Azrael Tank Ratings.

Golden Azrael

Tanking Tip 6.

Once you roll a Tank you like?  Get to L50.  This is where you'll start to make real money.  Each IO (ordinary) drop will get you 100k!  Plus all that influence.  Plus being able to rinse Council maps at +3x8.

Tanking Tip 7.

Do Damage Wholesale.  eg. In the Hollows you CAN -1x8 on your mission settings.  Pop the odd luck inspire.  As you get to Steel Canyon?  This may become +0x8.

This approach came to me recently rather than waiting to my 30s, 40s or 50s to do wide settings.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

Another thing to consider is that endurance woes should not be something that holds a player from using a given tank. Recovery Serums are sold by the P2W vendor and we can stack 50 uses, Even the most obscene of endurance hogs I have played I could use a Recovery Serum and while it was going I would collect blue inspirations. When the Serum was on cooldown I would use the blues until it would be back up.

But for most things a Recovery Serum is only needed once in a while, either because our endurance clickie is still recharging (if having one) or because fighting endurance draining enemies like Clockwork or Freakshow.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

Okay, if I am suggesting something to someone who has no experience whatsoever with tanking or the Tanker powersets....

...Invulnerability/Dark Melee?

My first melee character taken to max was a DM/Inv scrapper back in the days when Tankers did not get DM. He was stupidly tough. Never tried the combo again on Tanker but it has to be glorious.

I "met" @Heraclea, at a Tanker Tuesday event and long before their passing, and made this guy (Inv/DM), as an homage to Hera, as their namesake was Inv/DM. You're right...stupidly tough and glorious:

https://www.midsreborn.com/builds/download.php?uc=1460&c=728&a=1456&f=HEX&dc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

• Thumbs Up 2

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Don't be afraid to set 'No Bosses' if you're a lower ST damage tank.  +0x8 No Bosses may well be double xp/hour for your particular build or level.

• Thumbs Up 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

10 minutes ago, Linea said:

Don't be afraid to set 'No Bosses' if you're a lower ST damage tank.  +0x8 No Bosses may well be double xp/hour for your particular build or level.

.......... Dude. That is SERIOUSLY some double bolter level heresy. I'm not arguing the level speed portion of it... but damn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sovera said:

Another thing to consider is that endurance woes should not be something that holds a player from using a given tank. Recovery Serums are sold by the P2W vendor and we can stack 50 uses, Even the most obscene of endurance hogs I have played I could use a Recovery Serum and while it was going I would collect blue inspirations. When the Serum was on cooldown I would use the blues until it would be back up.

But for most things a Recovery Serum is only needed once in a while, either because our endurance clickie is still recharging (if having one) or because fighting endurance draining enemies like Clockwork or Freakshow.

Top Tanking Tip, Sovera.

The P2W offers up many delights (most are legal...) from free powers to supplement your attack chain to Double XP buffs to Buffs galore for end, recharge, defence etc.

They can all give your TANK a massive head start and Lots of Qs!  (Quality of Life.)

Azrael.

4 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

.......... Dude. That is SERIOUSLY some double bolter level heresy. I'm not arguing the level speed portion of it... but damn.

That's me when playing a terrifyingly low damage Tanker and realizing I was SKIPPING MOBS! Skipping mobs!!? Because it would take too long to kill?? Dusted the character.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Linea said:

Top Tanking Tip here from Linea!  

I think this is an important distinction in combat.

Do you want to grind all day on a Boss?  Or keep to 'general' trash on wide settings?  Grinding bosses will slow you down whilst the rest of the trash give you a kicking.

I know one player who likes to go narrow and high.  (Complains about hospital visits...)  That's fine if 'that's your thing.'  But don't complain about 'being broke' at Level 50.

Azrael.

2 hours ago, Golden Azrael said:

If you're a beginning Tank?  MUST READ.

Another Top TIP.  Go to this thread above.  For 'Quality of Life.'  'Pearls of Wisdom.'  It will fast track you and get you up and running.  (Unless you're a fan of playing like it's still 2003 and rolling boulders up hill...)

