Hurricane (from Storm Summoning) making people physically ill?

Hurricane (from Storm Summoning) making people physically ill?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get nauseated/queasy/... by looking at Hurricane?

• yes, very, I actually have to leave teams with heavy hurricane users: it's that bad for me!
    • yes, but it's not too bad, I can cope...
    • no, what are you talking about?

On 6/1/2022 at 1:01 AM, Omega Force said:

Ugh, that sounds awful.  My wife tried to play back in the day, but something about the camerawork made her sick, too.  Inshallah someone can make a low vertigo mod for you, similiar to how you can replace certain costume pieces.

After a while, the 'auto-turning' of the camera starts making me feel queasy.   Is there a way of turning the auto camera turning off?

And some of the motions and particle fx up close are too much even after a short while.  It must be why I tend to pull my camera view out at distance somewhat.  (I used to play 'over the shoulder.')

I've found I can't farm as intensely as I used to.  And the culprit seems to be lots of fire farm particles, flashing lights etc.  So I guess the 1st step is to take more breaks from play, limit my sessions and take the particle slider right down.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

On 5/31/2022 at 4:21 PM, Tuft said:

Well, I'm one of the few that suffers from this.

When the rotating spinning disk occupies a large portion of my field of view I get vertigo and experience motion sickness. If it keeps occurring it can finally become so bad that I have to go and lie down motionless with my eyes closed for several hours.

I once played a TF, I think it was Citadel or perhaps Hess, when I played a tank and a storm defender kept enveloping me in the rotating disk. I was still pretty fresh to HC, so I did not speak up and instead tried to toughen it out. Well, I got a really bad case of motion sickness and I was still queasy the next morning, bad enough that I had problems getting to work that day.

Its not the only FX that can induce vertigo: When they revamped Disruption Arrow the HC Devs asked me try out various options, until they finally found something that did not give me vertigo, which I am very grateful for. 🙂

I've come to be far more understanding of this issue as it came to affect me.  (Human nature.)

I was certainly one of the 1st to mention Sonic disruption arrow giving me nausea (the revamp to trick arrow was pending and I gave my feedback.)

I drew the comparisons to sonic on live (even though it didn't affect me at the time.)  I didn't take the sonic dis' arrow when I was duoing on HC.  My Duo partner didn't think it was 'that bad.'  I told them I couldn't team with that power selection (we were going for a dual concept at the time.)  In the end they didn't use that power.  I just didn't take it.  And I stopped doing Longbow missions that featured it.

It didn't affect them.  It did affect me.  In the end, they compromised.  There's no point having an unhappy player.  If someone suffers from particles, farming too long, motion sickness from playing CoH too long or Hurricane.  I take them at their word.  I'm glad the developers are laser focused on inclusivity and responded well to user feedback.  And there are options in game, I hadn't thought of, to minimise my own malaise and applying some common sense to my CoH habits.

I think the last I saw of the Sonic Arrow, it's a veryyyyyy slow pulse outward.  (I'da been happier if it was just a static set of circles but it was much improved from the pulsing effect of yore.

It's not the only power that had pulses.  Some of the self buff powers for blasters have them eg. Stone blaster, Elec Blaster.  Something about those fast pulse outwards rubs me the wrong way.  I wish I could just turn them off.  I've tried with the colours to make the effect less bright.  I'll try with the particle count next or turn the graphics down to a very basic setting to maybe they don't show at all.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

I ran a few missions last night with Hurricane on (about 20 minutes total), using the default power color. I definitely felt the onset of motion sickness but it didn't get above the 'mild headache' stage. I may try another test with the power colored brightly. Given the relative mildness of the symptoms, and the fact that I rarely ever use Hurricane under normal play conditions, I voted 'Yes, but I can cope'.

EDIT: For those that might be interested in exploring if a mod can be made to alleviate some of the issue client-side, there's a nice forum guide on texture modding that details the process. 

Edited by AboveTheChemist
added link to texture mod guide

I can certainly sympathize: my wife suffered from migraines and the triggers were many and varied.

Can you try:

/bind KEY "SuppressCloseFX 1$$SuppressCloseFXdist 300"

And see if that helps any?

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

17 hours ago, arcane said:

I got physically ill thinking about noob stormies that think Hurricane should be toggled on 24/7 - is that what this thread is about

I have seen at least 3 different storm-players with hurricane on for the entire mission/TF because they were "tanking" (on multiple occasions). As the team did not have a tank, it made sense and they were very successful in keeping mobs together and herding. Forcing somebody to switch toon so we can have the "holy trinity" is not what I would want to force people to do (especially when doing WST)... Just yesterday we did a very successful Moonfire with 3 Scrappers, 1 MM, 1 Defender, 1 Controller, 2 Blaster... no Tank, no Brute. Hurricane can tank (actually herd) some content if the player knows what (s)he is doing. (Of course tanking a Magisterium with Hurrican, makes little sense)

Doing things in non-standard ways is actually fun to me: thinking outside the box. 😉

6 hours ago, Spectral said:

I have seen at least 3 different storm-players with hurricane on for the entire mission/TF because they were "tanking" (on multiple occasions). As the team did not have a tank, it made sense and they were very successful in keeping mobs together and herding. Forcing somebody to switch toon so we can have the "holy trinity" is not what I would want to force people to do (especially when doing WST)... Just yesterday we did a very successful Moonfire with 3 Scrappers, 1 MM, 1 Defender, 1 Controller, 2 Blaster... no Tank, no Brute. Hurricane can tank (actually herd) some content if the player knows what (s)he is doing. (Of course tanking a Magisterium with Hurrican, makes little sense)

Doing things in non-standard ways is actually fun to me: thinking outside the box. 😉

Sure, you can run it all the time if you really know what you’re doing AND your team is on board with playing that way. Hurricane herding will not cut it for my group that tries to do KM ITF’s in 25 minutes and always has a tank and at least one kin. 

For most team applications? Turn it on for AV’s or if overwhelmed or even skip it. Certainly don’t jump right into melee with it.

Edited by arcane

• Game Master

Certain things make me nauseous and give me migraines. Usually it's because it causes a disconnect between my eyes and inner ear. Being on a boat or plane does it. I have to have a window seat so I can see outside, or go on deck so I can see the water so the signals match then it goes away. Games, I can't play first person at all. Ten minutes and I'm throwing up and need a lie down in a dark room for a few hours.  The camera shake on CoX does it, as does speed boost in tight places. Council maps and purple caves can make me feel queasy. I can't say I've experienced any teams with hurricane so I can't comment on how it affects me, but the weirdest things can trigger an adverse reaction in the brain and it's totally valid to want to avoid it.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:14 AM, AboveTheChemist said:

I ran a few missions last night with Hurricane on (about 20 minutes total), using the default power color. I definitely felt the onset of motion sickness but it didn't get above the 'mild headache' stage. I may try another test with the power colored brightly. Given the relative mildness of the symptoms, and the fact that I rarely ever use Hurricane under normal play conditions, I voted 'Yes, but I can cope'.

EDIT: For those that might be interested in exploring if a mod can be made to alleviate some of the issue client-side, there's a nice forum guide on texture modding that details the process. 

OH, I wonder if setting it to something Really dark would be of any benefit when combined with everything else mentioned?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 6/3/2022 at 3:24 PM, GM Crumpet said:

Certain things make me nauseous and give me migraines. Usually it's because it causes a disconnect between my eyes and inner ear. Being on a boat or plane does it. I have to have a window seat so I can see outside, or go on deck so I can see the water so the signals match then it goes away. Games, I can't play first person at all. Ten minutes and I'm throwing up and need a lie down in a dark room for a few hours.  The camera shake on CoX does it, as does speed boost in tight places. Council maps and purple caves can make me feel queasy. I can't say I've experienced any teams with hurricane so I can't comment on how it affects me, but the weirdest things can trigger an adverse reaction in the brain and it's totally valid to want to avoid it.

True, but I think when it comes to the idea of changing things, some don't want to see what they like change.  

I know I hate the animation change to Energy Transfer back with Paragon Studios.  Made me hate the set.  So, there may be those who think the only way to change Hurricane is something akin to that.

As the power itself, I never saw the reason to just keep it toggled on in group play unless there were a lot of stormies around.

Somehow this anti-hurricane thread seems a bit absurd to me, if people get sick from hurricane, I am sure the water based effects and plenty of other power graphics would be just as torturous...

I think, if you reduce your FX graphics drawing in the options menu, it may solve this problem, if you have this medical issue

Sue

I'm curious if Dramamine helps the people who have issues with motion sickness while gaming. Not that I'm advocating that people have to drug themselves.

Personally if possible I'd recommend localized animation replacers for people to toggle on when offended by power animations. Similar to making a character immune to group fly via Null the Gull.

Otherwise I do have a character that uses hurricane, whirlwind, and conductive aura that I imagine after reading this thread could cause people issues, but my god is it effective when you fold space a large group into a corner.

22 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I'm curious if Dramamine helps the people who have issues with motion sickness while gaming.

Dramamine usually helps with my travel-induced motion sickness, but I've never tried it for gaming. Partly because most day-to-day gaming doesn't induce motion sickness, and partly because I avoid taking medication unless it is absolutely 100% necessary. If I ever bite the bullet and decide to make a serious run at the ski run badges, though, I'll keep the Dramamine in mind!

I've never had any issues with other peoples animations or auras. It was only after somewhat prolonged exposure to my own Hurricane power that I started to notice the early signs of motion sickness.

I had this issue with Whirlwind. 
Took me a bit to figure it out. Had no clue at first.. 
I brought it up.. players complained about my complaint.. Minimized the issue.. 
I respected out of it

On 6/6/2022 at 9:13 AM, MsSmart said:

Somehow this anti-hurricane thread seems a bit absurd to me, if people get sick from hurricane, I am sure the water based effects and plenty of other power graphics would be just as torturous...

You would be wrong. Certain effects affect people differently. People can be perfectly fine with 99.9% of the powers, normal and recolored, in game and have just *that one* that affects them.

And no, the thread is not "absurd." See our GM's reply.

22 minutes ago, plainguy said:

I brought it up.. players complained about my complaint.. Minimized the issue.. 
I respected out of it

If a certain graphic or effect is affecting you, what other players think is irrelevant. Let the team know.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• Retired Developer
1 hour ago, Greycat said:

If a certain graphic or effect is affecting you, what other players think is irrelevant. Let the team know.

This is what issues like this boil down to.

The development time and number of people affected are almost irrelevant to us provided the reports are honest so the voting and arguing in these types of threads is also a waste of time to participate in.

There are better solutions out there that don't have to involve just changing a power's visuals, which despite being the most obvious and easiest thing to do, nobody wants to have to do, including the people it affects.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Naomi said:

There are better solutions out there that don't have to involve just changing a power's visuals, which despite being the most obvious and easiest thing to do, nobody wants to have to do, including the people it affects.

Explain all the options please.

You don't have to include the obvious like not creating characters with powers that affect you negatively or to leave teams with players with the offending powers or color selections.

It isn't the entirety of the game that people are having issues with.

It's just certain power FX, default color selection on ice and hurricane, and other players selection of bright colors.

noparticles goes a long way to get rid of the overpowering graphics.

I would think that if there are similar things to handle the players side view of those offensive powers and could dull the brightest colors (and force add some coloring to what is seen as white) that it would be very useful to some players.

As a DEV you pick what to fix or add to the game. No finger pointing involved. I'm glad for that the DEV team does.

But please do explain the options we have to change the power SFX and brightness of colors other people select for their powers.

I have seen a good number of posts on this and players are looking for solutions.

• Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I think the comment is more that the devs have other options to mitigate the problem other than to just change the power. I may be wrong, but that is how I read that post.

Edit: Well... other solutions, not options. However, I am curious as to what those solutions are.

Edited by Rudra

• Retired Developer
2 hours ago, Rudra said:

I think the comment is more that the devs have other options to mitigate the problem other than to just change the power.

This is what I meant, yes.

@UltraAlt If it's just the color or transparency or sound you're having an issue with and not the animation FX, at the moment you can probably mod those textures to take less of a tint of whatever color someone is picking, or picking your own color for it. If this sounds like something that would help as a temporary solution, let me know.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Naomi said:

@UltraAlt If it's just the color or transparency or sound you're having an issue with and not the animation FX, at the moment you can probably mod those textures to take less of a tint of whatever color someone is picking, or picking your own color for it. If this sounds like something that would help as a temporary solution, let me know.

From my extensive talks with Tuft and "the other", the consensus was that Time's Juncture and Whirlpool are ok because of their transparency. Hurricane is a whirling very bright disk that cannot be seen through (even when reducing particles on the user side: it just creates a pulsing effect) and can take up the entire screen: Council caves as Melee AT...

Edited by Spectral
  • Like 1

... minor derail. @Naomi, your avatar/icon makes you look like an Adobe Creative Cloud app. :)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

15 hours ago, Naomi said:

This is what I meant, yes.

I don't want to derail. 
How do you report such an issue? Which forum? 
Whirlwinds was making me nauseous. I had no clue honestly at the time what was going on. I eventually figure out it was basically the spinning of the character. Honestly if the wind effect stayed without the spinning I would be okay as I have no issue with hurricane and it just seems to be a mini hurricane. Null the Gull option would be nice.

On 6/8/2022 at 5:52 PM, Greycat said:

Thank you