Revive Galaxy City

The destruction of Galaxy City was the scout wave from Battalion to the best of my knowledge. So unless the HC team isn't going to do the Battalion bit, I'd say leave Galaxy City alone until after Battalion has appeared and been defeated.

Edit: Or build it up as a Battalion forces combat area after Battalion has had his bit started.

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 1

Or completely forget that horrid Battalion storyline, which was just there to keep people paying VIP so they had access to the Incarnate trees they were going to expand ad infinitum.

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

There were 10 incarnate slots planned. And though I'm not particularly attached to the Battalion bit, it has already been referenced in current content. So I would like to see it completed.

If it is to be abandoned though? I still say build it up as a Neo-Shivan force combat area. Possibly a neutral zone where blue and red siders can fight the Neo-Shivans as per the RWZ. I hate to see established lore just thrown out.

Edit: And since the 1st slot you can unlock is Alpha and the 10th is Omega, I really don't see the incarnate content as being expanded beyond that if the game had not been shut down.

Edited by Rudra

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

There were 10 incarnate slots planned. And though I'm not particularly attached to the Battalion bit, it has already been referenced in current content. So I would like to see it completed.

If it is to be abandoned though? I still say build it up as a Neo-Shivan force combat area. Possibly a neutral zone where blue and red siders can fight the Neo-Shivans as per the RWZ. I hate to see established lore just thrown out.

Edit: And since the 1st slot you can unlock is Alpha and the 10th is Omega, I really don't see the incarnate content as being expanded beyond that if the game had not been shut down.

Nope. Think it was in an AMA. The trees were planned (very roughly) to be expanded beyond those ten. Dealing with Prometheus's sort, then whatever's above that, if I'm recalling it properly. Though, I don't *think* any beyond the next tier were given anything more than names, if that.

(Plus there's plenty of content that's been referenced and completely dropped. Blood of the Black Stream is probably the most referenced, with Gadzul Oil mentioned in Mr. Bocor's arc and I believe one other - with graphical easter eggs as well, if you look at the partially sunk tanker in Oakes - the Eye of Horus the spill forms is part of it.)

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Don't know what AMA is. Sorry. So I guess I'll just have to take your word for it. And while content may have been referenced and dropped, I would still prefer we maintain lore. Just like I said I would like to see it completed in my previous post, but made no other arguments about it.

If the lore is to be abandoned though, I still see no reason why it could not be built up as a RWZ-style Neo-Shivan combat area. The Neo-Shivans are an interesting group. Especially with their conflict with the Shivans. Who I think actually work with the players to some extent in a mission/arc... it's the one with the giant Neo-Shivan that duplicates or something like that? It's been a while since I did that, so apologies if I am getting anything wrong here.

The possibility of taking that mission and making it a zone sounds like fun to me. That is just me though.

Other than what I have posted though? I don't care. I have my preferences, but that is all they are.

I agree, put GC back the way it was.   Let's be honest, the Battalion story line is never going to be completed.   I'd love to start a new character and actually enjoy myself doing lowbie content.  I always found AP annoying to get around in.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I'm not opposed to the idea, I doubt that Galaxy City will be reintroduced - either as it was or as a new zone. The HC devs are on-record is not wanting to undo anything that occurred before sunset if at all possible (aside from particularly egregious things, like tweaking the Red Widow arc). The complete annihilation Galaxy City via the Neo-Shivan attack was a pretty big, deliberate choice by the Live Devs and undoing that would be a pretty huge step, for... frankly not much benefit. Galaxy was taken out in the first place in an attempt to streamline starting content on Blueside, and what starting content there is currently in Atlas doesn't even get run that much unless someone especially wants to. Tossing Galaxy City back in as it was would just make it become another hub for DFB groups (except they'd be even harder to fill, since they'd be splitting the population between Atlas and Galaxy).

On the other side, turning it into a Neo-Shivan Combat Zone would take a ton of effort. New mission content, likely as not a new task force, not to mention actually designing and populating the zone. And what level-range would it be? An alternate to Steel Canyon? How much new content would they need to make to have the investment be worthwhile? Or would people be satisfied if it was just a repeatable contact with Neo-Shivan stuff, like how RWZ and Dark Astoria end up once you've finished the arcs? Making a massive revamp of Galaxy just seems like it'd be a mountain of work to end up with yet another Blueside hazard zone that's empty 90% of the time. Sure, it might get heavy traffic when it first dropped, but would it stay that way?

This is all just supposition on my part, of course. I've got no idea what all the HC Devs have planned or are able to build with the new mission editing and costume creation stuff they've been working on. I don't think it's likely that they'll just drop huge zone revamps on people's heads, but I can't say it's impossible. xD Leaving things as they are though, with Galaxy City accessible through Ouro, allows the folks who want to roam it free opportunity to do so without either putting in tons of work for little benefit, or further dividing an already limited player population.

Edited by El D
  • Thumbs Up 2

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

New mission and costume creation stuff they've been working on?

Intrigue.

I had a soft spot for Galaxy and Statesman.  Narratively two pointless acts of destruction.  ('BOOOOO to Wade.')  Lay waste to your 'other' starter zone and then kill your main IP.  

They brought Superman back to life...

Azrael.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/28/2022 at 4:07 PM, Greycat said:

Or completely forget that horrid Battalion storyline, which was just there to keep people paying VIP so they had access to the Incarnate trees they were going to expand ad infinitum.

The old Coming Storm that never came. The Devs back then really lost grasp on what players wanted, that's for sure. Praetoria fatigue and the constant alluding to the Storm. Give me a break. I am also in the camp that would be happy not to see this happen. I also don't want to see time spent on old assets and heavily involving the old game in new updates (like bringing back Galaxy City and having to explain and devote time and assets to it).

The HC team seems to have artistic license with the game. Get creative and fun, team! 🙂

Edited by BurtHutt

I think galaxy city should remain destroyed and become another co-op zone as others have mentioned.

My personal take would be a lvl 50 zone and the shivans/neo shivans would be from lvl 50 to lvl 54+2.  The missions would be themed around regaining control of the area and pushing the shivans back.  I would incorporate the sirens call hotspot battles and recluses victory segmented zone control but in a co-op pve player versus shivan format.  Holding more of the zone gives buffs in the missions and the....dun, dun, dunnnnnn.....itrial!

A new itrial where you finally get to give the giant shivan the beatdown it deserves.  Enemies here may be 54+4 or potentially even more powerful.  Bring in all the giant shivan's buddies,  give them some new powers,  drop some new loot.  Maybe a new IO set or the next upgrade after d-sync.  Make sure you hold a large portion of the zone before you attempt to take down the giant shivan though or you may find the battle is too difficult.  Of course with great difficulty comes great rewards and some players may wish to challenge the giant shivan at its full strength.  Never fear if the zone is already under control when you want to attempt a hardmode run,  the challenge settings will let you choose to run the trial as if less of the zone is controlled.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, TheZag said:

I think galaxy city should remain destroyed and become another co-op zone as others have mentioned.

My personal take would be a lvl 50 zone and the shivans/neo shivans would be from lvl 50 to lvl 54+2.  The missions would be themed around regaining control of the area and pushing the shivans back.  I would incorporate the sirens call hotspot battles and recluses victory segmented zone control but in a co-op pve player versus shivan format.  Holding more of the zone gives buffs in the missions and the....dun, dun, dunnnnnn.....itrial!

A new itrial where you finally get to give the giant shivan the beatdown it deserves.  Enemies here may be 54+4 or potentially even more powerful.  Bring in all the giant shivan's buddies,  give them some new powers,  drop some new loot.  Maybe a new IO set or the next upgrade after d-sync.  Make sure you hold a large portion of the zone before you attempt to take down the giant shivan though or you may find the battle is too difficult.  Of course with great difficulty comes great rewards and some players may wish to challenge the giant shivan at its full strength.  Never fear if the zone is already under control when you want to attempt a hardmode run,  the challenge settings will let you choose to run the trial as if less of the zone is controlled.

I'd like to expand on that and add Mixed Primal/Praetorian enemy groups at level 50 such as a Primal Syndicate, Destroyers teamed up with trolls. Crusader Resistance with crab backpacks, Warden Resistance with DUST Weaponry, Longbow Colored TEST Rangers, DUST and Longbow Defense Rangers fighting against Arachnos. Just saying :P

Edited by Panthonca7034

On 5/29/2022 at 12:20 AM, El D said:

On the other side, turning it into a Neo-Shivan Combat Zone would take a ton of effort. New mission content, likely as not a new task force, not to mention actually designing and populating the zone. And what level-range would it be? An alternate to Steel Canyon? How much new content would they need to make to have the investment be worthwhile? Or would people be satisfied if it was just a repeatable contact with Neo-Shivan stuff, like how RWZ and Dark Astoria end up once you've finished the arcs? Making a massive revamp of Galaxy just seems like it'd be a mountain of work to end up with yet another Blueside hazard zone that's empty 90% of the time. Sure, it might get heavy traffic when it first dropped, but would it stay that way?

This is an important thing to take into consideration.  But what if you could prevent it from becoming that empty blue side hazard zone.  Content generates short-term interest, like it or not.  Story Arcs, Missions and badges all generate temporary interest.  What generates long-term interest is reward or function.  Atlas is crowded because it is where all newbies start now and has always functioned as the social hub of the game.  That said if you go on several of the other HC servers you will find Atlas a relative ghost town as well.  The same goes for other non-HC servers (but that a separate thing).  There are a lot of people on Ouroboros because Incarnate stuff forms there.  PI has crowds over by portal Corp because of end game mission running.

But if you break the "phases" of the game up you have beginners who are running DFB and low level content in and from AP, then from there its straggler work in Hollows or Faultline and TF missions rolling out of SC and Skyway but its in and out.  Similarly from the 20 to 30 range its running around doing TFs in Talos or IP.  Then its FF and Bricks until finally Peregrine.  Now what if you did as many have said and brought back GC as a cooperative hazard-like zone, in the late twenties to mid to late thirties range where there was something that allowed for a continual maintenance of interest.  At level 25/26 is when IO enhancements at that level meet and start to exceed the benefits from SO's maybe its the perfect place to create some sort of improved drop rate window for IO recipes and salvage (like finding components in the wreckage) to help characters jump start changing out DOs and SOs with IOs as well as stimulate crafting.  Or maybe create scenarios for greater drop chances for Set IOs at that level range.  You couple that with a a Mid level trial akin to DFB that lets you work in components of the Shivans to establish soft content faster leveling rather than just farming to grind up.  Maybe a better iteration of the buff enhancement rewards of the DFB.  I mean after all, a lot of people simply run a DFB 4 times so they have the buffs before doing harder content.

This is just spitballing here.  My fondness for GC is ground in what it was on live before it was destroyed, I always started in GC not AP.  But it would make for viable and cogent content to come back as a danger zone thats not as stupid as Boomtown (big, flat and boring except for Goliaths) but not as annoying (from a travel standpoint) as Faultline.

• Thumbs Up 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

• 1 year later

Personally, I'd be a for opening the ruined Galaxy City up as a high-level hazard zone. The map's already there, or at least part of it is, as seen in the final missions of Twinshot's and Dr. Graves' respective second arcs. All it'd take is add something going on, likely involving a large-scale battle against the Shivans not unlike what we got in the RWZ... and maybe some Incarnate arc, but I can't say much on that topic.

• 6 months later
On 7/14/2023 at 10:49 AM, Vic Raiden said:

Personally, I'd be a for opening the ruined Galaxy City up as a high-level hazard zone. The map's already there, or at least part of it is, as seen in the final missions of Twinshot's and Dr. Graves' respective second arcs. All it'd take is add something going on, likely involving a large-scale battle against the Shivans not unlike what we got in the RWZ... and maybe some Incarnate arc, but I can't say much on that topic.

I second this. It would be outstanding to bring it back as a hazard zone dealing with post-meteor strike, Neo-Shivan cleanup! 

After visiting during Dr. Graves' arc, I headed straight over there on my hero wondering if they had opened it up at some point, and was disappointed to see the doors shut and the door NPC saying the meteor strike was still in progress. Considering it's a legacy zone that some long term players have a ton of love and nostalgia for (esp if they got it as their starting city), it really does feel disappointing we never got to take it back in some form. 

• Like 1

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

Just my 2 inf, if some evolution of Galaxy city were to happen, the way I'd do it is release it as New Galaxy City, and make it parts of ruined Galaxy City that have been repurposed (graphics and lore) as part of a new moon base, as a hub for new space content. 🙂