City Of Heroes no longer works... causes PC to crash

graeme27uk

No idea why. But now whenever I start up in CoH, it crashes the PC. I get about 2 minutes game time then the PC just freezes and I have to force a restart. It used to work absolutely fine about 2 months ago... but now.... it's dead. 

I haven't changed anything, other games work perfectly fine. 

Any ideas?

You may want to check Windows Update and see if there were any automatic updates or if video drivers have been updated since it last worked properly. If you are using the Homecoming Launcher, click the dots next to start, and click the update selection, there have been patches recently that may not have updated properly which can cause issues.

You can check for connection issues specific to COH, if in game' by running /netgraph1, it will track you connection to the server and show any loss of connection. There is also a crash log in the Launcher that you can forward, with any personal info removed for the sake of privacy, by filing a support ticket. They may be able to help you out. 

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

It's possible you have a thermal issue.

Do you run any other games?  If so, do they behave in a similar fashion?
Also, how old is this machine?

When was the last time the case was cleaned?
When was the last time the thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink was re-applied?

OS?
Chip?  (What is the CPU?)
Memory (How much, and what type?)
Video card? Or is the GPU integrated into the CPU?  Make & Model.
Current driver version of your video card?

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Check for driver updates for your GPU. The other games may also be using different tech to run than what the older games do (OpenGL?).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I always recommend moving to the Homecoming client too and 64 bit if possible.  32 Bit Tequiila over 2019 was awful for me with many crashes some days.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

Yes - please provide some details & specs for your computer.  Perhaps use a program like hardware monitor that can monitor your temperatures and CPU/GPU load.  Make sure your drivers are up to date and close any unnecessary programs as well.  Perhaps try the -usetexenvcombine program switch to launch the game with a simpler renderer.  Cheers!