The worst thing you can do?

zenijos10

The worst thing you can do?  Step on a caltrop in bare feet.  Have scissors in your hands near a Ruin Mage.  Wear suede booties on a sewer mission.  Eat Hellfire Tacos and expect stealth to remain effective.  Take fashion advice from Clamor.

Oh the worst is people who feel the need to make their political or social commentary statements in chat.  Don't care who you vote for or who you wouldn't vote for. Don't care about your race, religion, gender (or lack thereof).  I play the game to have fun.  Want to tell bad jokes, cool.  Bad musical puns, awesome.  References to pop culture, excello.  Rant about Political X or Religious Y or Gender Z --> Ignore.  There are places for that you can go to to express yourself but its not in a fantasy game land of people who shoot lasers from their eyes.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 6/19/2022 at 9:13 AM, Sovera said:

Sticking to radio missions.

Hey, I like Radio missions...(and tips...)

Mind you.  They're getting a bit 'old in the tooth' due to a lack of variety?  I've done them to death (and still go back for more.  A bit boring?)  I think I'd like to see the Radio / Tip format expanded to include 'developer' choice AE missions integrated into the game?  We'd get far more variety real soon?

There are those that stick to TF/Strikeforce, incarnate level/uber stuff some of which needs an instruction manual to complete.  I can find that a bit sprawling and tedious in a different way.

Azrael.

37 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I like to remind them before putting them on ignore that not a single nation on the planet says you have a right to an audience. 

I suppose we have enough of prescribed mono-political downloads with 'mainstream' media and corporations lecturing us.  Political stuff in general chat?  No thanks.

CoH.  Pure escapism.

Azrael.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/19/2022 at 8:16 AM, blue4333 said:

Playing an Empathy defender with only 1 attack power, and the full Medicine pool

Or petless masterminds

😝

Yeah.  I never got that.

Or the Stone Tanker on live being a 'pure' tanker because he picked Stone fist and the rest of the powers were chosen in honour of 'tankiness' I guess.

Guess they liked Stone Fisting alot.

Azrael.

On 6/20/2022 at 6:53 PM, Luminara said:

Quitting anything isn't the worst anything that anyone can do.  Sometimes, it's just not gelling, and there are no magical success fairies who will swoop in and sprinkle win dust on us when it seems that all hope is lost.  If a team isn't working, leave.  If the *F isn't moving, leave.  If the SG isn't what you need, leave.  Adamantly refusing to let the suffering end simply because one has imposed an imaginary social contract on oneself is pointless.  Expecting that everyone else will continue to futilely beat their heads against the wall is delusional.  And outright telling others that the worst thing they can do is give up, is manipulative, because you're pinning your expectations on them, trying to force them to stay so you can succeed.

People don't always work well together.  Bad days, distractions, lack of familiarity with content or powers, poor communication, there are any number of reasons groups of players can't or don't mesh, or even coalesce long enough to function as a unit.  Sometimes it's your fault, and the best thing you can do is walk away rather than continue to drag everyone else down with you.

As for the worst thing someone can do, I see a lot of personal grievances, not much in the way of actual bad.  So I'm going to say that the worst thing anyone can do is forget that all of this didn't exist just a few years ago.  When Co* was gone, it was gone, and a lot of us here spent years trying to fill the gaping hole it left behind, unsuccessfully.  We have it all back now.  We lost some years, we lost some friends, but we still have this.  Failing to remember that, to keep in mind just how precious and rare this is and how much it means, taking it for granted, that's the worst thing any of us can do.  No petty annoyance will ever come close to being as bad as no longer cherishing what we've recovered.

second_chance.jpg.0c02463b470f9c2ba889c1aca4003ae9.jpg

Fair enough.

Azrael.

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

It would be nice to see a political argument that revolved around in game Lore for a change. I want nothing to do with people who can't play a video game without using it as a personal soapbox. Part of me misses the days when they stood shouting on a street corner. so you knew to give them LOTS (as in city blocks) of space.

Yeah.  Know what you mean.

You can't even watch an episode of Coronation Street (allegedly) without being lectured.

Azrael.

• Haha 1

Griefing. Actually, deliberately screwing up the game for other people. The worst example I've seen was the jerk (I'm being polite there) who sabotaged several Master of Lambda attempts by waiting until we had Marauder's health bar down to a sliver and then tossing a grenade on him.  Compared to that, dropping out of a TF is nothing. 

4 hours ago, Golden Azrael said:

Hey, I like Radio missions...(and tips...)

Mind you.  They're getting a bit 'old in the tooth' due to a lack of variety?  I've done them to death (and still go back for more.  A bit boring?)  I think I'd like to see the Radio / Tip format expanded to include 'developer' choice AE missions integrated into the game?  We'd get far more variety real soon?

There are those that stick to TF/Strikeforce, incarnate level/uber stuff some of which needs an instruction manual to complete.  I can find that a bit sprawling and tedious in a different way.

Azrael.

That's why I said sticking to. Radio missions give no money (if using double XP) and give no merits. As per the OP for a newbie who sticks to them will find themselves at 50 without a dime to their name as more than once this has come up.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 1:16 AM, blue4333 said:

Playing an Empathy defender with only 1 attack power, and the full Medicine pool

Hey, my Empath on Live did just about that (no full medicine, but did get the 2nd rez).  I at least had the decency to take as many Stuns as I possibly could though, so that I could lock enemies down while I wasn't healing.  Did get real boring to play as soon as a 2nd support joined the team, or all the time after the Incarnate system got past Alpha.

As far as worst thing someone can do?  Griefing's pretty far up that list (PvE and PvP).  Deliberate Mo fails come to mind.  I've even had a couple people in PvP zones single me out, one of them even to the point of trying to get into the blue-side hospital in Sirens Call as a villain so they could spawn-kill me (that guy did get banned for that one. at least). 

On 6/20/2022 at 1:53 PM, Luminara said:

As for the worst thing someone can do, I see a lot of personal grievances, not much in the way of actual bad.  So I'm going to say that the worst thing anyone can do is forget that all of this didn't exist just a few years ago.  When Co* was gone, it was gone, and a lot of us here spent years trying to fill the gaping hole it left behind, unsuccessfully.  We have it all back now.  We lost some years, we lost some friends, but we still have this.  Failing to remember that, to keep in mind just how precious and rare this is and how much it means, taking it for granted, that's the worst thing any of us can do.  No petty annoyance will ever come close to being as bad as no longer cherishing what we've recovered.

It wasn't long after I started on Homecoming, sometime in May of 2019 and was early in a Citadel TF when someone started complaining about the pool room. The first thing I thought of and said was "It could be worse. You could be playing WoW". I've used that a few times when hearing complaints about pretty minor things and the response is usually the same, "Good point".

That being said, there are plenty of things that people do that annoy me to varying degrees, but the worst is simply someone being an a$$hole. Luckily the ignore feature can take care of most issues. Although I did recently find out that there's a limit to the number of people you can ignore. It removes someone (hopefully based on length of time) from your list when you add someone new. I don't really mind this either as maybe it's time to give some people another chance and with notes I can always be reminded of the reason for ignoring.

It's a crime that most people have not embraced the church of SPIN.

That's about the worst thing you can do.

Heathens, the lot of you!

• Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

1 hour ago, JasperStone said:

*stares at current uncommon salvage prices

* puts up salvage all at 111 inf because he doesn't really pay attention, knowing full well he could get better prices at a vendor

• Haha 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

17 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

* puts up salvage all at 111 inf because he doesn't really pay attention, knowing full well he could get better prices at a vendor

Thank you for your service.

I know I list all my common and uncommon salvage at 1 inf each. Someone is currently cornering the market on uncommons so I'll do my part to try and keep the cost under 11k per.

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

37 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

I am currently using my rich farmer to post bids.

At way below market value ...hehe

/e poofgone

Someone had to quit our Synapse today for dog walking reasons and it was fine. Didn't feel worst at all. Dogs need walking.

I would say the worst thing you can do in this game is be mean about my costume 😞

• Like 1

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

I think I have a right to leave if someone cranks up the diff on a task force/strike force after starting and refuses to turn it down and it drags it out because it's they think it's good xp. After *asking*  what diff something is going to be run at before we start only to have it run higher without turning it down has made me quit before due to time constraints. If you don't think a +2 synapse takes a toll on your sanity and lasts longer than a +0 I'm not sure you've done it before. 😕

Advertising you are running a +4 manticore is different than just advertising for a manticore that you are secretly going to run at +4... I shouldn't have to explain why.  And yes... that situation happened to me and I quit.

Griefing badges might be the worst or one of them.  I know DFB can dumb, but the last one I went in a guy aoed all the zombies about 3 seconds before the boss dropped to ruin it and a a couple times a guy has ran ahead of everyone during the last group of vahz and was already attacking the zombies when the team arrived at the boss.

I worry about getting yelled at in "Master of" no death things in case I happen to be the person who messes up so almost never go.  I guess I'm glad not to do it if people intentionally troll them. 😞

Hanlon's razor: never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. 

I know I've been on some DfB's with obvious newbies.  I don't think I've ever seen any TF get griefed by someone on purpose.  And hey, if they do, drop a Note on them and block them (this saved me time just last week).  Sooner or later they'll get caught enough times to get them to leave after trying to grief gets boring when there's so few takers.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

8 hours ago, Akalabeth said:

If you don't think a +2 synapse takes a toll on your sanity and lasts longer than a +0 I'm not sure you've done it before. 😕

Advertising you are running a +4 manticore is different than just advertising for a manticore that you are secretly going to run at +4... I shouldn't have to explain why.  And yes... that situation happened to me and I quit.

I am with in agreement that TFs should be announced at +4, I run quite a few low level content at increased difficulty. So far, it is just level shifts as I think there are precious few players willing to run without enhancement bonuses. Not having 95% ToHit chances is enough of a burden. In the current era of the game, there isn't reason to surprise PUGmates this way.

However... I absolutely think players should be willing to play the lower level TF/SF content with difficulties turned up. These offer a different sort of challenge, and IMO they channel the feel of what the game was like at launch, when so little was "guaranteed", including 30-minute TFs.  I played on a "secret" +3 Synapse (8-player PUG). At the time, I didn't enjoy it, but it "only" took an extra 30 minutes. I was recently on a (shorthanded, 4-player) Posi 1 PUG that was +2(?)/x8... it took 90 minutes, but we got through... with dozens of deaths along the way, but we got through.

Steeping deep into a "kids these days" mode, writing without knowing the details of any particular PUG: Manticore at +4 should NOT be a problem for a team which includes a couple of lvl 50s. IIRC, exemplared players will have access to their nukes and early epic/patron pool powers (assuming the lead is passed to a max level). I suppose that the first defeat all could be a drag depending on Moment(s) of Glory, and "stealthing" past +4 spawns may not be as trivial (especially if relying on soft-capped defenses to click an objective in a crowded end-mission room).