Focused Feedback: New Commands

• Developer

New Roleplaying & System Commands

Local Chat Range 

• Commands have been added that allow you to dynamically set the range that you hear Local messages and how far your own messages carry.
    • '/speak_range' - Set the maximum range that your local chat and emotes may carry.
    • '/listen_range' - Set the maximum range of local chat and emotes that you want to listen to.
  • You cannot set these to values above the maximums of the zone you are in.
  • Setting the value to 0 using the command will restore the default range.
  • Entering no number in the command will show you what your current ranges are set to.

Dice Rolls

• New '/roll' command added. It prints to all valid players in range of the Emote channel using system text color to ensure rolls can't be spoofed.
  • The command can be used with a single number to roll a random number within that range.
    • Example: '/roll 50' will return a random number between 1 & 50.
  • The command also accepts dice inputs up to 100 dice with 100,000 sides.
    • Example: '/roll 4d20' will return a roll of four twenty-sided dice.
  • '/roll' with no parameters will return a random number between 1 & 20; A single twenty-sided die roll.
  • It also accepts an alternate format of /roll #x#.
    • Example: '/roll 4x20' will return a roll of four twenty-sided dice.

Distance To Target

• New option added to display the distance between you and your target on the target window:

DistanceCheck.PNG.fa306b8dd16e8edb8ba5ab982e33b54f.PNG

• This setting toggle is found in the menu under Options -> Windows -> Window -> Show Target Distance.
  • This can also be turned on or off by using the '/target_distance 1' and '/target_distance 0' commands respectively.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Love love LOVE the target distance addition to the target window. I only have 2 bits of feedback: I think the distance number should be moved to below the target's name; having it above the name kinda looks like "let's just get this number on-screen so we can make sure it works, we'll make it look pretty later." And perhaps an option to just replace the target's supergroup/enemy group display with the distance? /target_distance 2 perhaps? SG/enemy group is a fairly superfluous piece of info that I don't really need to have displayed in the target window all the time, and that way the window doesn't have to be made bigger to accommodate the distance display.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

The new speak range stuff is cool but there's no guidance on how it works. Is the number you give in feet? Yards? Is it a % of normal range? What ARE the normal ranges? I know Pocket D has less range than usual, but what ARE those ranges?

25 minutes ago, Dispari said:

The new speak range stuff is cool but there's no guidance on how it works. Is the number you give in feet? Yards? Is it a % of normal range? What ARE the normal ranges? I know Pocket D has less range than usual, but what ARE those ranges?

3 hours ago, The Curator said:

Local Chat Range 

• Commands have been added that allow you to dynamically set the range that you hear Local messages and how far your own messages carry.
    • '/speak_range' - Set the maximum range that your local chat and emotes may carry.
    • '/listen_range' - Set the maximum range of local chat and emotes that you want to listen to.
  • Entering no number in the command will show you what your current ranges are set to.

As an addition to this - I would have thought that using the command would have at least showed the default speaking range if it wasn't set. But on testing, that isn't the case. That'd be nice to have, I think.

Edited by Blackfeather

As the pink haired above said. I'm not sure if all that freedom in fine tuning the listening and sending range is absolutely necessary. Perhaps just three toggles (I.E /speak_range 1, /speak_range 2, /speak_range 3) with 1 for normal, 2 for medium range, and 3 for close?

I lean in no particular way in this, though adding to the patch notes the normal distance might be good.

• Commands have been added that allow you to dynamically set the range that you hear Local messages and how far your own messages carry. The current normal is 50y.

I like having that distance fine tuning freedom. Sometimes I may want to not hear just this one person who would otherwise be in range, and not want either of us to move. Especially with the ability to see range to target.

However. The range to target displayed and the speak_range/listen_range should be in the same units. 

• City Council
35 minutes ago, Dispari said:

Hmm, looks like the older patch notes got used and not the revised ones that include that information.

It's in feet. The default (and max) distance in most zones is 100. Pocket D is 50.

• Thanks 2

Wasn't /roll already a thing on live?

The rest is awesome in general. Even for non-RP.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• Retired Lead Game Master

Yep, many player events and games were very limited by the original roll being only a 1-6, and worked around it to - not ideal success.

Looking forward to all the creative events the player base will do with the new options, they are already planning on uses.

7 hours ago, The Curator said:

Commands have been added that allow you to dynamically set the range that you hear Local messages and how far your own messages carry.

What's the use case imagined for /speak_range? Listenrange I get, and I like that the tech exists and it would be great to be able to set a default speakrange for an SG base eventually, just...how is it useful for players to have control of their own outgoing chat range everywhere they go? So far I'm coming up with more unpleasant/uncomfortable uses than constructive ones myself, just hoping someone can point something out that's gone over my head.

4 hours ago, Vanden said:

Love love LOVE the target distance addition to the target window. I only have 2 bits of feedback: I think the distance number should be moved to below the target's name; having it above the name kinda looks like "let's just get this number on-screen so we can make sure it works, we'll make it look pretty later."

I was thinking it might look better on the left.  In the example shown, we have "Giant Monster" on the right and blank space on the left.

I don't recall off the top of my head, but is there ANY enemy that uses the otherwise empty space to the left of their name and faction?

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Just now, Ironblade said:

I was thinking it might look better on the left.  In the example shown, we have "Giant Monster" on the right and blank space on the left.

I don't recall off the top of my head, but is there ANY enemy that uses the otherwise empty space to the left of their name and faction?

That's where Combat Level goes.

11 hours ago, Vanden said:

That's where Combat Level goes.

Buuut, thinking further on this, they could just put combat level AND enemy rank on the right or left side of the Target window together, so it says "Level 18 Lieutenant" or "Level 54 Elite Boss" or what have you on the one side, then on the other have distance to target. No need for multiple settings with that method.

Edit: Scratch that, don't think it would work. I forgot how crowded the window can get when targeting players, between level shifts and archetype+origins. Replacing SG name is probably the only way to get distance in there without making the window bigger.

Edited by Vanden
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, AlwaysAPrice said:

What's the use case imagined for /speak_range? Listenrange I get, and I like that the tech exists and it would be great to be able to set a default speakrange for an SG base eventually, just...how is it useful for players to have control of their own outgoing chat range everywhere they go?

I see this as support for roleplayers who wish to have discussions that are technically public but not widely overheard. I expect it will be used quite a bit, and am really glad to see it being added to the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, The Curator said:

Local Chat Range 

I see a possibility of a slight improvement here since no one seemed to know the default range until Number Six told us.  What if entering no number showed you your current settings AND the default so it would look like:

"Your current chat range is 60 ft.  (Default range for this zone is 100 ft.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

19 hours ago, AlwaysAPrice said:

What's the use case imagined for /speak_range? Listenrange I get, and I like that the tech exists and it would be great to be able to set a default speakrange for an SG base eventually, just...how is it useful for players to have control of their own outgoing chat range everywhere they go? So far I'm coming up with more unpleasant/uncomfortable uses than constructive ones myself, just hoping someone can point something out that's gone over my head.

It WOULD actually be sick as hell if we could set max speak ranges for our SG bases. Just to lower the barrier to entry for all the RPers talking over each other in clubs.

• Thumbs Up 2

Distance To Target

Question: Does line of sight play into the distance shown?

On 7/12/2022 at 1:43 PM, Vanden said:

and that way the window doesn't have to be made bigger to accommodate the distance display.

what about opposite "giant monster" or below "giant monster" looks like we already arrived at my suggestion(s)

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I made some macros for easy testing 😄 
feel free to edit the values "measured in feet". easily tested using target distance in your target window, using the settings added. 100 being max.

(Worth mentioning, six said pocket D's max range is 50)

• Speak Range:

'/macro_image "Mace_Taunt" "Whisper" "speak_range 3"
'/macro_image "BattleAxe_Taunt" "Indoor Speaking Voice" "speak_range 25"
'/macro_image "TitanWeapons_Taunt" "Outdoor Speaking Voice" "speak_range 50"
'/macro_image "Claws_TauntAoE" "Screaming!" "speak_range 100"

• Listen range:

'/macro "Near" "listen_range 25"
'/macro "Mid" "listen_range 50"
'/macro "Far" "listen_range 100"
e2dcf455a6b55833fc003ca67b9601f4-png.jpg.e6118621579c56f245a5c20dd30b738a.jpg

Top row Whisper - Indoor - Outdoor - Screaming

Config however you want, this is how I'm using them currently! 

Edited by Terius
Clarity
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later