Rage changes?

9 hours ago, Stormwalker said:

Speaking as a new player, I would say that once one actually has a 50, inf should typically cease to be a problem pretty quickly.

Someone who plays lots of characters simultaneously (like me) while leveling instead of pushing one to 50 quickly could potentially have influence issues on multiple characters.

Well, I should qualify that.  I'm not having any problems with any of my characters having enough inf to kit out with basic (non-set) IO's and I even have a Steadfast Protection res/def 3% on my Claw/SR scrapper at level 33.  But I'm not going to be kitting out in full set IO's anytime soon on the inf I can generate while leveling up.

It's entirely possible to make the influence cap on a toon that is lvl 1 without ever getting any xp at all while sitting in Wentworth's without any outside assistance.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arcane said:

The amount they were arguing over… 16 mil? Doesn’t Yomo give that out for free?

I think literally everyone who responded to a Yomo thread a few months ago was awarded half a bil.

So what percentage of people actively participating on the forums know that?

From time to time while playing the game I run into someone and the conversation turns to builds. At that point I tend to ask if the person is on the forums. Of all the times I have asked, I have only ever -=*ONCE*=- had someone respond they use the forums. And I know the friends I had who came to the game when Homecoming opened to the public never used the forums beyond the necessity of registering so they could get and account and get into the game.

So somebody offering something in a thread? Not something a lot of people are going to know about.

1 hour ago, SeraphimKensai said:

It's entirely possible to make the influence cap on a toon that is lvl 1 without ever getting any xp at all while sitting in Wentworth's without any outside assistance.

Sure it is, but that's time invested that could be better spent actually, y'know... arresting some criminals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  I'm making enough inf to get by (and in the interest of full disclosure, since my previous post, someone gifted me with some starting capital, which was very kind of them, so I was able to get the most critical pieces of my build squared away).  All I'm saying is that one shouldn't pretend that for someone who is new to Homecoming that earning influence is trivial.  You either have to spend time playing the market and earning inf when you could be leveling up, or you have to earn that inf while you level up... at which point you'll definitely earn enough to get by (assuming you're doing story arcs or TF's, at least), but you won't be funding any exotic builds out of it.

38 minutes ago, Stormwalker said:

Sure it is, but that's time invested that could be better spent actually, y'know... arresting some criminals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  I'm making enough inf to get by (and in the interest of full disclosure, since my previous post, someone gifted me with some starting capital, which was very kind of them, so I was able to get the most critical pieces of my build squared away).  All I'm saying is that one shouldn't pretend that for someone who is new to Homecoming that earning influence is trivial.  You either have to spend time playing the market and earning inf when you could be leveling up, or you have to earn that inf while you level up... at which point you'll definitely earn enough to get by (assuming you're doing story arcs or TF's, at least), but you won't be funding any exotic builds out of it.

This is accurate. The opportunity cost has already been sunk by players who know how to achieve this market return rate. The assumption is that as players level up, they gain more understanding of the in game currency and how to earn it in the most optimal way. Thus once the opportunity cost is paid, (via time spent finding the most efficient way to make inf) it becomes trivial. But from a new player perspective who hasn't spent anything on that aforementioned opportunity cost, then absolutely, what you are saying is accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

From time to time while playing the game I run into someone and the conversation turns to builds. At that point I tend to ask if the person is on the forums. Of all the times I have asked, I have only ever -=*ONCE*=- had someone respond they use the forums. And I know the friends I had who came to the game when Homecoming opened to the public never used the forums beyond the necessity of registering so they could get and account and get into the game.

So somebody offering something in a thread? Not something a lot of people are going to know about.

