expected.

For those trying to run Homecoming using Proton, just add a new game, select the homecoming installer, point it to a location in your /home/(account), and let the launcher install.

Then remove the Launcher Installer, and this time add a new game with the /home/(account)/(homecoming)/(bin)/(win64)/launcher.exe

Then force Proton 5.x as the compatibility mode. The only problem I've found so far (and yes did report it in beta) is that the Login feature is not working.

Island Rum does NOT create a Data folder. I wound up with Island Rum in /home/(account)/CoH and forcing Z:\home\(account)\CoH as the install location. 

You can then create a Data folder: /home/(account)/(CoH)/data 

Copy over the files from an Existing Windows installation, and now the overlay should work there as well. 

4 hours ago, Derek Icelord said:

D:/City of Heroes/

It installs the mod. It's just that one map that's screwy.

I'm assuming you're using the new launcher? If so, you're pointing to the old install, not the new one. The game should have installed (by default) to c:\games\homecoming\

That's where you have to point the app.

I'm out.