Enhancement Slot Unslotters

Rudra

Okay, I don't know if this is possible, but here is a wild idea. Make an unslotter people can use to remove an enhancement slot. I'm not talking about the slotted enhancement that we already have unslotters for. I'm talking about the slot itself. Sure, we can do a full respec to fix slot allocations. However, if you're only looking at a single slot that is out of place for the build, removing all powers, enhancements, and slots is a bit overkill.

To favor the respecs, the new unslotter can be exorbitantly costly in merits. I would be fine with that. We'd be paying for the convenience of using a quick fix rather than a rebuild. And the slot would have to be empty before the new unslotter could be used on it. No trying to sneak enhancements into powers that aren't supposed to have them. So you'd be looking at using both the enhancement unslotter and the proposed enhancement slot unslotter for each slot to be moved unless the target slot was already empty.

Thoughts and opinions? Is anyone else interested in being able to selectively fix their builds instead of doing a full rebuild each time? Or are we better off just sticking to respecs?

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct "only" to "unless".
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

First thought would be whether the slot is still bound to the level it was picked.  I think I read there were changes to that, but just being cautious.

I know I could wish for a fine tuning rather than a dramatic overhaul.

One alternate suggestion to acquiring them would be to have the player still participate in one of the respec missions, but be given a rewards choice upon completion.  Say either 1 full respec, or 10 slot unslotters.  

Actually "repositioner" might be a better term than "unslotter", since the game would choke if you tried to exit the process without putting the slot down into some power somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 3

I *want* to say something like it was tried and broke things, but that's *very, very* rusty memory. I wouldn't swear to it in a train station, much less court.

If possible? Sure.  Even if for whatever reason it had to be limited to just "undo last level choices" or something, I think that'd fix things at least half the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

6 hours ago, Techwright said:

First thought would be whether the slot is still bound to the level it was picked.  I think I read there were changes to that, but just being cautious.

I know I could wish for a fine tuning rather than a dramatic overhaul.

One alternate suggestion to acquiring them would be to have the player still participate in one of the respec missions, but be given a rewards choice upon completion.  Say either 1 full respec, or 10 slot unslotters.  

Actually "repositioner" might be a better term than "unslotter", since the game would choke if you tried to exit the process without putting the slot down into some power somewhere.

First, I agree that the freed slot would have to be assigned before the player could exit the window. No saving the slot for later.

However, as things already are, the slots do not retain their gained level. Not even on a respec. I checked. I did a respec and assigned 5 new slots to the very last power I picked. So that level 49 power choice was able to get all 6 enhancement slots because of the respec.

So while I would prefer the slot remain at gained level or lower, the game does not bother with that even for the current respecs. My guess is that is why no matter what you exemplar/malefactor down to, you always get all your enhancements.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct incorrect word usage and word mispelling.
  • Like 1

I would love if there was a way to adjust slots without having to do a full on respec and start from scratch then have to put it all together again. Such a nuisance. If we had the ability to change slot(s) then that would be HUGE! I actually don't respec characters as often as I'd like because it's such an onerous task IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Techwright said:

First thought would be whether the slot is still bound to the level it was picked. 

But this isn't the case with respecs, correct? You pick all your powers and THEN you place slotts.

You can respec and put 6 slots in powers you get after 40 if you want.

Of course that can seriously gimp you when playing lower level combat.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I have wished for such a thing for a long time!

And yes, a slot-mover should be valued similarly to a respec token, just with much less trauma (drama?).

A full respec is a lot of work, and I know I never complete them without going back and starting over at least once.

Pretty please?

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• 1 month later

The reason why they let you 6-slot your Lv. 49 power pick during a respec is because, when you're respeccing, you could have just as easily have taken that power at 41, 44 or 47 (all levels which can naturally receive 5 extra slots during level-up), and push one of your one-slot wonders back to 49 -- since you're already there, there's nothing this affects outside of missing a different power when you exemplar to 43 and below.

• Thumbs Up 2