looking for a game similiar to city of heroes city of villians (disbility i was good at this game suck at others)

8 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Probably the best graphics you'll find with the old-fashioned game play that you want will be either Rift (a WoW clone with better graphics), Star Wars the Old Republic (ditto), or Elder Scrolls Online (which I somehow forgot to mention earlier).

Also, Champions Online actually has pretty good graphics if you tweek the options a bit.

None of those have great graphics, but the graphics is better than CoH.

New World has great graphics, can't recall about tabbed targeting though.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

If it's the gameplay of City of Heroes nothing really comes close except dungeon crawlers.

If anything it's the very early precursor to superb games like Warframe where the gameplay loop is almost identical, though Warframe is an extremely fast-paced game and most players play at the 'speedrun Taskforce' level in every mission. Go to SG Base, plan a mission, randomly join a big group, go do mission, stomp mobs 90% of the time, get a reward that improves your character sometimes, rinse and repeat. Still, Warframe is without doubt one of the best games ever made and absolutely worth checking out regardless.

The common bundle of MMO's might be worth checking out too, everyone knows those. FFXIV, WoW, ESO, GW2. For the simpler and more RPG heavy I'd suggest WoW Classic, Wrath of the Lich King will be out soon which was absolutely WoW's peak, it was all downhill from thereon after.

19 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Probably the best graphics you'll find with the old-fashioned game play that you want will be either Rift (a WoW clone with better graphics), Star Wars the Old Republic (ditto), or Elder Scrolls Online (which I somehow forgot to mention earlier).

ESO, though, very clearly shows its origins as a game designed for game consoles -- despite your character possessing a significant number of attacks and other combat abilities, you're limited to six and an 'ultimate' on mutually-exclusive 'front' and 'back' bars (you can put the same ability into both bars, but typically they're associated with your primary and secondary weapons), driven by the limited number of buttons on a game controller. And if you have a toggled ability on one bar, it turns off when you switch bars if it's not on the other bar.

I kind of wish that NC approved Paragon Studios' pitch for a City of Heroes 2 using the Unreal Engine 3 back in 2008.  It would have released around 2013.  However, it would have also been designed for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, so would have played quite a bit differently and would have more than likely been an action combat game like every other MMOG released in the past several years.

Edited by Apparition
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gw2 is solo friendly, and pretty easy. You need to learn to use the siege system and breaker bars though for you will struggle. Other than that you can for the most part just face roll the keyboard and win, beacause like coh, it doesnt require perfect rotations of max dps for 99% of the content. It's very munge friendly.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

I wouldn't recommend the game that killed CoH. 😄

Guild Wars 2 didn't kill CoH.  There were a lot of things combined that killed CoH.

1. DC Universe Online launched in January 2011.  I know a lot of people here poo-poo the game for various reasons (some of which I agree with), but the fact is that it took a chunk of subscribers away from CoH.

2. Star Wars: The Old Republic launched in December 2011.  That took a significantly bigger chunk of subscribers away from CoH.

3. Paragon Studios developers were developing another game outside of City of Heroes, against NCSoft's wishes.  In other words, they were using money meant solely for the development of CoH, on CoH and on another game entirely.  NCSoft executives really didn't like this when they got wind of it.

4. Between the losses incurred from DCUO and SWTOR, CoH was barely profitable.  Then in late 2012, Gazillion and Marvel announced Marvel Heroes.  NCSoft executives figured, "That's that.  CoH is barely in the black as it is, Marvel Heroes will surely see it go in the red.  And we've been disrespected by Paragon Studios anyhoo.  Close Paragon Studios and CoH, posthaste."

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/23/2022 at 4:14 PM, VolcanicAsh said:

i'll have to check out rift maybe i played eso was just average and dont see how the gameplay was evenn remotly close yeah they have great graphics though

couldnt get any better than average or slightly below for some reason

Have you tried DC Universe Online?

Run by Jack, has DC characters, higher-end graphics. 

Nowhere as good as City of Heroes, but better graphics and DC Characters ...and they don't apparently give a Comics Authority about you making Marvel Characters because they are all over the place including Marvel supergroups.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

After sunset , I really enjoyed DCUO for the first 30 levels.  (this was back when it was new... can't speak for it now).  At that time the first 30 levels was the first pass through all the game's content and you had a clear path to gaining power.  The weapons all felt really balanced, and the movement powers were all really well done.  It felt like a solo game, but you could team up if you wanted.  After level 30, it began repeating content and your progression method changes completely.  The game became more raid based, and further progression options were not balanced at all (maybe different now), so it seemed to me like you were pushed into a few 2-3 high performing builds and gameplay became stale. 

I ended up taking a brake from serious gaming for 3-4 years and only got back into it when my kids got a little older.  I played Champions Online for about 2 years starting around 2017.  Compared to CoH, it actually has some things they do better.  Costumes are much better.  The build system feels like you have more freedom because you can literally choose from any power pool as you level up.  However, there's only 8-10 power pools, so despite having more build freedom, you have a lot fewer choices then in CoH.  But the biggest drawback to CO is that the world is tiny.  There's something like 6 standard zones.  There's 3 end game fights, one endgame dungeon, and one endgame zone that has another endgame fight that's beyond the ability of most "pick-up groups."  It also has a very small player base, so you end up recognizing almost everyone you see after a while, which has it's positives and negatives.  I was enjoying CO, but once I found Homecoming, I never went back.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Final Fantasy Tactics 

I joke!

But I loved that game too 🙂

Elder Scrolls has some similar elements

• I setup my key-mapping for powers to how I do it CoH
  • Graphics are nice
  • There are a ton dungeons and combat opportunities. There are so many you get sidetracked from the core storyline if you are not careful. But it doesn't impact play
  • Do you like crafting in CoH? .... there is a lot and you can just do that if you want. Food, weapons, armor, potions, and furniture
  • Like having a SG base ... well get can get multiple apartments across the realm that you can tp to. If you want furniture you have to learn to craft them.... see above
  • You can get a steed to ride. Once I finally got a horse I did nothing but ride it across the map the whole time on.

Cool stuff ...

Yet I am here, because it is the community here that cannot be replaced.

/e poofgone

On 5/23/2022 at 6:00 PM, VolcanicAsh said:

so i was very very good at this game prolly one the top players back in the day when game was still running however i totaly suck at most games due to a disbilitty i just dont tend to grasp games very well but this was one game i was good at so i am wondering

is there anyone out there who has loged many hours on coh cov=city of heroes who is also pretyy good at this game that has played a variety of otherr games and could tell me ....

what modern game does city of heroes closly resemble like wich games have the clost mechanics gameplay to city of heroes

this question is very important to me as it be nice to play a game wqith moderbn graphics that im actually good at for a change so all the support and feedback oldd be greatly appreciated, not reasre what makes nnew games so different than this game but anyways. whats the closest comparison thats moderrn with good high end graphics and preferably a mmo

It doesn't meet the requirements of being a modern game in terms of graphics, but Hellgate: London has had an excellent revival in London 2038 - a completely free, non-commercial, fan-made, volunteer-run private server project to bring back classic Hellgate: London multiplayer as it was from 2007-2009.

Check it out. It's probably the most fun I've had in an MMO outside of CoX and feels very similar to it in terms of gameplay.

A copy of Hellgate: London is required to play London 2038, but obtaining a copy (at no cost) is very easy. If you (or anyone) needs assistance with that, let me know 🙂

Edited by hurtlesnaps

On 5/23/2022 at 10:07 PM, Krimson said:

City of Heroes is secretly a turn based strategy game. The OP might want to look into something similar, though I have no idea how many are Massively Multiplayer. There are no physics to worry about, and instead of real time combat, what we actually have is a rhythm game with various attack chain songs that can give Project Diva a run for it's money. 

City of heroes is more or less Parasite Eve - you can freely move but everything is on timers and D10000 rolls internally.

EDIT - on DCUO - Everyone should download it and run around Metropolis and Gotham. They're great. Then after hitting level 30 from the launch content dump it. So a month? I destroyed a mouse doing the repetitive combos. I'd play it on a Switch (yes, it's there!) or PS4 but I just cant do MMOs on a controller.

RE-EDIT: Has anyone played Secret World since it did that awful revamp? I went to that for a year after CoH closed and loved everything but the combat.

Edited by Rejolt

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

Speaking of the Wild West, there's this game that I play on and off. It's called The Outdoors.

No internet connection required.
No need graphics card (or computer for that matter).
Very immersive, especially the Health and Stamina/Endurance aspect.
Graphics are awesome...almost life-like, though a little glitchy depending on your location.

Not totally F2P and because of that there's a big controversy about it being P2W. DLC's help but not necessary.
Story which is mostly campaign mode + sandbox with surprise PvP here and there. Honestly, the plot could really use some work. I don't think any of the players nor the devs really know what they're doing. But the good news is, no one is REALLY good at it. so you're all pretty much on equal footing.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Six-Six said:

Speaking of the Wild West, there's this game that I play on and off. It's called The Outdoors.

But those pesky bugs are everywhere!

The day/night cycle is really slow.

You do get weather effects.

Hair has motion. 

You have life-like moving fingers and your feet don't look like club ends.

You can have various vehicles but travel powers are limited.

No demon pets (others' children notwithstanding) and lion and wolf pets are illegal in most areas.

Playing "redside" will get you put into the "Zig" really fast and possibly for a long time. 

• Haha 1

Oh, one big possible deal breaker I forgot to mention is the community.

The community, in my brutally honest to goodness unadulterated opinion SUCKS BALLS to high heaven.

Yes, you do get pockets of decency here and there, but all in all, the general population can all go to Helsinki for all I care, pardon my Finnish.

CoH community is much much MUCH better=er.

On 5/24/2022 at 4:02 PM, Apparition said:

3. Paragon Studios developers were developing another game outside of City of Heroes, against NCSoft's wishes.  In other words, they were using money meant solely for the development of CoH, on CoH and on another game entirely.  NCSoft executives really didn't like this when they got wind of it.

This is simply false. The "secret project" was undertaken as NCSoft's request after they nixed the proposal for CoH2. What you're suggesting would be embezzlement. People don't lose their games for that—they go to jail.

On 5/25/2022 at 7:58 PM, Six-Six said:

Very immersive, especially the Health and Stamina/Endurance aspect.

I respectfully disagree. The Health/Stamina/Endurance aspect is a huge timesink but not immersive at all. If anything, they are immersion-breaking. 

And what the H. is up with the weird design decision to make Health and Stamina inherent powers until level 30 or so, but then both of those powers get taken away from you at higher levels?!

• Like 1

For what it's worth, CoH's graphics can be improved client-side. Some find the tweaks to be impressive, others, less so.

Visit:

https://reshade.me/#download

To grab a copy of Reshade, a post-processing injector that can make some nice-looking graphical upgrades I personally enjoy.

As mentioned, YMMV, but well worth a look.

For CoH you will need to browse to the game/bin/win64/live folder and choose cityofheroes.exe as the executable and OpenGL as the engine. SuperPrism has a suggested preset here:

GL, I hope this helps!

Edited by DoctorDitko
pro tips
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

5 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

some nice-looking graphical upgrades I personally enjoy.

Well, can we see some screen shots of what THE CITY looks like to you, Doc?

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

There are screenshots in Superprism's thread.

But for me the games currently looks like this:

But that's not the fault of Reshade!

mapserver.jpg

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

3 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

There are screenshots in Superprism's thread.

/e facepalm