How much of Paragon City can you get around?

Accidentally got into first person view after a mission in King's Row tonight (after deliberately having a bottle of wine with dinner tonight) and after deciding to stay in first person view it took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to get to the train station.  Did stop for a quick sit down on a bench though.

How much (and which bits) of Paragon City can you navigate in first person view without referring to the Map?

Which zone are you completely lost in and (b) after a bottle of wine?  Mine's King's Row apparently.

• Like 2

I never drink…..wine

I could navigate all the built ip neighborhoods redside walking except Grandville (possible if i knew the elevator system but I never learned it since I take fly.  Redside.  Bestside.  The wilderness areas not so much. All trees look the same

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'll go ahead and say I can navigate every zone across the game. I struggle with mission maps more than anything, especially with multiple floors. 'Reveal' was a godsend when I discovered the power. 

In addition to what you mentored above, I really recommend collecting the Exploration badges in first person - its a really immersive experience getting a tip mission for an Exploration badge and then finding it based on the clues (or the Nav bar if it's a tricky one!).

• Thumbs Up 3

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

3 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

I really recommend collecting the Exploration badges in first person - its a really immersive experience getting a tip mission for an Exploration badge and then finding it based on the clues (or the Nav bar if it's a tricky one!).

I just started doing that!!!  Really great tip.  Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

I assume we are walking or running around the neighborhood. In Primal Earth, I can only navigate Atlas Park and some parts of Kings Row. I gave up at Skyway City. However, I have much better luck at Praetoria. Those cities are well designed; Move around a bit, and I'll know my rough location. 

My problem is that there are not enough landmarks to navigate. They are too far apart, so I always pick up a random direction while hoping that I will stumble upon one of them. Imagine the feeling of running through a concrete jungle, trying to find a landmark. I could use a jetpack to spot it better, but that would defeat the purpose.

By the way, I am now playing Redside and still familiarizing myself with Rogue Isles. So far, I think the Isles fall between Paragon and Praetoria. The low-level Isles are less cluttered, but it is still hard to memorize.

Also, how do you guys do it? How do you familiarize yourself with the city?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, huang3721 said:

Also, how do you guys do it? How do you familiarize yourself with the city?

I have played Redside soooooo many times.  About once a year I take a toon and do every contact every mission Redside.  I played Redside when you could not get a travel power until 14, but I played Brutes and sometimes did not get one until 30+   I have literally walked those streets

• Like 2

I posted a short time ago (days? weeks? I can't tell anymore) about how as an experiment I started playing one my my toons without the mini-map.  Even in missions so I have to remember where I am.  He also only has infiltration as a movement power and no P2W teleports.  I don't play in first person, but the experience was fun.  There was an immediately noticeable increase in my immersion.  It makes me feel more "in" the game rather then just watching it.  I highly recommend it.   I don't think I'd ever play 1st person, though.  I like to see my costumes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Way, way back in time maybe around Issue 4 or 5 a bunch of SG mates and I would play “Marco Polo” in Perez Park.  The rule was first person perspective only, no maps and you couldn’t ‘target’ the player in your friends’ list to find them.  The “Marco” would use broadcast to start and the “Polo’s” would use /Local to answer.  More of a hide and seek I guess but we’d spend hours doing that sometimes. 

I’d get VERY lost in some of those trails through the forest since the scenery never changed much.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I'll go ahead and say I can navigate every zone across the game. I struggle with mission maps more than anything, especially with multiple floors. 'Reveal' was a godsend when I discovered the power. 

In addition to what you mentored above, I really recommend collecting the Exploration badges in first person - its a really immersive experience getting a tip mission for an Exploration badge and then finding it based on the clues (or the Nav bar if it's a tricky one!).

Pretty much same here. I suppose there are some redside locations where I'd have to move around a little before knowing where I am, but I've been playing so long, and focused on soloing/street hunt/exploration badges and just exploring, that I probably know PC/RI better than any city but that of my birth.

