LFG is not for conversations

Oklahoman

5 hours ago, biostem said:

As I see it, there are a few ways things can go, here:

1. Mods/GMs/Devs make an official statement on the matter and start enforcing the "proper" use of each official chat channel.

I saw a GM tell people to not use the HELP channel a few weeks ago, unless it was asking for or providing help.

It was after the annoying troll was kicked, and people were going back and forth about it for around 5 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, biostem said:

agree, but if someone is chatting in those channels specifically to get a rise out of people, (i.e. trolling), telling them to take it elsewhere is just the opening they're looking for - watch for calls of you being a channel n@z! or such.  If there was an official policy, then corrective action could be taken...

I haven't had an problems telling people to move to /general. 

Sometimes they complain on the way out, but they move to the /general channel.

You don't scare me by saying that I'm being a channel Nzi for doing what other people want done but aren't willing to do.

There aren't GMs on to monitor the chat channels.

The DEVs created /general because of all the /general chat on /help and /LFG, didn't they? 

They showed their policy in creating the /general channel.

If you want to chat in /LFG or /help you are out of line. It isn't what it is there for.

And don't worry, I use /ignore when I need to, but I'm doing going to stand-up and say something before I have to put someone on /ignore.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

You don't scare me by saying that I'm being a channel Nzi for doing what other people want done but aren't willing to do.

I think you misunderstood what I said.  *I* am not saying I would call you any names or such;  I agree that each channel should be used for its intended purpose.  What I'm saying is that there are people who try and get others to respond to their bad behavior, as a way to try and turn things around on the ones calling them out...

1 hour ago, biostem said:

I think you misunderstood what I said.  *I* am not saying I would call you any names or such;  I agree that each channel should be used for its intended purpose.  What I'm saying is that there are people who try and get others to respond to their bad behavior, as a way to try and turn things around on the ones calling them out...

Of course. This is the behavior of bullies and miscreants.

It shouldn't stop a hero from standing up and defending the City. 

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• 4 weeks later
On 6/9/2022 at 11:39 PM, JJDrakken said:

Folks talk in it, to prove a point they can do what they want.

Thats not always the case.  And Id suggest rarely the case.  Its a social game we all love.  And the player base, we generally enjoy together.  We have common interests in games, heroes, comics, sci fi and fantasy.  Many of us enjoy making witty comments.  I think its as simple as this.  Find some humor in something someone typed and cant stop yourself from hitting ENTER.  I get why some would be annoyed.  Seems minor to me.  Like family getting mad at you for chewing loudly.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later
On 6/3/2022 at 9:44 AM, Oklahoman said:

There, I said it. Let the hate flow.

Look, I've played on other servers and I know their LFG channels aren't nearly as busy as ours on Excelsior. Those servers can tolerate that extremely witty reply you absolutely have to make in response to someone else's typo in an LFG post. In fact, it likely will be welcomed as the first time two messages were posted back-to-back to LFG in, what, days?

On Excelsior, though, we have numerous posts to LFG per minute, pretty much around the clock as far as I can tell. We are fortunate to have a lot of people trying to form groups. Maybe you don't realize how frustrating it is, then, when a conversation breaks out in LFG and our ad scrolls off the screen immediately.

No, I don't "own" any aspect of this game. But asking you to move a conversation to GENERAL or HELP is not some great offense worthy of a nasty /tell.

Anyway, that's the burr in my saddle this morning. How are you?

You have a legit point friend, there are other channels people can use

I'm guilty of talking in whatever chat channel I happen to be on at the time because I usually just type and don't remember to check the channel before hitting "Enter". 

Yeah.

I'm "That Guy".

I try not to be, but in the end, what's the harm?

Will my faux pas be that flap of the butterfly wing which eventually brings about the downfall of humanity?

Perhaps.

One can hope.

Edited by Mopery

What, me worry?

On 6/6/2022 at 10:25 AM, Bionic_Flea said:

I also occasionally feel the need to post that "extremely witty reply you absolutely have to make." 

I concur with this, and it's usually in the wrong channel, but....whoop-dee-doo!!

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Some folks will just never be happy unless people bend a knee to their will.  Example: A couple of nights ago someone was telling a Roll-Player on excelsior to take it to another channel, when it was the General chat channel.  It was all good fun, no one was being rude or doing any harm. but someone got sand in their crotch about it, and had to be the channel police .  If you don't like what you see in a channel, then there is an ignore feature. I use it occasionally, and have probably been subject of the myself.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/26/2022 at 1:00 PM, Mr. Apocalypse said:

Some folks will just never be happy unless people bend a knee to their will.  Example: A couple of nights ago someone was telling a Roll-Player on excelsior to take it to another channel, when it was the General chat channel.  It was all good fun, no one was being rude or doing any harm. but someone got sand in their crotch about it, and had to be the channel police .  If you don't like what you see in a channel, then there is an ignore feature. I use it occasionally, and have probably been subject of the myself.

Difference to "bending the knee" to using a proper chat channel for what it's for.  LFG is for group looking. Be it for missions, trials, TF/SF, etc...

General is general chat, not exactly RP chat, but it's a grey area and that person who told other person to piss off, was not in the right.  Those of us who tell folks to piss off out of LFG, cuz they want to use it as a chat channel/trolling channel, we are in the right.  Those who continue it, don't care, cuz they believe they are more important and their own gratification ranks over others peeps and the general courtesy.

1 hour ago, JJDrakken said:

Difference to "bending the knee" to using a proper chat channel for what it's for.  LFG is for group looking. Be it for missions, trials, TF/SF, etc...

General is general chat, not exactly RP chat, but it's a grey area and that person who told other person to piss off, was not in the right.  Those of us who tell folks to piss off out of LFG, cuz they want to use it as a chat channel/trolling channel, we are in the right.  Those who continue it, don't care, cuz they believe they are more important and their own gratification ranks over others peeps and the general courtesy.

Like I said, there is an ignore feature. Right, Wrong.. who cares. I know I sure don't.  Most often excessive chatting in the wrong channel only becomes a problem when someone starts complaining. Just ignore them and your problems will fade away!  But when people start telling others to go away, is when the unwanted chat will continue for longer than it would have if left alone. At leas that's been my experience over the last 20+ years of playing MMORPGs.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Mr. Apocalypse said:

But when people start telling others to go away, is when the unwanted chat will continue for longer than it would have if left alone. At leas that's been my experience over the last 20+ years of playing MMORPGs.

This has NOT been my experience. Sure, there are the defiant jerks who - when someone tells them to take it to general - will start shouting in LFG about their freedoms and stuff. THOSE are the people I ignore, because I can't imagine a scenario where I would want them on my team or league. But by and large I have found that when someone asks people to move conversations elsewhere, they do.

Consider this little ray of sunshine from the last time I played:

Spoiler

2022-07-26 21:32:05 [Looking For Group] Astro-Monster: <color #010101>speedy speed ITF LFM speedy people
2022-07-26 21:32:10 [Looking For Group] Astro-Monster: <color #010101>but just 1 more
2022-07-26 21:32:16 [Looking For Group] Ohm Hammer: <color #010101>CoP nearly half full!  Come out to Ouro as a 50 to secure your spot for badge, 7 day buff, and 11 quick merits (if I remember right)
2022-07-26 21:32:28 [Looking For Group] Astro-Monster: <color #010101>full ty
2022-07-26 21:32:28 [Looking For Group] Chrystal Fury: IMO...SPeed ITF's are for the guys who like their sex inn 25 seconds, so they dont have to put out any effort....LOL.  The ITF's are about the most fun in the game, more  like sex lasting 2 hours
2022-07-26 21:32:55 [Looking For Group] SteelEcho.: <color #010101>LOL
2022-07-26 21:32:58 [Looking For Group] Aggrophobia: ew
2022-07-26 21:32:58 [Looking For Group] Atomic Fire-Bunny: <color #010101>like sex in prison?
2022-07-26 21:33:07 [Looking For Group] Pastor of Disaster: <color #ff0101><bgcolor #d1ff01>Plus you can use BOTH hands
2022-07-26 21:33:07 [Looking For Group] More Powerful Wizard: If the ITF is the most fun in the game, then the game is in a sad state. 
2022-07-26 21:33:10 [Looking For Group] Tzaranchula: <color #ffffff><bgcolor #340101>Speed ITFs are a fun stress test for your final builds
2022-07-26 21:33:17 [Looking For Group] Chrystal Fury: Don't know....never been to Prison....yet
2022-07-26 21:33:21 [Looking For Group] Mrs Punisher: <color #010101>LF AE Farm to try out incarnate powers
2022-07-26 21:33:24 [Looking For Group] Allie Alexandrite: <color #15d84d><bgcolor #280101>there are a LOT of hot ,sweaty, musclemen on itfs
2022-07-26 21:33:24 [Looking For Group] No. One Special: <color #010101>sex can last 2 hrs?
2022-07-26 21:33:43 [Looking For Group] BAD WIFEY BOO BOOS: lf ae plz  tx
2022-07-26 21:33:51 [Looking For Group] Hell Goat: <color #010101><bgcolor #ff0101>sounds like you've never had sex either, two hours would be awful
2022-07-26 21:34:00 [Looking For Group] Infernal Envoy: <color #4a0101><bgcolor #bc6a01>since when is it guys that cuts things short... intentionally?
2022-07-26 21:34:03 [Looking For Group] Tzaranchula: <color #ffffff><bgcolor #340101>Ugh, the smell
2022-07-26 21:34:10 [Looking For Group] Preconceived Notion: <color #010101>Only an incel would compare a speed run to sex lmao
2022-07-26 21:34:16 [Looking For Group] Screamin' Lil: <color #fe0101><bgcolor #010101>If you are old can take longer then 2 hours
2022-07-26 21:34:22 [Looking For Group] Lady Night Storm: <color #010101>2 hours?  yeah problem is then you have to pee part way through 
2022-07-26 21:34:39 [Looking For Group] Neutrophil: <color #010101>move chat to general please some people can recruit for their teams

And... it stopped. Absent @Neutrophil's short and polite message, who knows how long that little carnival would have went on in LFG.

What you describe is the classic shushing the shushers at a movie theater scenario. Pretty soon, as the theory goes, everyone is shushing each other, and if we'd all just ignored the original jerk in the first place maybe he (and you KNOW it's a guy, not a girl) would have just read the social cues of the room and decided to be quiet and watch the movie. My experience has been that rather than shush themselves, other people join in the conversation, like we see above until someone does come in and shush them.

I could give you several examples from literally everytime I have played over the past several days, I believe. It's routine. People get caught up in it, and it takes players like the one above who is brave enough to take the heat and encourage it to go elsewhere for it to stop.

I've said before that if I had the option to ignore people for an hour, without having to manually remove that ignore myself later, I would heavily use that feature. As it is, when I do ignore someone I document a reason for myself later, because I know that means that person may not be able to run stuff with me. In the example above, you would ask me to ignore something like 15 different people, 14 of which were just responding to a comment that should never have been put in LFG anyway. I wouldn't have a problem ignoring the instigator of this had he come back at the end shouting about "MY FREEDOM!", but he didn't - he respected the request and moved on. Because someone politely asked them to stop.

8 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

I've said before that if I had the option to ignore people for an hour, without having to manually remove that ignore myself later, I would heavily use that feature

I propose a /timeout command to ignore people for X hours!  Can I get a code monkey in here?  Stat!

• Thumbs Up 4

• Game Master
12 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

This has NOT been my experience. Sure, there are the defiant jerks who - when someone tells them to take it to general - will start shouting in LFG about their freedoms and stuff. THOSE are the people I ignore, because I can't imagine a scenario where I would want them on my team or league. But by and large I have found that when someone asks people to move conversations elsewhere, they do.

Consider this little ray of sunshine from the last time I played:

Hide contents

2022-07-26 21:32:05 [Looking For Group] Astro-Monster: <color #010101>speedy speed ITF LFM speedy people
2022-07-26 21:32:10 [Looking For Group] Astro-Monster: <color #010101>but just 1 more
2022-07-26 21:32:16 [Looking For Group] Ohm Hammer: <color #010101>CoP nearly half full!  Come out to Ouro as a 50 to secure your spot for badge, 7 day buff, and 11 quick merits (if I remember right)
2022-07-26 21:32:28 [Looking For Group] Astro-Monster: <color #010101>full ty
2022-07-26 21:32:28 [Looking For Group] Chrystal Fury: IMO...SPeed ITF's are for the guys who like their sex inn 25 seconds, so they dont have to put out any effort....LOL.  The ITF's are about the most fun in the game, more  like sex lasting 2 hours
2022-07-26 21:32:55 [Looking For Group] SteelEcho.: <color #010101>LOL
2022-07-26 21:32:58 [Looking For Group] Aggrophobia: ew
2022-07-26 21:32:58 [Looking For Group] Atomic Fire-Bunny: <color #010101>like sex in prison?
2022-07-26 21:33:07 [Looking For Group] Pastor of Disaster: <color #ff0101><bgcolor #d1ff01>Plus you can use BOTH hands
2022-07-26 21:33:07 [Looking For Group] More Powerful Wizard: If the ITF is the most fun in the game, then the game is in a sad state. 
2022-07-26 21:33:10 [Looking For Group] Tzaranchula: <color #ffffff><bgcolor #340101>Speed ITFs are a fun stress test for your final builds
2022-07-26 21:33:17 [Looking For Group] Chrystal Fury: Don't know....never been to Prison....yet
2022-07-26 21:33:21 [Looking For Group] Mrs Punisher: <color #010101>LF AE Farm to try out incarnate powers
2022-07-26 21:33:24 [Looking For Group] Allie Alexandrite: <color #15d84d><bgcolor #280101>there are a LOT of hot ,sweaty, musclemen on itfs
2022-07-26 21:33:24 [Looking For Group] No. One Special: <color #010101>sex can last 2 hrs?
2022-07-26 21:33:43 [Looking For Group] BAD WIFEY BOO BOOS: lf ae plz  tx
2022-07-26 21:33:51 [Looking For Group] Hell Goat: <color #010101><bgcolor #ff0101>sounds like you've never had sex either, two hours would be awful
2022-07-26 21:34:00 [Looking For Group] Infernal Envoy: <color #4a0101><bgcolor #bc6a01>since when is it guys that cuts things short... intentionally?
2022-07-26 21:34:03 [Looking For Group] Tzaranchula: <color #ffffff><bgcolor #340101>Ugh, the smell
2022-07-26 21:34:10 [Looking For Group] Preconceived Notion: <color #010101>Only an incel would compare a speed run to sex lmao
2022-07-26 21:34:16 [Looking For Group] Screamin' Lil: <color #fe0101><bgcolor #010101>If you are old can take longer then 2 hours
2022-07-26 21:34:22 [Looking For Group] Lady Night Storm: <color #010101>2 hours?  yeah problem is then you have to pee part way through 
2022-07-26 21:34:39 [Looking For Group] Neutrophil: <color #010101>move chat to general please some people can recruit for their teams

And... it stopped. Absent @Neutrophil's short and polite message, who knows how long that little carnival would have went on in LFG.

What you describe is the classic shushing the shushers at a movie theater scenario. Pretty soon, as the theory goes, everyone is shushing each other, and if we'd all just ignored the original jerk in the first place maybe he (and you KNOW it's a guy, not a girl) would have just read the social cues of the room and decided to be quiet and watch the movie. My experience has been that rather than shush themselves, other people join in the conversation, like we see above until someone does come in and shush them.

I could give you several examples from literally everytime I have played over the past several days, I believe. It's routine. People get caught up in it, and it takes players like the one above who is brave enough to take the heat and encourage it to go elsewhere for it to stop.

I've said before that if I had the option to ignore people for an hour, without having to manually remove that ignore myself later, I would heavily use that feature. As it is, when I do ignore someone I document a reason for myself later, because I know that means that person may not be able to run stuff with me. In the example above, you would ask me to ignore something like 15 different people, 14 of which were just responding to a comment that should never have been put in LFG anyway. I wouldn't have a problem ignoring the instigator of this had he come back at the end shouting about "MY FREEDOM!", but he didn't - he respected the request and moved on. Because someone politely asked them to stop.

