PVP or where on the doll did the PvPers touch you

2 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

So you're saying Arena matches are different than a PvP zone? Of course! I said so myself in a previous post. Semantics gets me in trouble sometimes 😆 

What are you talking about?  I was discussing the difference between "Open PvP" and "Closed PvP".

58 minutes ago, biostem said:

What are you talking about?  I was discussing the difference between "Open PvP" and "Closed PvP".

I think he's confused because it's a meaningless distinction. The league, for example, was open to anyone. Now that it's underway, you can't join this round. A TF has slots for players to join. Once it fills up, those slots are gone. I've never heard anyone in PVE describe a full team as "Closed PvE."

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Did you miss where I said way upthread that I don't care what you do in a PvP zone, since consent is explicit in you going there?  It's non-consensual PvP that's at hand here, since the OP was discussing a PvP event that would be sprung on players in a PvE zone.

If you wanna discuss that proposed event, you can do so in the actual thread. The OP was commenting on the anti-pvp crowd and their attitudes not really making sense. But of course people keep circling back to the original thread. Par for the course.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, battlewraith said:

I think he's confused because it's a meaningless distinction. The league, for example, was open to anyone. Now that it's underway, you can't join this round. A TF has slots for players to join. Once it fills up, those slots are gone. I've never heard anyone in PVE describe a full team as "Closed PvE."

Ah appreciate that clarification! 

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 hour ago, America's Angel said:

There is PvP stuff being worked on super slowly. Open PvP in bases, PvP in AE, and some sort of "Capture the Flag" style thing. But I'm not up to speed on how far along it is.

I just want PvP in bases so I can make a fightclub dojo. :classic_laugh:

Noice! Thanks for the heads up.

On 5/29/2022 at 4:58 AM, The_Warpact said:

I mean seriously are people that frightened of disgusted with pvp that they would rather dismiss it without any kind of discourse

I fixed it for you.

While I like pvp, I understand how others might feel.

Face it some people are simply dicks. Example: Those buffs people apply to folks near Liberty are mostly just to grief people.

Regarding pvp: I am simply disappointed in the continued divergence of the pvp setup from pve which creates a gulf that even the curious can't cross without investing in relearning and potentially rebuilding characters in order to casually participate.

Edited by Troo
i like to edit & spellz bad
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

If I didn't get it the first time and I clearly both reacted to your comment and explicitly stated in a reply asking you explain it again, do you honestly think just linking the previous post that I was asking about is very helpful? 

I can't help it if you don't comprehend a fairly simple concept.  Can anyone just walk up and participate, or is there some sort of application process involved?  If it's the former, then it is "open", if it's the latter, then it's "closed".

3 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

And I'm talking about my definition, not some you or the other poster imagine.  Are you saying that anyone can't just walk up and participate in a TF?  Is there some 3rd party, besides the NPC contact, involved in starting said TF?  If there was some group organizing TFs outside of the game or via other resources, that didn't accept walk-ups, then those instances would be "Closed PvE", by my definition.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, Troo said:

Regarding pvp: I am simply disappointed in the continued divergence of the pvp setup from pve which creates a gulf that even the curious can't cross without investing in relearning and potentially rebuilding characters in order to casually participate.

I hear ya on this. I'm all about lowering the floor to entry, but also maintaining the skill ceiling. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 minute ago, Glacier Peak said:

I hear ya on this. I'm all about lowering the floor to entry, but also maintaining the skill ceiling. 

Add a Signature mode.  Let players select a Signature Hero/Villain/Praetorian and set up team matches against other Signature teams.  The game already has the capability to do that, we're forced to play as something other than our characters in personal stories.  So put it to use as a PvP option.  Balance would be significantly easier, since there are only a handful of Signatures in comparison to the thousands of builds we can make.  Then players who have no idea how to make a PvP build or what's considered good in PvP can dip their toes in and test the waters, in a controlled environment.  Might even be fun for the experienced players.  I'd play it at least a few times.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 minute ago, Luminara said:

Add a Signature mode.  Let players select a Signature Hero/Villain/Praetorian and set up team matches against other Signature teams.  The game already has the capability to do that, we're forced to play as something other than our characters in personal stories.  So put it to use as a PvP option.  Balance would be significantly easier, since there are only a handful of Signatures in comparison to the thousands of builds we can make.  Then players who have no idea how to make a PvP build or what's considered good in PvP can dip their toes in and test the waters, in a controlled environment.  Might even be fun for the experienced players.  I'd play it at least a few times.

dibs on Yin

• Haha 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 minute ago, Luminara said:

This is an amazing idea! If I had any sense of recollection, I could say that I made a suggestion about this a few years ago. Something about how we can play as Tyrant and all those folks during the epilogues of certain storylines, why not create some generic [Tank, Support, Melee, Ranged] 'Signature' characters that folks can just roll with. Definitely a good idea, I want to say I had a similar idea, but maybe I am just misremembering and your idea is so good I want it to be mine lol

Pocket D Zone Tour

53 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Great suggestion.

IIRC there was talk last year of having a few "presets" that players could pick from for readymade builds. But I don't think it progressed beyond just talk. Tying them into signature characters like Recluse or Ms. Liberty would be fantastic. And having extra ones unlockable via PvP matches played? That would be fun. You could even have a progression tree of easier classes unlocking before the harder ones.

Newbies would like it because they could be competitive with hardcore PvPers. And for every 20 newbies, you might get one player who goes "Hmm, I wonder if I remade this in mids and changed XYZ that it might perform better..." and boom you have another PvPer.

Edited by America's Angel
  • Thumbs Up 2

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

• GM Kal locked this topic