Powersets that are just dandy...

Street Justice, Rad Armor, Electric Armor, Time, (both versions) Cold Domination, Stalker Ice Melee, Stalker Staff Melee, not sure about much else, but if we are listing things that are fine and should be considered the standard.. 

If I was a YouTuber making magazine-style content I'd go into a really excited voice and do a couple of videos with titles and lists like these. 🙂

Eleven Powersets You Can't Go Wrong With

New to the game and not sure where to start? I couldn't limit it to just ten! Here are eleven powersets that are sure to deliver on almost any archetype, in almost any combination, even if you have no idea what an IO is or have a very limited understanding of the game's mechanics.  

• Fire Blast
  • Ice Blast
  • Water Blast
  • Plant Control
  • Bio Armor
  • Radiation Armor
  • Time Manipulation
  • Dark Miasma/Affinity
  • Claws
  • Atomic Manipulation
  • Tactical Arrow

Ten Totally Weird Powersets Worth Checking Out

Want to try something truly strange? These powersets may not always be the most powerful or strongest meta--some of them probably deserve some love from the developers. But it can be a lot of fun dispatching enemies in unusual ways.

• Dark Blast
  • Ice Control
  • Electric Control
  • Gravity Control
  • Storm Summoning
  • Poison
  • (Homecoming's Revised) Trick Arrow
  • Savage Assault
  • Ice Melee
  • (Blaster) Martial Combat

Ten Powersets The Pros Love That May Make You Want to Take a Deeper Dive Into Mechanics

These powersets are perfectly playable on their own, but with some knowledge of how IOs and set bonuses work along with an understanding of the game's core mechanics and the scenarios where they shine the brightest, you can turn them into complete monsters. 

• Beam Rifle
  • Dual Pistols
  • Cold Domination
  • Kinetics
  • Psionic Assault
  • Illusion Control
  • Dark Armor
  • Shield Defense
  • Spines
  • (Homecoming's revised) Energy Melee

Ten Powersets that Many Players Sleep On

Looking for something effective but a bit unusual? Here are ten powersets with excellent potential that many players overlook.

• Earth Control
  • Thermal Radiation
  • Nature Affinity 
  • Traps
  • Electric Affinity
  • Super Reflexes
  • Energy Armor
  • Electric Armor
  • Energy Manipulation
  • Dark Assault

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 10:37 AM, arcane said:

Wormhole is a LOT fancier than just “a set’s standard AoE mez”. I’d say the stun is little more than a secondary effect.

Zero reason for the cast time.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 5/15/2022 at 11:29 PM, Latex said:

Energy Melee, go all out and play into it's niche of Single Target damage by making an Energy Melee Stalker, at high levels of recharge I rotate Total Focus, Energy Transfer and Assassin's Strike and every one of those usually hits anywhere from 800 - 2000+, depending on a lot of factors of course.

My Energy Melee/Shield Stalker is the first Stalker I've had that excites me to play. It is non-stop, "Let's see who should be defeated...how about you...then you...then you!"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

My Energy Melee/Shield Stalker is the first Stalker I've had that excites me to play. It is non-stop, "Let's see who should be defeated...how about you...then you...then you!"

I'd of totally went EM/Shield, I imagine the extra AOE and +DMG is nice. I just /love/ Bio Armors absorbs, can make a stalker have almost as much HP as a HP capped Tanker (3500-ish). Being able to switch to Defensive Mode for Master of X runs is very helpful too.

But indeed, EM Stalker is where the damage is from my experience, not seen anything that pops as big a number as my main character. I swear I see a lot more crits than a Scrapper too, honestly think a lot of people sleep on Stalker!

4 minutes ago, Latex said:

I'd of totally went EM/Shield, I imagine the extra AOE and +DMG is nice. I just /love/ Bio Armors absorbs, can make a stalker have almost as much HP as a HP capped Tanker (3500-ish). Being able to switch to Defensive Mode for Master of X runs is very helpful too.

Bio is a perfectly wonderful set. But having an SS/Bio Brute already, I was not wanting to go over ground I had already covered.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/16/2022 at 12:04 AM, Apparition said:

Dual Pistols is a very good power set and just fine as is.

Fight me.

It urgently needs a "less incessant twirling" option.

• Thumbs Up 2
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Also a big fan of Street Justice. It's the only set I've gotten to 50 since coming back to CoH.

The AoE is a little meh on it, but it has great single target damage and some of the most bone-crunchingly satisfying sound design and animations, period.

On 5/16/2022 at 6:34 PM, DougGraves said:

Dark Miasma is so good on defenders I just play them instead of controllers and get the benefits of a control set, a support set, and an attack set.

Same, actually a little frustrating to try and play certain powers and think "I could be doing this and more on my dark defender."

• Like 1

@Fearsome Fig - Torchbearer