In the future if someone's going on like that, please send in a petition so the GMs can respond and make known that level of .. that.. Is not appropriate for any channel. 

How long I last in a speed ITF is between myself and the 7 other people in spandex - and nobody else's business.

I'll also take this opportunity to point out conduct guideline #3 "Do not spam" 

There's differences between spam, a quip, and a conversation relevant to the appropriate channel. Typically players will move on to general channel, or private messages, when told to take the lfg and help channel conversation there. If players continue to persist being off-topic (off-channel?) That's where the ignore function and sending a petition will be most useful.

The /timeout suggestion really should go into its own thread in suggestions and feedback, it's pretty buried here in this thread. 

I thought spamming was writing the same thing over and over in a channel like:

I will not have a conversation in LFG

Not actually having a conversation.

4 hours ago, GM Flints said:

The /timeout suggestion really should go into its own thread in suggestions and feedback, it's pretty buried here in this thread. 

Done.

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I thought spamming was writing the same thing over and over in a channel like:

Not actually having a conversation.

Technically anyone announcing their Teams, Trials, SF/TF  over & over till filled, is spamming.

I believe they are saying if they are having talks in the wrong channel more then a 1 worder/sentence(Sometimes by accident).  Then that would be spam, since it's not the proper channel.

3 minutes ago, JJDrakken said:

Technically anyone announcing their Teams, Trials, SF/TF  over & over till filled, is spamming.

I agree.  I think people that do this:

DFB, PST

DFB, PST

DFB, PST

DFB, PST

continuously with nothing in between or any break of time ARE spamming.  But I don't think that a conversation, even if inappropriate or in the wrong channel is spamming.  It could be some other violation, but not spamming.  If I am mistaken, I'd like official word on it.  Because this is what I understand spamming to mean:

spam
verb
gerund or present participle: spamming
  1. send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the internet.
Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

DFB, PST

DFB, PST

DFB, PST

DFB, PST

Don't even get me started on this type of spam. How invested is a server full of 800+ people supposed to be in your 8 person DFB?

As a personal rule, I post to LFG every other minute. I have a hint of OCD, so it helps to think "I'm posting on odd minutes." So, there should always be 60-120 seconds between each of my posts. I suggested one time another feature that you shouldn't be allowed to post to LFG more than once every 30 seconds, and the idea was generally shot down - moreso because it would hinder someone from immediately advertising when they are full.

Anyway, I tolerate this a lot better than I do the conversations that break out in LFG. It's tough getting old and grumpy.

8 hours ago, GM Flints said:

In the future if someone's going on like that, please send in a petition so the GMs can respond and make known that level of .. that.. Is not appropriate for any channel. 

I appreciate your supportive response. However, I generally don't do this for a number of reasons. I won't go into those reasons here because they're not helpful to this discussion, but in general I have found that any petition like this relies heavily on which GM gets to respond. I appreciate all the work of our GMs and others supporting this community, and I'm appreciative every day I get to play this game.

Maybe another feature we need is a way for the community to "flag" a post so GMs can get alerted if someone is flagged, say, 10 times in a 10 minute span or something. Maybe some flea will come along and steal that idea, too. 🙂 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later
On 7/30/2022 at 12:31 PM, Krimson said:

Depends on the time stamps. If I just log in on a fresh toon, and I see DFB - PST, I have no idea how many times they posted. But hey, this particular time is pretty convenient. 

So true.  It's why I've proposed in time past that upon login, we be given a recap of LFG from the previous minute or two, just so we can see if a recruiting request we could fill is going on. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wonder, should we tell people posting for teams in anything other than LFG that they're in the wrong channel and need to take the conversation to LFG? What about if they're asking for help in General chat, should we admonish them and tell them to take it to Help, as that is the appropriate channel to get help?

The world itself is a chaotic place, insisting that it be orderly will only lead to disappointment.

Edited by Mopery
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

What, me worry?

11 hours ago, Vexxillion said:

There's nothing wrong with asking for help in General chat. Those two channels overlap naturally. I don't think this is a good example.

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane!

No...

It's my point.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

What, me worry?