Anyone play Psy/Sonic?

Jawbreaker

Have a concept in mind and think these two powersets fit perfectly. It looks like the shorter range/melee range of /sonic would work well with Psy. Anyone play one to higher levels? Not looking for uber, just like it when sets synergize well

Edited by Jawbreaker

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

• 2 weeks later

yes!  This is a great combo IMO.  I was going for a classic Jean Grey type character and wanted multiple damage types.  It has a lot of controls, especially holds and stuns.  Also the sound barrier is great and has nice FX animation.  Psychic Blast has some great powers, I usually rotate through Dart, TK Blast, and Lance without needing Mental Blast or Will Domination at all.  I also just like the little lance FX more.  Psy Tornado costs a lot of energy but it's fantastic for keeping enemies on their asses.  Plus, since it's a targeted AoE and not a cone, you can use it while in melee range and help your survivability. 

I highly recommend putting a Chance for +2 Mag Hold into the PBAoE power in Sonic Manipulation.  It becomes a very reliable way to hold a bunch of enemies while doing decent damage, especially if you pop the Sonic Build Up power first.  Add a couple of Sonic Cages as needed.  And since you're already in melee range, you can hit the boss with Earsplitter for another layer of hold.  If it all times right, you can hold an entire group, pick them apart one by one, and knock em all down once they start to emerge from the hold.

There's a similar stun-layering that's possible, but it uses two powers that many would skip.  The tradeoff for the low damage is that you can do it from range - Sound Cannon followed by Scramble Thoughts on one of the tougher baddies.

I will note - as a huge fan and devoted user of Martial Combat's infinitely useful Ki Push ability...  there's something set up differently with Sonic Thrust.  I don't know if it's the scaling, or the ratio of knockback to repel, but above level 15 or so that power will send enemies to the fucking moon.  This can be helpful or not helpful depending what map you're on and how you feel about knockback.  But I think Ki Push has the perfect balance of repositioning power, fun factor, and usefulness, whereas Sonic Thrust needs a little more consideration on teams.  It is, however, hilarious. 

I went for Fire Mastery and have another hold, and of course Rise of the Phoenix, but there are plenty of good options for this build.  Soul Mastery is also a great set that has one of my favorite FX animations in the game on Soul Storm. 

On 7/25/2022 at 9:25 AM, capricorpse said:

yes!  This is a great combo IMO.  I was going for a classic Jean Grey type character and wanted multiple damage types.  It has a lot of controls, especially holds and stuns.  Also the sound barrier is great and has nice FX animation.  Psychic Blast has some great powers, I usually rotate through Dart, TK Blast, and Lance without needing Mental Blast or Will Domination at all.  I also just like the little lance FX more.  Psy Tornado costs a lot of energy but it's fantastic for keeping enemies on their asses.  Plus, since it's a targeted AoE and not a cone, you can use it while in melee range and help your survivability. 

I highly recommend putting a Chance for +2 Mag Hold into the PBAoE power in Sonic Manipulation.  It becomes a very reliable way to hold a bunch of enemies while doing decent damage, especially if you pop the Sonic Build Up power first.  Add a couple of Sonic Cages as needed.  And since you're already in melee range, you can hit the boss with Earsplitter for another layer of hold.  If it all times right, you can hold an entire group, pick them apart one by one, and knock em all down once they start to emerge from the hold.

There's a similar stun-layering that's possible, but it uses two powers that many would skip.  The tradeoff for the low damage is that you can do it from range - Sound Cannon followed by Scramble Thoughts on one of the tougher baddies.

I will note - as a huge fan and devoted user of Martial Combat's infinitely useful Ki Push ability...  there's something set up differently with Sonic Thrust.  I don't know if it's the scaling, or the ratio of knockback to repel, but above level 15 or so that power will send enemies to the fucking moon.  This can be helpful or not helpful depending what map you're on and how you feel about knockback.  But I think Ki Push has the perfect balance of repositioning power, fun factor, and usefulness, whereas Sonic Thrust needs a little more consideration on teams.  It is, however, hilarious. 

I went for Fire Mastery and have another hold, and of course Rise of the Phoenix, but there are plenty of good options for this build.  Soul Mastery is also a great set that has one of my favorite FX animations in the game on Soul Storm. 

Oh thank you for all the input, it helps a lot! I'm definitely going to start leveling this one up!

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes