VidiotMaps for Issue 24 and Beyond

15 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I'm assuming you're using the new launcher? If so, you're pointing to the old install, not the new one. The game should have installed (by default) to c:\games\homecoming\

That's where you have to point the app.

Nope, still on Tequila. Can't be bothered to do an entire new install just for a launcher.

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

On 12/14/2020 at 12:04 PM, Derek Icelord said:

@The Philotic KnightI just installed Vidiot Maps via your CoH Modder tool and it still has the old rotation of Siren's call. This is also a fresh install of your CoH Modder, as I've never used it before.

@The Philotic Knight, I can confirm that currently CoH Modder is installing the older Siren's Call map with West at the top.

• I removed my manual install of Vidiot Maps following Steps 4 and 5 of my post above.
    https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/3523-vidiotmaps-for-issue-24-and-beyond/?do=findComment&comment=302623
  • I downloaded the latest version of CoH Modder (CoH_Modder_167.7z) and installed it.
  • Ran CoH Modder, pointed it at my HC Launcher install, downloaded "Vidiot Maps I26 (v4)", and installed it.
  • Started HC Launcher, launched HC Live City Client, logged in on Everlasting on a toon of mine.
  • Vidiot Maps appears installed okay, example has the correct Vidiot Map for Steel Canyon.
  • Go into Siren's Call, see the Vidiot Map has West at the top.

20201215a.Jacke_Dark.CoH_Modder_167.Sirens_Call.1.jpg.8881119f4140507b56b83eeb336fe39d.jpg

Edited by Jacke

4 hours ago, Jacke said:

@The Philotic Knight, I can confirm that currently CoH Modder is installing the older Siren's Call map with West at the top.

• I removed my manual install of Vidiot Maps following Steps 4 and 5 of my post above.
    https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/3523-vidiotmaps-for-issue-24-and-beyond/?do=findComment&comment=302623
  • I downloaded the latest version of CoH Modder (CoH_Modder_167.7z) and installed it.
  • Ran CoH Modder, pointed it at my HC Launcher install, downloaded "Vidiot Maps I26 (v4)", and installed it.
  • Started HC Launcher, launched HC Live City Client, logged in on Everlasting on a toon of mine.
  • Vidiot Maps appears installed okay, example has the correct Vidiot Map for Steel Canyon.
  • Go into Siren's Call, see the Vidiot Map has West at the top.

20201215a.Jacke_Dark.CoH_Modder_167.Sirens_Call.1.jpg.8881119f4140507b56b83eeb336fe39d.jpg

I see what happened. My CoH Modder program was pointed to my "new launcher" installation, and I assumed that when I "updated" a mod, that it would pull from those paths:

image.png.4e2407f041b4a665cadf4a8e2ce25c0b.png

But, duh, I'm an idiot, it pulls from exactly where I (as a mod author) TELL the mod to pull the files from, no matter where the CoH Modder "root" path is pointed at, which contained the OLD files:

image.png.37757fa9ac0f7df67e98573f14721308.png

This was a simple case of USER error, not a coding error... in this case, I was the user. The program did EXACTLY what I told it to do. I just told it to do the wrong thing. If you check now, the program should now show an  updated "V5" of the map pack, and that should work. I just tested it myself on my "old launcher" install directory.

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 1
I'm out.

26 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

This was a simple case of USER error, in this case, I was the user. The program did EXACTLY what I told it to do. I just told it to do the wrong thing. If you check now, the program should now show an  updated "V5" of the map pack, and that should work. I just tested it myself on my "old launcher" install directory.

Don't be too hard on yourself, dude.  I've not coded a lot recently but I've done it for a long time.  And I'm currently a sysadmin.  Between them I've had many a time where I though I had all the details right but then discovered I missed something or a not-so-rare corner case.  Just from using it today, I see Modder is well designed and polished and I know what has to be done to get a tool that way.  You check and test based upon the risks, else nothing would ever release.  A bad "<root>/data/" tree can at most crash the City client and with Modder being a mature tool, it's a quick workaround to just pull the last mod(s) added or changed and report the bug.

Ran Modder and saw the updated "VidiotMaps I26 (v5)".  Someone else will have to test it as I'm outta hours delving into the plumbing as opposed to playing in City. 🙂

Edited by Jacke
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later
45 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

FYI, there's now a V6 on the server, which I recommend everyone download. It contains an important bugfix to a bug discovered by @Grim Lynn

Is the issue to which you refer isolated to users of the CoH Modder tool, or is it something that impacts those of us that installed VidiotMaps and MoreMaps4U manually as well?

So, not caught up with the rest of you all: Where is the update to vidiotmaps that shows Siren's Call as it is in game now?

Put into practice that which cannot be thought

Badges: Victory: 1345 Homecoming: 1596
Discord: Blue Jay#2187

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

21 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

You can get it from the CoH Modder tool.

I can find the modder but I have don't know how to use it, open it, or anything. I'm lacking some other component, I think

Put into practice that which cannot be thought

Badges: Victory: 1345 Homecoming: 1596
Discord: Blue Jay#2187

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

28 minutes ago, Blue Jay said:

I can find the modder but I have don't know how to use it, open it, or anything. I'm lacking some other component, I think

Its pretty easy. You start the program, find Vidiotmaps on the top list, highlight it, click Install, wait for the install to finish, then start the game. The modder program doesn't have to keep running in the background.

• Like 1
I'm out.

• 5 weeks later

@ember7401, did you have a manual install of Vidiot Maps before using @The Philotic Knight's CoH Modder?  If you had an old Vidiot Maps install, CoH Modder won't overwrite those files, including the one of Siren's Call with West at the top instead of the current North.

To fix that and the most likely of other issues, I suggest you do this:

1. Tell your current install of CoH Modder to remove its changes.
  2. Remove the current install of CoH Modder.
  3. Find your City install root folder, which I refer to as <root>, using my guide.
    1. https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/24822-finding-your-city-install-root-on-windows/
  4. Remove the folders and files of any existing manual Vidiot Maps install.
    1. Under <root>, the folder "data" contains all the files that modify the defaults in the City client, including Vidiot Maps
    2. 3 folders under "<root>\data\texture_library\" contain the maps that make up Vidiot Maps, "MAPS", "P_MAPS", and "V_MAPS".
    3. Move these 3 folders to a safe location to save them for now.
  5. Download the most recent version of CoH Modder installer and reinstall it.
  6. Tell CoH Modder to install its latest version of Vidiot Maps, which has the corrected Siren's Call map.

Hello and thanks everybody for the help on this topic, though, I have to say, after getting everything installed (I did a FULL reinstall of the game after I saw this happen on my original install, so I did a full/clean reinstall and then patched again, same result) and now my Siren's Call is showing as follows:

image.png.e52568264cc957ecadddca297da5f224.png

Does anybody have any ideas?

Appreciate the time...

Icecomet

Edited by Icecomet

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

Origin: Icecomet  (Arc ID 24805), Origin: Icecomet - Chapter 2  (Arc ID 29282), Origin Icecomet - Chapter 3 (Arc ID 39625)

Chapters 4 & 5  (Under development, Coming Soon!)

3 hours ago, Icecomet said:

Hello and thanks everybody for the help on this topic, though, I have to say, after getting everything installed (I did a FULL reinstall of the game after I saw this happen on my original install, so I did a full/clean reinstall and then patched again, same result) and now my Siren's Call is showing as follows:

Appreciate the time...

Icecomet

If only the Siren's Call minimap is having issues, it's got to be the replacement map for it somehow getting mangled.

Here it is in a 7zip.

map_V_PvP_03_01.i27p1.7z

Extract the file "map_V_PvP_03_01.texture", which is @Juggy's updated version of the Siren's Call replacement Vidiot Map, and put it here in your City install.

<root>\data\texture_library\V_MAPS\Static\

Hello and thank you for the posting.  I have extracted it manually to the folder and here is what is displayed (same as previous):

image.png.2dedf32e9536a3b357d6b7ac23d9e57e.png

Yes, I played a couple arcs today in game and no map issues, ONLY siren's call is exhibiting this issue.  Wish they had just left the zone alone, rotating it was meaningless, other than to mangle what was already working.  😞

Any other ideas?  I am happy to try anything if somebody else has a suggestion!

Best regards,

Icecomet

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

Origin: Icecomet  (Arc ID 24805), Origin: Icecomet - Chapter 2  (Arc ID 29282), Origin Icecomet - Chapter 3 (Arc ID 39625)

On 2/9/2021 at 8:55 AM, Icecomet said:

Appreciate the time...

Icecomet

Have you tried wiping put your Data directory entirely and just installing using CoH Modder?

I'm out.

Yes I did a fresh install of the game and then the coh modder vidiotmaps installation with the same result.

Icecomet

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

19 hours ago, Icecomet said:

Yes I did a fresh install of the game and then the coh modder vidiotmaps installation with the same result.

Icecomet

Did you have both the old installer and the new installer? It's possible the different directories might be getting confused. 

I'm out.

No sir, I've never bothered with the new installer.  When the old one is decommissioned, then I'll look to get the new one put in place, but no use bothering with something that works...

Icecomet

Edited by Icecomet
logic fix

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

The most recent updates are available at this link: Click here for the updated maps

While working on some ongoing mapping projects, I've had need to update a few of these maps. Part of my reasoning for doing so is that Blondeshell has not visited the site in nearly four months, and I wasn't quite sure if/when they might return to provide some of these updates. Rather than wait, I decided to give it a shot myself. My primary goal is to maintain the high standard of quality that Blondeshell and the other folks that have worked on VidiotMaps/MoreMaps4U have provided. I don't have access to the procedures/tools that Blondeshell and the others used to generate these maps in the past, but I tried to replicate the markers/text/etc. as best I could based on the existing maps. I've tested each, making sure the marker locations are correct and that there are no other issues with the in-game map appearance.

April 2021 update (amended): Some users had display issues with these maps at lower world texture quality settings. With immense gratitude to PsiBug for helping hunt down the issue, I have corrected my map production process and generated corrected maps that should work for all users at all world texture quality settings.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
remove old links, re-point to new update post
  • Like 1

Thanks for the updates and the efforts, unfortunately, this still hasn't solved the issue I am experiencing with my messed up Siren's Call map display.

Anybody else have any thoughts??  I am hip to try anything that somebody might suggest!

Icecomet

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

Ok, so I just did a FULL reinstall of the game and I ONLY extracted the updated files you provided.  My Siren's Call now looks like this:

image.png.f92d609e8324ba5ca506afe510466328.png

I tried reveal, no effect. I flew all around and still it didn't reveal anything.  Any possible thoughts?

Icecomet

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs: