Too strong

Troo

4 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Thanks for proving you don't understand simple math.

Oh I get it just fine.  I just see it as highly inaccurate, not based on any facts - only bias and not achievable to have each AT 100% equal - there will always be synergizes and variances otherwise you are playing city of vanilla.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Infinitum said:

Oh I get it just fine.  I just see it as highly inaccurate, not based on any facts - only bias and not achievable to have each AT 100% equal - there will always be synergizes and variances otherwise you are playing city of vanilla.

Which all get completely washed out when you're considering every possible combo amongst the three ATs and going for the average performance amongst them.

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Bill Z Bubba said:

Which all get completely washed out when you're considering every possible combo amongst the three ATs and going for the average performance amongst them.

Every possible combo does not exist similarly across all the ATs and the ones that do are not 100% the same.

That is why what you want is not possible and not at all logical.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Ok, so do faceplants matter? When the brute at lvl 30 on SOs fails to complete a mission at +4/x8 where the tank succeeds, and the time to complete goes to the tank, does it matter?

So you are talking about survival again. A Tanker will win. Tankers can handle tougher content earlier by design. You do seem to be struggling with that even though it has been mentioned a few times.

The Brute will get there but It will clear faster., especially if there are some hard targets.  

It proves nothing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Tankers are much more played and enjoyed because they've become the OP melee AT that so many that don't give a shit about balance hoped for. It's just a shame that so many care more about being OPAF than they do AT balance.

Just your small opinion and not necessarily reality. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 3:52 PM, Troo said:

Given the changes in Beta, we may be coming into the Age of Tankers.

..because why wouldn't we?

can you link me the proposed changes which benefit tanks mate? i’m considering making my 3rd alt in three years to play through goldside then night ward etc.. never mained a tank before, could be something new

• Haha 1

Click the Focused Feedback links before for details related to potential upcoming changes that could impact tanking.

Enemy Aggro Revamp [Focused Feedback: Enemy Aggro Revamp]

Enemy Aggro Behavior Adjustments

Attack Typing Adjustments [Focused Feedback: Attack Typing Adjustments]

NPC Attack Type Adjustments

Powers

Toggle Suspension (New Tech!) [Focused Feedback: Toggle Suspension]

Really a lot of the changes that boosted Tanks happened (worth a peek):

hope that's what you're looking for @MoonSheep

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

49 minutes ago, Troo said:

Click the Focused Feedback links before for details related to potential upcoming changes that could impact tanking.

Enemy Aggro Revamp [Focused Feedback: Enemy Aggro Revamp]

Enemy Aggro Behavior Adjustments

Attack Typing Adjustments [Focused Feedback: Attack Typing Adjustments]

NPC Attack Type Adjustments

Powers

Toggle Suspension (New Tech!) [Focused Feedback: Toggle Suspension]

Really a lot of the changes that boosted Tanks happened (worth a peek):

hope that's what you're looking for @MoonSheep

thanks man 🙂 

time to spend the next few months thinking about which powers to choose..

There are some comically strong statements about only caring about math and balance and facts made in this thread.   I’m sure if I entered the discussion with my personal balance axe to grind I could make many hypocritical quotes.  Just comical really.  

In my experience brutes are much quicker at early levels thanks to fury.  Cranking the diff on a super reflexes tank in the early levels is such a boring slog.  You don’t even have the accuracy to hit those higher level mobs.

Archetype modifiers don’t really even come into play until lvl 20? So the higher damage mod of the tank doesn’t help at all in those levels while fury is cooking right along from level 1.  Tanks generally have fairly few aoe options before lvl 28-38 so the increased aoe area doesn’t come into play that much.  Plus solo you can easily group the mobs into the smaller aoe.   

Running mostly on SOs the tank isn’t even going to feel like they can keep pace with a brute until the mid 40s and by then the leveling time gap is quite large 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Guardian survivor

The only way I can think of to have perfect balance is to take every set and line them up side by side T 1-9 and standardize everything about that tier from accuracy, endurance, damage, recharge and animation time. This would basically make every power tier the same with different flavors of damage which would probably invalidate the balance.

Then for those ATs like controllers, start making trade offs to add the needed controls. Since you would be adjusting the damage to add the controls, you would have to move that damage to another power.

That way if every power was activated they would end up doing the same damage in the same length of time for every AT.

You would be rewriting most of the game.

See everyone in CoH 2!

Edited by Marshal_General
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/17/2022 at 8:21 AM, Marshal_General said:

The only way I can think of to have perfect balance

You provided an incredibly narrow view of powerset balance.

Another view would be time from 1 to 50 solo on SOs. Another would be time from 1 to 50 solo on basic IOs. Another would be time from 1 to 50 solo on IO sets. Each run pushing difficulty to the no faceplant range.

Adjusting for these performance ranges wouldn't involved rewriting the entire game. It would only involve altering the base AT damage mods.

• 3 months later

Wow, long thread! I've only dabbled in a few Tankers to date (more of a ranged/pet afficianado!): WP/SS, Bio/Dark, Inv/Fire(from my live days - got this one to 30 or so from memory).

A couple brutes I tried I just couldn't warm to, but tankers could be more my style for super-safe, if not fast, solo levelling. And therein lies the rub: I mostly, if not exclusively solo, so whatever I pick needs to have the chops to:

A. be fun, enjoyable, not too slow & not constantly at death's door levelling SOLO

B. be something I can build a theme costume & name around e.g. my recent WP/SS 'Basic Bob' I made for shits&giggles, pure black/white costume, older hero with the bald/recending hairline (like me lol!), big fat 'B' on his chest - but was a bit of fun for a few levels he he. I'd also prefer a 'heroic' build & theme, so I'm not just playing a stat-stick, eh.

Ok, so Dark/Dark has piqued by interest - will that suit my solo tastes, or will I get frustrated in the tween/teens & 20s, like so many other classes? I really don't want a mainly endgame build, which I never get to, because I get bored & move on to the next AT/build. Did I mention I have rampant alt-o-holism...? 😉

Any/all advice on some tanker builds you guys have really enjoyed on soloing to 50 & beyond, much appreciated! Or is a Brute really the better way to go solo...?

Game over man, game over!

1 hour ago, Nostromo21 said:

Wow, long thread! I've only dabbled in a few Tankers to date (more of a ranged/pet afficianado!): WP/SS, Bio/Dark, Inv/Fire(from my live days - got this one to 30 or so from memory).

A couple brutes I tried I just couldn't warm to, but tankers could be more my style for super-safe, if not fast, solo levelling. And therein lies the rub: I mostly, if not exclusively solo, so whatever I pick needs to have the chops to:

A. be fun, enjoyable, not too slow & not constantly at death's door levelling SOLO

B. be something I can build a theme costume & name around e.g. my recent WP/SS 'Basic Bob' I made for shits&giggles, pure black/white costume, older hero with the bald/recending hairline (like me lol!), big fat 'B' on his chest - but was a bit of fun for a few levels he he. I'd also prefer a 'heroic' build & theme, so I'm not just playing a stat-stick, eh.

Ok, so Dark/Dark has piqued by interest - will that suit my solo tastes, or will I get frustrated in the tween/teens & 20s, like so many other classes? I really don't want a mainly endgame build, which I never get to, because I get bored & move on to the next AT/build. Did I mention I have rampant alt-o-holism...? 😉

Any/all advice on some tanker builds you guys have really enjoyed on soloing to 50 & beyond, much appreciated! Or is a Brute really the better way to go solo...?

Honestly for solo leveling Scrapper will be faster clearing story arcs.  (With good powersets and build).  Or if you want super safe just run a Energy/Willpower Brute.  At anything even level that will grind through 

• Thumbs Up 2