Travel Powers - Some Better, Some Much Worse

Troo

5 hours ago, Krimson said:

Try and find Babbage in Boomtown in 30 seconds. You can't even get to the closest spawn point. 

Hence 'rarely'. How often does the typical player go hunt in Boomtown for Babbage?

7 hours ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

the old afterburner speed boost was folded into fly, the new af is another boost added on top.

I love SJ, but it ain't my favorite because i'm lazy and fly is so easy.  I'd use TP more, but i had a bad experience with a rope bridge once.  SS is great until you leave Praetoria.

I didn't say that 😛

2 hours ago, kelika2 said:

Not a lot of folks have spare slots for travel powers.  Even fewer realize you can use Universal sets or Micro hamis to boost its run and jump.

3 universal infiltration + base slot sprint = 80mph range.  characters with [Quickness] or variants are higher.

With that said, many of my characters have Evasive Maneuvers and Infiltration 6 slotted.  3 travel, 3 def procs.

Throw in the Thrust unique to potentially hit the speed cap.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

6 hours ago, Krimson said:

Super Jump+Double Jump can almost make it across Boomtown. Not quite. Better than Afterburner though.

I just don't understand why we need a timer at all? Those extra powers aren't going to get much use in a mission. I could see it being toggled off by attacking.

Completely unrelated: In 2004 the top speed of a Honda Civic was 124 mph. The current model can hit 137 mph.  Faster than any living being in Paragon. This is why there are no missions where the villains jump in a hatchback to make a getaway... 

So technically speaking the bruiser from thugs MM is probably the fastest character in game ? He comes in on a motorcycle when you summon him 

19 minutes ago, Rokkeb said:

So technically speaking the bruiser from thugs MM is probably the fastest character in game ? He comes in on a motorcycle when you summon him 

Well, the robots drop in crates, which probably reached terminal velocity...

11 hours ago, cohoriginal said:

I want COMPLETE invisibility WITH defense...there I said it.

Stealth (the power) gives you complete invisibility with defense (7-10% depending on AT), 3/4 of which suppresses when you click/attack something or are attacked.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 6/22/2022 at 3:34 PM, Krimson said:

Where exactly is the threat of letting someone fly a little faster for more than 30 seconds? We have this game which is allegedly about being super, but it's not. It's about being almost super. No one asked for Afterburner to be changed.

Fine, give me a freaking Honda Civic hatchback and I'll leave every sentient being in the dust.

Almost Super

>.>

<.<

*sneaks off to make alt

/e poofgone

I agree that superjump just doesn't work for me.  I use infiltration and combat jumping on most toons.  I actually have super jump on a toon because I needed a 2nd power to get to acrobatics and used SJ as a mule, but never bothered putting super jump into my power tray.

• Thanks 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 6/21/2022 at 12:19 PM, Techwright said:

I'm quite content with hover/fly and super jump (the new version with the stomp).  I have a single character with superspeed w/teleport, and I've often considered respec'ing him out of that.  Too many canyon-like spots to get stuck in, too many tight caves to do a vertical faceplant. 

What might get me to like superspeed simply cannot be done in the game, which is make the vertical surfaces static-y allowing the speedster to run up walls.  That negates the canyon issue, though not necessarily the faceplant issue in tight caves.

I get a headache working teleport, which is sad because Nightcrawler is my favorite X-man.

I still say we should have had anti-grav grappling hooks.  We could "websling" anywhere then.

SJ + Combat Teleport is my favorite combo!  I have shift + WASD set to combat-TP me a short distance in that direction, so I use it in combat all the time and it feels super nightcrawler.  the only difference is the forward one (shift+W) goes max distance, so if I'm running or superjumping forward, I can just hit shift without taking my finger off the W and skip over a gap, conserving momentum.  Then I replace F with combat TP to target, it's great and works on allies, and without line of sight, so you can jump over and heal or get the runners real quick.  I keep the power itself on my mouse's side button so i can just point and click.

Combat teleport changed the game for me!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Jump got a lot better for me once I saw someone post the bind that lets me be lazy with it:   /bind J "powexec_toggleon Super Jump$$++autorun$$++up"

Also like it more as it now works well to get quickly across even the shadow shard zones thanks to double jump.

Infiltration is my go to now though unless my character already has a stealth power in their primary/secondary.  It is just so versatile and does so many things in one power.  Not to mention the only tier 3 travel power that you can slot a LoTG in, so even if I'd normally be tempted to skip a travel power entirely, it is worth taking just for that a lot of the time.

9 hours ago, Uun said:

Stealth (the power) gives you complete invisibility with defense (7-10% depending on AT), 3/4 of which suppresses when you click/attack something or are attacked.

Sorry I probably should've clarified, I need the toon animation to be completely invisible just like how it was before concealment changed and how it is in the illusion power set.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, cohoriginal said:

Sorry I probably should've clarified, I need the toon animation to be completely invisible just like how it was before concealment changed and how it is in the illusion power set.

Go to the tailor. Change the color setting to Invisible Bright or Invisible Dark. You'll be completely invisible.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

I love infiltration, it’s great for my more natural characters and I quite enjoy having to consider and interact with the environment more to get from A to B! 

• Thanks 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

18 hours ago, Uun said:

Go to the tailor. Change the color setting to Invisible Bright or Invisible Dark. You'll be completely invisible.

you rock mane! did not know this was here and its even more invis than on illusion, TYVM good sir you made my day! 😎

Edited by cohoriginal

• 2 weeks later

some good tips on travel use and combinations!

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 3 weeks later
On 6/21/2022 at 9:28 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

I can tell roughly how long ago I made an alt by whether or not they have a travel power at all or not.

Nowadays, I start out with Athletic Run and a 5k inf flight pack from the P2W vendor, and with Sprint and (probably) Combat Jumping I'm good to go!

Exceptions:  Thematic characters, challenge builds, anything requiring two early picks from Sorcery or Force of Will power pools.

Building a Natural character and pointedly skipping any Super travel powers really does add to the immersion

• Like 2

Travel power is almost universally decided by concept for me, but I have a strong preference for Flight so if I'm building a character with powers that can justify them being able to fly, that's what I'm going to pick.  Hover (with NoPose) + Fly for actual travel, and Hover in combat.

Probably my second-most common travel power is... Ninja Run.  My Katana/Willpower, my MA/Willpower, my Ninja Blade/Ninjitsu, my Staff/Willpower... pretty much all my Naturals use Ninja Run.  And nearly ALL of my characters use Ninja Run or Athletic Run (or in one and only one case, Beast Run) until they are done with Kings Row, because there is no need for a travel power that early.  The only exceptions are a few characters where Fly is so integral to their concept that I had to take it early.

I take Super Jump when it fits with someone's powers.  Kitten America has Super Jump because because she has wiry, feline musculature that is good at pouncing, though really SJ is higher and farther than she really ought to be able to jump.  But then, CJ isn't high and far enough, so I had to compromise.  Kitten also has Infiltration because cats are ambush predators.  Sylvie Stardrive has Super Jump because she has a powersuit with a powerful exomusculature that means she absolutely can leap tall buildings in a single bound., and hefty shock absorbers in the legs to handle those hard landings  (I feel sorry for the pavement, though)!  Similarly for a few other characters who take SJ.

almost never take Super Speed because it drives me nuts.  But there are a couple of exceptions.  Two of my characters that are remakes from Live take Super Speed because they had it oriignally and I want to be consistent.  And my Ice/Ice Blaster uses SS with Slide Stance.  All of them take Combat Jumping and they keep a Jump Pack handy.

My Dark Melee/Regen Brute needs to go Sorcery anyway for Rune of Protection, so she has Mystic Flight.

• Thanks 1

So, about Super Speed.... a travel power I almost never take... I decided to give it a "fair shake", 'cuz:

• I'm know the doors on well-worn TFs, so speeding to them can be second nature (start fighting those scrubs ASAP!)
  • This is a Dominator, so I was going to be in the Speed pool anyway

...and I discovered something really weird about it.

If Super Speed is slotted with a Thrust: Running Speed/Increase Running Speed, and Super Speed is toggled on... I also tend to have Sprint and Athletic Run also toggled on, but not Speed Phase, it is possible to run through (some) chain link fences and a few other "see through" map artifacts. If another enhancement piece like a Universal Travel set is slotted in Super Speed, this effect goes away. The posts between chain-link fences will still stop the character.

I don't know if this is a bug or "working as intended", but it is actually kind of cool to NOT have to jump over certain map effects.

I haven't seen that for a while @tidge. It did happen in Siren's Call where we could get on the other side of fence to TP Foe folks into a semi enclosed area.

image.png.34bfda78f09995a973ccac2a08c9cb58.png

Ah, the memories.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

With help from @Bopper and a few other comments from other players, it looks as if 'walking through (certain) fences' is a thing (even with just Sprint!), but as a character approaches the Running Speed Limit of 120 mph (no matter the source, no matter the slotting) it becomes much 'easier' to pass through the fences.... possibly due to server/client effects.

I definitely remember that jerk hack from Siren's Call!

On 6/21/2022 at 2:05 PM, Luminara said:

Almost all of my characters use it.  I recognize that it's not as fast as Super Speed, but it's fast enough, and it doesn't jump as high as Super Jump, but it jumps high enough.  It's not the best at either movement, but it's good enough at both.  And I'm not competing in an imaginary race to determine who's digital penis is girthier, so if someone else is reaching a mission door 8.62 seconds sooner, or sneaking to the last room on a mission map 5 seconds faster, with another travel power, it doesn't mean anything to me.

As far as I'm concerned, Infiltration is the bee's knees.

This is pretty much the same as my opinion.  I take Infiltration as a default and only use others if there's a combat reason for it. 

However, just to be clear, I also have girth-o-plenty.

Regarding Super Jump.  The thing I don't like about it now is that it's got no ups.  I go plenty high, but the speed is off.  I go forward so much faster then I go up it's weird.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow