Star Wars: Andor on D+

Side note: sad news today that the one, the only, the mighty James Earl Jones has officially retired from voice acting... in person.

At 91, his last official project was Obi-Wan - which used a baseline performance from him and was then reconstructed by the clever clever Ukrainians at Respeecher. (Thought: wonder who else's voice they could reconstruct? Hmmm...)

He has granted his permission for his voice archive to be used for future Lucasfilm projects, as it can be put together over any other actor's base performance. Maybe even Rob Paulsen's. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the NARF...

So you might be hearing him in future games and themes - just in bits.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:42 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Orange responses

About Ep 2:

Hide contents
  • No, I've no idea what The Time Grappler (actual character name) is supposed to be doing either, but at a guess it's dawn/dusk/shift change, and looking/sounding cool as a slightly otherworldly way of doing things. 
  • Cool, absolutely.  I'm actually wondering if a piece of metal shaped like that can give off a nice tone, or if it is strickly the sound department's work.  I think what I was driving for was a sense of precision: what makes the grappler strike right then and not, say, 10 seconds later.  Picky, I know, but then they live in a spaceship world.  Precision matters.
  •  I thought of the wall of gloves as miner's hats, representing bluecollar Folks of Honest Toil. But the tragedy may not have happened yet. The Imps will not be pleased at this act of sabotage and Ferrix may well be made an example of. 
  • Alex Ferns as Linus is doing a standard British, puffed-up Sergeant character who sucks up to officers and stamps down on his own men, as exemplified by Windsor Davies over many years. However, his trust in this officer may be somewhat misplaced... 
  • Yes, Syril seems divided over what he perceives as his clear duty, and his uncomfortable-ness in the position.
  • The lost tribe put me in mind of the Thunderdome survivor kids. Maybe they are a lost tribe from another ship or a gen-ship. 
  • I'd not thought of that, but it makes sense.  First thought I'd had was they were children who fled from whatever shut the mine down, but my understanding of the mine has changed.
  • I actually liked the box markings. It's better than their old Empire Inside logo.  It is slick looking, I'll grant that.
  • I think the idea of having the talking ships and droids is kind of a neat shortcut. They can actually have proper dialogue two ways rather than having to beep and boop at people and then an actor read back the other half.
  • They've actually had talking droids all the way back to C3PO, but always the humanoid ones.  B2EMO is the first boxy droid to talk, at least that I can recall.  I'm not sure we ever saw a Star Wars' talking ship AI before.  I guess someone decided it was long overdue to catch up with the rest of the sci-fi franchises (Star Trek, Halo, 2001, etc.).  For the moment, though, it appears that talking ship AI may be presented as elite status, owned by the well-to-do.  Also, it's nice to see BOB from Black Hole still getting work these days.   LOL.  Now there's a remake I've been hoping to see, though who could replace the wonderful Slim Pickens and the equally marvelous Roddy McDowall?
  • More standard Brit humour: The Nutter On The Bus Sketch, cranked up by throwing Skarsgard into it. In this case, he has to deal with the marvellous veteran character actor Ron Cook, who has a great line in chirpy irritants.

And Ep 3:

Hide contents
  • Kanaris was deemed a closed world after the, er, accident. Marva's attitude inside the ship suggests it was just a coolant leak or similar rather than carrying anything really nasty. Or does it?
  • It does pose a mystery, perhaps one important to the overall story.  It may be blatantly obvious, but I had to rewatch it to catch it: the mine had already been closed, and for some time, judging by the condition of the mine equipment.  The green haze would seem to be the explanation then, but why did Maarva register the air as okay?  Methinks there's some serious shenanigans the Empire is trying to cover up.
  • And if the Republic killed everyone to clean up their mess, this leaves the question: how did his sister get off-world and how did he find her again? 
  • What actually is "the Republic" at this point in the backstory? We know from the Prequel Trilogy and the animated Clone Wars that the Republic doesn't behave so barbarously.  However, in the last days of the Republic there were actually two: the true Republic and what Palpatine was building within the structure of government and military.  It might be possible whatever's happening is the handiwork of Palpatine's hidden faction.  That said, this whole show is about espionage, and its possible we'll learn of some cloak-and-dagger agency within the Republic that operates in the deep grey zone of morality, just like Cassian was doing early in Rogue One.
  • Andor has a prison record. Will we see that in flashback (the weird white outfits and the tubes from the trailer) or is he going to break into one?  Good question.
  • The sheer scale of fail of Syril's disastrous (and disobedient) adventure is going to catch up with him. Over half his squad is dead, more injured, on a job he'd been specifically told to ignore. 
  • Yes, I'm not certain how the writers intend for Syril to explain this to his returning Chief Inspector.  On the other hand, the Chief Inspector was ordering his cover-up to hide illegal activities.  He'd have a hard time explaining harsh discipline without revealing his compromises.
  • Normally, the Empire does not tolerate faiiilluuurrree, but I suspect Dedra may have a use for Syril. Possibly a pair of earrings, but he may even have something to bargain with if he's smart. I also get the feeling he's going to turn against the Empire at some point, though what'll push him over I don't know. (Also, is anyone else getting young Kyle McLachlan vibes from his namesake?)  Definitely getting the McLachlan vibe.  I'd not be surprised to find Syril on the wrong end of the Sergeant, who will quickly prove that his loyalty is to the state, not the man.
  • Luthen's whip: neat. Sleek. Stealthy. BUT... Lots of visual design callbacks to a certain shabby Corellian freighter. It's a hero ship. Millennium Falcon GTi.  Definitely got that feel from the look of the interiors.
  • Why didn't the guy realise he was towing half the junkyard? Because, clearly (and slightly heavily written), we can see these dudes are not the brightest bunnies in the box. If they had double the IQ points they'd be proper Imps, and also able to count the number of enemies they're facing without looking down and taking their shoes off.  "Proper Imps": you mean the guys in white armor who can't shoot the broadside of a bantha?  😉
  • And I say again: that fight in the steelworks. Okay, so it's a bit weird having Very Heavy Dangerous Stuff hanging from chains for no good reason rather than neatly racked on the floor, but fun as all hell to watch.  
  • I was just startled by how many items were falling.  I kept saying: Just how many items were in here when the shooting started?  You just know they were setting up a scene for Lego Star Wars: Andor - the Game. 😁

On 9/23/2022 at 5:46 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Also, just for @Techwright: don't think they have the chopsticks. But:

I'd forgotten Martin Freeman played Arthur, but if I remember, this was before Sherlock when I really took notice of him.  I do want one of those knives, though. 

• Like 1

Freeman's been around in the UK for ages, and broke through as Tim in the original version of The Office. 

(Weird how Tim & Jim both went on to megastardom and the MCU... I wonder if they ever hang out?)

• Like 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Just adding a comment on one of the actors. Rupert Vansittart, the actor who portrays Chief Inspector Hyne in Andor episode #1:  despite the brevity of his appearance, I was struck by his appearance and acting skill.  It has me thinking: I wonder if they'd consider casting him as Marvel's Secretary (& General) Thaddeus Ross to replace the late William Hurt?  The character of Ross was rumored to have a lot more storyline in the near future with the upcoming Thunderbolts as well as the possibility of the Red Hulk storyline.

image.thumb.png.cc6b3329a7fea82a946706aa571e7828.png

• Like 1

Episode 4:

Spoiler
  • This is what happens when you hire proper actors for a sci-fi show. Skårsgard is just showing off now: even doing the physical and visual transformation in-camera, changing the walk, the facial shape using subtle muscular control. Masterclass.
  • Syril has had his ass busted back home to Coruscant. Ambitious little city-boy climber, got a uniform, got sent to a backwater, tried to show off, fell down, went home to mum. And yes, that's a very typical reaction. 
  • ...while Dedra is on her way up. Even her supervisor clearly likes and wants to mentor her but wants her to calm down a bit.
  • It's not hard to see where those two come together. Dedra wants to fix her problem but can't get the info. Who'd have that info first hand, and want a shot at fixing his mistakes, while maybe worming his way into the ISB?
  • And yes, sad to see Rupert Vansittart written out this early, but we've got a whole schmear of characters to follow and we can't keep everybody.
  • Meanwhile, somewhere in the ruggedly open bits of Wales - we make fine sci-fi tradition down there, boyos, fine handcrafted sci-fi the old way, can't beat it you know - we have much Mistrust And Tension...
  • ...and actors slightly unused to working to camera rather than stage (tone it down a bit, dahlinks, we're not in the tenth row, you don't have to project)...
  • ...and ooh, a heist. Love a heist. Wasn't expecting that. Yay heists! And the vault's in a dam too. DAMBUSTERS!
  • Loved the D&D dungeon builder protecting his model. (Also betting he's a rat. Sneering Statham-lite guy is too obvious.)
  • Sacred this, sacred that, sacred the other, mystic temples... Definitely Wales.
  • I've known a few rich/bored husbands and wives have private interests behind the other's backs (I've been the interest a couple of times.) Though never an actual Galactic Rebellion. That's gonna be tougher to explain than anything you keep in the cellar. Well, almost anything. 😁
  • Nice A-plot to B-plot link scene too. Rebellions cost money. Lots of money - anything you need comes with a markup for discretion. If Mon Mothma's having trouble pulling it down, Luthen's going to have to go get some himself.
  • And again, love their performance within a performance, trying to bore the Obvious Imperial Spy into distraction. (Linking this to current events: in Russia under Putin, anyone with a decent chunk of money will have at least one FSB in their inner circle and any new face is something to worry about.)

More of a "hang time" episode than I'd expected for Ep 4, but a lot of interest, a lot going on, BIG setup for next week's show. I have a feeling things may not go smoothly.

On 9/24/2022 at 6:33 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Side note: sad news today that the one, the only, the mighty James Earl Jones has officially retired from voice acting... in person.

At 91, his last official project was Obi-Wan - which used a baseline performance from him and was then reconstructed by the clever clever Ukrainians at Respeecher. (Thought: wonder who else's voice they could reconstruct? Hmmm...)

He has granted his permission for his voice archive to be used for future Lucasfilm projects, as it can be put together over any other actor's base performance. Maybe even Rob Paulsen's. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the NARF...

So you might be hearing him in future games and themes - just in bits.

Anthony Daniels springs to mind.  The droids are sort of the Star Wars equivalent of Hamlet's Horatio:  they are both observers and surviving testifiers.  Having the ability to provide C3PO's voice for the future allows the droids to continue that function.  Admittedly R2D2 is the only one of the two with his memories fully intact (Senator Organa ordered C3PO's memories wiped, probably to remove his ability to speak about Anakin), but both still fill this role.  In Star Wars lore, droids can exist indefinitely as long as there are parts, funding, and a lifeform's will to keep them running.

As to the base performances for future Darth Vader works, I'd love to see either Scott Lawrence or Matt Lantern in the driver's seat.  Matt, of course, was Anakin in the Clone Wars animation.  Scott has voiced Vader in multiple animated and game projects including Jedi: Fallen Order.

I find Respeecher full of potential.  With it, we may get future Star Wars animated works filling in story bits of Leia, Luke, and Han.  Leia's rise after Return of the Jedi as a different kind of Jedi, more of a Jedi consular, has always intrigued me, but we only have a thin skeleton of the story.

21 hours ago, Mr. Vee said:

Yay ep 4 was quite good. Idk how many viewers they lost from the first couple eps but at least there's a reward for slogging through them.

Chances are they lost a lot of viewers to Hurricane Ian as well.  I hope critics take that into account when examining the numbers.  Episode 4 was indeed quite good.

My comments in orange in the hidden parts below.

5 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Episode 4:

Hide contents
  • This is what happens when you hire proper actors for a sci-fi show. Skårsgard is just showing off now: even doing the physical and visual transformation in-camera, changing the walk, the facial shape using subtle muscular control. Masterclass.  
  • Loved that visual and personality transformation scene.  It didn't just look like Luthen was practicing, it was more like a different person was slowly inhabiting Luthen.  It makes me sorry we never had a chance to see Skårsgard in a younger role where that was important, say, The Scarlet Pimpernel.
  • Syril has had his ass busted back home to Coruscant. Ambitious little city-boy climber, got a uniform, got sent to a backwater, tried to show off, fell down, went home to mum. And yes, that's a very typical reaction.   
  • I admit I'm not really sure at this point what they're doing with Syril, though your theory below does make sense.  I'm glad at least that they didn't make him a Les Mis Javier clone as I originally thought.
  • ...while Dedra is on her way up. Even her supervisor clearly likes and wants to mentor her but wants her to calm down a bit. 
  • I was mesmerized by those "white room" scenes.  My critique on a previous occasion that it was good sci-fi but didn't yet feel like Star Wars has evaporated (happily).  This was definitely the Empire at work, despite no Sith or Tarken in sight.  The first of the white room scenes also felt like a meeting of the heads of S.P.E.C.T.R.E. in the James Bond francise.  The Major is a brilliantly-written character: part stern schoolmaster, part poised-but-menacing Bloefeld, part encouraging mentor.  An early thought was: do these characters really matter in the long run?  They'll all be dead or imprisoned in a few years.  But then it strikes me: this is less than 2 decades before The Mandalorian, and the earliest visible stirrings of the First Order.  As much as we like to see our heroes survive and thrive, it is now possible for the villains to survive as well.  It may even be possible some within the white room will become part of the backbone of the First Order.
  • It's not hard to see where those two come together. Dedra wants to fix her problem but can't get the info. Who'd have that info first hand, and want a shot at fixing his mistakes, while maybe worming his way into the ISB?  
  • And yes, sad to see Rupert Vansittart written out this early, but we've got a whole schmear of characters to follow and we can't keep everybody.  True, though I'd also not be surprised if he or the sergeant resurfaces later in some rogue-like role.  Not a rebel, but some third faction working for its own gain. Possibly even some sapper working to undermine Syril in whatever future endeavor he has.
  • Meanwhile, somewhere in the ruggedly open bits of Wales - we make fine sci-fi tradition down there, boyos, fine handcrafted sci-fi the old way, can't beat it you know - we have much Mistrust And Tension...    Never been to the Isles, only have pics and vids to work with, but I'm reading elsewhere that it was the Scottish highlands and not Wales?
  • ...and actors slightly unused to working to camera rather than stage (tone it down a bit, dahlinks, we're not in the tenth row, you don't have to project)...
  • ...and ooh, a heist. Love a heist. Wasn't expecting that. Yay heists! And the vault's in a dam too. DAMBUSTERS! 
  • I'm curious about the "unique properties" of the land/caves that one of the rebels mentioned.  What makes it so special that they've confiscated an are using it.  If such was named in the episode, I missed it.
  • Loved the D&D dungeon builder protecting his model. (Also betting he's a rat. Sneering Statham-lite guy is too obvious.)
  • While I do wonder if one of the 7 is a traitor, I'd hate for it to be the little geek.  He currently feels more like the empathetic character audiences are going to hate to see die.
  • Sacred this, sacred that, sacred the other, mystic temples... Definitely Wales.  I was wondering if there's an ancient Jedi connection that may come into play.
  • I've known a few rich/bored husbands and wives have private interests behind the other's backs (I've been the interest a couple of times.) Though never an actual Galactic Rebellion. That's gonna be tougher to explain than anything you keep in the cellar. Well, almost anything. 😁 
  • Ahhh, THAT relationship.  As this is the first time we've met the hubby, I'm wondering what his backstory is.  How did two so oil-and-water characters end up married to each other.  I'm also wondering if he really is such a fop or if he's got some agenda.  Inviting her enemies to dinner certainly sounds like the latter.  Does he suspect the truth and is trying to force it to light?
  • Nice A-plot to B-plot link scene too. Rebellions cost money. Lots of money - anything you need comes with a markup for discretion. If Mon Mothma's having trouble pulling it down, Luthen's going to have to go get some himself. 
  • Too bad they don't know about Project: Stardust at this point.  Now there would be a bankroll for the Rebs.
  • And again, love their performance within a performance, trying to bore the Obvious Imperial Spy into distraction. (Linking this to current events: in Russia under Putin, anyone with a decent chunk of money will have at least one FSB in their inner circle and any new face is something to worry about.) 
  • Star Wars has always been at its best when its bad guys feel like they stepped from the pages of real history (minus the force lightning and red lightsabers).  Say what you will about the Prequels, Amadala's speech on losing freedom to thunderous applause is chilling because it is so close to the truth at moments in history.

More of a "hang time" episode than I'd expected for Ep 4, but a lot of interest, a lot going on, BIG setup for next week's show. I have a feeling things may not go smoothly.  I'm curious to see how the show's creators will keep the storyline smooth while compressing events of 4 years into 2 seasons.  With the popularity of the show ramping up, they may regret not taking the longer path.

49 minutes ago, Mr. Vee said:

I didn't mention it thinking it'd get bullet pointed but 

Hide contents

Looks like the Rakata are 'canon' now.   

Yeah, that almost got lost in the story, but its huge, isn't it?  So much storytelling potential there.  If nothing else, we could see Rakata architectural ruins on planets now.  For any who ventured to read these hidden comments but don't know the Rakata, here's a brief summary:  https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rakata

Episode 5

I get the impression from watching reviewers that a lot of people are wanting more "pew! pew!" and less development in Andor.   I suppose this is a result of modern spy shows leaning more that way.  Well, that and we're now in a binge-watching, slide-to-key-moments, instant gratification society.   Me, I feel this is like the slow-burn setups common to the 1960s TV spy shows, which I loved.  I am gratified to see that the action-only folk are not as prevalent as those saying they really love the writing: the dialog, character development, and the slow fuse burn to the big events.

Now, spoilery talk on episode 5:

Spoiler
  • First, kudos to the actors.  Good performances all around.  Alex Lawther's performance as Nemik is fast becoming a fan favorite, though a near universal comment is "Oh, no! He's going to die", with variations on that.  I'd love it if the writers turned the perceived stereotype on its ear and he becomes a survivor (and/or possibly one of the inspirations for the Rebel movement through his writings).  I was impressed with Ebon Moss-Bachrach's performance as Skeen.  While I don't think the character will survive, I do hope Hollywood will take greater notice of the actor.  I'm not sure I've ever seen actor Kathryn Hunter before, but she's done a fine job of making me hate Momma Karn.
  •  
  • "The axe forgets, but the tree remembers":  I don't know if that was an actual saying at some point in the past, but I get the feeling it will now remain as one of the well-known lines from Star Wars.
  • There's something going on in the writer's mind about that Kyber crystal that I've not fully tuned into yet.  I suppose between Luthen and Andor it represents trust, and perhaps that is why Cassian is so hyper-protective.  One of the reviewers pointed out that he's exhibiting the hallmarks of one long in jail (which Andor admitted to):  no touching, no touching personal items.  I found it interesting that Luthen pegged the value of the crystal as much higher than Skeen did: a minimum of 20,000 credits higher, and Luthen considered that the minimum value to part with it.  Luthen knows his stuff.  Even then at a mere 30,000 credits, Skeen knew it was a treasure.  It's a crazy thought, but could the crystal have unforeseen properties?  Like could its resonance frequency be tracked by Luthen, basically creating a tracking beacon to pull Cassian out of a blown cover?
  • I've heard some reactors comment on Dedra Meero hunting Cassian.  She not really, though she may find him (especially if Syril is brought in to help).  The longer list of seemingly-random activities she and her assistant discovered show that she's been hunting much longer than Cassian has been casing ships.  She's after Luthen.  Cassian is icing on that cake, or a means to Luthen, depending on how the story plays.
  • The corporal on the top of the dam, the one who talks with bigotry to the lieutenant about the native population, is played by Nick Blood.  You may remember him as Lance Hunter in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. one of my favorite characters from that show.  I didn't recognize him due to the big mustache and darkened hair.  While even a bit part in a Star Wars project is considered exciting, I do wish they'd given him a bigger role.  Perhaps during the heist...
  • Apparently, a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...there were cocoa puffs.  With meiloorun fruit on the side: a nice reference to Star Wars: Rebels' street market fruit.  I'm not sure if it was intended or not, but Syril holding up one of these mixed-color cereal balls to study made it appear as if he was inspecting a planet, with the chocolate-colored portions as land and the blue portions as water.
  • The Easter eggs stuffed in Luthen's shop of antiquity wonders continues.  Some sharp-eyed reactors spotted the three magic stones from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on the top shelf.
  • A couple of story-design flaws I've noticed:  (1) If the Rebel cell had it all figured out (they didn't) how did they intend to pull off a 4-man patrol act without Cassian? The only 3 others not in the patrol all have other duties elsewhere during the heist.  The writers apparently didn't realize this.  (2) Day and night sequences are timed parallel between the heist planet and Coruscant.  When nightfall comes to the dam, it also comes to Luthen's antiquities shop.  These are two different planets with their own rotations.  They're not even guaranteed a 24-hour rotation.  While it is feasibly possible the two planets might align, and at least would every-so-often even with a different rotation speed, it would be more likely to see them at different times in their days.  I do feel it would be appropriate to the Star Wars universe to have a galactic time clock though, so regardless of the local planet's day, you'd know what time to call Uncle Joe on Hosnian Prime so as not to wake him during his sleeping hours.
  • Luthen's nervousness humanizes him.  This is a super spy, yes, but also vulnerable.
  • Star Wars has become obsessed with milk.  And the color blue.
  • Like everyone else I've seen react to the show, I hate Mon Mothma's self-absorbed husband.  I see her self-absorbed daughter as a tragic figure at this point in the story: created by her father's foppish nature and her mother's distance of necessity as she does all she can to help the suffering.  That viewpoint may change.  One thought that occurred to me:  If the heat of the Imperial eye gets too close to Mon Mothma,  a way to make the Imps believe she is not their enemy would be for Luthen to arrange the assassination of Mothma's husband, daughter, and driver.  A car bomb, designed to look like rebels were targeting the senator who had stepped inside to get her purse (or something) when the bomb went off.  It frees her from her household (which we've never heard of anyway), gives her genuine grief (and no doubt a heated anger against Luthen that she would have to bury for the sake of the cause), and suggests strongly to the Empire that her sympathies lie with them.  It's almost a Saw Guerra move, though I don't think he'd condone anything that brought out Imp sympathies, even if for the greater good.
  • I've heard all kinds of speculation regarding the heist:  The team except for Andor will die, part of the team will die, a few of the team will die each heist,  Luthen will die, etc, etc.  Knowing the writers are growing Cassian into the role he'll be in at the start of Rogue One, my guess is the rest of the team will die, just not all at once.  At some point, Cassian will confirm it to be easier to work solo rather than as a team member.  Luthen, as kind of a motivator and mentor to Cassian will likely survive until Cassian no longer sees this as a mercenary situation and is trained enough to stand on his own separate from Luthen.  At this point, the only two characters to survive to Rogue One we know to be Mon Mothma and Cassian Andor, so the stakes are high for everyone else.

Edited by Techwright

I thought ep 5 was very good. The development in it actually feels like it has a point, unlike eps 1-3 which in retrospect seem more and more like they were glommed on to the real show because someone decided there should be an origin story.

• Like 1

Does seem like a slow-burn one but they’ve got at least one more confirmed series to do.

For some reason the mobile version of this board doesn’t do Spoilers, so some slightly redacted thoughts:

• Much acting. Much tension. Not much “action” action, but lots to watch.
  • Sense we won’t be seeing some of the raid party again. Nobody set loose the whelps, k?
  • Uncles. Always with the uncles. Somewhat familiar. But A Plan is forming.
  • Was the crystal planted specifically to get him in trouble - bait for thieves or troublemakers?
  • Our friend at the ISB and her sidekick are that rarest of things in the Empire: smart, diligent and capable of enough empathy to think from someone else’s perspective. Very dangerous, if they aren’t defeated by their own bureaucracy.
  • Same goes for our mole on Adhani. B***ard’ing someone into begging you to let them walk into your trap (or out of your bank vault) takes skill. 
  • Not wholly sure what the scene on Ferrix was for in this context. Nice hotel, though.
  • Mon not doing parenting right. Or relationships generally. 
  • All in all; the spring is wound and next week’s episode is ready to fly. Let’s hope it’s a doozy.

Dropping your comments into a spoiler box to respond @ThaOGDreamWeaver

Spoiler

Does seem like a slow-burn one but they’ve got at least one more confirmed series to do.

I'd like to think the slow burn stuff is over.  Whatever happens next will likely be Andor's real baptism-by-fire into the spy scene.  I'm unhappy to hear, however, that they opted to ditch the 4-year plan and go with a 2-year series instead.  While on the one hand it would negate any fluff, it could also toss away some nice story bits.

For some reason the mobile version of this board doesn’t do Spoilers, so some slightly redacted thoughts:

• Much acting. Much tension. Not much “action” action, but lots to watch.
  • Sense we won’t be seeing some of the raid party again. Nobody set loose the whelps, k?  If I had to guess, not all the party (besides Andor of course) will bite the dust in the one mission.  Cassian is not entirely on board with the program yet, and seeing his entire team wiped would likely drive him away.  I think this is going to be where some of the team survives because Cassian is with them and adept at adapting to chaos, proving to himself that he can truly make a difference.  How many return, and will they have loot, are the two big questions to my thinking.  Wednesday will tell.
  • Uncles. Always with the uncles. Somewhat familiar. But A Plan is forming.
  • Was the crystal planted specifically to get him in trouble - bait for thieves or troublemakers?  An interesting thought.  It's weird, as I think about it, that Luthen would give him something that might point back to an antiquities dealer.  As I mentioned in my last post, I get the feeling the crystal is more than just a promissory note.
  • Our friend at the ISB and her sidekick are that rarest of things in the Empire: smart, diligent and capable of enough empathy to think from someone else’s perspective. Very dangerous, if they aren’t defeated by their own bureaucracy.  I sort of find myself rooting for those two.  Not to end the rebellion, but to outclass all the IMP smarmy types.  I'm not sure how it could be done, but if they could be brought over to the rebellion, their clear thinking would be an asset, one the Empire fails to understand.
  • Same goes for our mole on Adhani. B***ard’ing someone into begging you to let them walk into your trap (or out of your bank vault) takes skill.   He's good, I'll grant that.  I find he's on my "probably going to die" list, though, right after the idealist author.
  • Not wholly sure what the scene on Ferrix was for in this context. Nice hotel, though.  I get the impression that is a setup for stories down the road.  Ferrix is probably going to be on Cassian's radar throughout the show.  He left Bix and "Momma" Andor there after all.  (Not to forget B2EMO)  Crazy thought: is the captain going to become Alcalde/Montero to Cassian's Zorro?  Will Cassian cripple the Lt. Supervisor Blevin by dealing with the captain and his hotel?  Such might unintentionally aid Dedro Meero, if Blevin were to fall from grace.
  • Mon not doing parenting right. Or relationships generally.  Sadly, it's actually all to common for someone deeply dedicated to a cause. Their power focus creates major blind spots in the area of families, and the kids grow up distorted as a result.  Kudos to the writers for nailing that. Of course, it doesn't help when you've got Mr. I'm-Bored-Where's-The-Party-Crowd as the kid's dad.
  • All in all; the spring is wound and next week’s episode is ready to fly. Let’s hope it’s a doozy.

Spoilering your spoilers:

Spoiler
18 hours ago, Techwright said:

I sort of find myself rooting for those two.  Not to end the rebellion, but to outclass all the IMP smarmy types.  I'm not sure how it could be done, but if they could be brought over to the rebellion, their clear thinking would be an asset, one the Empire fails to understand.

I get the feeling, in a curious way, that Dedra and even Syril are fellow travellers of the Rebellion in their own peculiar way.

They believe in an idea of the Empire, a grand, unifying force of unity, peace, order and stability. They're aware of the costs involved in that.

But as we can see, the Empire is also a bloated, bureaucratic, blindingly corrupt mess, and absolutely no place for idealists.

Running into that headfirst - as Syril has through his own incompetence, and Dedra and friend may well do through their dedication, might well rob them of that illusion.

The desires for revenge and/or redemption are powerful.

I think this is going to be where some of the team survives because Cassian is with them and adept at adapting to chaos, proving to himself that he can truly make a difference.  How many return, and will they have loot, are the two big questions to my thinking. 

We've had some clues in the trailers already. We see Cassian flying a hideous-looking transport and what could well be The Eye, so takeoff at least is successful.

It's unlikely they leave empty-handed. The Chekhov's Gun - or possibly Chekhov's Winch - was that bit about the loading clutch that calculates weight for you. Too much weight - ship no fly, or even get off the launch rail. 

The other one was the shots of the vault. That's a lot of creds / quatloos / gold-pressed latinum / whatever. And the ship - which again, we've seen in the hangar bay - looks way too small to pack all of it in. Especially if you're on a schedule and potentially under Imperial fire.

If it was me running this op: take as much as you can and still fly, then blow the dam and bury the rest under thousands of tonnes of water and thermocrete. It's a blow to the Empire and covers your tracks from the theft.

my "probably going to die" list, though, right after the idealist author.

Place your bets, kids...

• The Kid 11-4 JF (Painfully slow death scene on the ship and / or left staring up in haunting manner)
  • Grumpy Haunted Dude 11-4 JF (Will die heroically saving Cassian)
  • The Imp 2-1 (With panache)
  • Boss Lady 5-1 (Possibly intentional)
  • Boss Lady's Girlfriend / Medic 7-1 (Triggers Vengeance from Boss Lady)
  • Random other dude with military experience and not too many lines NR (preeetty much guaranteed)

Okay, so that was indeed pretty damn good and did throw some surprises.

Let's check out the results:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Place your bets, kids...

• The Kid 11-4 JF (Painfully slow death scene on the ship and / or left staring up in haunting manner)
    • Nailed it, if not the cause of death. Good lad, though: great clutch shot that saved the mission and kept it together enough to navigate.
  • Grumpy Haunted Dude 11-4 JF (Will die heroically saving Cassian)
    • Completely wrongfooted here. As was everyone else. Love it.
  • The Imp 2-1 (With panache)
    •  Sadly, not quite so much of the panache, but a stylish presence till the last blast.
  • Boss Lady 5-1 (Possibly intentional)
    • Lives to fight another day.
  • Boss Lady's Girlfriend / Medic 7-1 (Triggers Vengeance from Boss Lady)
    • Melts into the crowd... wonder if we'll see her again?
  • Random other dude with military experience and not too many lines NR (preeetty much guaranteed)
    • Yup. Sorry dude. It wasn't a dies on Page 6 job, but even a diverse Star Wars universe can't get rid of some dumb writer tropes.

So how did you all do?

• Nice action moments, from the Bond rappel down the dam to the heist itself.
  • The op went remarkably seamlessly down to that one last unplanned accident - an Imp picking up on some loose comms. 
  • They didn't blow the dam: understandable as that would wipe out the entire Aldhani population.
  • Then again, that's pretty much guaranteed at this point. Like a certain other evil empire we know, the first thing the FSB... sorry, ISB command looks for isn't evidence, it's reprisals. A lazy ruler's way of keeping slave states in line. And An Example Must Be Made, naturally. But the tighter they squeeze, the more star systems will slip through their fingers...
  • The Eye. Oooh, pretty. Love a good meteor storm - one of the reasons I moved out to the country for darker skies.
  • I swear that temple model - scaled up into the temple itself - is one that used to be in my local RPG store.
  • The loading weight thing wasn't important after all, other than to show the leaders wouldn't have made it without him.
  • I do love that even small characters like the pompous commandant get just a tiny bit of character development.
  • I may be a little behind on my lore, but that ex-Stormtrooper didn't look too much like Temeura. Guess clones are phased out by this point (Bad Batch?)
  • Where do we go from here?
    • Vell the Boss Lady gets the loot to Luthen... though how they're going to fence all those hot credits is their next problem.
    • We still haven't seen Saw. Jedha City might be a good place to hole up and disperse the cash.
    • Luthen was previously worried that Cass could trace back to him, along with Vell. Might be a worry.
    • Going back to Ferrix - say, to pick up Mum and the ex - could be an absolutely terrible idea, especially showing up with an awful lot of change in his pocket and Imps running around like angry hornets.
    • The one thing on his side is that Priority #1 is Find Those Terrorists - his little local difficulty might get lost in the shuffle.
    • Although there were witnesses left alive. There might have been security footage from before the power went out. And someone might just be smart enough to make the connection...

Excellent episode!  I had a few nitpicks, but nothing story-breaking.  Those saying the show is slow better be satisfied now, or risk being seen as unbelievable.

15 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Okay, so that was indeed pretty damn good and did throw some surprises. 

Let's check out the results:  

Hide contents

So how did you all do? Cassian shot first!  Try to CG that differently, Georgie boy! 

Kudos to you for being completely on-point with the idealist's death!

• Nice action moments, from the Bond rappel down the dam to the heist itself.  The dam rappel was instantly recognizable.  One of the best stunts in the Bond franchise.
  • The op went remarkably seamlessly down to that one last unplanned accident - an Imp picking up on some loose comms.  This was two of my nitpicks:  (1) the show made an effort to show how much planning the team put into this...aaaand they forgot to talk in code....aaaand they used their real names.  (2) They didn't make certain to completely isolate the dam's communication.  This is a small scale equivalent to a power during war failing to achieve air superiority before moving in.  It's guaranteed to get very messy.  On the Imps side, sorry that corporal didn't survive.  I'd have made him sergeant major before the week was out.  The man was a rare Imp.  He thought on his feet.
  • They didn't blow the dam: understandable as that would wipe out the entire Aldhani population.  Indeed.   It may have been said and I didn't pick up on it: what was the dam powering?  it looked old, pre-empire, but the Aldhani didn't seem to have a need for it.  I'm guessing it would be tied into whatever base expansion the engineer planned, but before that?
  • Then again, that's pretty much guaranteed at this point. Like a certain other evil empire we know, the first thing the FSB... sorry, ISB command looks for isn't evidence, it's reprisals. A lazy ruler's way of keeping slave states in line. And An Example Must Be Made, naturally. But the tighter they squeeze, the more star systems will slip through their fingers...
  • The Eye. Oooh, pretty. Love a good meteor storm - one of the reasons I moved out to the country for darker skies.  I didn't understand the name "The Eye" until a reactioner pointed out the view from the hauler toward the horizon.
  • I swear that temple model - scaled up into the temple itself - is one that used to be in my local RPG store.  I've seen that design before.  I've been trying to remember where.  I think maybe the Jedi meditation rock in season 2 of The Mandalorian, though possibly some other Jedi stuff in the animated shows, maybe even in the video game The Old Republic.
  • The loading weight thing wasn't important after all, other than to show the leaders wouldn't have made it without him.  On the other hand, watching Imps go flying across the room as the ship launched up the rail was fantastic.
  • I do love that even small characters like the pompous commandant get just a tiny bit of character development.  Good point.  This leaves room for backstory.  He may show up in future shows set early in the Empire era.
  • I may be a little behind on my lore, but that ex-Stormtrooper didn't look too much like Temeura. Guess clones are phased out by this point (Bad Batch?)  Clones weren't really used as "Stormtroopers"  until after the start of the Empire, and even then General Rampart was making a concerted effort to phase them out and replace them with "normals" even in Empire year 1.  (Yes, Bad Batch)  This man would have had up to 15 years as a Stormtrooper.
  • Where do we go from here?
    • Vell the Boss Lady gets the loot to Luthen... though how they're going to fence all those hot credits is their next problem.  I suspect this is another weakness (or is it actually a strength?) in the story writing: the credits are untraceable, likely because the Empire never took a threat to steal them seriously.  It's a simple handwave so as not to bog down the story, but jives with Cassian's opinion of the Empire: blinded by their arrogance.  On the other hand, assuming I'm wrong, if the Empire was smart and could trace them all, an antiquities smuggl...er, dealer, would have the connections to launder the wealth on the edges of the Empire.
    • We still haven't seen Saw. Jedha City might be a good place to hole up and disperse the cash.  If he's holding to one base.  Saw moved around quite a bit in his younger days of action.  I'm wondering if he will show up in the next arc, which they say will represent another year.  Not sure if that's next episode or not.  The title of it suggest we're going to go back to Cassian's search for little sis.  I'd think it will also deal with his agony of internal growth reading through the manifesto
    • Luthen was previously worried that Cass could trace back to him, along with Vell. Might be a worry.  I'm assuming the failure of communications also resulted in the failure of any video cameras that might record their faces.
    • Going back to Ferrix - say, to pick up Mum and the ex - could be an absolutely terrible idea, especially showing up with an awful lot of change in his pocket and Imps running around like angry hornets.  Or...Don Diego returns to his home from Spain to discover the people oppressed and cry for ...Zorro!  Sorry, I keep seeing Diego Luna and thinking how awesome he'd be as Zorro (hmm...with Pedro Pascal as the Big Bad?)  More seriously, yes, how does one move around inconspicuously with 200,000 metal credits in their pouch?
    • The one thing on his side is that Priority #1 is Find Those Terrorists - his little local difficulty might get lost in the shuffle.
    • Although there were witnesses left alive. There might have been security footage from before the power went out. And someone might just be smart enough to make the connection...  Yes, recall that the two patrols left with the Aldhani were eyeing the rebel patrol in confusion.  They survived. 
  • Okay, my other two nitpicks:  Where were the droids?  The dam base should be crawling with them, even if it is only mouse droids.  I don't know if the KX series, of whom K2SO was one, was active in 5BBY (they would be soon), but there should be astromechs. 
  • And, why didn't someone think to check for weapons on the Imp officers as soon as they surrounded them?  The engineer's pistol was. right. there.
  • I'd be curious to know from someone with more knowledge of Imp military why the boys in ceramic white weren't at the dam.  Not that their Dollar General armor could stop anything nor would they be shooting straight.  (Okay that was unfair.  Dollar General would sell better armor.)
  • Kudos to the writers for taking out the one extremely predictable dead-man-walking in a very unpredictable way. And to the stunt/practical effects team for making it look tragically real. That actually got a shout of pain out of me.  I normally watch these with rarely more than an eyebrow lift.

9 hours ago, Mr. Vee said:

Doctor Quadpaws.

That is all.

Have you reserved that name? 😄

EDIT:  Forgot to add...

Spoiler

There were some bits in this episode that reminded me of The Dirty Dozen.  One such moment was Taramyn's death: shot down and killed instantly while running toward the others as they're trying to get out.  It is a moment that really hits the rest of the team before they have to focus on other things.  The same sort of scenario happened in The Dirty Dozen when Jefferson was gunned down running to catch his team's moving jeep leaving those on board in stunned silence.

Edited by Techwright
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Techwright said:

I've seen that design before.  I've been trying to remember where.  I think maybe the Jedi meditation rock in season 2 of The Mandalorian, though possibly some other Jedi stuff in the animated shows, maybe even in the video game The Old Republic.

The Hollows and Nerva, for two. Felt a lot like the CoT's decor style.

Spoiler

The dam base should be crawling with them, even if it is only mouse droids.  I don't know if the KX series, of whom K2SO was one, was active in 5BBY (they would be soon), but there should be astromechs. 

I'm still not sure either what the dam was for - unless it was to protect access to those special caves being used as the Imperial Vault, or opened up the valley floor below for the new industrial developments. But it looked suitably menacing - a large lump of intrusive, grey concrete in a wild landscape.

But we do know it was a good few klicks from the main garrison and airbase. They seem to be the primary bases on Aldhani - hence why the vault commander might be pretty grumpy about it: it's not even the best base on a backwater planet. Anyway, I'd assume the airbase is where they keep the astromechs. Floors were rough and damp stone - even when they weren't gantries - so a Mouse Droid would just get stuck. Also, filming budgets 😛

aaaand they used their real names

"Clem" didn't, and I get the feeling neither did convict dude. Vell did - but is now one of only three of that crew left alive, which I suppose helps your OpSec a bit.

Feels like this is Vell's first mission in charge, and got to know her crew a little too well over the months of prep.

When that Mando ep came out I very nearly reinstalled SWTOR to compare the game area to the show. fortunately the innertubes had some screenshots to save me from myself.

Also I've decided Doctor Quadpaw needs a spin-off where we learn the story of how his speculum-free gynecology practice was all the rage on Coruscant in the latter days of the Republic before the Empire's anti-alien policies forced him underground.

Andor Episode 7 - back to building intrigue, and a surprise cameo (no, not the big guy, the other one)

Spoiler

Episode 7 brought back to live action an iconic character who has played for both the good guys and the bad guys:  Wullf Yularen.  Now Yularen may not be well-known to the casual Star Wars fan, but he's actually in quite a bit of Star Wars.  In the original Star Wars (aka "A New Hope") he was one of the top Empire brass on board the Death Star, perishing along with everyone else onboard.  But that is the end.  At the beginning of his chronological tale, Yularen is an Admiral for the Republic during the Clone Wars.  As such, he often has to work closely with Jedi Generals Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, the latter of whom is a constant source of irritation for the by-the-book Admiral.  Yularen gradually comes to grudgingly respect Skywalker.  With the end of both the Clone Wars and the Galactic Republic, Yularen shows his true colors.  He is not loyal to the Repubic, he is loyal to the service. As a result, he has no problem continuing that service but to the Empire.  Shortly after the creation of the Empire, he chooses to resign his naval commission and accept a commission as colonel in the Imperial Security Bureau.  Despite the rank, he tends to function more like a high-ranked general in the ISB, and his skills are utilized to train a generation of ISB agents.  During the events of Star Wars: Rebels he shows himself to be something of a duty-bound Watson to the evil-Sherlock nature of Grand Admiral Thrawn, and becomes aware of the true nature of the traitor code-named "Fulcrum".  Now, we see him again in live action, briefing the ISB sectors leadership on the repercussions the Empire has in store for the heist.

Other thoughts from the episode:

• Still kind of wondering what B2EMO's droid function is.  With the exception of one moment where he used a tiny hand wielding a welding arc in a creative way, he's been nothing but a flexible, talking box on wheels.  Perhaps he's just a companion pet, though I really hope we see something to suggest his original role: mechanic? alternate-version astromech? liberated factory droid?
  • Really hoping for a bit more of the real Clem in flashbacks, something to deepen the emotional impact of loss.  Don't leave us...um...hanging.
  • Actor Elizabeth Dulau really needs more respect.  Her character Kleya (Luthen's assistant) is really intriguing as one who seems to be trying to keep him on a steady keel.  With her scene talking to Vel, I'm wondering if Kleya is not fully operating with Luthen's authority.  Ending Cassian sounds contrary to Luthen's designs.  Could she really be acting according to Saw Guerrera's instructions and indoctrination?
  • Vel cleans up very nicely. I didn't even recognize her for a moment.  Must be those sheep-milk soaps and skin treatments.
  • Fiona Shaw is amazing as Maarva Andor.
  • Childhood buddy Tay Kolma is now either a walking dead man or a future reluctant snitch.  I'm leaning towards the former, with perhaps self-absorbed husband Perrin betraying him to the Empire (or maybe the equally self-absorbed daughter.  Perhaps that is why they were introduced to each other).  Mon Mothma may have to let him hang to maintain cover and preserve the fledgling rebellion.
  • The scene with Clem being attacked by storm troopers:  those appear to actually be clone troopers wearing phase II clone trooper armor.  Notice the distinctive "T" of their visor, and the ridge on the helmet.  Also notice these guys are all of a uniform height and build.  This jives with the transitional time when the clones were still under the influence of Order 66 programming, and forming the core of the military as it transitioned over to an army composed of empire-loyal soldiers pulled from all over the galaxy. Maarva actually confirms this is at the start of the Empire when she reminds Cassian that it's been 13 years since that event.
  • Maarva seems to know more about Kanari and Cassian's sister than she's suggesting by trying to tell him the sister is dead and to move on.
  • Wondering if the manifesto from last episode combined with a possible future death of Maarva will be the sparks that fully convert Cassian to the cause.
  • I am so loving these ISB conference meetings.  The writing is just whip-smart.
  • With the appearance of two K2SO units, I'm wondering if they're going to tease us for a which to make us guess which appearance of such units will actually reveal the sarcastic droid we all know and love.
  • As much as I love the ISB meetings, I'm really not loving the Syril storyline.  I believe in the slow-burn, but this is ridiculous.  Weird point to end the episode, too.
  • On a positive note:  Luthen's pawn sho...um, antiquities store has several new easter eggs, among them a Gungun shield and a Jedi temple guard mask.  There's an absolutely evil looking pair of brass-clawed combat guantlets (still trying to figure the origin of that one out), and both the Twi'lek kalikori (family heirloom art, basically a family tree) and a Kel Dor breathing mask make a re-appearance.  The latter is probably there because Dave Filoni's favorite Jedi is Plo Koon, a mask-wearing Jedi Master.

Edited by Techwright

My comments in bold...

Spoiler
10 hours ago, Techwright said:
  • Still kind of wondering what B2EMO's droid function is.
    According to previous press releases, they're an old salvage droid - aside from the odd bit of help with tools, the powerful treads are for hauling big chunks of scrap around. Or at least they were when he was new...
  • Actor Elizabeth Dulau really needs more respect.  Her character Kleya (Luthen's assistant) is really intriguing as one who seems to be trying to keep him on a steady keel.  With her scene talking to Vel, I'm wondering if Kleya is not fully operating with Luthen's authority.  Ending Cassian sounds contrary to Luthen's designs.  Could she really be acting according to Saw Guerrera's instructions and indoctrination?
    Or she's got her own agenda entirely - she was listening in on Luthen and Mon. Blackmail? ISB spy? Saw's agent?
    Also, is the gothy look a slight Nightsister ref?
  • Vel cleans up very nicely. I didn't even recognize her for a moment.  Must be those sheep-milk soaps and skin treatments.
    Amazing what a bit of conditioner and a blow dry can do.
    As are most of the cast. Great  ensemble work all round again.
  • Childhood buddy Tay Kolma is now either a walking dead man or a future reluctant snitch.
    Or was leant on to look in on Mon and figure out if she's up to something. Trust no-one. Especially not friends.
  • Wondering if the manifesto from last episode combined with a possible future death of Maarva will be the sparks that fully convert Cassian to the cause.
    That and getting thrown in jail for 6 years for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Which is a problem for Luthen and the Rebellion: the one person who could blow their OpSec is now in Imperial hands, but the Imps have got absolutely no idea who they just busted. If they try to break him out or kill him, that draws attention: if they don't, he might talk. 
  • I am so loving these ISB conference meetings.  The writing is just whip-smart.
    Reminding me a lot of the original House Of Cards with the mighty Ian Richardson
  • With the appearance of two K2SO units, I'm wondering if they're going to tease us for a which to make us guess which appearance of such units will actually reveal the sarcastic droid we all know and love.
    It's a neat throwback (forward?) to Rogue One, but I'm not sure Murderbot's going to show up in this series. 
  • As much as I love the ISB meetings, I'm really not loving the Syril storyline.  I believe in the slow-burn, but this is ridiculous.  Weird point to end the episode, too.
    I have a feeling he's working late either to prove himself, or looking through Imperial records off the books. But it's definitely odd. 

So, where do we go from here? This kinda confirms the weird looking corridors from the trailers are some kind of Imperial prison. I smell breakout episode, both in plot terms and possibly in action terms. Desperate times, desperate action.

Also, does anyone else get the feeling Dedra is going to go Rebel at some point (and get ratted out by her little buddy?) 

Out of sheer frustration as much as anything else - pointless cruelty doesn't get anything done.

Also, with Wulf showing up, do we get his big blue buddy dropping by to help out?

Swapping over to my traditional orange.  (I need something different.  Can they whip up a frosted raspberry?)

Spoiler
21 hours ago, Techwright said:
  • Still kind of wondering what B2EMO's droid function is.
    According to previous press releases, they're an old salvage droid - aside from the odd bit of help with tools, the powerful treads are for hauling big chunks of scrap around. Or at least they were when he was new...  So he's WALL-E for Star Wars.  Got it.
    Or she's got her own agenda entirely - she was listening in on Luthen and Mon. Blackmail? ISB spy? Saw's agent?
    Also, is the gothy look a slight Nightsister ref?  I knew her street look struck a cord but couldn't place it.  It does look a bit like the Night Sister's look in Jedi: Fallen Order.
    Amazing what a bit of conditioner and a blow dry can do.
    As are most of the cast. Great  ensemble work all round again.  Have to agree with that.  This show should win awards for acting at very least (but also for the wardrobe team who made Mon Mothma's outfits.  Stunning.)
  • Childhood buddy Tay Kolma is now either a walking dead man or a future reluctant snitch.
    Or was leant on to look in on Mon and figure out if she's up to something. Trust no-one. Especially not friends.
    That and getting thrown in jail for 6 years for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Which is a problem for Luthen and the Rebellion: the one person who could blow their OpSec is now in Imperial hands, but the Imps have got absolutely no idea who they just busted. If they try to break him out or kill him, that draws attention: if they don't, he might talk.   Great reasoning.  I have one issue with his sentencing:  it loudly broadcasts that he's not going to be serving the full sentence.  In six years we know he's dead and the Death Star destroyed.  I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I now know there's a jailbreak coming.  Had they sentenced him to two years, it still would have impact, and we'd be unsure whether he's going to serve it or not.
    Reminding me a lot of the original House Of Cards with the mighty Ian Richardson
    It's a neat throwback (forward?) to Rogue One, but I'm not sure Murderbot's going to show up in this series.  SPOILER within SPOILER:  Alan Tudyk has been confirm as being in the cast.  Now that may be a massive red herring, he may play/voice some other role, but he's said to be in it.
    I have a feeling he's working late either to prove himself, or looking through Imperial records off the books. But it's definitely odd. 

So, where do we go from here? This kinda confirms the weird looking corridors from the trailers are some kind of Imperial prison. I smell breakout episode, both in plot terms and possibly in action terms. Desperate times, desperate action.  There will be a prison break.  That's the obvious bit.  What isn't obvious is the repercussions of that.  Will Vel conduct it? Will Cassian kill Vel in self-defense? Does Kleya overplay her hand and bite the dust? Will Cassian recruit a new Magnificent Seven within the prison?  Does Cinta have a role in this?

Also, does anyone else get the feeling Dedra is going to go Rebel at some point (and get ratted out by her little buddy?) 

Out of sheer frustration as much as anything else - pointless cruelty doesn't get anything done.  Well, there is precedent from the Star Wars canon, though from an internal chronology it is yet to happen.  The most competent member of the Empire (besides Thrawn and Yularen) in Star Wars: Rebels had a change of heart and brought his skills to the Rebellion.

Also, with Wulf showing up, do we get his big blue buddy dropping by to help out?  That would be interesting.  Everyone knows Grand Admiral Smurf will be in the Ahsoka series but that is 18 years in the future.  It might be interesting to see the more youthful Admiral Smurf (sans "Grand" as Rebels showed that he was promoted at the start of season 3 which was year 3 BBY).  Having the art-studying Big Blue hunt Luthen, a guy whose entire public side is about collectable art, would be intense

This show has studiously avoided having aliens in any major roles with the exception of the "heavy" brought in during episode one to threaten Cassian.  Otherwise, I'd say that someone escaped from prison and on the run might move through the underworld of the Empire and that raises names like Hondo Onaka or Cid the Trandosian.

A couple of new observation from a retrospect:

1. Cassian is required to pick a pseudonym and immediately picks "Clem".  Now it is clear why.  Not only because it was the name of his surrogate dad, but because what he's doing is going to seriously hurt the Empire.  Meaning...it is his revenge in his father's name for what they so callously did to his father figure.

2. Mon Mothma is once again confirmed to be the overly cautious member of the Rebel leadership.  This hits home "soon" in the timeline when in Rebels she is unwilling to send a force to help Lothal, but reluctantly agrees to a squad of 5 or so.  She reminds me of what I was told about American Civil War General McClellan.  At the start of the war, the Union general was very able at putting together and training a magnificent army, but dragged his feet to the point of frustrating President Lincoln because (as it was told me) he was reluctant to bloody and break this beautiful creation.  (He did have some key victories, though).  I feel like the clash between Mon and Luthen shows this off.  She's content to continue building quietly and in the shadows indefinitely, and he's realized that to do so would mean the death of the Rebellion as the Empire slowly strangles all.

3.  New Rockstars revealed that the trooper who cornered Cassian on the beach was voiced (played?) by Sam Witwer, famous for voicing Darth Maul in several works and also the Starkiller in The Force Unleashed games.  He's done several other Star Wars voices as well, including Emperor Palpatine in several projects.

One thing i noticed in this last ep is how ridiculous the ISB's pants are for spies. Sure these are the desk spies but could you imagine trying to follow someone quietly without knocking over everything in your path with those things Dedra had on?