The rarely talked about benefits of Kinetics

Voltak

On 8/19/2022 at 7:55 PM, MistressOhm said:

Even though CoH was the game that broke the Holy Trinity of Tank/Deeps/Healer, the devs still thought along the lines that any 'difficult' content would need different roles fulfilled.   You still needed to grab aggro and hold it.  You still needed healing or status mitigation.  And you still needed damage (and lots of it).  

They didn't think about what would happen if a buff/debuff heavy team took on ALL of those roles simultaneously, healing each other, lowering target stats to the absolute floor, and raining out a ton of damage all at the same time.  You don't need a tank if the mobs can't hit you hard, you don't need a dedicated blaster if resistances are floored and to-hit is buffed to the cap, and you don't need healers when everyone on the team can heal.   And with the FFoF runs, using unlucky (or unwitting) characters as sacrificial lambs for Vengeance/Fallout was just icing on the cake.  "No, stay down, don't port off to the hospital, we'll just TP you around and use you as a bomb." has to be one of the silliest and yet most fun ways to get PL'd in the history of MMO's.  

THis was basically our motto. 
Then when we added Pinball Wizards of Kinetics , we did a fulcrum shift then Vengeance, then Fallout , then said "What the hell we needed a blaster for again?" 

Edited by Voltak
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Voltak said:

"What the hell we needed a blaster for again?" 

Or a scrapper.  Or a tank.  

I tried out for that bunch, I think I rolled a Rad/Kin controller called Multiball Bonus.  When Vengeance went off, "Get Ready for MULTIBALL!"

• Thumbs Up 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

• 1 month later

I was... no, AM, still a proud Pinball Wizard.

A team of 8 Kineticists with Nukes turns out to be something like, "Is that Continuous Explosion coming This Way?!"

8 Kinetics with Pets was an episode of Zoo, except the rampaging pets were on just-barely-there leashes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!

On 8/20/2022 at 7:29 AM, Armaaz said:

I loved playing my old FFoF toon on live. I would join a team, someone would recognize what kind of toon I'm playing and intentionally run into the middle of a group and die. Fallout is so satisfying.

Wish I could get people to stay dead long enough on my Rad's to let me use Fallout lol. Ended up dropping it on my plant/rad troller because I wanted to do other things with her build that still fit her thematically, and Mutation to follow up Fallout was not one of them. Along with not thinking about taking TP Target to port dead folks around so I can make them boom into a spawn. If I can get people to stay dead, I think you lot just gave me some new fun for a different Rad character lol.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

All this really makes me want to try a Grav/Rad and try out @Sir Myshkin's idea of dropping Dimension Shift on a group then teleporting a corpse inside while staying outside the shifted area and kaboom!  Or coordinate with one so I Teleport away after corpse placement while the mob is hit with Dimension Shift and then 💥 

Hmmm thinking on it probably doesn't work unless the Fallout user is inside the shifted area.  *Wanders off, thoughts meandering*  or does it work?  Maybe queue up Fallout and Teleport in??  Damn do I need a functional computer.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Afterthought
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later
On 9/30/2022 at 1:32 PM, TygerDarkstorm said:

Wish I could get people to stay dead long enough on my Rad's to let me use Fallout lol. Ended up dropping it on my plant/rad troller because I wanted to do other things with her build that still fit her thematically, and Mutation to follow up Fallout was not one of them. Along with not thinking about taking TP Target to port dead folks around so I can make them boom into a spawn. If I can get people to stay dead, I think you lot just gave me some new fun for a different Rad character lol.

That's what second builds are for! You can also get away with a lot of odd picks if you know you are going to be using it in a more dedicated group (or groups that use more dedicated lower-case "t" tactics... and Tactics, too, I suppose). You certainly will not have to kit it out as much as you would your primary build.

As far as getting folks to stay dead for you, if you team with other people who also need a defeated body to use, the team manages to work that out. 7 folks running AM, the Full Leadership suite, and Fallout means the 8th is best served being defeated.

Edited by archgemini24
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!

• 1 month later
On 10/15/2022 at 11:02 AM, archgemini24 said:

7 folks running AM, the Full Leadership suite, and Fallout means the 8th is best served being defeated.

And with 'leveling up' popping all of the tier 3 Insps, if the team is going hot and fast against +4/+8 content, that sacrificial lamb won't stay down.  "Oh. grats." (blaster leeroys and faceplants even before the insps have worn off). "Okaaay, now where were we?" A couple of minutes later the blaster levels up again and pops up good as new. "Gratz again." "What? I was afk." "Just... charge that group over there, we'll come in after." "On it! RAAAH! -~* i'm ded nao".  "Ded, and dedicated. Good blaster."

• Thanks 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!