Sonic/?

00Troy00

Personally I only typically play a set that has ally only dependant buffs on ATs that have a pet or pets that I can use said ally only buffs on. That said I personally wouldn't play the set on a Defender. I do really like pairing it with one of my Gravity controllers however it seems to fit thematically.

If you did have to play it on a Defender, I'd probably pair it with Dark Blast and go all in with the THDB so that even though your padding your team's resistance, you'll be also reducing the frequency that they get hit. If not dark possibly Psi as you can get some pretty good -recharge debuffs applied with your attacks reducing the frequency of incoming attacks as well.

I had a Sonic defender back on live when it first came out (I5). Since then, Sonic has largely been overshadowed by Thermal, which brings more to the table. Sonic does have a few abilities that Thermal doesn't (Dispersion and Disruption), but two of the powers are useless (Cage and Repulsion) and the T9 is meh. It's not a bad set, but it falls pretty far down the list of defenders sought after by teams (there's really no reason to solo Sonic as a defender). If you're looking to maximize -res, Sonic Attack or Beam Rifle would be good combos.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

I took a Sonic/Dark/(I forget) to 50 back in the early to mid teen issues as part of a static team of 5.   Pretty much agree with Uun though it was very different as a static team in terms of use.  I will say Sonic Cage isn't useless as much as very niche.  You'll never miss it on teams.  And Liquefy really needs a look at especially in terms of recharge.  Clarity is a Clear Mind clone that comes crazy late but is subject to the same pros and cons late game in terms of utility as Clear Mind.

Edit:  PS that static team was dark themed and had silly amounts of to hit debuff going for it.  Our DM/Willpower scrapper backed by resistance and defense buffs certainly loved it.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drgantz said:

I didn't know that Sonic Blast was getting nerfed.   I was planning on making a Def with Sonic Blast.  I'm still trying to decide on a primary.  Maybe I shouldn't if Sonic is getting nerfed.

It's intended as a buff. Check the beta patch notes and the dev posts on the focused feedback.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

8 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

Basically with the new sonic blast, you personally will do more damage, but the team will do less damage than with the old sonic blast.

Obviously between the newness of the changes and a dead computer I've had no chance to try it out but I half wonder if it will truly result in less damage for a team as while the max -resist is lower I've a feeling it might be easier to maintain the debuff over time as the duration of the debuffs has increased and the time spent in cast/animation has been reduced.  The peaks and valleys have been smoothed out especially if paired with a busier set, for example, an Emp/Sonic.  Any thoughts from Beta on that?

On 7/13/2022 at 11:23 PM, MoonSheep said:

with the upcoming nerfs to sonic blast i’d agree and go with sonic/dark, building in a good amount of -acc for additional team support

I'd heard that Sonic Blast was going to suck for anyone but a defender. Do you know why that is?

2 hours ago, 00Troy00 said:

I'd heard that Sonic Blast was going to suck for anyone but a defender. Do you know why that is?

other way around - it’ll be great for other ATs but a large nerf for defenders who pick it solely for its debuffing values

see my whining and foot stomping here:

On 7/13/2022 at 11:23 PM, MoonSheep said:

with the upcoming nerfs to sonic blast i’d agree and go with sonic/dark, building in a good amount of -acc for additional team support

I've heard there were going to be nerfs, but I have no idea what those are.

11 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

other way around - it’ll be great for other ATs but a large nerf for defenders who pick it solely for its debuffing values

see my whining and foot stomping here:

I agree. That's total BS.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:39 AM, Uun said:

I had a Sonic defender back on live when it first came out (I5). Since then, Sonic has largely been overshadowed by Thermal, which brings more to the table. Sonic does have a few abilities that Thermal doesn't (Dispersion and Disruption), but two of the powers are useless (Cage and Repulsion) and the T9 is meh. It's not a bad set, but it falls pretty far down the list of defenders sought after by teams (there's really no reason to solo Sonic as a defender). If you're looking to maximize -res, Sonic Attack or Beam Rifle would be good combos.

Thermal is another possibility I've been considering.