I know it's already belabored at this point, but I would still like to add that it's not just in this thread - Yomo has the 'Free Inf Giveaway' in their signature (for those viewing the forums on desktop) and Yomo is also a prolific poster in the Market sub forum. Actually, Yomo posts in a ton of places on this forum. I utilized this charity myself and it's all very above board and helpful to say the least. And on top of this, I've told players (new and contemporary) in game of this giveaway if they are in need of some start up capital or something. Seems to be a good deal of gratitude from this. 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 3

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Ok. Let's scrap that. Back to the other dozens of suggestions for making money in this thread. Pick one of those. Problem solved. 🙂 

4 minutes ago, Stormwalker said:

All I'm saying is that one shouldn't pretend that for someone who is new to Homecoming that earning influence is trivial.  You either have to spend time playing the market and earning inf when you could be leveling up, or you have to earn that inf while you level up... at which point you'll definitely earn enough to get by (assuming you're doing story arcs or TF's, at least), but you won't be funding any exotic builds out of it.

It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to use merits to purchase converters, use converters to turn crap IOs into IOs I could use or sell, and kit out my first build before it was out of the teens.  I did that with no gifts, no costume contest prizes, no friends, nothing but the inf* I'd already earned by that point.  Another 10-15 minutes every few levels (solo, +0/x1, no XP boosters, no Experienced) paid for every IO I wanted for my "dream build", including purples and ATOs at 50.  I didn't even know there were guides detailing various wealth generation methods until afterward.  I never used a single merit on the original servers, I left before attunement or converters were added, and I still had it nailed down in 15 minutes, with no assistance.

I did that with the next six or seven characters I leveled to 50.  No alt funding, no hand-me-downs, just the costumes on their backs and whatever they earned along the way.

Merit vendors are everywhere.  Absolutely everywhere.  Two in many zones, a human model and an ATM model.  Click the vendor, click Salvage, scroll down to Converters, click Buy, 30 converters in hand, ready to be used or sold, quickly and painlessly.  It takes less than a minute to reach a crafting station, regardless of which side you play on or which zone you're in.  It takes one second to open the Recipes window and see what's highlighted, and another second to craft what's highlighted.  Three or four seconds to open the Convert window, drag an enhancement into it, select the type of conversion and click Convert.  If the player doesn't know that the /ah command exists, it's another minute to run to the nearest market and click on a rep.  Drag, type in a sale price, click, five seconds and done.  A few minutes spent just crafting what's in your inventory, clicking Convert a few times and selling the results, and bam, you're rolling around naked on a bed covered with money.

It is trivial.  It's not hard to figure it out and it's not a massive time sink.  It doesn't even require an obsession with the market or deep knowledge of the game.  Any new player can do this with a minimal interest in the game.  Oh, look at the maroon and yellow person standing over there, I'll click on that dude/chick.  Oh, look, it's a vendor where I can spend these merit thingies.  Oh, look there's something that says "Convert" on my Enhancement tray.  Oh, look, the vendor sells something called Converters, I wonder if they're related to the Convert thing.  Oh, look, they are.  Oh, look, the Convert window has a round slot like an enhancement slot, I'll put this enhancement that I crafted into it.  Oh, look, there's a menu at the top.  Oh, look, the Convert button is highlighted.  Oh, look, I turned a piece of garbage into something I really wanted, or can sell to someone else so I can buy what I wanted.  Oh, look, I'm filthy rich now.

You don't need an IQ over 140 to make inf*.  The game all but walks up and hands it to anyone who shows even the slightest interest in acquiring it.  They may not acquire it as quickly or efficiently as a marketeer or farmer, but they'll get what they need if they're even remotely invested in the game.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

This is accurate. The opportunity cost has already been sunk by players who know how to achieve this market return rate. The assumption is that as players level up, they gain more understanding of the in game currency and how to earn it in the most optimal way. Thus once the opportunity cost is paid, (via time spent finding the most efficient way to make inf) it becomes trivial. But from a new player perspective who hasn't spent anything on that aforementioned opportunity cost, then absolutely, what you are saying is accurate.

Yep.  And as I said, I'm not complaining.  I have no problem with the system the way it is.  But when I see someone say that anyone, regardless of playstyle or experience, shouldn't have problems with influence, I feel compelled to speak up and point out that isn't quite true.

