What got you into playing Dominators?

Voltak

When CoV Beta came out I checked out each AT. I thought MM's we're clunky (this is before Sandolphan's numpad keybinds which I find required to play the AT), Brute's were fun, Stalkers we're great stealthing newspapers and for spiking multiple AS's on people for PvP that had horrible perception, Corruptors got me pretty stoked for a more offensive defender (I used to main a PvP empathy defender which I was a little bit notorious for kill stealing people), but my god Dominators were a work of art.

Mezzes plus a mixture of ranged/melee DPS, it seemed like a great PvP AT for ruining Blaster's as this was before they could use the t1/t2 while mezzed, and while mezzed we're actually useful in PvP. I made several namely a grav/fire that I made for a theme and my fire/psy Domi and discovered that they worked really well running TV missions and farming up alts.

Back on Live I had become frustrated with my only 50 at the time. A Dark/Fire Brute. I didn't have a lot of money in game to pimp him out and Fire Armor was in a bad spot Redside. The mobs would really just tear his ass up and it wasn't a great deal of fun. So i rolled a Mind/Nrg Dom for some reason and just loved it. Ended up joining HTTT (Holdthem; Touchthem) VG and ended up rolling like 12 more doms. Plant ended up being my fav once I found out about it. Now, I have about 25 Doms and my fav, for some reason, is my Ice/Nrg/Ice.  

It had actually taken me a few tries. On Virtue my original intent was to make I believe a fire control/electric assault dominator named Heat Lightning since back then red side effects were always colored red because villains and such. Unfortunately the name was taken as well as several variants and I just lost interest. I later tried a plant/thorn dom but it just didn't click with me despite I know it was a good combo. Eventually though I finally made a mind/fiery assault dominator and it was quite powerful. This was before we could naturally perma dom and needed the help of kins to get there.

I found the combo quite strong and brutal, and when able to get it perma dommed of course back then was a nice chunk of DPS. Also was fun in PvP before the changes in issue 13. A series of events going on for the past year and leading up to Issue 13 basically put me in my final straw moment and I ended up leaving.

Now here on Everlasting, I have made a dark/savage dominator I love. I am waiting for Illusion Control to come out because, of all the sets, that should have been on a villain character as either a dominator power set or even a mastermind set. Can't wait to play it, since the big illusionists in comics are villains.

Edited by Ravenwulfe

I got into doms because it was the first toon i made when COV released. I never cared for controllers in COH because they were so reliant on having a team for those first 32 levels. So my first COH toon was a Blaster. When i looked at the choices for COV, it seemed either i had a choice of a pet intensive AT that would have little of his own powers and would be support to a team, or a blastery AT that would also be looked at by a team as support (and i dont realy ever cared to be a support toon and be johnny on the spot with heals and such) or i could do a control set with a blasterish/melee combo secondary. 

Well that third option spoke to me because it felt the most independent of the 3. I knew what the ranged blaster sets could do, and figured with controls that provided me some protection i never got as a blaster. My first was a Grav/nrgy dom. And that was kind of an ouch. I managed it ok, but i didnt feel that strong or that controlling. But after i made a Fire/Earth dom. And that one was great, even better when perma dom (that was my first perma) And now i have like 12 doms i think. They are by far my most used AT, probably even over my blaster now. 

Back in the before times, I didn't like leveling up my "real" characters on Double XP weekends, so I'd find other stuff to do. One of those weekends, I decided I was going to get six villains on a second account to level 15 so they could go to Bloody Bay and be farmed by my main for the reputation badges.

I didn't play villains much, and this was I think between GoRo launch and non-epic ATs being able to start on either side, so this was my first real experience playing brute/corruptor/dominator/stalker. (I did get a mastermind to 50.) Three of the four felt quickly familiar, more or less (Fury/assassination made some difference to bruting/stalkering, but they were still melee types). Dominator took a while to figure out; it finally clicked that it was a blapper with controls.

My main is a very controlly blaster. (I refused to blap in the before times. I've changed that with Homecoming, thanks in large part to discovering dominators.) Once it clicked, I loved it. I made a dominator as my main's Praetorian, and the dominator I rolled the day I bought the game was my very last 50. Those two characters were also the second and third I rolled and got to 50 with Homecoming. My blaster's still my main, but I think dominator's my favorite archetype.

• Like 1

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

Back in the days where LRSF was released and this TF was "THE THING" to beat as end content i was rolling my Enrg/Elec brute. I remember to have access to be part of a LRSF team you have to roll a Stone Tank or a Corruptor mostly. There was not other AT to bring to this TF other than those. 

So what happened is that a friend playing a Mind/Energy dominator achieved permadom on my server. This was a very early crafting system implementation in game with a few sets available. Between sets and Hamis you could achieve a very tight permadom. My friend Chaos Rift once got his permadom ongoing just broke the whole ending game. He went to LRSF put all the Freedom Phalanx to perma sleep (he was the first to do this in game) and the days of FoTM team to complete LRSF were over. 

I remember my first time when i saw him doing this while we were running the TF and telling myslef: " I got to roll a dominator... thats the most OP toon i ever seen"

So i started with my Mind/Ice and then a bunch of different combos. Dominator is by far my favorite AT since those days. My main now is a Dark/Rad and still enjoy everytime i play with her.

Edited by serxiom

I started on Live about 1 year before it shut down.

My first dominator was an electric/electric, I liked the look of the power sets more than anything else.

Then I found out about dropping static fields before closing for melee.

Not an honorable fight, but FUN. 

It took me 16 years to roll a Dom to 50. Full transparency: I don’t like playing them, I’d much rather be a Controller or a Blaster, but there is one Dom combo that lets me do something unique that I can’t quite pull off any other way, and that’s Gravity/Fire.

Wanted to do some kind of Fire Blaster for a long time but they never seemed to stick, and I’ve toyed with a lot of renditions of Gravity Controllers trying to find something that amused me with Dimension Shift, but it wasn’t until Fold Space that it finally clicked and I found my ultimate lazy Blaster. There’s nothing, not even a Tank, that can control enemy placement like this build can. Tossing and yanking spawns across rooms at the whim of a button, dropping them into a Rain of Fire and Fire Ball doom.

Then, when there is a team rolling I can just pull and pull and pull and they keep slashing and hacking and never questioning why the hordes don’t seem to stop pouring from the sky in a blissful shower of XP.

Some builds just wanna watch the world burn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got into Doms because I like reading build & concept posts on the forums and keep thinking, "OOOO that looks like fun!" 

Got an Ice/Nrg, Fire/Fire, Mine/Savage, and Dark/Martial each to 50 before giving up on them and switching to back Controllers and Blasters because the Doms just didn't seem to have the same survivability or defeat things quickly enough.

Now I'm trying an Illusion/Martial because I have a sweet concept the Dark/Martial didn't quite match, so hopefully the fun quotient will outweigh the wimpiness.

Had an ice/ice/ice Dom back on live that, by the standards back then, was extremely powerful and useful to the team. Between the control, damage and even debuffing sleet, I felt like the toon could do it all.

Now I have a plant/psi/ice, elec/elec/mu, ice/ice/ice, dark/savage/power and I'll probably make an illusion/something/something at some point.

Dominators are just really active and require a level of concentration that I just don't get out of other AT's.

I only played CoV on live.

I mained a brute, but my favorite alt was Spookshow Baby, a Mind/Thorns Dom.  A little while later I rolled Supermassive, a Grav/En Dom.  Both were inspired by songs (Rob Zombie & Muse, respectively) and I never really got them very high, maybe to the 20s or 30s?.

I stopped playing around i9. 

Since HC has been back I enjoy Doms for the challenges they present in designing builds and their exceptional utility in all types of teams, from slow RP rolls to speed. I think I have 3 or 4, still? I know I've deleted a few.

My all-time favorite is a Grav/MA that I rolled as a temporary RP character originally.  She grew on me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
Spoiler
Posted October 18 (edited)

Back in the days where LRSF was released and this TF was "THE THING" to beat as end content i was rolling my Enrg/Elec brute. I remember to have access to be part of a LRSF team you have to roll a Stone Tank or a Corruptor mostly. There was not other AT to bring to this TF other than those. 

So what happened is that a friend playing a Mind/Energy dominator achieved permadom on my server. This was a very early crafting system implementation in game with a few sets available. Between sets and Hamis you could achieve a very tight permadom. My friend Chaos Rift once got his permadom ongoing just broke the whole ending game. He went to LRSF put all the Freedom Phalanx to perma sleep (he was the first to do this in game) and the days of FoTM team to complete LRSF were over. 

I remember my first time when i saw him doing this while we were running the TF and telling myslef: " I got to roll a dominator... thats the most OP toon i ever seen"

So i started with my Mind/Ice and then a bunch of different combos. Dominator is by far my favorite AT since those days. My main now is a Dark/Rad and still enjoy everytime i play with her.

@serxiom That. Way back when, if we wanted a molrsf we'd have to beg a friend to bring their mind/nrg domi along to perma sleep the phalanx so we could single target pull heroes one at a time to get the badge. I was running my first vill a bots/bubs and most days i'd be teamed with a mind/fire domi which is why i ended up rolling one and the only other domis i have that i enjoy as much are a mind/nrg/mace and a earth/fire/fire. Single targets you can't beat mind with energy/fire but for an aoe machine earth/fire is just so much fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Meknomancer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Posted October 18 (edited)

@serxiom That. Way back when, if we wanted a molrsf we'd have to beg a friend to bring their mind/nrg domi along to perma sleep the phalanx so we could single target pull heroes one at a time to get the badge. I was running my first vill a bots/bubs and most days i'd be teamed with a mind/fire domi which is why i ended up rolling one and the only other domis i have that i enjoy as much are a mind/nrg/mace and a earth/fire/fire. Single targets you can't beat mind with energy/fire but for an aoe machine earth/fire is just so much fun.

After i made my Mind/Ice for LRSF, back on those days i remember made a Fire/Thorn Dominator to farm the Family map in GV, That Dominator was fairly quick in comparition to fire Brutes. Today i have Dark/Rad, Ice/Energ, Mind/Dark, Plant/Martial, Ill/Ice and Elec/Elec. Got plans for a Stone/Fire next.  

My redside farmer on the tv maps was a fire/psy/soul. On HC i can't keep track of toons, mind/fire, mind/nrg. earth/fire, earth/dark, elecx2, plant/dark, plant/fire, elec/martial, elec/psy, ill/nrg, ill/thorns, ill/psy, icex2, ice/sonic, darkx2, grav/psy, mind/psy, firex2, fire/psy...probably more but they are scattered over multiple servers and 2 accounts now and i often forget what i've made 😛

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later

I was grinding several toons to 50, and every pug i joined had Dom on it that made everything so easy.  When a bothersome dark/poison controller finally dinged, a fire/fire dom asked me what was next and i told them I didn't know.  They suggested a dominator because there weren't many. Made a plant/martial next and played it until I got it t4'd.

• 1 month later

I started some dom's because I never played them before and there were two things that finally hit me

1. With the right primary and perma dom active you can literally render just about any map "controlled"

2. Once you do that if you couple it with the fire secondary and epic power sets, you flat out damage most other AT builds.  I personally find that if you hold the entire map then the secondary effects of your secondary powers don't do much to change any outcomes and fire secondaries and epics do a tone of singlle target and AOE damage.

For a long time I've tried and failed to really gel with Domis, although I've always thought on paper they were the perfect swiss army knife AT; lots of hard control, a permanent pet, blasts and melee attacks and with proliferation a really nice choice of available powers and power combos that would lend themselves to pretty much any character theme.

I'd tried various combos but never really stuck with them much past level 20 or so.  I had one Dark / Fire domi that I stuck with, played him to late 30s and logged on over the weekend after not playing him for ages to find that he'd got 40 mil inf in the bank.  Bit of build research, and a relatively cheap more or less fully IO'd build later and I'm having an absolute blast.  Domination isn't perma yet (I'm about 130% recharge with hasten), but even that massive recharge number means that the really strong group control powers are up much, much more often, meaning my squishy face is far less likely to be pressed against the floor.

I've realised that they are the very definition of a late bloomer and it's perfectly OK to put more slots in the secondary than I might otherwise do with other ATs, but I'll definitely be making a lot more.  Currently working on a lec / lec, but I've got a whole load of ideas for other combinations to try out, including the very first Domi I tried when CoV came out; Grav / NRG.

ahem

1649274755_Screenshot(1074).png.de34c8f5499584c142396e750c70f020.png

efwd.png.71aee5b105f52899551155d8f0374efa.png

815611805_Screenshot(1075).png.5248461ed315b83c5a856cdca423e288.png

307194272_Screenshot(1075)1.png.ce5d201ab5f6e5fd1b3951fd048194b8.png

efwd4.thumb.png.a41234489b1dc09a6383af7b7644e2cd.png

D O M I N A T I O N

Domination is the closest thing this game (and many other) has come to an "anime power up" mechanic that manages to be engaging, powerful, mechanically sustainable, consistent, but doesn't outshine other methods of play or invalidate other characters. It's a very cool mechanic that helps keep them far and away the most POWERFUL option for CC, but doesnt invalidate the Controller due to Controller's secondaries being widely more useful to a team than Dominator's Assault sets (DPS is nice, but, just about everyone can DPS if they build it hard enough). I love Dominators, because with the click of a button I'm literally twice as powerful as I was a second ago, I'm effectively immune to enemy CC, my endurance is refreshed in case it was low, and this is going to last till the end of most dungeons and CERTAINLY through a boss fight.

I got into playing dominators, because I envisioned a character whose psychic ego was so immense that they could shut down other psychics just because they loved themselves more than any psychic could control them.

For further illustration...

Resident certified baby

• 2 weeks later

I have many many toons-but considered DOMs the weakest link in the COH chain. II now have 5 decked out, 2 more very soon.

I found out this  IF blasters need to kill or die...DOMs need to control or die.   Not the deepest revelation..but there it is.  

• 2 weeks later