Developer-Set prices for crafting components

DrunkFlux

So I had an arguement with some people in help and while one person being erroneous about prices wouldn't be so bothersome, multiple people spreading misinformation bothers me to no end.  They made claims the prices were far, far higher(like millions for rares).  So I wanted to clear up some things:

Crafting components are seeded(corrected, this is a far better word) to prevent hyper-inflation.  Prices are about 10k(average price remains usually 500, occasionally hitting 1000) for common, 50k for uncommon(average tends towards 5-10k) and 1 million(though average tends towards 500k) for Rare.

If the purchase isn't going immediately it's because other people are bidding for the same or higher then those(though if same, may take a lot of people bidding?).  Bidding for higher then that will get you the components instantly, but your effectively wasting influence doing so.  Anyone who claims the prices are higher either have not been on homecoming during it's first days, or is lying.  This is why 90% of the time components are usually less than the prices listed above.

Edit: So I was actually wrong to a degree; price for rare is 1 million as the cap.  That said, rather than remove this post, I'll keep it here; the prices were being exaggerated significantly higher than some of the people in chat.

Edited by DrunkFlux
Edit: Turns out I was wrong......now I hate myself for this.

Seeded prices are 10k for common, 100k for uncommon, and 1 mil for rare. But the market has them going for far less than that, at the prices you mention.

29 minutes ago, DrunkFlux said:

So I had an arguement with some people in help and while one person being erroneous about prices wouldn't be so bothersome, multiple people spreading misinformation bothers me to no end.  They made claims the prices were far, far higher(like millions for rares).  So I wanted to clear up some things:

Crafting components have a soft-cap to prevent hyper-inflation.  Prices are about 500 for common, 5k for uncommon and 500k for Rare.

If the purchase isn't going immediately it's because other people are bidding for the same or higher then that.  bidding for higher then that will get you the components instantly, but your effectively wasting influence doing so.  Anyone who claims the prices are higher either have not been on homecoming during it's first days, or is lying.  This is why 90% of the time components are usually less than the prices listed above.

• Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

for reference, it's mentioned in the first post.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I witnessed your argument in Help, but didn't have the time or motivation to butt in!

@Bopper mentions the prices at which items are seeded.  Please note that this seeding was done a long time ago, and is the functional equivalent of you or me offering a million blocks of 10 each of the various rarities of salvage (and other items too, but salvage is what we're looking at here.)  The devs don't increase supply or adjust prices due to market conditions.  Just think of it as one of your fellow players having offered large blocks of these items at high prices and just letting it sit there.

Who run Bartertown?

59 minutes ago, Bopper said:

for reference, it's mentioned in the first post.

Ok, I will make some corrections, they were still saying it was well more then that, but seems both sides were wrong here; at least one of them was claiming it was well over a million :/.

Now I admit, i'm even angrier at myself for this mistake.

Edited by DrunkFlux

On 5/28/2022 at 4:48 PM, DrunkFlux said:

If the purchase isn't going immediately it's because other people are bidding for the same or higher then those.

If the purchase isn't going through immediately, it can be a couple of things ....

1) it's because you are bidding below the price of the lowest price of available stock on the market.

Example. You bid 500. The lowest price on the market is 600.

You're bid won't go through until someone places the item on the market at or below 500 -and- no one is bidding more than 500 for the item -and- when your turn happens among all the other people that are also bidding 500 for the item

2) How busy is the market?

If it is very busy time in the market, it will take long for your trades to get processed.

3) People can and do pay more than they need to pay for items ... intentionally.

They can be doing it to make the sale go through quickly - like you are implying.

They can be doing it because they don't know how much the lowest price that the might be able to get item for.

4) and other stuff that I won't divulge because ....

looney-tunes-speedy-gonzales.gif

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

37 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

37 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

If the purchase isn't going through immediately, it can be a couple of things ....

1) it's because you are bidding below the price of the lowest price of available stock on the market.

Example. You bid 500. The lowest price on the market is 600.

You're bid won't go through until someone places the item on the market at or below 500 -and- no one is bidding more than 500 for the item -and- when your turn happens among all the other people that are also bidding 500 for the item

2) How busy is the market?

If it is very busy time in the market, it will take long for your trades to get processed.

3) People can and do pay more than they need to pay for items ... intentionally.

They can be doing it to make the sale go through quickly - like you are implying.

They can be doing it because they don't know how much the lowest price that the might be able to get item for.

4) and other stuff that I won't divulge because ....

looney-tunes-speedy-gonzales.gif

Well at the time, my thoughts was also if a lot of people make the same bid I was thinking it cannot immediately process them, honestly maybe or maybe not on that(do we know for sure if say, 20 people all make the bids at the same time and price?  or a few hundred?, probably wasn't the case for me though).  Honestly it's not the end of the world for a bid to not immedietly go through, on work days prices tend to be more stable than on weekends, which is when I normally mess with the auction house; I am on an odd schedule and I actually work a weekend day, and two of my days are off during the normal work week.  This changes the market a bit for me.

The way the *rules* read is that if you put in a bid, and it doesn't transact, that is because there isn't any supply offered at or below your price *and/or there is no one bidding higher".

Now, there is some transaction time that I have noticed.  For the most part it's pretty negligible, but when you are buying or selling (or both!) large quantities of items, it adds up.  Essentially the /AH is a big accounting spreadsheet that is trying to match up buyers and sellers, but when it gets busy you can smell burnt fur from the hamsters as they are trying to keep up.

A very loose guideline I've noticed is that it seems to me to take a little less than a second to transact one item.  I'm not attaching any significance to that amount of time, and it may be longer or shorter but that's certainly well within an order of magnitude.  And it's sure as shooting not instant.  If it's the sort of thing that stacks (like salvage), it's about that amount of time per block of ten, slightly more when it ends up splitting blocks up.  Now, I have no idea if the /AH works on cycles of about a second and clears transactions on that schedule, or if when it bogs down it takes that long for the wheels to spin and the cards to shuffle.

If you are bored and have some inf to waste, you can test this out yourself.  We know for a fact that there are approximately ten million pieces of common salvage offered for sale at 10,000, so you are guaranteed to buy plenty at that level.  Take a character with 100 empty /AH slots and put in a 100 bids for 10x inanimate carbon rods at 10,000 inf apiece, and time how long it takes to transact.  I've done exactly this in the past and honestly don't remember what I came up with time-wise but it's a couple of minutes I think.

Who run Bartertown?

59 minutes ago, DrunkFlux said:

on work days prices tend to be more stable than on weekends

I don't get to game much on weekends.

That's just passive wealth gaining time.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ac82f81e31c887bbc

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Here's the thing about the Help channel, from my perspective. 

Certain players are noted for their knowledge. Bionic Flea comes to mind. There was a time when his voice was very active over the help channel, often selflessly going out of his way to verify various tidbits of knowledge if he wasn't 100% certain. 

And then there are other players who give well-intentioned, but false statements. Others may give well-intentioned half-true statements. 

This whole mess about shards vs threads. I could elaborate, but that is not the purpose of this thread. 

And some folks, I dare say, are giving knowingly false statements when it comes to the market, either because we can't detect sarcasm the way they've worded things, or it suits their purpose, as they may have some figurative skin in the game. 

In a few cases, I suspect they're just trolling someone, trying to get a reaction. <shrug>