I have a question about CoH culture.

Brawlin

6 minutes ago, Brawlin said:

Content like Prog is exactly why I would want to use discord to form for teams. Rather then be at the mercy of LFG spamming for members.

LFG for Prog? Yikes. I usually stick to voice for it, yeah. Easy-Mode content like ITF, STF, LRSF and Training-Wheels-Difficulty ASF belong in LFG. When I want to feel actual accomplishment in this game, I break down the door to Discord and strap in. That +4 Prog is comin'. 

Edited by Chronicler J

3 hours ago, Brawlin said:

I am certain I am not the only one in the game that enjoys the relentless ASF+Vanguard. Now using the tried and true methods that CoH (spamming in game LFG/opt-in channels) swears by I have gotten none off the ground. Now I am supposed to believe its the contents fault and that in-game LFG is good?

I'm glad you enjoy it. Seriously. Others don't. That you can't get one going through regular channels points to you being in the minority.

• Like 1

Darn near every SG I've been involved in (including the two I belong to presently) has and do use discord for organizing teams and events.  It's just a very useful tool for that purpose.  For PUGs, I don't much see the point.  I never have any trouble finding PUG's to play with.

What I don't see Discord being used much for is voice communication during play.  I've only done this once and was surprised to find that I enjoyed it quite a lot, which I didn't expect.  It's not something I have encountered since the one time, though.  Honestly not really sure why that's the case.

Edited by Cancrusher

7 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I'm glad you enjoy it. Seriously. Others don't. That you can't get one going through regular channels points to you being in the minority.

That's why we, as a minority, have to rise up and speak out--to each other. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

You have to understand some things.

1. The City of Heroes player base is largely split into two age groups.  The first is 40+, and you'll see a lot of them in their 50s and 60s.  I'm in that age group myself.  The second is in their 20s and 30s, those who played CoH back when it was live as pre-teens and teenagers.

2. The first group that is 40+, is largely set in its ways.  It happens to most people as they get older, sooner or later.  They extremely dislike change, even if that change is objectively better.  Discord didn't exist until after CoH had been sunset for a few years.  Discord = change.  Change = bad.  Discord = new.  New = scary.

3. Because of #2, many CoH players have no idea what Discord is, as you've seen.  They think that it's a voice chat program or at least primarily used for voice chat, and don't realize that it can be used in other ways.

4. The vast, vast majority of City of Heroes' content is very easy.  Now the vast majority of the CoH player base either mostly plays blue side, or plays blue side exclusively.  Blue side content is face rolling on keyboard easy.  Most of them won't even bother playing red side at all.  God help you should you try to get them to play gold side.  The vast majority of the player base just is not interested in content that is more difficult than your standard blue side mission.  Look at how many Task Force Commander TFs are ran at +0.

5. Because of #4, Discord isn't needed at all.  Just use LFG and a couple of global channels, and you're good to go.

6. The only remaining actually difficult content in the game are the Classic LRSF, the Worthy Opponent Classic LRSF, Ruthless and higher ASF, the Relentless ASF with the Vanguard AVs, and Really Hard Way Magisterium iTrial.  For those, you're far, far, far better off looking for a supergroup to help you.  The extreme majority of the CoH player base just isn't interested in that kind of challenge.  Trying to use LFG for that will just end in failure as you've experienced, and the CoH community at large outside of specific supergroups has no use for Discord.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

10 minutes ago, Chronicler J said:

That's why we, as a minority, have to rise up and speak out--to each other. 

That's completely fair. And perhaps you can find like-minded folks with enough interest to monitor an ASF channel on discord where they'll come runnin should someone post that one is going to crank up. I find it highly unlikely but knock yourself out!

Edit: For the record, I turn 50 at the end of next month and I generally have discord running 24/7 on my workstation, not my gaming rig. I would have no interest utilizing discord for more than the 4 channels to which I already belong.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1

The discord server used to have a bot that relayed each game server's lfg chats.

That all ended in the great @heremageddon.

(It was either that or the great @everyonepocalypse. My history is fuzzy.)

But I think that was a good medium of what is being suggested. Perhaps you might suggest that the devs refocus on that bot?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Brawlin said:

So players of CoH are expected to be in CoH staring at chat (or a stream of LFG chat) hoping to either find likeminded people online looking to do the same content you are doing or hoping to find people currently forming for content you are looking to do.

And your solution is to stare at a different chat than the game you want to play the content in? People probably either don't know what it is,don't want to play it, don't have time...or they are busy chasing the damn kids off their lawn.

I think you should schedule and run this content. Advertise it in game and on discord. You could also try on different servers.

• Thumbs Up 7

9 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

The only person I can think of who does like to be on voice chat a lot is because he has difficulties typing and reading fast enough to communicate in real time over text.  

Good point

11 hours ago, Rokkeb said:

The hardest stuff to do in CoH is too easy to require discord to join a party to do that content. I've never found a game community in discord worth stayin in, it always devolves into meme bullshit, or toxic-gamer bullshit.

This is why I never joined Discord/ventrillo etc.  Then I stumbled upon a SG with rave reviews that required it for badging incarnate trials.  At least to be listen no talking required    

What I found us a mature (okay I am a tad childish but someone has to be) group that is fun to game with.  Yes, some food tastes  bad and some is hot garbage and bad for you.  Other stuff is nutritious and wonderful.  Why judge everything by the crappy diner on the corner?

The one thing you can be sure of with in-game chat is that anyone expressing interest in running something is actually there, now, ready to go. Not sure Discord is objectively better (sheesh, is anything actually objectively better when it comes to this stuff). I just know that, for me, I'd only want to be on chat with people I've gotten to know somewhat. I'd also assume that, if someone wants to turn douchebaggy, and lecture people on how to play, that, if they have to type it all, they have to be committed to stopping what they're doing to ravel out all that BS (so maybe we get saved an extended lecture from time to time?). If all you have to do is crap through a mic, well...what's to stop you?

(FYI: I'm in the older age group. Pretty sure not all of us fear change. We've just seen the latest widgets come and go [I've had a PC in the home since, sheesh, the early 90s - and I was late to the party]. You adopt the new shiny not because everyone else does, but rather, if it's actually useful to you personally. One person's fearful is another person's prudent.):-)

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

11 minutes ago, cranebump said:

The one thing you can be sure of with in-game chat is that anyone expressing interest in running something is actually there, now, ready to go. Not sure Discord is objectively better (sheesh, is anything actually objectively better when it comes to this stuff). I just now that, for me, I'd only want to be on chat with people I've gotten to know somewhat. I'd also assume that, if someone wants to turn douche and, and lecture people on how to play, that, if they have to type it all, they have to be committed to stopping what they're doing to ravel out all that BS. If all you have to do is crap through a mic, well...what's to stop you?

(FYI: I'm on the older age group. Pretty sure not all of us fear change. We've just seen the latest widgets come and go [I've had a PC in the home since, sheesh, the early 90s - and I was late to the party]. You adopt the new shiny not because everyone else does, but rather, if it's actually useful to you personally. One person's fearful is another person's prudent.):-)

Having a well regulated voice channel, being necessary to the security of a free place to express oneself, the right of the people to keep and arm bears, shall not be infringed.

Seriously though, I really appreciate the Cosmic Council Discord.  BECAUSE it is so well regulated.  There are officers who monitor what is going on and organize publish weekly events.  They do a ton of work.  They lead content.  They (with amazing deftness) nudge conversations away from dumpster fire territory without insulting anyone.  In doing so they attract a real comfortable crowd of people to Leroy Jenkins content on.  Oh sure, they use strategy and tactics.  But I mostly run Brutes and Blasters.  I have heard there are meaning to such words.  I have my suspicions though.

35 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Having a well regulated voice channel, being necessary to the security of a free place to express oneself, the right of the people to keep and arm bears, shall not be infringed.

Seriously though, I really appreciate the Cosmic Council Discord.  BECAUSE it is so well regulated.  There are officers who monitor what is going on and organize publish weekly events.  They do a ton of work.  They lead content.  They (with amazing deftness) nudge conversations away from dumpster fire territory without insulting anyone.  In doing so they attract a real comfortable crowd of people to Leroy Jenkins content on.  Oh sure, they use strategy and tactics.  But I mostly run Brutes and Blasters.  I have heard there are meaning to such words.  I have my suspicions though.

Sounds pretty perfect. I'd be satisfied with a consistent group of 5.:-)

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I have no interest in discord for CoH. Mostly because I don't want to interact with people to that (admittedly shallow) depth while playing. I have the sound turned off when I play and I typically have a tv show on to listen to, Also, I do keep LFG channel open typically unless I'm already on a team. I don't typically start playing with much of a plan in mind, so I see no need to join anything organized before I start playing.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Nerio72 said:

I think you should schedule and run this content. Advertise it in game and on discord. You could also try on different servers.

This. Also advertising the scheduled time on the forums, after a msr/ hami raid/zone event or where ever else you could reach the masses.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Chronicler J said:

LFG for Prog? Yikes. I usually stick to voice for it, yeah. Easy-Mode content like ITF, STF, LRSF and Training-Wheels-Difficulty ASF belong in LFG. When I want to feel actual accomplishment in this game, I break down the door to Discord and strap in. That +4 Prog is comin'. 

What's a Prog?

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

Is Snarky being paid by Cosmic Council to advertise for them?

Just curious:)

they would probably kick me down a few hundred mil if i asked....they got some ebil markseteeers in the dugout.  But they showed me how to make so much that i don't need it.  you can only run so many dozen fully kitted out 50s before they all start to seem real similar....

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Krimson said:

No idea, but if you need Discord to run it. Not interested. 

i think it means progressively harder content.  maybe the evil hard levels of Dr Aeon and 801 AEs?  I run the game to run a super, so i avoid stuff that makes me feel like a Blaster in a Tankers world

14 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I stay far away from the 801 people, for reasons I have mentioned before. Never done Dr Aeon, but then, I almost never do TFs because I simply cannot sit in front of a computer for the entire duration of a task force. So I just do stuff in smaller bites. Would be nice if people could use English to describe things, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

If you get with a good crew then things like Dr Aeon (on easy mode) and ITF etc are remarkably fast.   (like 15 min each)  but i understand that can seem long sometimes too.  and learning to do it that fast rather than just be dragging in the rear can be frustrating

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/20/2022 at 5:49 PM, Brawlin said:

Alright, clearly there is a disconnect between what I am talking about and what everyone is assuming. I was not talking about voice chat because for most content outside of badge runs its not necessary even then its iffy. I was strictly talking about getting groups together for content since nearly everytime I try and get a group together for relentless vanguard ASF I get met with silence. Even simple speeds I have to spam LFG/opt-in channels to get anyone at all for a long time.

Well, let me address this from a few angles.

First, I find a disconnect between my experience and yours (I think).  I see no reason to use Discord to organize most activities when I can easily find 7 teammates using the in-game tools.  To be fair, I guess I mostly run popular content like the weeklies and the ITF.  Obviously this affects the ease of recruiting.

Having said that, larger activities that I participate in *ARE* organized on Discord.  Everlasting TFs has a Discord channel and Cosmic Council on Excelsior.  Most of the incarnate trials and Hamidon raids that I join are from one of those Discords.

Finally, regarding the relentless Aeon SF - this is NOT popular content.  Even on the Discords I mentioned, it's sometimes challenging for people to find a full team to run that.  It's just not popular.

On a side note, if you're on one of the less populated shards, it can be difficult to find enough people even for some of the more popular content.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Some of the people I play or socialize with in CoX don't feel comfortable with Discord's privacy policy. So for me it is not a reliable way of getting in touch with people I want to get in touch with. The forum and the in-game tools work better for me.

• Haha 1

I have no data or proof, but I suspect the majority of players don't use discord (or the forums for that matter.) That said however,

It's not as if "nobody" uses it either. I am involved with a few supergroups that do use discord to organize/schedule many things, be it team missions, team farming, rp events, contests, weekly rp sessions, so on.

Should it be required? Certainly not. Is it a tool available to people that wish to use it? Sure!

Honestly I don't see what the fuss is about. People may or may not use it, depending on personal tastes. And either way I see nothing wrong with that.

My two cents!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2