Taunt aura

PhoenixV117

Why do some sets get this and others don’t? 
mad a mellee character taunt is essential to get your damage off.

rad and bio are two of the best sets to take, and both get a taunt, yet other sets which don’t measure up don’t get it and it hurts them even more ? 
stone armour is a new addition and it didn’t get a taunt aura? Even though it got mud pots which has a crazy high end/sec use with no taunt ? 

Bio, Invuln, Willpower, Radiation, Shield defense those are the only scrapper sets with taunt and the only i will play not sure it is taunt though it is a combo of things i have no taunt i have no gap closers and enemies consider running as early as 80% hp for some reason

While I like having a taunt aura, scrappers play just fine without them. If you want one, you have a lot of choices. In addition to bio and rad, there's also energy, invul, shield and willpower. If you don't like those, roll a brute.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, Uun said:

While I like having a taunt aura, scrappers play just fine without them

Scrap sets without them are incredibly frustrating to some people. For example. Stone Armor is a great armor set for scraps but it does NOT have a taunt aura. Cue the runners.  And the set has a PBAoE damage aura. The armor contributes SO MUCH to damage (think Bio Armor amounts) but since it can cause so many runners it absolutely nullifies any damage boost it gives. Obviously, on a team with a taunt aura haver this doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Is there a way to split the difference by creating an IO enhancement that has an aoe taunt component while the power it is slotted in is active?  Like stealth IOs in sprint.

This way:

-No powersets get altered.  Devs win.

-People who don't have a taunt aura and don't want one don't have it forced on them.  Nays win.

-People who want this can now have it.  Yays win.

It worked with kb to kd.  Why not here?

Edited by Aracknight
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Aracknight said:

Is there a way to split the difference by creating an IO enhancement that has an aoe taunt component while the power it is slotted in is active?  Like stealth IOs in sprint.

This way:

-No powersets get altered.  Devs win.

-People who don't have a taunt aura and don't want one don't have it forced on them.  Nays win.

-People who want this can now have it.  Yays win.

It worked with kb to kd.  Why not here?

Yeah, or add taunt aura to one of the pools 

• Like 1

Or just fix the flee code so that freakin' AV's (and everything else under the sun, too) aren't spectacular cowards.  It wasn't this way on Live.

That said, the supposed "reason" why some sets have a Taunt Aura and not others is because those sets have an aura power (such as Invincibility which gives +def for every enemy in its area, or Entropic Aura which gives +rech for each, or RttC which gives +regen for each, etc.)  which scales its effects based on how many people are in the area of the aura, therefore they get a Taunt component to help keep enemies in that area. 

This is a bogus reason, as it's not at all necessary for those powers to function, it just makes them more efficient... in the exact same way that having a Taunt aura makes ANY scrapper more efficient - it keeps enemies close in where your AoE powers (including said auras) can get to them!

Edited by Stormwalker

34 minutes ago, PhoenixV117 said:

Great idea. Posted to the Suggestion forum.

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

40 minutes ago, PhoenixV117 said:

I mean, I'd take a taunt aura pool power on my Claws/SR in a heartbeat (probably drop Elude for it), but at the same time it would be kind of annoying to have to take a pool power as a band-aid to fix the broken flee code.

6 hours ago, PainX said:

Bio, Invuln, Willpower, Radiation, Shield defense those are the only scrapper sets with taunt and the only i will play not sure it is taunt though it is a combo of things i have no taunt i have no gap closers and enemies consider running as early as 80% hp for some reason

And Nrg aura with Entropic Aura.

Flee code should just be ditched, but the old devs liked it and the new devs don't want to deviate too far so unless something tremendous happens it is bound to stay in some private server.

Agro, like in other games, should be about which target the mobs hit, not the glue that makes them stick around instead of waltzing away from us like in Jibaro's episode.

59 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Flee code should just be ditched, but the old devs liked it and the new devs don't want to deviate too far so unless something tremendous happens it is bound to stay in some private server.

Agro, like in other games, should be about which target the mobs hit, not the glue that makes them stick around instead of waltzing away from us like in Jibaro's episode.

And yet they exacerbated the flee code without logical reason.

1 minute ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

And yet they exacerbated the flee code without logical reason.

Dunno. Ascribing malice seems too much. I'd rather believe someone pulled on a lose bit of code string and something unknotted somewhere deeper in the engine.

Now if it was something the devs noticed, tried to fix and could not, or are happy with, or actually did it on purpose? No clue.

• Like 1

Just now, Sovera said:

Dunno. Ascribing malice seems too much. I'd rather believe someone pulled on a lose bit of code string and something unknotted somewhere deeper in the engine.

Now if it was something the devs noticed, tried to fix and could not, or are happy with, or actually did it on purpose? No clue.

I didn't assign malice. Screwing up by making a change isn't malicious.

1 hour ago, Aracknight said:

If they added it to a pool, it could end up gated behind 1-3 powers like the aforementioned Acrobatics.  No deal.

Then play a brute. All brutes have taunt auras.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

I think they should actually remove the taunt effect from the scrappers that already have it.  

You can do 600dps and hold aggro?   No I don’t think that’s acceptable.  This is a multiplayer game designed to encourage teaming.  You just happen to be able to solo as well.  

The destruction of archetype roles and purpose is the main issue caused by the incarnate system.  It’s good for people who want to play a musou game.  It’s not good for the game itself. There is a reason a new musou game is released every 2 months.  They are fun but get old real quick.  

This game has some magic that has kept it in our hearts for 20 years.  I am encouraged the HC team has taken the stand they have.  Changing core parts of the game is a mistake.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Guardian survivor

1 hour ago, Brutal Justice said:

I think they should actually remove the taunt effect from the scrappers that already have it.  

You can do 600dps and hold aggro?   No I don’t think that’s acceptable.  This is a multiplayer game designed to encourage teaming.  You just happen to be able to solo as well.  

The destruction of archetype roles and purpose is the main issue caused by the incarnate system.  It’s good for people who want to play a musou game.  It’s not good for the game itself. There is a reason a new musou game is released every 2 months.  They are fun but get old real quick.  

This game has some magic that has kept it in our hearts for 20 years.  I am encouraged the HC team has taken the stand they have.  Changing core parts of the game is a mistake.

For what it's worth, Scrappers don't want a taunt aura to hold aggro, for the most part.  We don't want to be tankers.  But right now, the flee code is broken and chasing runners all the time is really, really frustrating.  If they fix the flee code back to the way it was on Live, we won't need a taunt aura.  But the way it is right now, we do.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Brutal Justice said:

Might as well roll a Stalker then. Better crits, a major ST attack, initiating combat from stealth. Only with the sets butchered to have no AoE would a Scrapper be an alternative.

That said no one should need an agro aura to play the game. In other games mobs stick around until they die. Agro auras are for tank characters so mobs direct their hate to them because otherwise the NPCs would hit anyone and everyone.

But what we get are unhinged NPCs hightailing it to the africas. Which would be ok (I seldom bother to kill every single minion if they happen to be ranged and did not want to approach. I instead bounce to the next group), except this game has kill all missions.

Still, bad as not having agro is it's still not as bad as attack power sets not having an AoE until 32. Not sure what the old devs were smoking but it must have been spoiled.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, PainX said:

oh thought it was taunt protection since it seems like a mez prot aura

Player protection from Taunt in PvE is rare to the extreme, if it exists at all.  Standard melee armor toggles certainly don't have it.  Unless there is one I'm forgetting that does, which is possible. For a very long time it simply did not exist as a thing that players in PvE had to deal with.  Struggling to think of a group prior to the Black Knights using it, but there must have been a couple instances of it before that? Some group in Praetoria proper maybe?

Aside from them, New Crey pack it, and it is in use in ASF - so we can expect to see it in future content, Hardmode releases,  and probably NPC group revamps, etc.

5 hours ago, Sovera said:

That said no one should need an agro aura to play the game. In other games mobs stick around until they die. Agro auras are for tank characters so mobs direct their hate to them because otherwise the NPCs would hit anyone and everyone.

Well said.  Aggro should be about their targeting, not their movement.  Fear/Flee ideally would be divorced from that.

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Yeah, this isn't going to change as has already been stated by a HC powers dev that no more scrapper armor sets are getting a taunt aura.  I'd take an educated guess he'd not be for adding it as a pool power either.   I think the firestorm taking them away would cause is the only thing keeping safe so many sets that have it now.  Maybe we can get them to look at toning down the running/flee code though.

In the meantime, if I want to play an armor set that doesn't have a taunt aura as a scrapper I look to brute or tank, or since I'm not a big brute or tank fan, more often stalker.  At least with stalker compared to scrapper you can usually quickly burst damage kill your target so they don't have as much chance to run.   I did try a dm/sr stalker that I didn't have too much issue with runners.  Midnight grasp also helps since it immobilizes.  Very useful against AV's who can be some of the most annoying runners, and another reason why dark melee is one of my favorite sets.   Ice melee also a good choice thanks to ice patch and that set happens to be best on a stalker.

Stone armor would have been fine if the immobilize effect of mud pots was more powerful, that'd be nice to see as an alternative.  Right now the immobilize is only mag 2, and strangely isn't even enhanceable.  Per City of Data, 2.25 seconds base, unenhanceable, with a 2 second activation.  So that means +2 or higher level things can escape thanks to purple patch. and of course anything higher than a minion ignores it completely.

8 hours ago, Sovera said:

Look at you and your sense making. I've got pretty high level exposure with other MMOs and the aggro mechanic in this game never made sense to me, and it was never really made transparent. Tankers just spam taunt and hope for the best. And...wtf, runners? OK...