Has anyone played first person only?

houtex

As per my usual, thinking of weird things to do in CoH/V/GR... this showerthought occurred.  Can one play first person only in this thing?  What would that be like?  Would it be good, or horrible?  Torturous? Insane?

But it's me.  Guess what I'm doin', and that right soon. XD

Thing is... a Scrapper/Tanker/Brute/Stalker would be impossibly 'busy' on the screen, what with having to be right up in people's faces to do anything, so.. probably not one of those?

Teaming would be... interesting.  I'm sure it'll be fine... >.>

Thinking a ranged character might make sense for this.  Still gonna have bad guys in mah face here and there, but that's just life in the first  person lane.  Probably need a crowd control, so maybe a dominator or controller, perhaps a defender or maybe one of the others...

Just thinkin'.  As usual.  Thoughts/suggestions are always appreciated, even if it's to confirm my insanity. 🙂

I've tried it from time to time, just for giggles. The UI — maybe the trendoid 'UX' is more accurate — is simply not set up for first person.

The entire view system seems to be optimal with your entire alt just completely in view, down to the ground, and many situations are better managed from further back. FP gets... weird.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

In order:

Apparently, if this and Brawling Humiliator are any proof.

Yes, it does appear that way and yet... strangely enough... I've got it working pretty good actually.  More on that later.

*I* did not make a costume.  More on that too:

---

Ok, four DFB runs and a little street sweepin' in Kings Row later...  It... works?  Pretty good?  For me, anyway, there's caveats to be sure...

So what I did is I rolled a Sentinel.  A rifle/ninjitsu one.  Why not.  The Arrows were the faster, but I didn't wanna do that, so I chose rifle.  Reason being I wanted as minimal effects going on, which I've notice in, say, my mind controllers/dominator you can see the effects as they use their powers.  I also turned the FX down to minimum in the Ninjistu.  So I see all around me in front, but nothing of me.  Very good.

I then 'made' the costume, except I didn't.  I held my left hand over my face as I hit the 'random' button a whole bunch, stopped when an overly obnoxious aura like that plant one didn't show up, hit next, did the above fx reduction, hit next, send it to outbreak.

Still covering my eyes from seeing my monstrosity I'm sure it is, I zoomed in to first person and left it there.  Then adjusted everything as I do, and I then went in and played around with the keys/mouse settings to ensure I didn't hit 'B' to switch from FP and back or anything like that.   Once satisfied I... started doing the thing, Zhu Li. I went through the tutorial, rescued Mirror Spirit, didn't bother with the isolator badge for this one, got into AP, immediately went into DFB teaming. 

And then... I heard it.  "You have pink roaches."  

Well, ain't that special.  Since we all know the rando does pretty much all the same two colors, that can mean only one thing.  I have a pink overall coloration.  Which is fine, just not my first choice for a color.  I bet it's bright hot pink too.  Dunno, ain't seen it.

...until I accidentally zoomed out, and then I know not only was I pink, but I had a medieval helm on.  So there's that.  Dangit.  I quickly zoomed back in, and that's literally all I know about my character's look.  I'm thinkin' he's gonna easily win some costume contest, eh?  😛

---

So that'll be fun.  As to the gameplay, it really does work.  Because I used a range character, not a scrapper or such.  For the most part, I just stay away, back up, whatever to keep them in the view.  If they sneak up behind me, well, my days of playing Quake or L4D and such have paid off, I spin about and get 'em, as I back away from 'em.

There is a caveat and that's the blind sides out of my view.  Underneath, overhead, sides and back.  Basically everywhere but up front.  Found that out during the Hydra head bit of DFB.  Couldn't see I was in danger and got pitched up in the air.  Fun.  I modified my strategy to not stare at the hideous Hydra and just moved forward constantly, shooting 'from the side' if you will as I circled the Hydra.  Can't hurt me if I'm movin'.  And that worked well, not even the Spawn hit me.  But yeah, markers like that or strafing runs or such that you'd see zoomed out in 3rd person are not gonna be visible, so I'll have to keep that in mind.

I'm sure it's gonna get miserable quick, but for now, level 9... It's actually not as terrible as I thought it'd be! ...so far.  We shall see.  Well, I will anyway. I'm sorta thinkin that he's gonna be miserable because I rolled an awfully thought up character makeup, and not the FP itself.  

So I'll obviously have to work him up to 50 anyway because masochist.  Which we already confirmed earlier. 😄

There ya go.  A new insanity, watch me go crazy and stuff.

Edited by houtex
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Tried it once.  After fighting in a blue cave tunnel, back to the wall and fighters in close quarters in all directions, completely blinded by a dozen or more battle auras, I decided the blind monk approach wasn't for me and switched back to 3rd person view.

Edited by Techwright
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, houtex said:

So what I did is I rolled a Sentinel.

Since I hover blast near the ceiling of any given map, first person actually works better for the field of vision when forced... but I'd always go back to third person given the chance. Good luck with this one but it sounds horrible.

• Developer

For kicks and giggles one time, I loaded the game up in VorpX on my Oculus Rift and played first person in VR.

It was kind of neat, until I got into a mission, remembered I was playing a Scrapper, and phew... Playing melee in first person is not ideal. 😱

• Thumbs Up 1

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

On 5/19/2022 at 3:50 PM, houtex said:

I then 'made' the costume, except I didn't.  I held my left hand over my face as I hit the 'random' button a whole bunch, stopped when an overly obnoxious aura like that plant one didn't show up, hit next, did the above fx reduction, hit next, send it to outbreak.

...until I accidentally zoomed out, and then I know not only was I pink, but I had a medieval helm on.  So there's that.  Dangit.  I quickly zoomed back in, and that's literally all I know about my character's look.  I'm thinkin' he's gonna easily win some costume contest, eh?  😛

Well, obviously the next step is to get the last three costume slots unlocked, and edit every single one to a different random option, so you can keep swapping between 'em and have even less idea what you look like, from moment-to-moment!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pinnacle refugee. Powers and math guy.

I’ve got a corruptor that’s dedicated to playing in first person and I’ve done dfbs and a few TFs I know really well on it. I also don’t use the map on this character so it feels like I’m really in the city.  It’s not easy. 😃

One of the great things though is you really notice the amazing detail the devs put into the city - posters for movies in the cinema etc.  The other great thing is you really appreciate the effort and imagination other players put into their costumes and the full force of the costume designer really hits you. 

I really love your idea of not knowing what you look like. I’m gonna try that next!  

There's only been one time I can remember of a player playing in first person and that's because they were complaining about motion sickness. They had no idea they could go into third person, and when I told them to try that, they stopped feeling sick while playing.

I cannot recall any other time I've ran into a player playing first person, intentionally or otherwise. It just sounds like a really bad way to play considering how the camera works.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

On 5/19/2022 at 1:06 PM, Verfall said:

But you made a pretty costume only to not see it? That would be sad.....😁

I think they hit 'Random' during character creation and that's why they play first person.

😆

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I recall making an AR blaster (think I went with Energy Melee which was good for getting people out of my face) back in antiquity, for purposes of pretending to be Doomguy.

IIRC it wasn't horrible but not fun enough to keep at it. If I did it today I figure I'd go plasma gun with BR and Ninja if I can customize the sword as a chainsaw.

I actually have been playing my latest Character with the Camera Lock disengaged, so he can turn freely in the camera view unless I assume control, It is kind of interesting to see some of the attacks from the front and side at times instead of only the over the shoulder view. It also removes the hard background swings as the Camera would normally follow his turns from behind but he now simply turns in frame, I kinda like seeing more different angles of the action.

• Thumbs Up 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X