You might find this Authoritative Beginners Guide to CoH useful.  !

I did and I #loosely qualify as a 'veteran' player and I learned loads from reading it.

Azrael.

Just for you I redid the first section on how to start a character. It was too poorly done for a new character and the solo option involved teaming.

2 minutes ago, Sovera said:

That's me when playing a terrifyingly low damage Tanker and realizing I was SKIPPING MOBS! Skipping mobs!!? Because it would take too long to kill?? Dusted the character.

...it's the old damage vs XP over time.  The faster you can spin the xp/wheel on a wide setting the more cha-ching you'll make.

It's a combat equation.  How long does it take to kill for the rewards in xp/influence from a given build.  For the new tank.  Are you single target?  Do you have an end problem.  Can you hit hard enough.  Are you AoE.  Can your single target tank cope with wide settings.  Are your settings too high?  Questions.  

If it's taking too long, the tank does have the capacity to achieve that holy grail...'yet.'

Azrael.

19 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Just for you I redid the first section on how to start a character. It was too poorly done for a new character and the solo option involved teaming.

High praise indeed, you Diamond Geezer.  Thank you.  Because that's a darn good, nay, excellent guide.  🙂

With my recent run of 'ten tanks' in a row...I've come to realise that Tanks can self farm, without a team.  I did this at L50...then found I could do it with certain tanks at L45 then 40 than in my 30s.  Then realised.  Why don't I try this from the get-go in the Hollows?  You just have to lower the difficulty level in accordance with your armour output and your attack output.

Trade secret.  Using this -1x8 approach on a Tank, I've left the Hollows at L18 and my recent record at L20!  (Serious?  Serious!)  As proof of my self-love thesis.

My 2nd trade secret?  If you leave the Hollows around L14?  I go 'Boss' killing in Steel Canyon.  All the Lead Fire/Stone/Elecs pay insane prices of XP/Influence.  That will take me to L20 and Talos!!!

Then at L21-+  I whoop Az on Warrior Tips and Street Sweeping.

It works for me.  Distinct from common wisdom I guess.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

1 minute ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I'm gonna go on record here... I am NOT a fan of the P2W amplifiers. Just as I'm not a fan of the new origin pools and their ridiculousness. The day I take Rune of Protection on a a melee character is the day I probably quit playing.

But they make the early leveling so much better when we are short on powers and slots and unable to slot the juicy stuff. After level one they stop existing for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Sovera said:

But they make the early leveling so much better when we are short on powers and slots and unable to slot the juicy stuff. After level one they stop existing for me.

Not denying it at all, Sovera. I buy 8 hours of all three amps on most of my lvl 1s. Just because I don't like something ridiculously OP doesn't mean I don't use it.

I do run a shield/nrg tank after all. 🙂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I'm gonna go on record here... I am NOT a fan of the P2W amplifiers. Just as I'm not a fan of the new origin pools and their ridiculousness. The day I take Rune of Protection on a a melee character is the day I probably quit playing.

That's the thing, though.

If you sat me down at gun point.  I'd say, 'Give me the game at Issue 3 and my Gdm perma-hasten and no IOs or market whatsoever.'

But given the P2W server, we have the choice to play how we like.  For some the amplifiers make the game too easier.

Perhaps those new to CoH or to Tanks may not think so.

When CoH 1st started back on HC, many zoomed to L50 and kept on doing so with each alt.  I didn't 'get it.'

But I guess that's how they liked playing the game, by-passing the game almost entirely.

Some don't like farming.  Or AE.  Some don't approve of any of the stuff from P2W or are selective in the things they want.  Some like the Double Xp.  Some want to 'earn' it (the hard way) old school style.

I'm not overly fussed about The magic pool.  But I do think Origin based powers were long overdue.  And also how they interact and make an impact on the origin type of your AT and how that interacts with mission content.  I don't think any of this has been resolved satisfactorily yet.

Azrael.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Been saying it since the tank buffs. Tanks were ALREADY OP... and the devs made them even worse.

I'd argue the reverse.  I couldn't do +0 or +1 or I'll get my head caved in going that wide.  But allowing me to hit above my weight by lowering the setting allows me to achieve volume early on.  Any tank who hasn't tried this?  It's a revelation.

