VidiotMaps for Issue 24 and Beyond

22 minutes ago, Final Overlord said:

I'm not very tech savvy, so any advice?

I recommend posting your issue in the CoH Modder thread. It looks like you downloaded the source code, rather than the executable, but you'll likely get faster and more reliable troubleshooting in that thread.

The most recent updates are available at this link: Click here for updated maps

General update details are available in the spoilered section below:

Spoiler

Minor updates to two of the most recently published maps

• Abandoned sewer network - Updated Epidemiologist spawn marker artwork - this change will likely not be noticeable
  • Cimerora - Adjusted position of Vision of Ambition (badge 7) due to badge relocation

More details can be found in the zone-specific update log in the update post at this link.

Can I POSSIBLY get the Vidiotmaps update zip file WITHOUT going thru CoH Modder?

Like just post the freaking file without all this CoH Modder stuff?

Norton AV goes berzerk everytime I try to access this site OR download the file.

3 minutes ago, tidma said:

Can I POSSIBLY get the Vidiotmaps update zip file WITHOUT going thru CoH Modder?

Norton AV goes berzerk everytime I try to access this site OR download the file.

The link @AboveTheChemist posted has instructions to get the files.

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:02 PM, tidma said:

The comments on this thread are quite apt:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
I'm out.

51 minutes ago, HunterMS said:

Is there a way to get the latest Vidiots without the CoH modder?

Please refer to my map update post, which contains information regarding manual installation.

2 hours ago, HunterMS said:

😞  Tried that link, still not getting the Cimerora badge locations.

I recommend double- and triple-checking that you are installing the maps in the correct location. In each of the numerous cases I've helped folks that say they can't see the maps after installation, it's because they install them in the wrong location.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I recommend double- and triple-checking that you are installing the maps in the correct location. In each of the numerous cases I've helped folks that say they can't see the maps after installation, it's because they install them in the wrong location.

Thank you very much for your help, I was putting it in the wrong folder.

• Like 1

This would be great if you could get it to work.  I have had multiple failed attempts.  In LIVE this was like a one step process that was so easy.  Download and Install the .exe file and you were done.  Why is it so difficult in HC?  This is very frustrating and not worth the 2hrs I have tried in resolving this issue and support and their replies even more frustrating and their support on this issue is pretty much worthless.  Guess not all that important anyway to me, especially not when having to deal with all the frustration.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 9:56 PM, Final Overlord said:

I would really love to use the Modder tool, but I can't even open the file. I downloaded and extracted it, but then I  just get asked what program I would like to use to open it, and none seem helpful. I'm not very tech savvy, so any advice?

This is as far as I got.

Capture.PNG

Agree, this is as far as I got too and hit the wall.  Use to be in LIVE this was a one step process...click the .exe file and you were done and ready to go.  They have made this process extremely more difficult than it needs to be.  Perhaps a new programmer can come up with a better and more streamline process.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Andramada said:

Why is it so difficult in HC?  This is very frustrating and not worth the 2hrs I have tried in resolving this issue and support and their replies even more frustrating and their support on this issue is pretty much worthless.  Guess not all that important anyway to me, especially not when having to deal with all the frustration.

I am not sure what support you refer to here, but I monitor this thread and (to a lesser extent) the HC discord and try my best to answer questions and help folks out when they have trouble. I have not seen you previously post in either place.

Regarding your second post (wherein you quoted the screenshot), I replied directly under that post with my suggestion. If you are having the exact same issue as is in the screenshot, then you likely downloaded the CoH Modder source code rather than the executable. I recommend using the executable unless you are comfortable compiling the source code yourself. Please refer to the CoH Modder thread if you need more help with that program.

Overall, as I've said numerous times, CoH Modder is by far the easiest installation method. I have no plans to package these maps into an .exe as was done previously, but I do plan to simplify the manual installation process when I release the next update (date TBD). Regardless, CoH Modder will remain the recommended installation method.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Wut?  If you are referring to AboveTheChemist's post above yours then you and I are reading it very differently.

The way I read it, he's referring to the post I quoted, or perhaps the ping was meant for that person and PK just typed my name accidentally (they both start with 'A'). Either way I picked up what PK was putting down (thus the like).

On 12/26/2021 at 3:09 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

[He] never even reached out to me for "support", then proceeds to badmouth me for the lack of support that they never asked for.

Go figure. 

How dare you not be psychic and not be able to provide support before it's asked for!  🤣  🤪

In all seriousness, I went through this same thing not long ago. Not wanting to use CoH modder. I finally did and it took less than 5 minutes and I was done.

If Norton is freaking out then disable Norton. Norton is utter garbage anyway.

• Thanks 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

• 2 weeks later
29 minutes ago, Bishido1 said:

i have completely messed up this install multiple times now, can someone run me through how to delete the files and then re-download with the updated versions? all my maps are completely messed up now.

Assuming that you installed HC into the default directory, and you don't care about any other mods being wiped out, it's as simple as this:

image.png.ddfa19ff7c9aedffefe79caa4a562e05.png

• Like 1
I'm out.

Guys thanks a ton for keeping vidiotmaps up and maintaining them! 😄

Since I play on Linux I have to resort to a manual install, but thats ok, At the start I fired up a VM to dowload the client first, installed vidiots the old fashioned way then moved it to a section of my SSD where I can then launch it under WINE and when an update pack comes along just manually overwrite each file, easy peachy!

A tedious process but something that is more or less my life under Linux where everything is on the hands of the user.

Today I installed the latest update pack and it ran smoothly, also discovered about the old citymap.texture files that had to be removed as they were no longer in use and it was flawless.

My main concern and the reason I had to come to the forums is the latest update broke Cimerora, but lo and behold, its fixed!

You guys are the best!

Thank you for keeping the Manual option available for those of us that are non-windows users!

Also thanks to the thousand for having a small file that updates old maps!

You guys are the super duper awesomeness and make my badge hunting on all thousand alts I have a bliss.

Super venezuelan hug to all of you!

Small Tip for Linux Users: If you have a gmail account, just keep on google drive an updated data folder with all maps (its only 120megs) you can copy and paste on any linux install that has the client. No need to redo everything when you switch puters!

Edited by Destruye Arepas YV
small tip
  • Like 1

---------------------------------------

From Venezuela with Love!

10 minutes ago, Destruye Arepas YV said:

Thank you for keeping the Manual option available for those of us that are non-windows users!

You are welcome, and I am glad that you were able to get everything installed (and even remove some of the superfluous files) without too much trouble. When I publish the next update, I do plan to consolidate the manual installation files into one zip package, so manual installation won't be quite such a tedious process.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

You are welcome, and I am glad that you were able to get everything installed (and even remove some of the superfluous files) without too much trouble. When I publish the next update, I do plan to consolidate the manual installation files into one zip package, so manual installation won't be quite such a tedious process.

Ohhh thank you thank you! Yes, that will truly help me and all other linux bros out there 👊!!!

You the best! 😎

From Venezuela with Love!