Idiots manipulating market

Snarky

@Luminara...again, you are not this stupid. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and I'm going to assume you're having an off day. 

Re-read what Snarky wrote.  He's not playing at arbitrage, he said he buys low value purples on the cheap and converts and relists.  That's not even flipping or manipulation, that's increasing supply of desired purples and taking a cut. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Not what I meant in the least.

This is what I meant. Writ large.  50k is pocket change.  Hell, it is barely pocket change. 50k is a freaking rounding error in a lot of player budgets.  That's what, a handful of bosses at 50?

Not hard to imagine prices just going up from player impatience. It is just a game after all, and not everyone approaches it like it is the personal finances of their family and the house is on the line.  Not hard to imagine a surge just from people unwilling to wait.

Pretty much this. If I want it now I'll pay "want it now prices" I couldn't care less. It's a game.

If I feel like waiting I put in a low bid then come back later. It eventually fills.

Again, not seeing the issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Andreah said:

I pause from eating popcorn while reading this.

First, I doubt there's market manipulation going on. I'm a fairly large scale marketeer, and I've tried just about everything, both on Live and on Homecoming. My opinion is that market manipulation at this magnitude and for this length of time would have to be done by a large team, or using quite a few bots, and would lose a lot of money. If they were succeeding, these hypothetical schemes could not be kept secret, or unnoticed by the devs, for long.

Second, to claim it is a "fact" that this is happening and it's punishable, then evidence should be collected and given to the devs. Otherwise, this is not 'fact', it's opinion, and at best "possible", not even "likely". From what I see, this are reasonable price change stemming from general market conditions. There's no reason to believe the price of salvage should be constant, long term. IMO, we should see a long term secular rise in salvage prices because a larger proportion of Homecoming's player base knows they're useful and bids for them off the market. Certainly I've done my best on my server in chat to explain to folks how to use the invention system, how to bid smartly on the market, and how to use converters to produce things they need. I have seen other prices continue to change as well. Boosters have been rising, because they're useful to more of the existing players who pimping their end game builds, and catalysts have been slowly falling because more people realize those are bad choices to use on anything but ATOs. We tell people this in help chat frequently. It adds up to a collectively more market savvy community.

Third, regarding flipping. It's a legit market activity. Flippers don't force people to sell game things, and flippers don't force anyone to buy them. If players don't like the prices flippers operate at, they should figure out their bid/sell points and squeeze them out -- it's not hard to do. Flippers exist because most people don't care enough to bother keeping the margins thin. And flippers actually perform useful services -- they even out sell and buy prices and they drain more influence out of the game economy.

Finally, the entire auction system is optional. If some players don't like it, they should stop using it. There's nothing there we can't get for ourselves from content rewards and currencies.  If we feel that's too expensive; well then, we're complaining the market isn't delivering us as fantastically good a deal as it used to.  But if we still use the market, then we must, at some level, realize we're still getting a very good deal out of it.

Back to my popcorn. 

Best post in the whole damn thread.

1 hour ago, Omega-202 said:

@Luminara...again, you are not this stupid. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and I'm going to assume you're having an off day. 

Re-read what Snarky wrote.  He's not playing at arbitrage, he said he buys low value purples on the cheap and converts and relists.  That's not even flipping or manipulation, that's increasing supply of desired purples and taking a cut. 

yaaaaawn. As others have asked let's have some evidence of someone actually manipulating the market.

As I mentioned if I want something I'm going to pay the buy it now price. I've paid 100K for yellow salvage if I'm making builds or IOing out characters. Which I have done in the past three weeks.

100K for someone who regularly farms and gets massive converters (and uses them to sell things on the market) from massive merits from constant hamidon runs  a week is nothing. I can sneeze and make that. So paying up to that for yellow salvage is nothing. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

EDIT: And to be clear, again, I'm not saying everyone has to pay that. Just put your bid in, wait, and come back. Your bid will be filled. We're talking about uncommon salvage, not purples.

Edited by golstat2003

Wait, is it June already? Oh, look at that... It's time for the typical summer Uncommon salvage spike already, I almost missed it. Don't worry folks, things will be back to normal by August as they usually are.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

yaaaaawn. As others have asked let's have some evidence of someone actually manipulating the market.

soooo the average price being one thing for years jumping to approx 10x that price and staying there is not evidence to you of anything.  cool

hey folks, gas prices are not going up.  there is no proof.  energy crisis solved.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I need it explained to me . . . slowly . . . with pictures.

powerful-pictures-of-earth-being-destroyed.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

th?id=OIP.Ie_4mRzpOAx0fO_h_iImOgHaE8%26pid=Api&f=1

TELEMMGLPICT000171798586_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqaRL1kC4G7DT9ZsZm6Pe3PehAFAI_f6ud569StXyOKH0.jpeg?imwidth=680&f=1&nofb=1

oh, was that rhetorical.

• Haha 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

15 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Can we have a thread proving how dumb we all are.  Like with charts and data and stuff!

Yes! Charts! And stuff, too! Don't forget the stuff, damnit!

So, I missed some things in this was-already-too-long-three-pages-ago thread. Of what I did miss, I think the comment I like best is, I know you're not that stupid, because it throws the target a modicum of faux respect while still insinuating, "but you ARE still stupid--let's not forget that." (masterful...). It brings to mind my traditional response to students who ask me to consider things I've no inclination of considering, which prompts me to reply to them as follows: I'll give that all the consideration it is due.🙂

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

soooo the average price being one thing for years jumping to approx 10x that price and staying there is not evidence to you of anything.  cool

hey folks, gas prices are not going up.  there is no proof.  energy crisis solved.

Evidence that prices are up is not evidence of manipulation. Correlation is not causation. Surely you already understand this.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, Omega-202 said:

Do we know anything for sure?  Uncommon salvage has been steady at 1-3k for over a year and suddenly shot up to 10k in the last few weeks with no apparent reason. 

To concludr that its just due to the cumulative effect of thousands of veteran players like yourself coincidentally all deciding to raise their personal price point in the span of 2 weeks seems unreasonable.  Occam's Razor and all.  Simplest explanation is that one individual is playing the system instead of thousands of individuals all trending up for no apparent reason at the same time.

If people are slowly listing less salvage and deleting more of it (I delete all uncommon salvage that I don’t craft with and know I’m not the only one), then it’s completely reasonable that a few players would raise their bids simultaneously to bypass the supply crunch and get their stuff. You’re not usually supposed to assume malice when there is no evidence of it, no?

• Thumbs Up 1

I do find it a bit annoying.

It is my ... hope ... that it is a few impatient people who are new to the game.

They post a bid and don't get an instant response

.... Alright! I'll post a bid 10x the current!

BAM! Got it! MWAHAHAHA

Rares also fluctuated wildly for a few weeks. Topping at 1mil if I remember correctly, before coming back down to earth

• Confused 1

/e poofgone

25 minutes ago, arcane said:

Evidence that prices are up is not evidence of manipulation. Correlation is not causation. Surely you already understand this.

So no one is actually “manipulating” the price of gas.   It just mystically changes all on it’s own.  I never knew that. Thanks

Just now, Snarky said:

So no one is actually “manipulating” the price of gas.   It just mystically changes all on it’s own.  I never knew that. Thanks

Supply and demand dude, prices don’t change only because of nefarious manipulation. Please tell me you understand this high school economics concept. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

I do find it a bit annoying.

It is my ... hope ... that it is a few impatient people who are new to the game.

They post a bid and don't get an instant response

.... Alright! I'll post a bid 10x the current!

BAM! Got it! MWAHAHAHA

Rares also fluctuated wildly for a few weeks. Topping at 1mil if I remember correctly, before coming back down to earth

I think (memory on an old vampire….it hurts to guess at what i used to know) is seeded at 1 mil by Devs.  Last night i saw it see saw 500-800+.  I bought a few at 500k. (My max ever on rare).  Then i craft convert and sell what i get in drops.  My usual way of slowly building up a decent stash.  Which i tend to give away half the time lol

• Thumbs Up 1