Idiots manipulating market

Snarky

10 hours ago, CaptA said:

This is why I build bases and store a decent amount of salvage so I almost never need to buy it. 

Long ago, but not immediately upon my joining Homecoming, I stopped saving invention salvage.

I'll store Event salvage and maybe unslotters. I'll only put 2 or 3 salvage racks in a base. Most of the time they are empty.

I sell all salvage that I'm not using. It's a waste of time for me to sort it. I go through salvage too fast.

looney-tunes-speedy-gonzales.gif

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

15 hours ago, Snarky said:

I am alone.  hmmm. scratch that.

I am utterly alone.  By the time you read this I will have shifted my focus to another of my pet peeves.

Yes, all of these issues are indeed important to me.  okay, yellow salvage is just fun to bitch about.  Heh, at least I never bought bitcoin.  sheesh.

Blasters are not Ranged.  Whoever said they were never played one.  yet there it is in the character creation screen.  THey were designed as close range damage dealers.  Bending them to fully ranged is like trying to get a boat to fly.  Its been done.  Its not winning any races or beauty contests.

rage crash on (all) Super Strength characters is so not comic book canon I want to drop a few pallets of comics on the orinal Devs heads.  (they obs need research material)

I run a Vampire.  No amount of recoloring water or earth blast is going to convince me those powers are death related.  hot and cold running blood but no neg damage?  pffft

I suffer for my art.  You should too.

*applause*

...however now that you brought it up, my mind just created a vampire who was buried so deep by her paranoid relatives/peasant neighbors that she was forced to master earth control in order to escape her resting place...

Water? Naaahhh, never. 🙂

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Snarky said:

I run a Vampire.  No amount of recoloring water or earth blast is going to convince me those powers are death related.  hot and cold running blood but no neg damage?  pffft

Arguably dropping a meteor someone -=IS=- death related, but I get what you're saying.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

51iP3A-pubL._SX352_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Appropriate.  You remember what happened to Old Yeller?  Well, that's what they should do with whoever is messing with salvage prices!!!

• Haha 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 6/12/2022 at 3:52 PM, Supertanker said:

Then sell your Uncommon Salvage. Easy money.

In relative terms, the inf earned is trivial. You'd have to do a lot of volume sales to make it worth your while. It's far more profitable to actually use the salvage than to sell it. 

The problem with this market pvp is the player perpetrating this scheme is making things harder for marketers - which is completely fine - but it's also making crafting more difficult for newer players with a lower knowledge base and fewer reserves on other characters to assist. 

And it is truly annoying to have an understanding that "the normal" price of uncommon salvage is generally around 1,111. The reason for that price is because if you sell it to the vendor, you'll make 1k. Folks like to sell if for at least 1,111 because of the 10% fee they get charged. 

The HC devs have been kind enough to seed the uncommon at a price of 100k. A marketer can still profit at that price. Really, the only folks that are significantly impacted are newer players. That said, knowing what I know - I will burn 1000 brain storm ideas before I spend over 2k on an uncommon salvage. When I need uncommons, it's a waste to use brain storm ideas, but I'll do it anyway. I'll also farm for tickets just to spend the tickets on uncommons and sell them for 1,111. 

I would certainly like this marketer to stop this nonsense, but folks are going to do what they're going to do. But - my question is - what are they going to do with all the cheap salvage I sell? 1,000s of uncommon salvage upon thousands. Easy enough to stash stacks of 10, with 200 AH slots, you can hold about 2282 or so, depending on your crafting & selling badges, & whether you spend the vg merits on holding 10 more salvage. 

I can't imagine crafting enough to use that much uncommon salvage, so they must be re-listing it. Gee. 2282*10k = 22.8 million per character, per "cycle". I can sell some IOs and make a lot more than that. 

I'm not impressed. I'm just annoyed, because I would rather not burn brain storm ideas nor do I wish to farm for tickets. But I'm only going to sell salvage, not buy it at a price over 2k. 

I say 2k because it's fair. A vendor pays 1k, I'll pay 2x because you took the trouble to put it in the AH. You win, I win. 
10k? No. Then it's just me losing. Even if I can pay 100k and still profit. It ain't how much inf I make, it's how much I save. Every inf I save multiplies to the bottom line. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 6/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, CaptA said:

This is why I build bases and store a decent amount of salvage so I almost never need to buy it. 

I used to do this. But then I realized it was better for me to store enhancements. Salvage is cheap. Enhancements are more time consuming to craft, so it can pay to keep the ones I use routinely on most builds in stock. 
With the /vault, most characters have plenty of room to keep 5 of each salvage in their respective tier. (Level 41-50 characters carry the salvage for that level, same with 25-40 & 1-24) 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

I used to do this. But then I realized it was better for me to store enhancements. Salvage is cheap. Enhancements are more time consuming to craft, so it can pay to keep the ones I use routinely on most builds in stock. 
With the /vault, most characters have plenty of room to keep 5 of each salvage in their respective tier. (Level 41-50 characters carry the salvage for that level, same with 25-40 & 1-24) 

I craft and store enhancements as well. People seem to grind for inf and sell their good recipes and buy everything later and it baffles me. Make it, store it, and use it. Usually I am buying very few enhancements when I am building out a 50. I've had people tell me they "don't have time to craft'. Lol it's 10 minutes at the end of a play session. So odd. 

Off with their heads !!  ..hands, I'll settle for hands.. this time.

image.png.fcd9e92cc3a46d1fc73904578f223072.png

that's all you got?! No pithy come back nor clever retort?

• Thumbs Down 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 hours ago, Ukase said:

In relative terms, the inf earned is trivial. You'd have to do a lot of volume sales to make it worth your while. It's far more profitable to actually use the salvage than to sell it. 

It helps starting characters buy and upgrade SOs early. 

1 hour ago, Zhym said:

I agree: market manipulation is wrong.  One might even call it...villainous.

@Snarky, aren't you always saying that the game needs more villains? 

You missed the fact all villains are treacherous backstabbing types who only agree with their own faction, until they inevitably double cross them

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Ukase said:

10k? No. Then it's just me losing.

Common salvage was more expensive than that on the original servers.  10k wouldn't have been enough for a lay-away payment on a Luck Charm.

Perspective, ladies and gents.  Even if the price of uncommon salvage stays where it is permanently, it's still laughably low in comparison to what it could be, very affordable and far, far below the seeded price.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

3 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Common salvage was more expensive than that on the original servers.  10k wouldn't have been enough for a lay-away payment on a Luck Charm.

Perspective, ladies and gents.  Even if the price of uncommon salvage stays where it is permanently, it's still laughably low in comparison to what it could be, very affordable and far, far below the seeded price.

It still feels wrong to vendor a luck charm today.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I hate contributing to this thread because this is all that trolls want - attention.  Just put up 10,100 for yellows if you need it now, otherwise put up your normal bid which will be filled in a few days.  Since HC I can only think of a couple of periods where yellows > 1k for an extended time.  This too shall pass...

Edited by Hedgefund
  • Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, CaptA said:

I craft and store enhancements as well. People seem to grind for inf and sell their good recipes and buy everything later and it baffles me. Make it, store it, and use it. Usually I am buying very few enhancements when I am building out a 50. I've had people tell me they "don't have time to craft'. Lol it's 10 minutes at the end of a play session. So odd. 

I don't bother storing salvage in a base, I just have a zillion alts with ~272 pieces of yellow salvage, ~70 random rare IOs, and some odd number of random recipes on their person.  Just need to log in to one of the alts, stand next to the nerd who needs salvage or whatever, and mule it over.  It's all very tidy.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

9 minutes ago, roleki said:

I don't bother storing salvage in a base, I just have a zillion alts with ~272 pieces of yellow salvage, ~70 random rare IOs, and some odd number of random recipes on their person.  Just need to log in to one of the alts, stand next to the nerd who needs salvage or whatever, and mule it over.  It's all very tidy.

Also a good method. I don't have multiple accounts, however. 

On 6/12/2022 at 4:44 PM, Snarky said:

Thank you both for self identification as people that spend hours of your time to make everyone else’s life harder.  

love the reasons you give too.  A truly evil politician always adds lipstick to the pig

This is a meme right? I'm trying to stay hip with the CoH meme community. 😛

• Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 6/12/2022 at 5:22 PM, Snarky said:

Applying extra lipstick does not make the pig any prettier

If you buy junk recipes from the AH, craft convert sell, then you are adding value to the market

If you are buying EVERYTHING in a certain category (this is called cornering the market) and relisting it at a higher price so everyone who buys pays you the difference you are adding NOTHING to the market.

So is it the rares that make use of Uncommon salvage causing you issue? Is it the VR/PvP IO's? I'm not sure what's got you in a fuss so much over uncommon salvage. I can understand the issue on rare salvage kinda cause of purps needing them. But uncommon not only drops like crazy, but technically isn't even needed except in very niche instances. And attuned IO's seemingly limit that niche even further.

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|