Inside the Nuke when it detonates or Grav/Rad/Mako critique

The_Warpact

Ok per a few conversations with @oedipus_tex and @arcane in this thread.

And perusing the Dom section, there are 2 things I do not see namely Gravity and Rad together. So now this sparks my interest. I figure with Dimensional Shift, Wormhole/Fold Space to me where they are battered with Rad melee powers and the pets doing what pets do (pooping on the floor and humping your leg) seems like a legit way to turn baddies into red pancake batter.

So now I have an idea and next a build! So off to the laboratory to create my monster, and now fast forward a couple days later, still no lightning or"spark" of genius on the build.

That being said, I do have a build but, I feel its just "mehtastic", this is where you come in to critique and possibly swap out the old "Abby Normal" brain and give it more of a Braniac kind of brain.

But, Dimensional Shift>Fold Space/Wormhole>Splatter time is what it has to be. So without further adieu, my build.

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.1.2
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Dominator
Primary Power Set: Gravity Control
Secondary Power Set: Radioactive Assault
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Lift -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Rchg(5), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(7)
Level 1: Neutrino Bolt -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(37)
Level 2: Gravity Distortion -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), Apc-Dam%(9), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(9), GldJvl-Dam%(11), UnbCns-Dam%(11)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(5)
Level 6: Teleport -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(34)
Level 8: Crushing Field -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(13), PstBls-Dam%(15), TraoftheH-Dam%(15), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg(17)
Level 10: Contaminated Strike -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(34), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 12: Dimension Shift -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(17), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(19), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(21)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Tough -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(36), UnbGrd-Max HP%(36)
Level 18: Teleport Target -- WntGif-RunSpd/Jump/Fly/Rng/EndRdx(A), WntGif-ResSlow(34)
Level 20: Fold Space -- EndRdx-I(A), Acc-I(43)
Level 22: Radiation Siphon -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(42), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(43), DctWnd-Heal(43), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- Rct-ResDam%(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(25), Ksm-ToHit+(25)
Level 26: Wormhole -- SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprDmnGrs-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(27), SprDmnGrs-EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(29), SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(31)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37)
Level 30: Fusion -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Singularity -- HO:Endo(A), HO:Endo(33), SlbAll-Build%(33), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(33)
Level 35: Water Spout -- Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Ann-ResDeb%(39), AchHee-ResDeb%(39), FrcFdb-Rechg%(39), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(40)
Level 38: Devastating Blow -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(40), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Hct-Acc/Rchg(42), Hct-Dam%(50)
Level 41: Shark Skin -- HO:Ribo(A), HO:Ribo(42)
Level 44: Proton Volley -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(46), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(46), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(46), StnoftheM-Dam%(50)
Level 47: Summon Coralax -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(48), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(48)
Level 49: Hibernate -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(23), Mrc-Rcvry+(23)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(31), PwrTrns-EndMod(31)
Level 49: Quick Form
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:

• 14% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 14% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 14% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 14% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 14% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 14% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 14% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 14% DamageBuff(Psionic)
  • 3% Defense(Melee)
  • 3% Defense(Smashing)
  • 3% Defense(Lethal)
  • 3% Defense(Fire)
  • 3% Defense(Cold)
  • 12.38% Defense(Energy)
  • 12.38% Defense(Negative)
  • 3% Defense(Psionic)
  • 14.25% Defense(Ranged)
  • 3% Defense(AoE)
  • +68.75% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • +8% Enhancement(Stunned)
  • +8% Enhancement(Held)
  • +8% Enhancement(Confused)
  • +8.8% Enhancement(Terrorized)
  • +4% Enhancement(Heal)
  • +16% Enhancement(Sleep)
  • +16% Enhancement(Immobilized)
  • +37% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • GrantPower Preventive Medicine (10% chance when PreventiveMedicine, if Scourge)
  • 148.8 HP (14.63%) HitPoints
  • Knockback (Mag -4)
  • Knockup (Mag -4)
  • MezResist(Confused) 56.25%
  • MezResist(Held) 56.25%
  • MezResist(Immobilized) 56.25%
  • MezResist(Sleep) 56.25%
  • MezResist(Stunned) 56.25%
  • MezResist(Terrorized) 56.25%
  • 12% (0.2 End/sec) Recovery
  • 34% (1.44 HP/sec) Regeneration
  • 50% ResEffect(SpeedFlying)
  • 50% ResEffect(RechargeTime)
  • 50% ResEffect(SpeedRunning)
  • 27% Resistance(Smashing)
  • 27% Resistance(Lethal)
  • 41.25% Resistance(Fire)
  • 41.25% Resistance(Cold)
  • 23% Resistance(Psionic)
  • 19.5% Resistance(Energy)
  • 19.5% Resistance(Negative)
  • 18% Resistance(Toxic)

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I recently solo-leveled a Grav/Thorn/Leviathan Dom and it may have been my quickest toon to reach 50.  It plays a little like a devices blaster and a stalker rolled into one.   You set up the trap and gank a group by wormholing their happy butts on top of you. Then let all hell break loose.   Teaming requires a very different playstyle because of the steamroller effect.  

I would rethink your slotting of Dimension Shift.  It is an auto-hit, pseudo-pet phase power which cannot be made permanent because it doesn't recharge until it is deactivated or expires. With the recharge doms strive for, you will be getting it back up at its' quickest recharge easily.  Put those slots somewhere else. The proc is wasted in there too.  I like the power but I just use a single endurance reduction in it and call it good.  I will caution you about casting it on already-moving enemies.  It pulses the immobilize, so fast enemies can run right through it before the pulse hits.  I'm looking at you, Warwolves and Spectral Demons, among others. 

You don't need the knockdown proc in Water Spout.  It uses knock up. So none of your enemies will be thrown around, they will go up and straight down, unless hit by another knock power.  

Consider whether you might be able to swap in sorcery and enjoy the beauty that is an enflamed singularity with tp friend. It looks super cool, and adds another layer of fairly passive input burning baddies to the ground. It's extra good on Doms because it goes off their above average ranged damage modifier.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

33 minutes ago, TNT said:

I recently solo-leveled a Grav/Thorn/Leviathan Dom and it may have been my quickest toon to reach 50.  It plays a little like a devices blaster and a stalker rolled into one.   You set up the trap and gank a group by wormholing their happy butts on top of you. Then let all hell break loose.   Teaming requires a very different playstyle because of the steamroller effect.  

I would rethink your slotting of Dimension Shift.  It is an auto-hit, pseudo-pet phase power which cannot be made permanent because it doesn't recharge until it is deactivated or expires. With the recharge doms strive for, you will be getting it back up at its' quickest recharge easily.  Put those slots somewhere else. The proc is wasted in there too.  I like the power but I just use a single endurance reduction in it and call it good.  I will caution you about casting it on already-moving enemies.  It pulses the immobilize, so fast enemies can run right through it before the pulse hits.  I'm looking at you, Warwolves and Spectral Demons, among others. 

You don't need the knockdown proc in Water Spout.  It uses knock up. So none of your enemies will be thrown around, they will go up and straight down, unless hit by another knock power.  

14 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

Consider whether you might be able to swap in sorcery and enjoy the beauty that is an enflamed singularity with tp friend. It looks super cool, and adds another layer of fairly passive input burning baddies tithe ground. It's extra good on Doms because it goes off their above average ranged damage modifier.

Couple things to definitely thing about. Sounds like a project for after work tomorrow. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I considered mentioning the enflame tactic also.  I would almost consider dropping the fighting pool for sorcery.   I haven't tried it personally.  

I don't run the grav dom with the fighting pool.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, TNT said:

dropping the fighting pool

I would definitely drop Fighting for sorcery. I don't miss it on my grav/energy Dom. It's really nice not having to deal with the extra toggles. Rune is also useful in more situations than tough, and requires minimal slot investment. Spirit ward is a great mule for the pm absorb proc. Unlike heals, absorbs actually work on singularity, so ward meaningful contributes to pet survival with its continual absorb tics.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Thanks 1

I built a Grav/Rad specifically a while back but was not very happy with the end result. This is partly just related to specific issues I have with Gravity Control. Some players seem to enjoy Gravity Control on Dominators, so don't let my personal opinion color your efforts. It's a perfectly playable set, but also one that I haven't personally been able to make match the performance of many of several other primaries.

A quick glance at the starting DPA of Gravity and Radiation Assault gives us this starting point:

image.png.43b10f12b504660b6c1ed4f02c6242dc.png

Your build is currently here:

image.png.b027029f7823a30e03f053d358c9bf13.png

You were right to skip Propel. Propel is a cool looking power that is unfortunately as much trash on Dominators as the garbage it hurls at enemies. It does have AoE knockdown. So do lots of powers, and they hit harder than a T1 blast like Neutrino Bolt. And keep in mind that's Propel's numbers only after setting up the shot with Gravity Distortion for the Impact damage. It's a garbage power.

Lift on the other hand is pretty good DPA. Lift 5 slotted with Apocalypse, including the damage proc, and the sixth slotted devoted to a second damage proc, is 227 DPA. Devastating Blow on your current build is 226 DPA. That does require setting up Lift with Grav Distortion first, but you probably need to be doing that anyway. 

Quite controversially, I also think there's a case to skip Devastating Blow entirely. I'd use some version of a rotation of Grav Distortion > Lift > Contaminated Strike, throw in Proton Volley whenever it's up or Radiation Siphon when you need to heal. You may be able to find a way to proc Devastating Blow creatively and get some great DPA out of it, but I never found a formula that worked for me.

Rad Siphon needs Accuracy. It's kind of a frustrating power to use in my experience. Stuff tends to die before you can proc reliably off of the radiation infection. It's fine to slot purely as a heal, just make sure it will actually have enough Accuracy to hit. It's a power that you never want to miss (sadly no matter what you do it always will at least 5% of the time).

If this is an AoE/general content build, I'd take Atom Smasher, put the Dominator +Damage ATO in it, and also the Achille's Heel chance for -Resist. You'll be hoovering enemies into tight groups, which can take advantage of the small 10 ft radius. It's a slow casting power, nearly 3 seconds, but not a terrible proc vehicle. 

I don't think Water Spout works that well with procs. I'd just slot it for straight damage. Either x6 Artillery for the Ranged Defense, or x5 Posi's Blast if you need Recharge.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 5:42 PM, oedipus_tex said:

I built a Grav/Rad specifically a while back but was not very happy with the end result. This is partly just related to specific issues I have with Gravity Control. Some players seem to enjoy Gravity Control on Dominators, so don't let my personal opinion color your efforts. It's a perfectly playable set, but also one that I haven't personally been able to make match the performance of many of several other primaries.

A quick glance at the starting DPA of Gravity and Radiation Assault gives us this starting point:

image.png.43b10f12b504660b6c1ed4f02c6242dc.png

Your build is currently here:

image.png.b027029f7823a30e03f053d358c9bf13.png

You were right to skip Propel. Propel is a cool looking power that is unfortunately as much trash on Dominators as the garbage it hurls at enemies. It does have AoE knockdown. So do lots of powers, and they hit harder than a T1 blast like Neutrino Bolt. And keep in mind that's Propel's numbers only after setting up the shot with Gravity Distortion for the Impact damage. It's a garbage power.

Lift on the other hand is pretty good DPA. Lift 5 slotted with Apocalypse, including the damage proc, and the sixth slotted devoted to a second damage proc, is 227 DPA. Devastating Blow on your current build is 226 DPA. That does require setting up Lift with Grav Distortion first, but you probably need to be doing that anyway. 

Quite controversially, I also think there's a case to skip Devastating Blow entirely. I'd use some version of a rotation of Grav Distortion > Lift > Contaminated Strike, throw in Proton Volley whenever it's up or Radiation Siphon when you need to heal. You may be able to find a way to proc Devastating Blow creatively and get some great DPA out of it, but I never found a formula that worked for me.

Rad Siphon needs Accuracy. It's kind of a frustrating power to use in my experience. Stuff tends to die before you can proc reliably off of the radiation infection. It's fine to slot purely as a heal, just make sure it will actually have enough Accuracy to hit. It's a power that you never want to miss (sadly no matter what you do it always will at least 5% of the time).

If this is an AoE/general content build, I'd take Atom Smasher, put the Dominator +Damage ATO in it, and also the Achille's Heel chance for -Resist. You'll be hoovering enemies into tight groups, which can take advantage of the small 10 ft radius. It's a slow casting power, nearly 3 seconds, but not a terrible proc vehicle. 

I don't think Water Spout works that well with procs. I'd just slot it for straight damage. Either x6 Artillery for the Ranged Defense, or x5 Posi's Blast if you need Recharge.

Didn't even realize you posted this forum is terrible at letting people know you got a response. 

Anywho thanks for graphing out the powers, I might put this one on the back burner, I'm running a Grav troller who's 39 now, and 3 other dom's that I'm leveling. So the plate is quite full, plus getting my pvp blaster ready.

I will use your suggestions and strengthen up the powers mentioned, I wasn't fond if using water Spout on this toon but I use it often on my trollers and that should be a difference.

Gravity control is a clunky set to use.  Wormhole in particular, neat power but oh if it only behaved a bit more like Fold Space...

Gravity works well with a powerboosting ability for that stun in Wormhole along with the other controls.  To me though Gravity control is more wasted on doms since those long animating damage attacks are subpar compared to the assault powers offered to you, although it is fun to toss a pool table at someone.  

As far as Radiation Assault I find it to be a meh power set.  The animations are so long and the damage is not nearly as good as you'd find on other power sets like Fire or Energy and the heal is unreliable whereas on Dark it's so good.  It is neat that you can slot those achilles heels all over the place but my Rad Assault dom that I tried to turn into a unique ST monster has been sitting there getting jealous of my Energy dom.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mezmera said:

To me though Gravity control is more wasted on doms since those long animating damage attacks are subpar compared to the assault powers offered to you, although it is fun to toss a pool table at someone.  

I agree with this.

I am hopeful for a review of the Control sets one day. If that were to happen, I'd hope to see an update to Propel to make it more appealing for Dominators. Among possible options would be greatly increasing its Recharge, which would allow it to have a much higher base damage and thus increase its DPA (with its current cast time, I'd hope for a Recharge around 16 - 20, on par with heavy hitting Dominator attacks.) Or, it could be turned into a true AoE attack. Dominators don't have any ranged AoE blasts, so that would be a unique capability that lines up with Gravity's intended design, a set that trades control for extra damage.

All of that said, do not let my critiques of Gravity stop you from playing it. The good news about Control sets is the teams that made them poured a lot of love into the designs. Whether or not each set is an optimal performer is secondary to whether it is fun, and I think even the sets I'm not crazy about in terms of performance are still unusual and exciting to play.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mezmera said:

Gravity control is a clunky set to use.  Wormhole in particular, neat power but oh if it only behaved a bit more like Fold Space...

Gravity works well with a powerboosting ability for that stun in Wormhole along with the other controls.  To me though Gravity control is more wasted on doms since those long animating damage attacks are subpar compared to the assault powers offered to you, although it is fun to toss a pool table at someone.  

As far as Radiation Assault I find it to be a meh power set.  The animations are so long and the damage is not nearly as good as you'd find on other power sets like Fire or Energy and the heal is unreliable whereas on Dark it's so good.  It is neat that you can slot those achilles heels all over the place but my Rad Assault dom that I tried to turn into a unique ST monster has been sitting there getting jealous of my Energy dom.  

2 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

I agree with this.

I am hopeful for a review of the Control sets one day. If that were to happen, I'd hope to see an update to Propel to make it more appealing for Dominators. Among possible options would be greatly increasing its Recharge, which would allow it to have a much higher base damage and thus increase its DPA (with its current cast time, I'd hope for a Recharge around 16 - 20, on par with heavy hitting Dominator attacks.) Or, it could be turned into a true AoE attack. Dominators don't have any ranged AoE blasts, so that would be a unique capability that lines up with Gravity's intentions design, a set that trades control for extra damage.

All of that said, do not let my critiques of Gravity stop you from playing it. The good news about Control sets is the teams that made them poured a lot of love into the designs. Whether or not each set is an optimal performer is secondary to whether it is fun, and I think even the sets I'm not crazy about in terms of performance are still unusual and exciting to play.

Yeah at this point in playing the sets it's junk. I prefer Gravity on my trollers. Basically everything both of you said being painfully true.

I hear the axe on the grindstone and I know this toon is ready for the chopping block.

10 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Yeah at this point in playing the sets it's junk. I prefer Gravity on my trollers. Basically everything both of you said being painfully true.

I hear the axe on the grindstone and I know this toon is ready for the chopping block.

Way back when they did the revamps to the Dom assaults I started off with Energy on Gravity since I had oodles of Mind doms here but hadn't made a Grav/Nrg here.  By the time I reached 50 I knew I loved the new Energy Assault and how well it would play on a fluid Mind dom so I made my Mind/Nrg main and have barely touched the Grav dom since.  

Edited by Mezmera

9 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

In complete fairness, the better I get at making builds, the more I think there's a larger issue with the Dominator class and not just specific sets. I still find my Dominators enjoyable, but lately I've been finding it more effective to build Blasters, Defenders, and Corruptors who can get many of the benefits of a Dominator without dealing with Dom headaches. 

A kinda weird thing is that because it's assumed that Controllers and Dominators have strong controls in the primaries, they tend to not get as much control in their secondaries and APPs. Other archetypes can actually have an easier time stacking mezz. I'm definitely not claiming every Blaster is a pocket Dominator, but it's also the case that they can be built to be very control friendly, and don't share the Dom's overeliance on Recharge or difficulty gaining access to sources of healing and recovery, plus have more hit points. 

1 hour ago, Mezmera said:

Way back when they did the revamps to the Dom assaults I started off with Energy on Gravity since I had oodles of Mind doms here but hadn't made a Grav/Nrg here.  By the time I reached 50 I knew I loved the new Energy Assault and how well it would play on a fluid Mind dom so I made my Mind/Nrg main and have barely touched the Grav dom since.  

I have 4 doms on the burner right now, so I'm good and one less dom is not a loss.

1 hour ago, oedipus_tex said:

In complete fairness, the better I get at making builds, the more I think there's a larger issue with the Dominator class and not just specific sets. I still find my Dominators enjoyable, but lately I've been finding it more effective to build Blasters, Defenders, and Corruptors who can get many of the benefits of a Dominator without dealing with Dom headaches. 

A kinda weird thing is that because it's assumed that Controllers and Dominators have strong controls in the primaries, they tend to not get as much control in their secondaries and APPs. Other archetypes can actually have an easier time stacking mezz. I'm definitely not claiming every Blaster is a pocket Dominator, but it's also the case that they can be built to be very control friendly, and don't share the Dom's overeliance on Recharge or difficulty gaining access to sources of healing and recovery, plus have more hit points. 

Blasters i just cannot get into unless its pvp and fenders are ok but I prefer the course.

I fully agree with everything you said about doms, and the reliance to make it overly effective. 

Such as tanks capping on def/res, proc blasters, etc.