Most players won't have trouble with influence.  New players are likely to have some trouble with influence unless they are the sort that enjoys playing the market.  But learning to manage your influence is part of the game, so that's OK.  The only reason I speak up about it at all is that for a new player to see people say that "anyone should be able to have X and Y" can be a little demoralizing for new players who don't have that kind of resources yet, and make them feel like they're bad at the game when the reality is that they just still have a lot to learn and shouldn't expect to be wealthy right off the bat.

It's not so much a problem for me since I'm a veteran of the original CoH and honestly, compared to original CoH, influence on HC is easier to come by... but someone who didn't play CoH before wouldn't instinctively understand that.

32 minutes ago, Snarky said:

You schmucks have seriously threadjacked my griping about the Devs wimping out and yanking the Rage fix because SOMEBODY whined like a baby about taking their binky away...

Pot meet kettle

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Snarky said:

You schmucks have seriously threadjacked my griping about the Devs wimping out and yanking the Rage fix because SOMEBODY whined like a baby about taking their binky away...

Just be sure this does not cause you to rage since afterwards you will be useless during your crash.

• Haha 1

Just be sure this does not cause you to rage since afterwards you will be useless during your crash.

This is the part that has never made sense to me. My rage has been a zero end cost toggle for a couple decades.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 11:43 AM, Stormwalker said:

I certainly won't be slotting 4 Performance Shifters in Stamina yet, though I'm hoping to get one soon as I am definitely having some end issues on that character (SR toggles + combat jumping + tough + weave is kind of hard on end)..  Nothing I can't manage, but sometimes I get too scrapper-locked and forget to manage it and dropping one's toggles is never fun.  I got spoiled on Live by never having to rest, and I'm having to recalibrate my expectations due to not being rich yet.

Not to mention needing some LotG +recharges to really make Claws work properly (though, even without them, my Claws/SR kills arrests much faster than my KM/WP does!)

The proc and the basic End Mod for Performance Shifter is likely enough. I can't imagine needing LotG +Recharge to make Claws function properly on a /sr.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 5/12/2022 at 6:06 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

My rage has been a zero end cost toggle for a couple decades.

Huh.  Need to learn that trick.  My rage has been an Auto for more than 40 years, but there has always been a cost for it. One way or another.

• Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

• 2 weeks later
On 5/12/2022 at 11:54 AM, Snarky said:

What was the Rage fix?

Are they still working on it?

It's the most annoying thing.  A gaping amount of time (in combat bullet time...) waiting...waiting for the Rage drop to go away.

I look at what they did for Energy Melee and think SS needs a bit of work.  I find the Tiers 1-3 a bit modest in damage.  The Rage drop really stands out as a 'show stopper' just as you're 'getting into it.'

Another thing.  Hand Clap.  Many don't take it.  I do.  It could do with some moderate damage in it to stack with Footstomp.  Yeah.  I think SS could do with a decent pass over the whole set.  Maybe stick in a double hit mechanism for some truly KO performance.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/11/2022 at 3:59 AM, Erratic1 said:

Now you're assuming the amount of time they spend on their higher level characters and how much of what that character generates is spare to spend on other characters.

I think the key for beginners.  Get a L50 as soon as  you can.  Play the L50 alot.  This will fund your next alt.  (Some get a L50.  Don't play it.  Roll another alt.  And start rolling that boulder up the hill by stating with nothing for their next alt and wonder why they're always broke.)

A couple of weeks of osmosis playing Council maps on +3 or 4x8 (or whatever your cup of java is...) and a couple of hundred million influence will happy soon enough.  Ordinary IOs drop readily.  10 of those?  1 million.  Sell at Vendors.  Plus other 'orange' salvage drops.  Plus Converters, Cats (usually one drops a day on your L50.)  It all adds up.

And that's without playing the market.  Crafting yellow Enhancement 'junk' is quite cheap and you can pick up 250k, 500k, 1 million, 2 million for each recipe (rather than selling it for '1' as I used to do selling it for peanuts rather than maximising it's value with a modest bit of time investment.)

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael