Mandalorian Season 3

FYI: Bothan spies have leaked a chunk of Mando S3 trailer online, which can be found readily on the Twitters.

I'll update here when there's an official drop, because we don't need any Imperial entanglements - plus there's a chunk of it missing at the start, and they might change something before release.

Stuff we can see:

• There are many, many Mandos in this one. Clearly, not that many got wiped out last time.
  • There's a closeup/framing shot of a delicately curved blue/silver helmet (ie: BEHOLD THIS HELMET: IT IS DRAMATICALLY FRAMED AND LIT AND THEREFORE DRAMATICALLY IMPORTANT) which may or may not be significant to Clone Wars or Rebels fans - I'm not that deep a nerd to know immediately.
  • Buncha buncha Babu Friks.
  • Big, black, extra-meanie-looking Imperial ship in a dockyard (Thrawn?)
  • Space battle set around an asteroid base. Video is too blurry to see opponent ships but they don't look like TIEs - might be A-Wings.
  • Bo-Katan is back and playing mommy to Grogu...
  • ...whereas Dad makes sure he holds him tightly down while doing a barrel roll - so that's a Star Wars/Starfox crossover confirmed then?
  • Also, Grogu's on his lap because there's a droid in the mech port of the Wizard Fighter - guess he's getting over that particular hangup.
  • Final shot looks maybe like the ruins of Sundari. The nerds in the room seemed to know it pretty well.
  • Added intel from Reddit: the final shot might also feature a Mandalorian Gauntlet-class fighter/transport, which is used by quite a few bad guys as well as Bo-Katan.

Let the wild, unfounded speculation begin... again?

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:08 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

FYI: Bothan spies have leaked a chunk of Mando S3 trailer online, which can be found readily on the Twitters.

I'll update here when there's an official drop, because we don't need any Imperial entanglements - plus there's a chunk of it missing at the start, and they might change something before release.  I've not seen this rogue one, but I'll respond to your points.

Stuff we can see:

• There are many, many Mandos in this one. Clearly, not that many got wiped out last time.
  • Are they all wearing helmets, or are some without?  The "cult" Mandos were the ones that took the hit.  Knowing we're working with Bo Katan, I'd expect there to be a lot of her people, Night Owls and just followers.
  • There's a closeup/framing shot of a delicately curved blue/silver helmet (ie: BEHOLD THIS HELMET: IT IS DRAMATICALLY FRAMED AND LIT AND THEREFORE DRAMATICALLY IMPORTANT) which may or may not be significant to Clone Wars or Rebels fans - I'm not that deep a nerd to know immediately.
  • I'm assuming you refer to a Mandalorian helmet?  And it's not Bo Katan's blue/white owl-faced helmet?
  •   image.png.99f8ff8e7f4e4f1779ea391de7b96602.png
  • Buncha buncha Babu Friks. 
  • I wondered when the little guy would show up again, though he's Sequel Trilogy, right?  That's like 25 years in the future.  Might be interesting to see a younger version.
  • Big, black, extra-meanie-looking Imperial ship in a dockyard (Thrawn?)
  • No clue.  When last we knew of him, his flagship was nothing like that, but it's been over a decade.  Might it be a flashback to Moff Gideon before the Night of A Thousand Tears?
  • Space battle set around an asteroid base. Video is too blurry to see opponent ships but they don't look like TIEs - might be A-Wings.
  • Bo-Katan is back and playing mommy to Grogu...
  • ...whereas Dad makes sure he holds him tightly down while doing a barrel roll - so that's a Star Wars/Starfox crossover confirmed then?
  • Also, Grogu's on his lap because there's a droid in the mech port of the Wizard Fighter - guess he's getting over that particular hangup.
  • Interesting:  I thought Pele had told him she'd ripped out the droid port to make it a seat.  Did they reinstall it, I wonder?
  • Final shot looks maybe like the ruins of Sundari. The nerds in the room seemed to know it pretty well. 
  • Well, season 2 hinted strongly that Din was headed to Mandalore, so it makes sense.  Sundari was a massive city in a bubble.  Not sure how it would even be recognizable after getting point-blank nuked.
  • Added intel from Reddit: the final shot might also feature a Mandalorian Gauntlet-class fighter/transport, which is used by quite a few bad guys as well as Bo-Katan.
  • Was it red by any chance?  Maul owned a red one for a while.  It eventually left his employee and ended up at Yavin IV.

Let the wild, unfounded speculation begin... again?

Edited by Techwright

Well, here goes:

• All the Mandos in the battle scenes are helmeted. Bo appears without hers briefly when talking to Grogu.
  • The VERY IMPORTANT HELMET is not Bo-Katan's, as she's shown wearing the owl helm later. It's much simpler, but elegantly painted: blue gradiented to cyan around the mouth area, with silver reinforcement along the cheeks. Reverse image searching doesn't give any specific matches, but did pull up a lot of references to Canderous Ordo. He'd be a bit old to be in this series, but an idea on that below.
  • There are three Frik-type creatures working together on something.
  • The unknown Imperial ship is big, very black and kinda chonky - thicker "sandwich" filling than usual between the diamond top and bottom structures.
  • The final shot shows the Gauntlet (silver, not red) hovering over a planet. As the clouds part, a distinctive round cityscape in a desert becomes visible below. Chunks of ruined dome are visible on one side with smaller wall pieces around the rim: the remains of four graceful arcing structures can be seen, along with a small number of large buildings. Not quite like Boomtown, more ghost town.
  • Three other notes:
    • The Imperial comms officer who's been working alongside Doctor Pershing also gets a full-on hero shot, and is therefore Important. 
    • The Armourer now appears to be sporting a gold helmet. Not sure if they did before...?
    • A number of the Mandos appear to have a blue-based helmet colour scheme in the early land battle scene.

If I had to guess where all this was leading:

• Factional Mandalorian in-fighting - Bo & co vs the Armourer's more traditionalist factions, with Din caught in the middle. With their most precious artifact in hand.
  • If someone's trying to reference one of the legends of Mandalore with their colours, there may be another faction as well.
  • Eventually factions unite against some kind of Imperial and/or criminal threat... or don't and Mandalore falls again.
  • The Comms Officer may well be a spy - possibly another member of the Wren clan.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

5 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Well, here goes:

• All the Mandos in the battle scenes are helmeted. Bo appears without hers briefly when talking to Grogu. 
  • Okay, so "battle scenes". Yeah, I guess I'd want my helmet on, too, at that point.
  • The VERY IMPORTANT HELMET is not Bo-Katan's, as she's shown wearing the owl helm later. It's much simpler, but elegantly painted: blue gradiented to cyan around the mouth area, with silver reinforcement along the cheeks. Reverse image searching doesn't give any specific matches, but did pull up a lot of references to Canderous Ordo. He'd be a bit old to be in this series, but an idea on that below.
  • I finally broke down and went looking for a shot of this helmet.  Assuming the one I found is the same one, there are a couple of striking points in the shot: (1) The helmet lens.  All Mandalorians I've known so far have a slope to their eye lenses, some more than others.  This helm has a strong block-y capital "T" look, no slope.  (2) As you noted, the helmet is "much simpler".  There's no decoration besides the color.  Mandalorians like to personalize their helmets.  This suggests to me that this is a brand new helmet.  Which leads to the next point.  (3) the holder and background:  The holder is wearing armorer's gloves, and the wardrobe is the color of the Armorer's attire.  And to the viewer's right, you can see the blue flames of the forge in the background.  (4) the specific blue colors.  I know of two groups (there may be others) that use this blue: Deathwatch, which rescued foundling Din Djarin and the Night Owls, who might be seen as a break-off from Deathwatch.  So...my guess is this is a brand new helmet created by the Armorer of the Deathwatch "cult", possible for Din Djarin, possible as a reacceptance gift for fulfilling his vow to atone and trying to return to the fold.  It may also be that they create a helmet for him to join the Night Owls, though I don't see the Armorer as being cooperative in that regard.  Alternatively, it might be either a helmet for a new character joining Deathwatch, or a flashback to Din getting his first Deathwatch helmet.
  • There are three Frik-type creatures working together on something.
  • Oh cool!  So we're not doing the whole Yoda thing where one character represents the entire race.  Look forward to seeing more of these Star Wars "Fraggles".  This might give Grogu someone to interact with around his size.
  • The unknown Imperial ship is big, very black and kinda chonky - thicker "sandwich" filling than usual between the diamond top and bottom structures.  I got nothing.  I do suspect their saving a Thrawn reveal for the Ahsoka series, but then we'd didn't expect two episodes of Boba Fett to be extensions of The Mandalorian, so who knows?  I keep thinking this has got to be Moff Gideon somehow, though he's in custody (unless he escaped).  This might be because he's Imperial Intelligence, and I believe they're one of the "everything in black" groups.
  • The final shot shows the Gauntlet (silver, not red) hovering over a planet. As the clouds part, a distinctive round cityscape in a desert becomes visible below. Chunks of ruined dome are visible on one side with smaller wall pieces around the rim: the remains of four graceful arcing structures can be seen, along with a small number of large buildings. Not quite like Boomtown, more ghost town. 
  • Okay, so not Maul's ship, unless a new paint job.  As to the city dome, you mean...
  • image.png.16015fb9c481ac6b93a841aec9cccea2.png  Gallifrey falls no more! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
  • Three other notes:
    • The Imperial comms officer who's been working alongside Doctor Pershing also gets a full-on hero shot, and is therefore Important. 
    • The Armourer now appears to be sporting a gold helmet. Not sure if they did before...? 
    • Yes, her helmet was gold before, though, since she's been dwelling in tunnels the lighting may have been creating odd distortions of that color.
    • A number of the Mandos appear to have a blue-based helmet colour scheme in the early land battle scene. 
    • This is probably the Night Owls, if Bo Katan is there, though there may be Deathwatch among them.  Bo used to be associated with that organization, though it became a strained relationship and the rules regarding helmets were clearly much different during that time.

If I had to guess where all this was leading:

• Factional Mandalorian in-fighting - Bo & co vs the Armourer's more traditionalist factions, with Din caught in the middle. With their most precious artifact in hand. 
  • This sounds both cool, and quite probable.  It's clear Din has never matured in some key areas due to the repression he was unaware that the "cult" applied to his training.
  • If someone's trying to reference one of the legends of Mandalore with their colours, there may be another faction as well. 
  • Which brings up a question of where are the Wren Clan and Fenn Rau? Did they survive the attempt to exterminate the Mandalorians?  Wren clan is often seen in yellow/gold and steel grey.  Fenn Rau had an armor that was at times blue/grey or blue/white with red or gold trim.  There was a faction of Mandalorians loyal to the empire.  I think they used a white/red armor.
  • Eventually factions unite against some kind of Imperial and/or criminal threat... or don't and Mandalore falls again. 
  • I am of a concern that Bo Katan will ultimately be a tragic character.  Another failure to protect and lead Mandalore would cement her fate.
  • The Comms Officer may well be a spy - possibly another member of the Wren clan. 
  • I don't recall this character from the show.  Does he have Asian features?  If so, he may be Tristan Wren, brother to Sabine from Star Wars: Rebels.

While y'all wait there are a couple nerd shows for ya - 'Icons Unearthed: Star Wars' which seems to be mainly Marcia Lucas talking about production stuff and 'Light & Magic' which is pretty obviously an ILM documentary. Former is weekly on Vice (which is evidently a channel of some sort), first ep was Tuesday, and the latter in a couple weeks on D+.

• Like 2

I do like the behind the scenes stuff on D+. In the very early days when content was a bit thinner on the ground found a couple of great bits. (I signed up specifically to get Onward when it came out, and then bastard Sky said nope... no metal fantasy journeys for you here, kids, not till we're done with it...)

..ahem. The Imagineering Story is about building the parks - and not saccharine. It's surprisingly frank about where the Mouse screwed up, especially their near-terminal 80s financial problems - and trying to understand non-American cultures (Japan, China... and The French.) Plus it's nice to see fellow nerds getting to build stuff and dealing with ludicrous practical challenges in a fantasy setting. 

The other one is Frank and Ollie - two of Disney's original Nine Old Men, inspirational animators, and grumpy old best mates who'd been taking the mickey out of each other since about 1936. (And yes, even they make it into a cape movie: they're the two old dudes on the bench in The Incredibles, "that's how you do it... old school." "Yup. No school like old school.") It's a lovely, funny, gentle watch with much animation nerdery going on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Gallifrey falls no more! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I don't think that's a crossover the nerds are ready for yet, unless the Ahsoka logo is hinting at more timey-wimey malarkey than we thought. Then again, it also looks like The Map from Time Bandits. 

I don't recall this character from the show. 

The Comms Officer is played by fine journeywoman sci-fi actress Katy O'Brian (Z Nation, Black Lightning, Agents Of SHIELD and a few others). Not the biggest character by a mile, so getting a Filoni Hero Shot™ in the trailer is a big thing. Given that Liu Bordizzo is the canon Sabine, it's probably not her, but could be another undercover Mando or resistance fighter who's been quietly sabotaging Gideon the whole time.

BTW, it's not often I do "realism" quibbles for a space wizard thread, but where the hell are the rest of Gideon's crew (complement ~200 + 200 troops for a Vigil-class) while all this is going on? Stuck in a lunch queue arguing if they need a tray?.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

7 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

The other one is Frank and Ollie - two of Disney's original Nine Old Men, inspirational animators, and grumpy old best mates who'd been taking the mickey out of each other since about 1936. (And yes, even they make it into a cape movie: they're the two old dudes on the bench in The Incredibles, "that's how you do it... old school." "Yup. No school like old school.") It's a lovely, funny, gentle watch with much animation nerdery going on.

a lifetime ago when I had dreams of being a Disney animator, I found a library copy of Frank & Ollie's book The Illusion of Life and spent weeks reading, re-reading, and practicing every sketch they put into the book.  The old library card checkout system showed my name on the card filling both front and back.  Sadly, it proved to be the road not traveled, but my life, and some of my artwork, are richer for it.  One of the great things about the book is that it is far more than just an artist's lesson: it is rich in stories of the lives of Walt and his fascinating Nine Old Men, and even goes into details about others, such as the ladies in the cell painting room who told Walt that Jiminy Cricket had too cold of a look, and showed Walt that applying a little bit of rouge before painting Jiminy's cheeks really warmed up his appearance. The book also details the best practical joke I ever heard about, when the animators decided to pull a fast one on Walt and recommended a particular turtle food for his tiny pet shop turtle in his office.

• 3 months later

Pulling this back up to share a thought: 

In doing some reading I discovered that the wonderful actor Julian Glover is still alive at 87.  His Star Wars character was a very competent Imp general, Veers.  Veers managed to survive the Death Star's destruction (he was away from base at the time) and survive The Empire Strikes Back (early drafts had the character killed).  He's even managed to survive the books as one book that killed the character has been relegated by Disney to the Legends dustbin.   Veers was supposed to be in The Return of the Jedi, but Glover's schedule didn't permit it.

Here's my thought:  The Mandalorian kicked off several projects set in the 9 years after Return of the Jedi, making it about 15 years since the Death Star blew up (15 ABY approx.)  Why not get Julian Glover back as competent Gen. Veers for one last run?  Finish him off this time.  Yes, Julian is much older now than Veers would be, but that can be managed, if with makeup wizardry, he's shown to be badly burned and injured possibly due to the events in Return of the Jedi.  So burn makeup, or possibly even cybernetics as a look.  An injured lung rasp might suffice for an aged voice.  Make Veers one of the architect generals of the First Order, and therefore a key target for the New Republic.  I don't care which show the character might end up in, but it could be some glorious continuity and a chance to see one of the dwindling number of actors from the original movie.

Edited by Techwright