Reveal still feels like a cheatsploit to me. Won't use it.

But yeah, badge hunting on those evenings when you just don't feel like beating up bad guys... great way to find all kinds of strange little easter eggy things. Fun.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.10 Technical Guide (27p7)... 158 pages of complete, comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

The forest in Perez or Eden would be a challenge ... especially if entered from an unconventional direction (Skyway side vs AP).  It's been long enough to be seriously rusty.  Kallisti Wharf a definite challenge. I've been there only a couple times since it became an option and that was 2 years ago before my computer died.  Any other zone not much issue though most of Redside and Praetoria are getting a bit distant.  But between badging and being naturally a bit of an explorer (no part of a map should be black!) most maps I wouldn't expect to be an issue to navigate unless I had the Blind condition.

1 hour ago, Doomguide2005 said:

(no part of a map should be black!)

+1 on that!

As I've said before only to get rolly-eyes from the Reveal aficionados, I used to spend idle time 'outlining' every zone, fairly early on as I started getting missions in them and sometimes in way-purple zones, just for fun.

I have traveled well across a big, messy zone to erase a small dot of fog.

I love games that permit—even encourage—this sort of silliness and alt-play.

And fess up, now, all of you who have tried to write your initials or a dirty word in the fog of a big new zone... 😄

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.10 Technical Guide (27p7)... 158 pages of complete, comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

2 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

And fess up, now, all of you who have tried to write your initials or a dirty word in the fog of a big new zone...

The thought never occurred to me, but I now know what I'll be doing on new toons in Paragon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bay said:

The thought never occurred to me, but I now know what I'll be doing on new toons in Paragon.

(What have I done?)

The other thing I love is when my TP alts leave a little... line... of... dots across the fog. Even more fun when you have TP leveled/slotted up for more distance.

14 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

And fess up, now, all of you who have tried to write your initials or a dirty word in the fog of a big new zone... 😄

I might have had some time on my hands

Mario.png.aa84674c289efab980c51208d825dfdc.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, TheZag said:

I might have had some time on my hands

Why am I now singing "Marian" from Men in Tights, but "Mario... Mario..."?

Never mind. Do not answer that.

In a few zones where every area is not identical to every other area, I can get around pretty well.  I have enough general knowledge to know that if I can see a war wall and I'm facing in direction A, I can turn around and head in direction B to head back to the city center...

Blue side, I can pretty much navigate any zone easily except PVP zones, which I almost never go in, and both the Shadow Shard and the old, foggy Dark Astoria, which I've trouble navigating in 3rd person anyway.

Red side I'll have a lot of trouble, and gold side I'll have some trouble.

But I'm one of those poor souls unable to play first-person for long without the curse of extreme nauseous, so it's kind of a moot point with me.

Hmm, I run a Goldsider as a Main.  She's been 50 for a while now, so I *know* Praetoria.  To the point of annoying my RL Discord gang by giving directions as if it were a real world place.  "Yeah, that's down near Luna Palisades, just go round the corner, you can't miss it."  Rogue Isles?  I'd manage but I'd still get lost after a while, especially Grandville.  There's that bit near Recluse's tower, where you can find yourself UNDER the street, and I was baffled as to how I got there.  And eventually I ended up in The Web.  I did find the old Dev area though.  I'm a bit better with Paragon, and as for the Shadow Shard?  Not a hope.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Based on Live, I'm pretty sure I can get round the Rogue Isles without much of a map, finding the trainers and so on.  I know some Blue, like Croatia very well.  But much more of Blue is samey enough as to leave me confused, or just uninterested.  Conversely, that means I can still have new stuff to see, like yesterday when I was bore din the early morning hours so I spent some time flyign through Terra Volta to see if any of the badges in there would be good for my new electricity-based toon.  I think previously I've only been in there like six times.  I did some Gold side back in the day, but I have little to no interest to go back, although the map itself looked great.  I've run over there completing some Valentines Day missions and remembered a little of it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