Azrael Tank Ratings.

Golden Azrael

4 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

No - but you are also missing my point that the set bonuses also add up - and the extra regen factor with capped HP also contribute to a finely tuned balanced build.

If you are all set in every other aspect. Why not? that is my point. My build has softcapped typed, softcapped melee and over 80 res on everything including psi and toxic with 3 stacks of MotT - with 1 stack its over 70.  S/l is of course 90. Why wouldnt you add the other to the list at that point because the bases are covered.

On point.  Sometimes I've six slotted Regen' ('Regen' as in Dull Pain or any given Tanking Regen semantic...) and it's been mandatory for the bigger picture.  Sometimes, three of those slots could have maybe been spent elsewhere.  Slotting can get real tight on Tanks when I'm haggling about 1-3 slots and how best to spend them.

And I think that 'hollistic' balance is something I'm even now, still grappling with.  

As I've said, many of my 1st Tanking builds which I thought were the best ever look a bit...'What was I thinking?' when I go back to them.  'oh.  I'm not Captain America after all.'

But my current builds are more robust, the design more often reflects my intentions.  But squeezing out eg. My Fire Defence number on Shield (eg. 15%) is an area I can still better balance.

And it comes down to choices.  I love Som's Invul'EM build.  But I couldn't live without Taunt and Bone Smasher on my Tank.  So I'd have to find a way to squeeze those in.  Maybe cope without Energy Punch.  Don't use it 'That Much.'

I'll go back and fix my 'proc' based Invul' / EM as a case in point.  My intention at the time was proc damage.  But I traded defence.  Resistance.

Now?  I want him to be a hard az.  Which he is against Council.  But now I want MoAR.  So I'll throw out the procs (maybe keep a minimum of them if I can.  If not, I'll live.  It's not like EM doesn't hit like a truck anyhow.)  And that's the beauty of the debate here.

Can you do it?  Can you make it better?  Get that 'balance.'

Azrael.

• Like 1

Any heal I take on an armor character I look to 6 slot it with Preventative Medicine too.  The set bonuses are real good and play into constructing a better armor character plus its a good way to slot that absorb proc if you're looking for a place to slot it.  I also occasionally will slot a full set of Numina for that ranged defense bonus but I like Preventative Medicine bonuses a bit better.  

As far as True Grit goes I 3 slot it with Numinas so I can make use of that unique and get high enhancement values for more hp then I slot the rest with resistance IOs.  

Healing back the damage that was just done to you thus doubling the amount of damage it takes to kill you is totally another form of damage mitigation.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mezmera said:

Any heal I take on an armor character I look to 6 slot it with Preventative Medicine too.  The set bonuses are real good and play into constructing a better armor character plus its a good way to slot that absorb proc if you're looking for a place to slot it.  I also occasionally will slot a full set of Numina for that ranged defense bonus but I like Preventative Medicine bonuses a bit better.  

As far as True Grit goes I 3 slot it with Numinas so I can make use of that unique and get high enhancement values for more hp then I slot the rest with resistance IOs.  

Healing back the damage that was just done to you thus doubling the amount of damage it takes to kill you is totally another form of damage mitigation.  

Spot on.

I find it funny when a mob gradually grinds me down to the last quarter of my HPs...and then I hit Dull Pain (or an Absorb button) then they have to grind through all of that again.  That's what?  3000-3500 of HPs to get through.  Twice.  7000 points of HPs.  It's monumental and soul destroying to your Nemesis.  'Good luck, Mob.'  Cause if I'm rad, fire or energy melee, you're in deep trouble.

I like 6 slotted Preventative Medicine.  It's good value for it.  Big nice dollop of recharge.  A sound Absorb unique.  (I like things like this.  Especially on my squishies as it acts like a 'Hand brake' on getting Alpha'd.  Giving you time to react.)  Ofc.  It works great on a Tank with a big VAT of HPs or one with a lower HP stack.

Your True Grit slotting is noted.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

Update.  RE: the 801 'Tanking Challenge' for 'advanced' Tankers.  I've rolled a Rad/Rad Tank (currently Level 12 in the Hollows) which 'begins' its journey.  I prioritised Smashing * L resistance and x3 slotted the Alpha shield straight away.  I always took the AoE attack and prioritised the damage slots for it.  Ofc, I'm emphasising the armour powers (only 3 attacks vs 5 armour powers) at the moment so I can Keep Myself Alive.  (Using Sands of Mu and Nemesis Staff to supplement the attack chain.)

Starting off with SOs.  -1x8 on the Wilcott mission arc.  (Tip.  Use the Luck inspires you can buy from him to limit incoming hits.)

Once I get a bit higher (or higher level enough) I'll fit strategic uniques as per the advice above from other posters.

I do have a Rad/BS Tank (very impressive.)  Don't have a Rad/Rad.  The 'build' from the 801 thread really impressed me.  Something to aim for.

Impressed with the breadth of resistance Radiation has so far.  Just got the Heal for me and some -Regen on Mobs and a sprinkle of DoT which stacks with the melee rad cone.

Update: L27 and counting.  0x8 Council Mobs in Talos.  IO (SOs that don't fade) fitted.  'Only' two uniques fitted into Tough.  Global Defences x2.  Gladiator and Steadfast.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

• 3 months later

I would add to my Tank list.  Something really different.

Some may consider it blasphemy.  ('He dares???!')

But if you want to be 'tank' like but do it with blasts?

I recommend?  A Sentinel.  Sonic.  Rad.

I'm very impressed with it's toughness.  The way it shreds mobs.  I have plenty of damage.  And can take many punches to the chin and a stick of wood to the back of the head.

You can tank in the mob.  Aka.  At the front.

Or you can even get 'behind' a Time/Seismic Defender and Tank from behind.  No really.  (That's where the blasts and AOEs really come in to play.)

I have plenty of AOES to rinse mobs.  The only thing I don't have is a taunt from a Tertiary Power pool...

Azrael. 

• 10 months later