I have a question about CoH culture.

Brawlin

I just checked ... I follow 21 channels on Discord, but I am rarely on.

It is just not part of my daily routine or how I choose content to play on CoH

On a busy server like Excelsior you just have to check chat.

I rely heavily on global friends and will join them no matter what they are doing.

I break out several of the chat channels into individual tabs so I don't have this huge stream to follow. 

Two of those tabs belong to people who will post what they are doing. That is nice, easy and ingame.

Some great suggestions have been offered to you on how to promote your Discord.

I do have to admit that I was put off by your approach. That something was wrong with us and our culture.

IRL i do a lot work in Leadership in the Arts and conflict resolution.

If you take this approach in  the future you will get a lot of push back.

Just asking " Hey I like using Discord, how can I get more people onboard" may have generated a lot positive responses.

We have a lot of wise and experienced in the game forum veterans. I lean on them.

• Thumbs Up 1

/e poofgone

18 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Try one or more of:

1. Moving the mic away from your mouth.
  2. Going into Discord settings and adjusting the sensitivity of your mic.
  3. Activating the Push-To-Talk feature.
  4. Not blaming others for your mistakes.

Other people shouldn't have to listen to you huffing and puffing into the microphone simply because you can't be bothered to operate your equipment properly. What's next? A post about how you hate driving a car because every time you change lanes without using your turn signals people get mad and yell at you?

You're missing the point completely - probably because I didn't elaborate to make it. 

When you ask people to download an app specifically to communicate with you to play a game, you should probably understand that they have not used it before. As such, not only have they not had an opportunity to determine how far away the mic should be, nor would they even be aware that adjusting the sensitivity of the microphone is possible. Moreover, they will NEVER know just what you're hearing and what you're not from their end. 

You're asking someone to use a new program and then you get upset because they've no idea how to work it properly. You just dump YOUR problem in their lap and expect them to resolve it. And, the sounds of my breathing, if it is unsavory to you - it is YOUR problem. I like breathing. While I don't deliberately breathe into the mic to disturb you, I sure am not going to spend any time during my gaming to adjust these settings for your comfort. If it's such a hassle - use the team or league chat settings in the game. Then you don't have to hear anything. 

True story, and kind of amusing: I activated Push to Talk using Z as my push key. For several months, I would find my hasten was no longer on auto-fire, and I didn't really think anything of it, until it got me in trouble while I was tanking Hamidon. I needed the recharge for my self-heal and realized it once again had not been on auto-fire. 
Turns out the default key in CoH for cancelling a power is Z. Never occurred to me there would be a key for such a thing, but now, I have chosen to not use push to talk. I'm not going to go to the trouble to switch the z key to some other key on my 200+ characters. Screw that. Communicating over discord with folks with sensitive ears just isn't that important to me. 

Don't like it ?  Too damn bad. I make no apologies. 

Next time you encounter such noises over a discord, perhaps you should kindly volunteer your time - holding everyone else up before this event - to illustrate using shared screen precisely where these settings are, and how to adjust them - because Discord's "Help" section isn't very helpful. Keep in mind - a lot of us are not old, but indeed older. Older folks haven't used a lot of these newer apps and aren't familiar with them. You should be grateful we're willing to use them in the first place, even if it is "improperly" or perhaps, rudely (from your perspective). 

The notion of anyone thinking my breathing is my problem is hilarious. It's your problem. I can go on breathing for a long time. Doesn't bother me a bit. And if I were to stop breathing at your request, I think the Catholic Church might take issue with that. And far be it for me to have a problem with the Church. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I've done some online searching and been unable to find anything about this. Could you please explain to me:

1. How is using Discord shady?
  2. What controversy is behind it?
  3. How is it any more of a hassle than any other program?

Thanks in advance for the info.

1.) Discord is notoriously unsecure and often the transitional point that social engineers will use to learn your real identity. You shouldn't be sharing your identity with people you meet online. A previous poster gave in depth links to this topic.

2.) Discord has been rumored to turn a blind eye to criminal enterprise and silence people who mention those issues or request Discord to take action. These events come and go, most of the focus is usually on the Discord communities in question, as opposed to Discord Corporate. 

3.) It's not great using any external communications program with CoH. It reduces your ability to communicate effectively because you may have to switch screens. It also opens you up to being hacked, harassed, or scammed. When CoH was live, it was standard practice to ban anyone who promoted or used external communications programs on many online games. Obviously the industry has changed quite a bit since then.... but CoH still has a complex message/search system in game that largely obsoletes Discord. The only exception is the voice chat, which has many alternatives.

That's back to why I was suggesting running a Roleplay Paragon Radio station. If you have people who are confident at speaking, they could be giving thematic background noise to CoH. Then that's going to be way more successful than trying to build a normal Discord community by dividing the existing CoH Community. There is a way forward... but you can already see how people who don't even know about Discord controversy are resistant to the very idea of using it. If your purpose is to organize events on Discord, that mindset totally derails that vision. You can argue that Discord is safe and welcoming... but CoH has a high bar for tolerance and chill attitude that very few game communities can replicate. It's hard to convince people and it looks like some people really don't want to be told to go to Discord to find teams.

I think in a sense, the original poster doesn't understand how an Online PC game wouldn't have a Discord Community... so he is questioning why the players of City of Heroes are so resistant to FORMING a community on Discord. What he doesn't understand is that between forums and the very functional in game chat function, most City of Heroes players already feel like they are part of a vibrant community, even on a Zombie version of the game that hasn't even come to the attention of half of the player base that existed during CoH Live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/20/2022 at 1:57 PM, Brawlin said:

(Asked on the reddit too but thought I might get some better answers here.)

For context I come from more modern MMO's like swtor and wow and using discord is the norm for most harder content.

Every single discord I have joined has balked at the idea of using discord to organize for content. I always get the response that you should just use their in-game chat channel or the in-game LFG.

So players of CoH are expected to be in CoH staring at chat (or a stream of LFG chat) hoping to either find likeminded people online looking to do the same content you are doing or hoping to find people currently forming for content you are looking to do.

I would launch CoH if I knew that someone was running content I would like to do and everyone I have talked to makes it seem like that's a foreign idea.

So my question is, why is the community of CoH so close minded to better ways of forming for content? I know the community is old but I feel like when you have tools like discord that give you access to 1000's of people who are interested in playing CoH and then not use it and instead use the LFG channel which is just straight up worse since people have to be at their computer, online, doing nothing, looking at chat and want to do your content.

I haven't gone through this entire thread so this may have been covered. Sure, some of the community is older but not all. Some use discord and some teams make it a mandatory part of any lengthy TF or trial. A few have used it to text and organize teaming - and when you're not online. I have this with a few CoH pals.

I will also add that YOU can always push for and get people into discord or use it. It starts with one or a few.