Jack Emmert is Now Leading a New NetEase Studio, and Not the Marvel MMOG

Apparition

Six years ago, Jack Emmert took over Dimensional Ink Games, which operates DC Universe Online and is developing the upcoming Marvel MMOG.  However, now he is leading a new American studio for NetEase (a Chinese video games publisher).  The name of the new studio?  Jackalope Games.

From Massively OP:

“NetEase Games, the online games division of NetEase, Inc. (NASDAQ: NTES, HKEX: 9999) announced today its first U.S. studio, Jackalope Games, based in Austin, Texas. Jackalope Games will be creating new and exciting PC and console games as a first party studio of NetEase Games. Jackalope Games is led by industry veteran Jack Emmert, whose credits include City of Heroes, Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, and DC Universe Online. Jack has worked on games based on some of the biggest media franchises in history and brings decades of MMORPG experience to this studio. […] Jackalope Games is NetEase Games’ first first-party studio in the U.S., but it will operate independently and maintain creative autonomy in its game development and publishing. The first project produced by Jackalope Games is being fully funded by NetEase Games.”

His next game will probably be a MMOG, considering that's his forte.  But at least he won't be involved with the upcoming Marvel MMOG any longer, assuming that it's still being made.

On 5/22/2022 at 4:52 AM, TheOtherTed said:

I never felt the "Jack hate," but I also can't recall him helping to actually create anything other than this game.  Good luck to him, whatever he does and wherever he goes.

Champions Online and Star Trek Online, if I recall correctly.  Before CoH he was a tabletop RPG writer.

5 hours ago, merrypessimist said:

Champions Online and Star Trek Online, if I recall correctly.  Before CoH he was a tabletop RPG writer.

Never got the impression that he did much more than "back-seat driving" for CO and STO, but I could be wrong.  In particular, I remember that some guy nicknamed Zinc was the point-person for STO.  And that he had a goat.

1 hour ago, TheOtherTed said:

Never got the impression that he did much more than "back-seat driving" for CO and STO, but I could be wrong.  In particular, I remember that some guy nicknamed Zinc was the point-person for STO.  And that he had a goat.

Craig Zinkievich (Zinc on the forums) was the executive producer for STO from start until about 6 months after launch. He was then replaced by Daniel Stahl (dstahl).

Jack Emmert (Jackalope) really wasn't involved in the creation of Star Trek Online. After launch he wrote a couple of posts on the STO forums about trying to get the executive producer to add more KDF content. So he clearly wasn't directly involved in the development either.

At that point he was listed as the Chief Creative Officer for Cryptic Studios. WTF that is.

I understand the hate that a lot of people have for Jack. After all, he lied to a lot of CoH customers about a lot of things. A lot of people don't like being lied to, especially by people they're paying money to.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

At EG7, Daybreak announced they are discontinuing development on the Marvel MMO.

This is the second Marvel MMO they've canceled. The speculation is whether Jack quit so they canceled the MMO or if they canceled the MMO so Jack quit.

Either way, I'm certain that whatever Jack does at Jackalope Games will be mediocre and controversial.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Just now, PeregrineFalcon said:

At EG7, Daybreak announced they are discontinuing development on the Marvel MMO.

This is the second Marvel MMO they've canceled. The speculation is whether Jack quit so they canceled the MMO or if they canceled the MMO so Jack quit.

Either way, I'm certain that whatever Jack does at Jackalope Games will be mediocre and controversial.

I, for one, am glad that the Marvel MMOG in development was canceled.  It looks dreadful from the leaked screenshots.

• Like 1