Jump to content

Star Wars: Andor on D+


Recommended Posts

So that was, indeed, pretty damn special. Some surprises: welcome ones, to be sure, and quite a few things left unresolved.

Spoiler
  • It's evident that our Rebel characters are (mostly) smarter than the opposition. Starting with Mon, who clearly tags her driver as a spy and uses it to set up her husband. Clearing the gambling debts gives her a plausible reason for financial difficulties, which doubtless the ISB will use as leverage... and tip her to things that they're interested in? In any case, boss bitch move.
  • The deaths of Kreegyr and his team are handled almost dismissively, by both sides. Such is war. Dedra was right, though: they're more useful alive.
  • Nice tiny, silent scene of our two clowns swapping hats on the space bus.
  • The big parade for Maarva is a great piece of cinematic tension building, like a 600-strong Western showdown (no tinkly music box).
  • ...and Fi Shaw gets her St Crispin's Cassian's Day speech. Fire in every damn line right down to those bastards. Almost heard Do You Hear The People Sing over the top of it. Reinforced through the episode with the echoed voices of Nemik and Clem. And to round it off, Maarva still gets the very first blow of the Rebellion in. As a brick.
  • Yay! Danger Lesbians didn't get fridged...
  • ...but snitches get stitches. And/or a bomb to the face. Ouch.
  • Smart characters part 2: yep, called it, Cinta tagged the ISB goon ages ago. And he gets his.
  • Syril. Smarter boy than you'd think. (Bet he's still not gettin' any, though). Now she owes his smug ass one, and she's going to hate that.
  • Also, can I just mention the way Denise and the camera crew played that. You're not supposed to sympathise with Imps, but that was a genuinely terrifying moment that felt like it came from a different movie - a zombie movie. (From her perspective, close enough.)
  • Dedra may not deserve the blame for this one but it's still going to get held against her, because she authorised the parade.
  • If I have a gripe in this episode, it's that Cassian's damsel-rescue bit is a little too pat (even if it's mirrored/lampshaded by Syril & Dedra). But it works well enough, and whatever's left of Bix is safe for Series 2.
  • Mon's kid seems happy enough at getting hitched to Space Joffrey. Good riddance, frankly.
  • If there's a mystery - and another piece of fine acting - it's Luthen. As someone who operates from the shadows, at arm's length, he's never really seen the kind of fight he's fomenting up close and personal. Is he having second thoughts?
  • Then the final confrontation. Not sure Cass 100% knew which way that was gonna fall, but it's clear there's mutual appreciation now. 
  • Still don't get to explore Luthen's motivation for his whole deal. Maybe we never will. Is it better that way?
  • And of course, we wind up with the tailgag. Biggest. Damn. Chekhov's Gun. EVER.

All in all, that one slightly saggy plot device aside, the only thing I'm narked about in this episode is that we've got about two years to wait till the next one.

 

And pray to the Makers that the changeover at Disney doesn't get a big, expensive, critically acclaimed but under-audienced show redlined, or D+ doesn't bite it and get merged with some other platform I can't get at in the UK.

 

But for now... it's very rare that a series leaves you feeling anything, let alone... that damn good.

spacer.png

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the bonkers Star Wars Theory “no bricks or screws in space” thing that’s been roundly mocked on The Interwebs…

 

…kinda missing the point. 
 

As one of my assorted Twitter folks put it: “[A New Hope] gave us a setting that felt established and real, because people had evidently been living in it. We saw the grimy underside of SF.”

 

In Andor, we see both shine and grime, and it’s very much by design. 
 

The Empire is all surface gloss, steel, chrome, cold clinical maddening (and occasionally electrified) order, until you get down to Coruscant’s grimy underbelly. 

 

Aldhani is grass, natural stone, forests, curved valleys, plus one sodding great concrete dam dropped in the middle of it, jarring, out of place. 

 

Ferrix is brick, stone, rust, mud, old recycled tech, warm tones, down-to-earth, imperfect… human.

 

The contrast between these settings sets the tone for the people who live and work there and their characters. 

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

On the bonkers Star Wars Theory “no bricks or screws in space” thing that’s been roundly mocked on The Interwebs…

 

…kinda missing the point. 
 

As one of my assorted Twitter folks put it: “[A New Hope] gave us a setting that felt established and real, because people had evidently been living in it. We saw the grimy underside of SF.”

 

In Andor, we see both shine and grime, and it’s very much by design. 
 

The Empire is all surface gloss, steel, chrome, cold clinical maddening (and occasionally electrified) order, until you get down to Coruscant’s grimy underbelly. 

 

Aldhani is grass, natural stone, forests, curved valleys, plus one sodding great concrete dam dropped in the middle of it, jarring, out of place. 

 

Ferrix is brick, stone, rust, mud, old recycled tech, warm tones, down-to-earth, imperfect… human.

 

The contrast between these settings sets the tone for the people who live and work there and their characters. 

I remember thinking the same thing when they transitioned between shots of Ferrix and the Empire facilities. I did appreciate the design of the Empire's facilities though! Straight lines and smooth edges are my jam.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m kind of the opposite. I grew up in a very old city (at least 450AD as a known settlement, with evidence of large scale habitation in the area well before that). I’m comfortable around old stone, trees, grass, open space: canyons of ultramodern, clinical buildings make me nervous. You build spaces for people, people will live in it. You make spaces to herd people…

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I’m kind of the opposite. I grew up in a very old city (at least 450AD as a known settlement, with evidence of large scale habitation in the area well before that). I’m comfortable around old stone, trees, grass, open space: canyons of ultramodern, clinical buildings make me nervous. You build spaces for people, people will live in it. You make spaces to herd people…

Fair enough - the Empire easily has the silliest wardrobe in their galaxy 😆 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spoiler
On 11/24/2022 at 5:44 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

If there's a mystery - and another piece of fine acting - it's Luthen. As someone who operates from the shadows, at arm's length, he's never really seen the kind of fight he's fomenting up close and personal. Is he having second thoughts?

 

My take on this during the viewing was that he was caught off guard by just how ready the people on Ferrix were to stand up and fight. Everyone (ISB and Rebels) were so fixated on getting Cassian that they missed the insurgency ready to burst. So when things got loud, he realized his original plan to silence Cassian had gone sideways but a whole new opportunity had opened up before his eyes.

 

The only problem was he was too close to the fire. Not much having second thoughts as much as concerns about personal security. We already saw one close call, and a riot in the streets was likely to bring a lot more attention to Ferrix. Time to fly.

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2022 at 3:26 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

The ultra-clean, white-on-white thing representing fascism - as seen in the conf room and the lab(?) early on is also very Lucas...

It long predates Lucas in sci-fi, because big clean white rooms  are often used - or at least "were used" - to indicate some kind of futurism, think 2001 and the original Doctor Who TARDIS control room (there's probably lots of other examples if you look around too; the clip of the Hitchhiker's Guide movie on the first page has a lot f that too).

_____________________________

Hi, I'm Clave Dark 5!  You may remember me from such characters as King Pumpkin Spice, Stupid Like A Fox, Capt Sam's Space Zoo, The Pink Bamfer, Trash Ghost, Maid Of Metal... as well as a few really stupid AE arcs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, that kinda goes right the way back.

 

Metropolis, Gold (about the last German SF movie before the Nazis banned it), the Flash Gordon serials, quite a few others. 

 

Oh, and HG Wells' Things To Come, which...

...well, better novelist than a screenwriter, let's put it that way. It's not for everyone (looking at you, JKR.)

But you might spot a few influences that little movie's had.

 

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...