Rage changes?

On 5/11/2022 at 4:19 AM, Snarky said:

It takes a little work to generate a few hundred million in game.  It is very predictable.  Farm or craft.  Or my version  farm for a couple hours and craft ALL recipes convert and sell

Sage advice.

Azrael.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 4:40 AM, Luminara said:

It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to use merits to purchase converters, use converters to turn crap IOs into IOs I could use or sell, and kit out my first build before it was out of the teens.  I did that with no gifts, no costume contest prizes, no friends, nothing but the inf* I'd already earned by that point.  Another 10-15 minutes every few levels (solo, +0/x1, no XP boosters, no Experienced) paid for every IO I wanted for my "dream build", including purples and ATOs at 50.  I didn't even know there were guides detailing various wealth generation methods until afterward.  I never used a single merit on the original servers, I left before attunement or converters were added, and I still had it nailed down in 15 minutes, with no assistance.

I did that with the next six or seven characters I leveled to 50.  No alt funding, no hand-me-downs, just the costumes on their backs and whatever they earned along the way.

Merit vendors are everywhere.  Absolutely everywhere.  Two in many zones, a human model and an ATM model.  Click the vendor, click Salvage, scroll down to Converters, click Buy, 30 converters in hand, ready to be used or sold, quickly and painlessly.  It takes less than a minute to reach a crafting station, regardless of which side you play on or which zone you're in.  It takes one second to open the Recipes window and see what's highlighted, and another second to craft what's highlighted.  Three or four seconds to open the Convert window, drag an enhancement into it, select the type of conversion and click Convert.  If the player doesn't know that the /ah command exists, it's another minute to run to the nearest market and click on a rep.  Drag, type in a sale price, click, five seconds and done.  A few minutes spent just crafting what's in your inventory, clicking Convert a few times and selling the results, and bam, you're rolling around naked on a bed covered with money.

It is trivial.  It's not hard to figure it out and it's not a massive time sink.  It doesn't even require an obsession with the market or deep knowledge of the game.  Any new player can do this with a minimal interest in the game.  Oh, look at the maroon and yellow person standing over there, I'll click on that dude/chick.  Oh, look, it's a vendor where I can spend these merit thingies.  Oh, look there's something that says "Convert" on my Enhancement tray.  Oh, look, the vendor sells something called Converters, I wonder if they're related to the Convert thing.  Oh, look, they are.  Oh, look, the Convert window has a round slot like an enhancement slot, I'll put this enhancement that I crafted into it.  Oh, look, there's a menu at the top.  Oh, look, the Convert button is highlighted.  Oh, look, I turned a piece of garbage into something I really wanted, or can sell to someone else so I can buy what I wanted.  Oh, look, I'm filthy rich now.

You don't need an IQ over 140 to make inf*.  The game all but walks up and hands it to anyone who shows even the slightest interest in acquiring it.  They may not acquire it as quickly or efficiently as a marketeer or farmer, but they'll get what they need if they're even remotely invested in the game.

Some good advice here.

And it's true.  From a 'certain point of view.'  The game 'all but' hands it to you IF it's 'obvious' to you.

It wasn't obvious to me at all.  Until the penny dropped.

But then, email seemed like rocket science (everybody else was doing that when I wasn't...) until I'd done a handful of them myself...

Azrael.

• Thumbs Up 1

I recently made an SS/Fire Brute, and had so much fun with it, I made a second one, just a bit differently. I never even notice the rage crash. I don't see why it's such a big deal. It's 10 seconds, and I'm usually done with one mob headed to another while it's crashing. And if I notice it, I just slam judgement or foot stomp or burn. Rage only partially impacts them because they're procced. Then I fold space the new mob into position and rage crash is over. It's really a trivial issue. Would I prefer to not have a rage crash? Sure. But I'd rather have my fiery armor characters have status protection from KB more, and stronger mez resistance. 

When I do the first mission of moonfire at 0/8, a few times during the map, my fire brutes will get mezzed. My electric and shield brute - never get mezzed. But then, it takes them about 50% longer to clear the map, too. 

I've taken Rage out of my attack tray completely.  Fed up of the 'trivial' Epoch of time the crash takes to 'crash.' 

-9000-ish damage for ten seconds, my defence completely collapsing and half an end bar going AWOL is something I tend to notice.  I'm a tank, at the centre of a mob that's try to wreck me and all of a sudden I have the chill wind of finding my combat trousers around my ankles... 

It bothered me less on live.  But after the recent changes to Energy Melee and Stone Tanker?  You can't 'unsee' how yawning Rage Crash is.  Punitive.  Very 'old school.'

There are work arounds.  You can take Cardiac alpha to soften it's impact.  You can proc certain attacks to side bend around it.  eg. Hand Clap with a Dam' Proc.  Use a prestige power eg. Sands of Mu.  You can use your Judgement power etc, etc.  You can even taunt and move onto the next mob.

eg. On my Fire/SS Tank, I procced the hell out of KO Punch.  Floating numbers booming as you hit a mob into the next dimension.  You can give an old set like SS a real lift by doing this.  I opted for the Stone Epic set for extra AoE melee carnage.

SS.  Is a quintessential CoH attack set.  If it's gone 'quiet' on the Rage issue, I suspect the developers have a more substantial update in the works.  It's 'old.'  It needs some love.

And given how fantastic the Energy and Stone updates were, I can't wait to see what they come up with for SS.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael