There's a Market for Low Number Bases

Dacy

• Community Rep

Hey, just letting people know, if you have a base that you made early on, maybe you made it and never did much with it? There's a market if it's got a low number. The lower the better, 3 digits or less, and especially if it's got an easy to remember aspect to it, like a pattern such as 515, 246, etc. We're well into 5 digit numbers, and just saying, if you're not using a base with a low number, there are people who'd very much like to have that number, and some who are willing to pay large sums of influence for it. If you have a low number base you'd like to let someone else do something with, please reply to this topic so that anyone interested can see.

Seems like we should have a system that puts the numbers no longer being used back into circulation so we don't end up with eventually 6 digit codes.

I asked a gm if it was possible to recycle those early base numbers, especially from people who had been banned and would have no chance of returning to reclaim their base. Their response was the base numbers are generated automatically and thus low numbered bases cannot be reclaimed as the auto generator doesn't go backwards. 

On 5/31/2022 at 2:09 AM, PotatoLove said:

In other news, if some one reads this and is interested in selling a base with a base code with a 4 digit code or lower for in game influence, please feel free to contact me here or in game @faverty industries 

Since bases are shard-specific, you should indicate which shard you would want the base on.

Unless you're on all shards and open to any of them.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 5/31/2022 at 1:06 AM, PotatoLove said:

I asked a gm if it was possible to recycle those early base numbers, especially from people who had been banned and would have no chance of returning to reclaim their base. Their response was the base numbers are generated automatically and thus low numbered bases cannot be reclaimed as the auto generator doesn't go backwards. 

This is likely true, without changes to the code which does this. I imagine it would be possible at some level of effort, for that code to be altered to create and maintain a list of all base numbers in use, and when a new number is required, use the lowest one which is currently not in use. This may sound simple, but I'm also sure it's not. That list would have to be managed, updated when an SG loses its last member (another place in old code that would need to be worked on, with all the accompanying risk), stored in a database structure somewhere, and maintained through restarts, backups, and reloads, and so on.

15 hours ago, PotatoLove said:

True, but this is an everlasting specific thread.

So it is.  I read 8 or 10 sections of the forum regularly and completely overlooked this fact.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

15 minutes ago, Andreah said:

This is likely true, without changes to the code which does this. I imagine it would be possible at some level of effort, for that code to be altered to create and maintain a list of all base numbers in use, and when a new number is required, use the lowest one which is currently not in use. This may sound simple, but I'm also sure it's not.

It's not.  I've written a number of relational database applications and it's so not worth it.  It's additional code and if there's any error or unpredictable behavior, you can end up overwriting someones base.  That would not be popular.

• Community Rep

I did actually check with a GM on this. Pretty much a big no, the team does not want to mess with it. I was rather hoping there was a way to at least see what bases HAD been created and who created them, but there does not seem to be a way even to do that.  Of course, that's not the only complication to that, so, guess we just have to depend on people who are still around who remember that they have a low number base that's just going to waste.

-Dacy

59 minutes ago, Dacy said:

I did actually check with a GM on this. Pretty much a big no, the team does not want to mess with it. I was rather hoping there was a way to at least see what bases HAD been created and who created them, but there does not seem to be a way even to do that.  Of course, that's not the only complication to that, so, guess we just have to depend on people who are still around who remember that they have a low number base that's just going to waste.

-Dacy

You can figure it out if you are willing to work through the tedium. Here's the first seven numbers:

image.png.fc37e672e09580f53b9b0f848a71eb8c.png

As you can see, on Everlasting, the codes 1, 2, and 6 are not currently in use.

Just try some random alpha and the code with /enterbasefrompasscode, and see what you get as an error.

I suppose it's possible you might guess some's entry code doing this, but I kind of doubt it.

• Community Rep

That is pretty awesome, tho tedious. But hey, I'm a base builder, tedious is not that big a  deal...theoretically. 🙂 The base code itself does not help, I need to know whose base it is, sadly. Currently there's no system in place of identifying who owns or who made a base, and I wish there were.

-Dacy