Tanks were tippy tappy fat boys that ran out of steam.

Now, they're are lean, powerful mother truckers.  They radiant power.

If any class was OP?  It was B*****.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

6 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Yeah.  It takes the 'sting' out of the L1-20.  Especially if you're doing all that on your 40th alt.

It's a personal choice whether we use it.  It adds a massive difference to the Q of Life in the game and to new comers too for all ATs.

You're wondering why I like your New comers guide so much. I didn't know about this until I read your guide. 😄 

But as a recent convert.  I'm keeping mine my P2W buffs.  Great for the new and vet player alike.

That and the double xp?  I'm a keepin'.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

4 minutes ago, Golden Azrael said:

Azrael.

Blasters still faceplant all around me. I've watched some amazing blasters but ... nah.

Edit: Not to say they don't shine hard with all 3 amplifiers, rune of protection and demonic/etc.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

2 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Been saying it since the tank buffs. Tanks were ALREADY OP... and the devs made them even worse.

Blah. Brutes tank as much as Tankers do, at most they might need a 50 inf insp to reach the same numbers. The increase in radius is a useless buff as well. Only in farming do mobs agglomerate so much that they cannot physically get closer and the extra radius comes in. Even then a Brute still does farming faster.

Any non farming map spawns come in packs of 10-12 and -can- make a ball around the Brute/Tank and be hit by the AoEs without the need of the increase.

The Trapdoor tests have shown this consistently with Tankers having 6-7 minutes times and brutes between 5-6 minutes. By the logic of the thing the Tankers ought to blaze with the extra radius but that's not the case.

Same with pylons where Tankers still lag behind with 4 minutes without -res trickery.

It takes a very specific broken combo like Rad/Super Strength to see Tankers get OP.

The reason to go Tanker is Fire Armor. Getting Burn at 18 fixes sets without early AoE such as Stone Melee or Super Strength.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Blasters still faceplant all around me. I've watched some amazing blasters but ... nah.

Edit: Not to say they don't shine hard with all 3 amplifiers, rune of protection and demonic/etc.

I managed to Cap a Sonic/Sonic blaster for S*L and Range.  'Junior Tank' class.

But nothing beats the Real Thing, ofc.

It's still funny when Blasters face plant by over reaching the Tanker's lead.

As somebody once quipped to me on Live.  (I was running energy/energy Blaster...)  'Ha, ha...Azrael thinks he's a tank.'  (I was on the floor, face planted.)

Azrael.

9 minutes ago, Golden Azrael said:

Azrael.

What AT is being played here? Doesn't seem to be a brute.

I am not sure any other AT has shown a sub-4 minute run, let alone on a first attempt on a build.

But I am not here to re-ignite the great Brute/Tanker war of...was the last flare up just last year? 

6 minutes ago, Sovera said:

The Trapdoor tests have shown this consistently with Tankers having 6-7 minutes times and brutes between 5-6 minutes. By the logic of the thing the Tankers ought to blaze with the extra radius but that's not the case.

*glances at his previous post to make sure it is a sub-4 minute clear posted by a Tanker*

1 minute ago, Erratic1 said:

What AT is being played here? Doesn't seem to be a brute.

I am not sure any other AT has shown a sub-4 minute run, let alone on a first attempt on a build.

But I am not here to re-ignite the great Brute/Tanker war of...was the last flare up just last year? 

Yeah.  I think B***** were squealing at their damage cap hedge being trimmed?  Whilst Tanks were having theirs raised.

They're lucky I'm not on the Dev' HC team.  I know exactly how to create that distinction between them.  Happily, though, I think the recent Tank patch and the design passes of certain attack sets have closed the 'gap' and made Tanks much more distinct.  I for see over improvements.  But this is a where Tanks are now for the Beginner Guide.

Azrael.

11 minutes ago, Sovera said:

It takes a very specific broken combo like Rad/Super Strength to see Tankers get OP.

3 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

*glances at his previous post to make sure it is a sub-4 minute clear posted by a Tanker*