VidiotMaps for Issue 24 and Beyond

12 hours ago, Vandalin7 said:

I'm having the same issue with the brickstown map. I tried manually dragging map_city_04_02.texture into the data> maps> static folder, but that didn't change anything,

Make sure the path is actually ..\<game folder>\data\texture_library\MAPS\static and that the date and time of the file is 6/11/2019 6:12:25 PM.

I'm starting to wonder if there's something common among some peoples' installations that I'm not able to see or diagnose with this map. I can load it just fine while running Windows 7 and the new 64-bit client. If there's some consistency with the people who are still having problems with it, I'll try re-generating it with a different conversion method.

• Like 2

Does Vidiot maps still exist in any form as an actual site.  As great as the overlay is, it's a tool best used with the site because the site actually explained which thing was which.  This will point you to where the explorables and plaques are, but it won't identify them.

Virtue Shard:

Quick Shot Kid

Liberty Vanguard

Gleaming Spark

Shadow Squirrel

7 hours ago, Blondeshell said:

Make sure the path is actually ..\<game folder>\data\texture_library\MAPS\static and that the date and time of the file is 6/11/2019 6:12:25 PM.

I'm starting to wonder if there's something common among some peoples' installations that I'm not able to see or diagnose with this map. I can load it just fine while running Windows 7 and the new 64-bit client. If there's some consistency with the people who are still having problems with it, I'll try re-generating it with a different conversion method.

Sorry yeah, that's the actual file path that I used but still Brickstown is messed up. That's the only map that's messed up. Unfortunately, I can't get the date that the file was created because when I download just the map file it has todays date as the created date. Unless I'm looking in the wrong spot.

8 hours ago, Blondeshell said:

The \data folder doesn't go in the \piggs folder. They should both be at the same level (i.e., have the same parent folder), so you'd ideally end up with this:

..\<game folder>\data

..\<game folder>\piggs

So, should I put my data file on my desktop, then? I have no game folder. 

Screenshot (579).png

So I did some testing. I installed the I23 vidiot maps to a test folder and dragged the map_city_04_02.texture from that into the corresponding folder and brickstown map is displaying again. So the old map works, but the new one linked by the OP didn't work for some reason. However, the I23 map texture is good enough for now despite not having the park history badges marked on it.

10 hours ago, Thrak2 said:

So, should I put my data file on my desktop, then? I have no game folder. 

Screenshot (579).png

I ... think so? That seems to be a highly ... non-standard way to install the game, and could lead to future wonkiness with protected folder statuses and such, not to mention having other people help troubleshoot it.

A more straightforward/traditional location might be C:\Games\City of Heroes (or CoH, or Homecoming, etc.)\ as explained here:

Then you'd end up with the following folders:

C:\Games\City of Heroes\data

C:\Games\City of Heroes\piggs

..etc..

Of course you'd have to point your launcher (Tequila, et al) to the new location to make sure everything's hunky dory.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KalSpiro said:

Does Vidiot maps still exist in any form as an actual site.  As great as the overlay is, it's a tool best used with the site because the site actually explained which thing was which.  This will point you to where the explorables and plaques are, but it won't identify them.

The old VidiotMaps/Badge-Hunter site does not exist anywhere, and using the web archive gives unpredictable results. My involvement with it was only through the management interface and had no access to the back end. That was all maintained by BeefCake, and I unfortunately have neither the knowledge nor the methods on how to recreate it.

You can still get the print-out maps as of what Issue 24 would have been, on Paragon Wiki. That might be some compromise.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Category:VidiotMaps

20 hours ago, Blondeshell said:

The only common thing I see across the boards is people continuing to install into the protected folders or anywhere Other than where the game installation walkthrough has you follow. Some people say they have no issues. Fine, but most of the issues that come up seem to coincide with people who don't have what us older gamers call a "normal" installation.

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

23 hours ago, Blondeshell said:

I ... think so? That seems to be a highly ... non-standard way to install the game, and could lead to future wonkiness with protected folder statuses and such, not to mention having other people help troubleshoot it.

A more straightforward/traditional location might be C:\Games\City of Heroes (or CoH, or Homecoming, etc.)\ as explained here:

Then you'd end up with the following folders:

C:\Games\City of Heroes\data

C:\Games\City of Heroes\piggs

..etc..

Of course you'd have to point your launcher (Tequila, et al) to the new location to make sure everything's hunky dory.

Making a proper installation folder and moving my files fixed the issue. Thank you for all your help and your patience!

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:14 AM, Vandalin7 said:

I installed it according to the tutorial linked in the homecoming discord, and I still had issues with the brickstown map and only the brickstown map, which was resolved by using the old vidiot maps texture.

I generated the Brickstown map using a different conversion method. It looks fine on my system, but please test it on yours to see if it works. You should overwrite the existing file in the \data\texture_library\MAPS\static folder

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2ch3yuec88d5dp/map_city_04_02.texture?dl=1

Edited by Blondeshell

So I am having some trouble with getting this to work at all.  I am running on a Mac, and recently did a full delete and re download of everything to get the new patch for Homecoming 64-bit to work.

The problem is while I have a CoH folder, there is no data folder in it to put it in.  There are folders like hc-bin64 and Homecoming, but there are also just random files like cityofheroes.exe and homecoming.exe in there as well.  I tried putting the texture folder in a couple of places, like the aforementioned folders but they are not taking effect.  I also tried renaming the folder to 'Data' and it would only cause the game to not load up at all.  *EDIT* FYI, the error message I get is 'Unable to locate bin/clientmessages-en.bin'

Mind you, the only way I can get CoH to open up is directly through Island Rum, so there is no CoH icon to work around either.  Before the patch, I had a CoH icon that when I right clicked on it, I had the option to reveal it's content, which was like opening it as if it was a folder.  Inside were the places needed so I could put in the vidiot maps folder, but it doesn't exist anymore now.

I know that's a lot, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by Zmnd07

12 hours ago, Zmnd07 said:

The problem is while I have a CoH folder, there is no data folder in it to put it in.  There are folders like hc-bin64 and Homecoming, but there are also just random files like cityofheroes.exe and homecoming.exe in there as well.

It sounds as if you're this --><-- close to getting it right. That CoH folder is where to point the main VM installer. It will/should create the \data folder and all necessary subfolders for the maps to work. The MoreMaps collection starts at the same \data folder, so you'd just extract them and overwrite anything else that was already added by the VM installer.

When all is done correctly, you should have a folder tree like this: "...\CoH\data\texture_library\MAPS\static", among others.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:36 PM, Blondeshell said:

I generated the Brickstown map using a different conversion method. It looks fine on my system, but please test it on yours to see if it works. You should overwrite the existing file in the \data\texture_library\MAPS\static folder

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2ch3yuec88d5dp/map_city_04_02.texture?dl=1

Hi, this new file fixes the problem I was having with the Brickstown map also. It was a blank white square, but it is now back to normal. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Blondeshell said:

It sounds as if you're this --><-- close to getting it right. That CoH folder is where to point the main VM installer. It will/should create the \data folder and all necessary subfolders for the maps to work. The MoreMaps collection starts at the same \data folder, so you'd just extract them and overwrite anything else that was already added by the VM installer.

When all is done correctly, you should have a folder tree like this: "...\CoH\data\texture_library\MAPS\static", among others.

I think that's the problem.  I know there's supposed to be a data folder, but I have no idea where it should go.  Like when I put a data folder in the hc-bin 64 folder, where the 64 bit homecoming is, it gives me that error message I put in before.  I've tried a bunch of different places, but I have no idea where to put it so it works.  

2 hours ago, Zmnd07 said:

I think that's the problem.  I know there's supposed to be a data folder, but I have no idea where it should go.  Like when I put a data folder in the hc-bin 64 folder, where the 64 bit homecoming is, it gives me that error message I put in before.  I've tried a bunch of different places, but I have no idea where to put it so it works.  

You're just barely missing this. The \data folder goes at the same level as all those other folders. That means you need to end up with the following structure:

\CoH

├─\data

├─\hc-beta

├─\hc-bin32

├─\hc-bin64

├─\homecoming

\piggs

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 11:22 PM, Blondeshell said:

You're just barely missing this. The \data folder goes at the same level as all those other folders. That means you need to end up with the following structure:

\CoH

├─\data

├─\hc-beta

├─\hc-bin32

├─\hc-bin64

├─\homecoming

\piggs

Yeah I've tried doing that but the data folder being in there doesn't seem to effect anything. Ah well, worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later

Strangely, I battled the Brickstown Blizzard Curse and Lost. I did each thing I was told to do, completely reloaded fresh twice, replaced the original file with the File you posted on the forums to correct the white map, Just finally gave up and moved on.

Then Today I had a mission in Brickstown, and the Map was...........fixed????. Snowstorm Over.  Perhaps the issue was external to VidiotsMaps, because after the last file I have done nothing, Have been there several times since and it was still white, Yet somehow it fixed itself. Could it be related to the 64 bit conversion? Just thought I would let you know.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

8 hours ago, Marine X said:

Strangely, I battled the Brickstown Blizzard Curse and Lost. I did each thing I was told to do, completely reloaded fresh twice, replaced the original file with the File you posted on the forums to correct the white map, Just finally gave up and moved on.

Then Today I had a mission in Brickstown, and the Map was...........fixed????. Snowstorm Over.  Perhaps the issue was external to VidiotsMaps, because after the last file I have done nothing, Have been there several times since and it was still white, Yet somehow it fixed itself. Could it be related to the 64 bit conversion? Just thought I would let you know.

Thanks for that report. I kinda suspected the problem was independent from the actual map, and possibly dependent on each individual system. I also thought it was due to the 64-bit conversion, but it worked fine on my system the whole time. Whatever it was, I'm glad that it seems to be fixed across the board now.