Idea for Blaster powers

Looking through the Blaster powers the other day I did got a couple of ideas and I figured I could run them by here. I want to apologize in advance if they are dumb, were already suggested or if it sounds silly x.x

First one I wanted to suggest was maybe a variant of Martial Assault that Dominators have for Blasters? I mean the idea of throwing weapons paired up with sets we already have on Blaster sound, well, kind of fun, and the animations are technically already there :0

Second one might seem a bit weird and it was most likely shot down, but, maybe water manipulation as a secondary set? I mean we already have blast but when it comes to pairing maybe it's something it wouldn't hurt to have? 

I dunno, it was just a couple of dumb ideas but, figured they would be fun to share 😄

• Thumbs Up 6

13 minutes ago, SiggyAqua said:

the idea of throwing weapons paired up with sets we already have on Blaster sound, well, kind of fun

I would love to see some sort of "thrown weapons" set.  Keep it generic - perhaps only showing your character holding the implement, but have the actual animation be kind of a blur, so you can RP shuriken, knives, darts, etc.

13 minutes ago, SiggyAqua said:

water manipulation as a secondary set

I could see this - maybe co-opt some of the kinetic melee animations since they're kind of "flowy". You could modify water burst, whirlpool, and geyser into appropriate secondary powers as well.

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My /Martial Dom already plays all ranged (Trick/Exploding/Masterful + Fire Mastery), so that much seems very reasonable. The /Water would take new assets. I think Water Control would be a more logical place to start, but, sure, have at it.

For a throwing weapons set, I think you would port the 5 ranged powers from Martial Assault immediately. And I've read Envenomed Blades is broken, so that would need to be fixed. I think it would look like this:

1 - Shuriken Throw

2 - [Moderate Damage T2 Blast - Maybe a burst of 3-4 shurikens?]

3 - [Shuriken Cone Type Thingy - Thinking about the hand motion of DB Sweeping Strike but unleashing a wave of throwing weapons]

4 - Envenomed Blades

5 - Trick Shot

6 - Exploding Shuriken (does do minor AoE but clearly intended to be more of the heavy hitter type power than TAoE)

7 - Masterful Throw

8 - [Probably a mostly-useless mez power or something - don't think you'd get a strong TAoE on top of having the Chain AoE and Cone and small explosions. Maybe a crippling strike or poison tipped attack or something.]

9 - [Shuriken Nuke Type Thingy]

Like the idea of making the power names generic so that knives or darts could be thrown too.

Edited by arcane

4 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Replace the shuriken with boomerangs and then change the cone attack to a chain attack.

I would rather the actual attack projectile be kept ambiguous, with the actual weapon model only appearing in your character's hands as they go through the throwing animation.  Having an attack that ricochets would be cool, though...

1 hour ago, biostem said:

I would rather the actual attack projectile be kept ambiguous, with the actual weapon model only appearing in your character's hands as they go through the throwing animation.  Having an attack that ricochets would be cool, though...

Yeah... I'm only changing it to boomerang for the mechanic. I don't honestly care what thrown weapon uses the mechanic. I can throw a blunted shuriken. It can be video game magic and chains from foe to foe. Don't care. Was just giving a logical example.

Edit: I can also just head canon it to boomerang if need be. Again, just want the mechanic used.

Edited by Rudra

13 hours ago, SiggyAqua said:

First one I wanted to suggest was maybe a variant of Martial Assault that Dominators have for Blasters? I mean the idea of throwing weapons paired up with sets we already have on Blaster sound, well, kind of fun, and the animations are technically already there :0

This has been suggested several times

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

13 hours ago, arcane said:

9 - [Shuriken Nuke Type Thingy]

If it were a PBAoE, you could call it something like 'Whirlwind Throw', where you hurl your blades/shaken/whatever in all directions around you, using the DP animation for Hail of Bullets.

• Thumbs Up 1

That could be fun to watch. Maybe double the animation speed since the throw would be part of the move rather than needing to pull a trigger and have it repeat the animation once?

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add question.

17 hours ago, SiggyAqua said:

water manipulation as a secondary set?

I'm sure it would take a lot of work, but given that Water blast is so good looking and satisfying to use, I support any addition of water melee, water control, water manipulation, or even water armor that the Devs chose to tackle. Your ideas are good, and you should feel good about them 👍

4 hours ago, srmalloy said:

If it were a PBAoE, you could call it something like 'Whirlwind Throw', where you hurl your blades/shaken/whatever in all directions around you, using the DP animation for Hail of Bullets.

I figured it would either be like a PBAoE Hail of Bullets type thing (preferably a slightly cooler looking dance than Dual Pistols gun-fu though) or a Rain of Arrows type thing.

Edited by arcane

4 hours ago, arcane said:

I figured it would either be like a PBAoE Hail of Bullets type thing (preferably a slightly cooler looking dance than Dual Pistols gun-fu though) or a Rain of Arrows type thing.

the Rain of Arrows animation doesn't really work for thrown weapons, though.

14 hours ago, srmalloy said:

the Rain of Arrows animation doesn't really work for thrown weapons, though.

Unless the weapons are guided / magically controlled so they could go up then down, no. I guess you wouldn’t want to lock someone into a concept like that on an otherwise natural-origin-friendly set.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:50 PM, biostem said:

A boomerang is a great suggestion and I think various weapon types would be ideal instead of just one.  Throwing different things like shuriken, knives, darts, boomerangs, explosives (grenades/vials/dynamite)--all in the same set--provides more character concepts and options.  Otherwise, if it's just shuriken, you're pretty pigeon-holed into a ninja.  Different weapon types also just make the set more exciting to play.  And yes, of course, no weapon appears in the hand until you click the button to cast it so it makes it easier to have and throw different weapon types.

I would love to see a chained/roped kama that is used similarly like a rope dart where you use various swinging attacks to wrap it around you until you finally spin and unleash the full force and length of it.  There are various animations in game that could be used - the staff spinning strike comes to mind where spin on the ground like a break dancer.  It could a one off power, but concept would also maker a good combo builder where you do a couple single target spin moves to build up to a massive PBAOE strike and/or nuke-level ability.  Then throw a boomerang that chain hits some foes, throw some shuriken in a cone, toss a stick of dynamite, and then finish the boss with a heavy bowie knife "executioner shot" type throw.  

....that would be fun as heck!!  😄

• Like 1

Yeah, adding in a kusarigama would be great, but it would run up against the same problems as whip. There is a reason why the promised whip set morphed into the demon summoning set and the whip is a projectile firing weapon.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Yeah, adding in a kusarigama would be great, but it would run up against the same problems as whip.

If all you're going to do is throw it, then you could use something akin to the taser wires that trail behind that.  If you wanted to swing it around, then that's another matter...

• Like 1

The kama was not thrown in a kusarigama. It was typically held in hand and used to finish off the target you caught with the attached chain. That said, this is a video game and I have no clue how it would be implemented. So if the devs decide to give us kusarigama? That would be welcome.

21 hours ago, biostem said:

If all you're going to do is throw it, then you could use something akin to the taser wires that trail behind that.  If you wanted to swing it around, then that's another matter...

With a kusarigama, the weight at the end of the chain was thrown to wrap around a limb of the target, allowing them to be pulled to the kusarigama wielder, who would then use the kama blade on them. We don't have any existing animation that could be stolen for this, and I don't think the HC staff have the tools to produce completely new animations, particularly one that stumped the PS staff.

• Thumbs Up 1